New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

A 534 correction

A bull rush cannot crit because it does not involve an attack roll. Abilities which add damage to a successful bull rush cannot be enhanced with a good roll.

If, on the other hand, you have an ability which grants a bull rush on a successful attack, you can get a crit on the attack itself but it won't grant any bonus to your bull rush, nor any additional damage to any abilities which add damage to your bull rush.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    A 531

Yes, but as it's a tactical maneuver you should declare it before the attack.

Edit: I misread your question, Directed Bull Rush states nowhere that it has any effect on damage, therefore no.
    I asked because Directed Bull Rush states you move your opponent additional squares, which add feet moved to the Dragon Tail Slap, which adds to damage. I'm willing to accept the interpretation.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Q 535

Are there any official rules for strangulation?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Q 536

Normally, an animal will not attack an undead unless it has been specially trained. If an animal is affected by a Confusion spell cast by an undead caster, and the "Attack caster with melee or ranged weapons" result is rolled, will the animal still attack the caster if not specially trained to attack undead?

5. - Top - End - #995
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 536

Normally, an animal will not attack an undead unless it has been specially trained. If an animal is affected by a Confusion spell cast by an undead caster, and the "Attack caster with melee or ranged weapons" result is rolled, will the animal still attack the caster if not specially trained to attack undead?
    A 536

Here's my reasoning within the rules. The Confusion spell is a Mind-Affecting Compulsion spell. Creatures of the Animal type are not Mindless; they have minds that can be affected. Therefore, Animals are affected normally by the Confusion spell. They will randomly attack even Undead, disregarding their own instincts and even their senses, odd though this behavior surely is for an Animal. Of course, trained Animals affected by Confusion will disregard their training, too.

In contrast, creatures of the Ooze or Vermin type are not affected by Mind-Affecting spells because they are Mindless. They "choose" to attack automatically, prompted by their senses and following their instincts. Such creatures can be fooled by Illusion spells, but not magically compelled by Mind-Affecting spells such as Confusion.

In the real world, the distinction between mind and instinct is not so clear, but in D&D, it is. Unless your dungeon master imposes a house rule, of course.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2017-02-17 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Changed "subtype" into "type."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 537. Can a synad spend more than 1 pp for higher bonuses to knowledge checks?

7. - Top - End - #997

Q 538

The Hold the Line feat (Complete Adventurer, among others) allows an attack of opportunity against a charging opponent before the attack is resolved.

The Sidestep Charge feat (Expanded Psionics Handbook) gives an attack of opportunity against a charging opponent if the attack miss.

If a character has both feats (and thus Combat Reflexes too), would he get two attacks of opportunity against a charging opponent that miss? Or does it falls under the "no more than one attack for a given opportunity" case from the rules on Attack of Opportunity?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

A 538

You would get both Attacks of Opportunity. They both involve a charging opponent, but they are not the same opportunity - one is based on the charging opponent's movement, and the other is based on the charging opponent's attack. Two distinct things done, two AoO chances. Compare it to having both Hold the Line and something like Robilar's Gambit or Karmic Strike. Or just somebody trying to walk around you (AoO for moving in threatened area) and then performing another triggering action like spellcasting.

A 537
    No. The same source rule applies; although the Synad's bonus is untyped and so will stack with any other bonus, every instance of it comes from the same place - the Synad's racial ability. So while you can spend as many free actions and as many single power points as your DM is willing to put up with, when you actually make the Knowledge check you will take only the highest applicable bonus from this source - +2.

9. - Top - End - #999

Q 539

The Heroics spell (Spell Compendium) temporarily grant a fighter bonus feat, on the condition you meet all the prerequisites.

I'm wondering if you could cast it twice on the same character, the first time to gain the prerequisite feat to another fighter bonus feat granted by the second casting? Or would this fall under the rule that an effect can't stack with itself?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 539

The Heroics spell (Spell Compendium) temporarily grant a fighter bonus feat, on the condition you meet all the prerequisites.

I'm wondering if you could cast it twice on the same character, the first time to gain the prerequisite feat to another fighter bonus feat granted by the second casting? Or would this fall under the rule that an effect can't stack with itself?
    Nothing to add here, other than I was going to ask the exact same question today!

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Q 540: Is there a ranged weapon in 3.5 that doesn't required free hands or being a warforged to use, and uses some kind of ammo. If so, what is it called and what book is it in?
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #1002

BarbarianGuy

Q 541:

What is the fly speed of a Half-Fey Catfolk with 3 levels of Scout?

Quote Originally Posted by RotW p. 92
    A catfolk’s base land speed is 40 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FF p. 89-90
    Speed: All half-fey have butterflylike wings unless the
    base creature has wings already. A half-fey that did not already have wings gains a fly speed equal to twice the base creature’s fastest mode of movement, with good maneuverability.
    So a plain old half-fey catfolk would have a fly speed of 80 feet.

Do later effects which explicitly increase the creature's land speed (Expeditious Retreat, Barbarian's fast movement, Scout's Fast Movement) also add doubly to the Half-fey's fly speed?

I could see adapting the Barbarian Fast Movement entry from Stormwrack to apply to fly speeds rather than swim speeds:
    Quote Originally Posted by SW p. 48
    Fast Movement (Ex): Barbarians who possess a racial swim speed can choose to apply their fast movement bonus to their swim speed instead of their land speed. The choice must be made when the character gains the class feature and cannot be changed later. This benefit still applies only when the barbarian is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load.
    Edit: Stormwrack actually has the exact same entry for Scouts (changing all references of "barbarian" to "scout") on page 51.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-02-22 at 12:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Q 542: What are all the skills affected by size category of a given character?
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 542

Hide and Intimidate are the main ones. Hide has a flat modifier depending on the user's size, while Intimidate has a modifier based on the relative sizes of the user and the target.

While not directly affecting your check results, size also plays a small role in other skills. It directly limits what sorts of mounts you may Ride (it must be at least one size larger than you). It also determines your maximum vertical reach, which may come into play when Jumping. Finally, it doesn't seem possible to Disguise yourself as a different sized creature (or at least, the rules don't mention it as a possibility).

Most skills are not affected by size one way or another.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ettin in the Playground

A 541

No, the new fly speed is calculated and applied when the template is added. It is not recalculated every time the base land speed changes.

An optional rule about transferring the movement bonus to another speed has no impact on other speeds. Introducing such an option would be a houserule.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2017-02-22 at 01:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This is probably a long shot, but I'll try anyway....

Q 543

Is there any equivalent feat like Ride-By Attack, but for a creature flying under its own power (not mounted)? The standard Flyby Attack doesn't work with a charge.

As an aside, does it bother anyone else that Spring Attack, Ride-By Attack, and Flyby Attack all function in completely different ways?? Even the punctuation is inconsistent!

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Orc in the Playground

A 543

I believe if you have a psicrystal or a cohort with ride-by-attack that is mounted on you it might be what you're after?

Q544
    For a legacy weapon, assuming you've met all the other requirements (done the appropriate rituals etc) can you voluntarily decide to stop paying the personal costs? If so will you still retain any abilities you have already payed for?
    Last edited by TIPOT; 2017-02-23 at 07:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    A 543

I believe if you have a psicrystal or a cohort with ride-by-attack that is mounted on you it might be what you're after?
    As, um... colorful as that idea is, I'm really looking for something that doesn't depend on outside assistance. Also, I can't use psionics in this particular campaign.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 545

I was reading up the duskblade and I saw that he doesn't get arcane spell failure with selected armor and shields.

However, if one is using weapon+shield, can he still cast? He may get no ASF, but he still need a free hand for any somatic component, right? Making weapon+shield or two weapon fighting not optimal choices?

Or did I miss something?

20. - Top - End - #1010

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keral View Post
    Q 545

I was reading up the duskblade and I saw that he doesn't get arcane spell failure with selected armor and shields.

However, if one is using weapon+shield, can he still cast? He may get no ASF, but he still need a free hand for any somatic component, right? Making weapon+shield or two weapon fighting not optimal choices?

Or did I miss something?
    A 545
    Use a Buckler.
    Take the Somatic Weaponry feat.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-02-24 at 11:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 546

When a swift hunter has a favored enemy, they can apply their skirmish damage to normally immune creatures. If a Swift Hunter has Favored Enemy(Arcanists), will he overcome the precision damage immunity of a wizard Shapechanged into a construct, or who is wearing fortification armor, or who has the synergy bonus from the Heart of X spells?

ETA: Forgot to put Q number.
    Last edited by Goladar; 2017-02-24 at 06:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This is Q 546
    Quote Originally Posted by Goladar View Post
    When a swift hunter has a favored enemy, they can apply their skirmish damage to normally immune creatures. If a Swift Hunter has Favored Enemy(Arcanists), will he overcome the precision damage immunity of a wizard Shapechanged into a construct, or who is wearing fortification armor, or who has the synergy bonus from the Heart of X spells?

A 546

I don't think that "shapechanged into a construct", or being under the effects of a spell or magic item that protects you from critical hits and precision damage are examples of being "normally immune" to those effects. It is referring to creatures that are immune in their normal state, i.e. as a consequence of their natural creature type.

23. - Top - End - #1013

Q 547 Can an Epic character taking a non-epic Fighter level choose a Fighter Bonus Feat from the Epic Fighter Bonus Feat list?

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

A 547

No, the list is only available to epic fighters:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on the epic fighter
    The epic fighter gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic fighter bonus feats) every two levels after 20th.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on the (regular) fighter
    At 1st level, a fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every two fighter levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 547 expansion

The main point of taking epic classes (including prestige classes) is that they grant epic bonus feats. Whilst every epic character gets an epic feat every three levels, only the epic classes can grant epic feats, any other class can only grant non-epic feats (if it grants any feats).

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

A 546 Yes.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 547 expansion

The main point of taking epic classes (including prestige classes) is that they grant epic bonus feats. Whilst every epic character gets an epic feat every three levels, only the epic classes can grant epic feats, any other class can only grant non-epic feats (if it grants any feats).
    This is only true as long as the bonus feat is restricted in some way. The human paragon for example could select an epic feat as his bonus feat if he took the second class level after level 20:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    At 2nd level, a human paragon gains a bonus feat. Due to the varied talents and adaptable nature of humans, this feat can be any feat for which the human paragon is qualified (he is not restricted to a special list of bonus feats). The character must meet the prerequisites for the bonus feat normally.
    Very few (if any) epic feats require more than 20 levels in a single class.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 548

Can a Bronze Serpent (MM2) heal itself by biting itself?
    Last edited by Xaroth; 2017-02-25 at 02:04 PM.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

A 548

Ask your DM. There are no rules for a creature attacking itself. Also this might not be such a good idea, because a successful bite would also deal the normal bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage. 1d6+10 - (1d8+16)/3 isn't going to be net healing often.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 547 expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    This is only true as long as the bonus feat is restricted in some way. The human paragon for example could select an epic feat as his bonus feat if he took the second class level after level 20:Very few (if any) epic feats require more than 20 levels in a single class.
    Unlike other feats, epic feats can ONLY be acquired in 2 ways:
    1. From character levels (at 21st level, and every three levels thereafter)
    2. From a class that grants, very specifically, "bonus epic feats" (so, epic classes and epic prestige classes)

Therefore, Human Paragon, non-epic Rogue, or anything else that gets you a "bonus feat", does NOT actually give access to epic feats - even if it's without restrictions and you're 21st lvl or higher.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium