New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why does Eugene WANT to get into the LG afterlife?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    It's so frustrating to hear people repeat the same arguments after they've been discussed to death. This isn't necessarily true at all.
    You're big on irony I see.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    You're big on irony I see.
    Not nearly as big as you are on wishful thinking.

I wouldn't have to repeat myself if people didn't consistently show up saying "But what about X?" when X has been discussed at length already.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Not nearly as big as you are on wishful thinking.
    Please explain what you think I am wishing in my thoughts?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    burning Belkar's paperwork,
    V's paperwork. Not sure why am pointing that out really.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

I wouldn't have to repeat myself if people didn't consistently show up saying "But what about X?" when X has been discussed at length already.
    Welcome to the forum. ;)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GreyTraveller View Post
    Welcome to the forum. ;)
    Welcome to life ;)

There was nothing left under the sun when the preacher wrote Ecclesiastes thousands of years ago. Elon Musk thinks we're living in a computer simulation. A very in depth analysis of that proposition was written and expounded by Rene Descartes in 1637. No one bothers to read the philosophies and discourses of those who have gone before us, so naturally forum posts keep getting made asking the same things over and over again...
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    No one bothers to read the philosophies and discourses of those who have gone before us, so naturally forum posts keep getting made asking the same things over and over again...
    Well it is easier said than done. Even with the standard search feature of a forum it's not always straight forward to find what you're looking for. Also taking part in a discussion brings life to the forum, it's not a library, but a forum after all.

As it is, the way forums are ordered, with linear threads and zero cataloging, is in my opinion too unordered to be able to easily generate an automatic response process to already answered questions, but again I don't think it'd be a proper forum if people's replies were not of indistinguishable in every part except for the text they contain. That is to say every opinion is equal and only subject to a moderator.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

As others have said, he'd obviously be happy in the Debate Hall Where You're Always Right.

Generally, I think Eugene wants to live in an "optimal" world - not just optimal for him, but optimal for everyone. He's a utilitarian, basically. He probably hates seeing people suffer around him because it's suboptimal. The Lawful Good afterlife satisfies that need - he can look out the window and say "this place is well-run", which he probably wouldn't say in any other afterlife.

(I suspect he'd say the LN afterlife is directionless and pointless; the LE afterlife is counterproductive; and all the non-lawful afterlives are even worse. Only the LG afterlife would qualify as well-run in his book. Even if he's probably a bit annoyed at their policy over blood oaths at this point.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-08-21 at 03:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Please explain what you think I am wishing in my thoughts?
    I think you make a lot of "devil's advocate"-style post where you invent scenarios or off-panel information in order to contradict someone's argument.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you make a lot of "devil's advocate"-style post where you invent scenarios or off-panel information in order to contradict someone's argument.
    How is that wishful thinking?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For my two cents on the topic, I present this analogy: why does someone want to get into a country club they were denied membership at years ago? Even if they really don't like anyone else there, don't play golf much, and don't very much agree with the politics of anyone there?

It simply shows a degree of achievement, and furthermore, it's thumbing one's nose at the social order. "I'm important enough that you CAN'T keep me out. So there."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

12. - Top - End - #72

Because it's a nice place to spend the rest of your existence in.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    As others have said, he'd obviously be happy in the Debate Hall Where You're Always Right.

Generally, I think Eugene wants to live in an "optimal" world - not just optimal for him, but optimal for everyone. He's a utilitarian, basically. He probably hates seeing people suffer around him because it's suboptimal. The Lawful Good afterlife satisfies that need - he can look out the window and say "this place is well-run", which he probably wouldn't say in any other afterlife.

(I suspect he'd say the LN afterlife is directionless and pointless; the LE afterlife is counterproductive; and all the non-lawful afterlives are even worse. Only the LG afterlife would qualify as well-run in his book. Even if he's probably a bit annoyed at their policy over blood oaths at this point.)
    I have to wonder just how many lost souls are camping outside of Arcadia waiting for their blood oaths to expire. While I don't feel that wrath and vengeance were all that critical (now and before death) to Eugene, it certainly is an issue. But Eugene is the only one waiting outside of Celestia, I'm sure there are plenty in Arcadia (running down the insufficiently good is a huge pastime in Arcadia).

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Because it's a nice place to spend the rest of your existence in.
    Pretty much my opinion too. He doesn't seem to want people around him to hurt, but he seems to think of himself first before thinking about others.
    But maybe we'll see if that's the only reason in the future ?

15. - Top - End - #75

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    We see Eugene's gravestone in OtOoPC. He stayed dead for at least some time between resurrections, since at one point the dates read "1124-1143, 1144-1149".

The complete gravestone is as follows:
    Eugene Greenhilt
    (1102-1124, 1124-1143, 1144-1149, 1149-1158, 1158-1159, 1159-1168, 1168-1180)

Master Wizard
    Devoted Husband
    Passable Father
    Quote Originally Posted by nleseul View Post
    Hmm. Quick mental calculation, then, from memory. I think Roy was about 20 years old when Eugene "really" died, right? Meaning that he would have remembered one death and resurrection in 1168 when he was about 8, but no others.
    ~25 I believe.

Interestingly when Eugene died in 1168 he likely met with Eric (or at least would have had the opportunity too), and the deaths in 1158 and 1159 (and to a lesser extent 1168) when Roy was young might be what Sara remembers disfondly.
    Hmmm... I was hoping for Roy to be 20 on that, because it would lead to possibilities:

- the 1168 resurrection could actually be from the same accident that killed Eric;

- the 1158 and 1159 could be just after Eugene meets Sara, which combined with Roy's imminent arrival in 1160 convinces Eugene to quit the adventuring.

Whereas a 25 yo Roy at Eugene's death means Eugene meets Sara before 1155, maybe not long after the 1149 resurrection, but somehow manages to get himself killed when Roy is about 3, 4 and 13, which is quite a lot for someone who had apparently quit adventuring.

I'd also go with Eugene simply not remembering any of the details of his interviews - we know Roy doesn't know anything about what happens beyond the gates, but has he shown any memories of the interview with the deva?

It's quite possible Eugene had follow up reviews where he was told in 1143, 1149, 1158 and 1159 that, as he was an LG (then, at least) adventurer, all he had to do was clear up this BOoV business once he got raised, and all would be well. (The 1124 interview was quite likely before he swore the oath)

The 1168 date is more interesting, as it would have to be after he had abandoned the oath, and quite likely either at the time or after Eric's death. I find it hard to imagine him not getting a reminder of it in 1168, which if he could remember that, would make his surprise in 1180 hard to understand. Possibly he did get the reminder in 1168, was just casual and complacent about it, then realised he needed to tell Roy... in which case in 1180 he was somehow hoping to just sneak in without mentioning it.

(But, on the whole, I really think the gravestone was a joke and we weren't meant to pay too much attention to the detailed timeline)
    Last edited by DeliaP; 2016-09-07 at 07:22 AM.
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Wait... Roy has died and come back. In the interval, he was allowed to enter Celestia, and had a little weighing of the soul with the deva. Eugene has died several times, as noted above, but never stayed dead for more than a year until his death of old age. So... what were Eugene's previous experiences on the waiting cloud? While pursuing the Oath, was he allowed into the seven heavens, only to be told on his penultimate death that he wasn't following it up so he couldn't get in? Or was he never dead long enough to be judged?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

It hasn't been indicated. All that was depicted in the comic, was him getting partway through the interview (after he died the final time) and going "Oh crap" when the deva runs across the Blood Oath on his record.

I favor "all the previous times, he was resurrected ten minutes later and never spoke to a deva." (Note that Roy didn't get interviewed until after he'd watched the entire Battle of Azure City.)

Other people favor "he got into Celestia every time before."

Neither has real support, neither should be used as evidence for anything else.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It hasn't been indicated. All that was depicted in the comic, was him getting partway through the interview (after he died the final time) and going "Oh crap" when the deva runs across the Blood Oath on his record.

I favor "all the previous times, he was resurrected ten minutes later and never spoke to a deva." (Note that Roy didn't get interviewed until after he'd watched the entire Battle of Azure City.)

Other people favor "he got into Celestia every time before."

Neither has real support, neither should be used as evidence for anything else.
    There was a blip at 1143-1144, unless we want to assume he died on new years that time.

I agree that these can't really be used as evidence either way. After all, given that the deva didn't even bring up the Blood Oath for Roy until it was mentioned, the devas might just go 'adventuring while under a Blood Oath is trying to fulfill said oath.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    There was a blip at 1143-1144, unless we want to assume he died on new years that time.
    That could be happened before he swore the oath. According to the unofficial timeline:

~1144 After visiting the Oracle of the Sunken valley, Eugene learns the identity of Fyron's murderer. Some time after this, after a drunken visit to a bar, he visits a tattoo parlour and has a tattoo representing a Blood Oath of Vengence placed on his back.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeliaP View Post
    (But, on the whole, I really think the gravestone was a joke and we weren't meant to pay too much attention to the detailed timeline)
    He himself used it as a source:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...07&postcount=4
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Heh, adding in the death/resurrection dates:

1102-1124, Just as Eugene finishes his official apprenticeship with Fyron (an accident?)

1124-1143, Exactly after Fyron is killed, but before swearing blood oath! (Eugene's first adventuring attempts? Perhaps the length of time was because being lower level, it took his adventuring buddies a bit of time to get together the price of a raise dead?)

1144-1149, During Eugene's adventuring.

1149-1158, 1158-1159, After Roy is born, before Eric is born, but after Eugene is supposed to have given up adventuring?

1159-1168, After Eric dies, after Julia is born.

1168-1180. Natural death.

Looks to me that of his seven deaths, only two were while adventuring. Four seem most likely to be magical accidents (perhaps contributes to his carelessness over Eric's safety - he just didn't take the danger as seriously?) or else he must have been just generally reckless or unlucky.

Anyway, doesn't answer the question of whether Eugene got into heaven, or had an interview with a Deva, following deaths 3-6, the ones after the BoOV was sworn. Quite possibly we have:

Death 1: Judged LG, preliminaries dealt with, gets into heaven temporarily.
    Death 2: Case reviewed, nothing new, gets into heaven temporarily, may have stayed there a while.
    Death 3: First post-BoOV. May have been raised immediately, by adventuring buddies, so no time for a case review.
    Deaths 4-5: Ought to be post-adventures. Happening twice in quick succession indicates still pursuing dangerous occupations - perhaps dangerous enough to keep raise dead's handy. Possibly raised quickly, especially if still being called on to adventure (protect the town under attack etc.)
    Death 6: No idea about this one, I mean it's post-Eric and post-Julia so he really should have retired from adventuring and quit the dangerous experiments by then. How was he raised so quickly that he didn't at least get a case review?

It's possible that after Death 2, he gets access to the revolving door for Deaths 3-6, because it's now just assumed that he'll be raised if it's not a natural death. Only after Death 7, which is natural and therefore permanent, do they conduct a full case review, and then the BoOV comes up....
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's so frustrating to hear people repeat the same arguments after they've been discussed to death. This isn't necessarily true at all.
    I don't live on this subforum, so the polite thing to do would be to link me to whatever it is you think I should have read rather than assuming I'm being willfully obdurate.

Unless of course, you don't actually think whatever you have is particularly persuasive evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't live on this subforum, so the polite thing to do would be to link me to whatever it is you think I should have read rather than assuming I'm being willfully obdurate.

Unless of course, you don't actually think whatever you have is particularly persuasive evidence.
    Nice passive-aggressive digs there, Guy Preaching Politeness.

I could respond in kind: "Why don't you tell me where the conclusive evidence that Eugene was approved and about to be sent up is? Unless of course, you don't actually think whatever you have is particularly persuasive evidence."

Since you're making the assertive case, the onus to provide evidence is on you anyway. Can't prove a negative.

But to keep this from becoming protracted, I'll just say that there's no evidence to that end at all, merely evidence that Eugene was in the middle of being evaluated when the Blood Oath was discovered. On top of that, the Giant pretty pointedly asked, in response to questions about Eugene's Lawful Goodness, "Is Eugene in Celestia yet?" which I took as a pretty clear indicator that people who assumed Eugene passed the evaluation and would be sent up as soon as the Blood Oath was completed were jumping the gun.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

This isn't a thread about whether Eugene is LG, anyway. This is a thread about why Eugene wants to get into the LG afterlife - why he prefers to think of himself as LG, or why he feels he'd be happier there. People have given lots of reasons for that.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Spamalot in the Playground

I could respond in kind: "Why don't you tell me where the conclusive evidence that Eugene was approved and about to be sent up is? Unless of course, you don't actually think whatever you have is particularly persuasive evidence."
    The planetar in SoD explicitly said he didn't see anything serious in Eugene's record. Then he saw the BOoV.

Your rebuttal?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I briefly thought I'd need to rethink my favored explanation. Then DeliaP pointed out that that was before he'd sworn the Blood Oath in the first place. Thanks, DeliaP.

About Death 6--I'd like to point out again that Roy didn't get a case review for hours, when he died. Humor suggests that Eugene got yanked back either just after the deva said "Your turn now, Mr. Greenhilt," or right before the deva said, "Wait, I see a Blood Oath of Vengeance."
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-09-09 at 05:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

The planetar in SoD explicitly said he didn't see anything serious in Eugene's record. Then he saw the BOoV.
    The most common theory on that point is that the Blood Oath of Vengeance was the first serious thing he saw, and didn't look for anything else in Eugene's record pending resolution of the Blood Oath of Vengeance.

My own theory on that point is that the entire interview page is intentionally misleading on whether or not Eugene qualifies for the Lawful Good afterlife; hence why we don't hear what led up to Eugene's "so...am I good here, or what?", nor do we get anything resembling a yes or no answer to that question.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The most common theory on that point is that the Blood Oath of Vengeance was the first serious thing he saw, and didn't look for anything else in Eugene's record pending resolution of the Blood Oath of Vengeance.
    I am dubious as to whether or not that is the most common theory or just the most loudly indicated theory.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2016-09-09 at 07:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

I fail to see why so many people assume the lapse between resurrection in 1143-1144 is any larger than any of the others. Sure, the maximum potential gap is about twice as long, but the minimum potential gap is equally null. Being killed in November 1143 and then being resurrected in February 1144 is a lot shorter than being killed in February 1144 and resurrected in November 1144, for example, and these aren't even extreme examples.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I am dubious as to whether or not that is the most common theory or just the most loudly indicated theory.
    The most common theory for what the interview scene in general meant? I suspect that's the straightforward "the scene implies the Blood Oath is the only thing keeping Eugene out", but that's not what I was talking about.

I was talking about the most common theory for why the interviewer said he didn't see anything serious in Eugene's record, then mentioned the Blood Oath of Vengeance; if Eugene was not necessarily going to be admitted to the Lawful Good afterlife even if the Blood Oath hadn't been a factor.

And while I don't have any way to guess what unstated opinions are, I'm reasonably sure "the interviewer stopped looking" (including the "the interview itself was halted pending completion of the Blood Oath" subset) has come up far more often than "the interviewer was lying" or "the Blood Oath didn't actually constitute 'serious'" but kept Eugene out of the afterlife anyway" (which, on second thought, doesn't even fit the criteria without the interview being halted; since the Blood Oath just being a technicality wouldn't by itself keep Eugene out of the LG afterlife).
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-09-09 at 08:55 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas