Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

A75 No

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Illiteracy
    Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.

A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.
    Emphasis added.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-08-30 at 11:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

For Lung Dragons, can they cast spells like regular dragons can?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

A 076 please number your questions

Since none of the tables in OA pages 152-162 have a Caster Level column, and the group entry for Lung Dragon does not mention any spellcasting ability, it is safe to assume this is not a trait they share with the true dragons listed in the Monster Manual. Note that they do have some spell-like abilities, however.

[edit] I've checked the "official" OA 3.5 update printed in Dragon Issue 218, and this does not add any spellcasting ability to Lung Dragons [/edit]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 77

Can you only have one instance of permanencied spells on you at any time?
    The reason I believe this is the case, is because of how spells work according to the SRD:

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths
    In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

Same Effect with Differing Results
    The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
    Q 78

If Q77's answer is yes, does that mean that, if a permanency was in place and then another one was cast on the same target to permanency a different spell, the originally permanencied spell would begin running down its duration?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

A 77

No, permanency does not have a character as target, but spells (which may be on a character). So you can make multiple spells on a character permanent.

A 78

N/A
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-08-31 at 11:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

A 64: The Orc isn't entirely option less, but you have tied up the move action.

When an immediate action or readied action is used like you describe, it takes place immediately before the action it is interacting with happens but after the previous action completes. The action that it is interacting with then occurs if- and only if- it is still a valid action.

In your example, the Abrupt Jaunt occurs after the orcs move action completes but before the Orcs standard action attack- which then dies not happen because it is no longer a valid action to take.

The orc's move action is over, but be still has a standard action. It's worth noting here that you can always exchange a standard action for a move action - it's rare to do so because you actually want to move twice, but you can do it. That means that, while the orc doesn't have a straightforward way to attack, it can still pursue and close this round.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 79

Does it take any action to transfer a spell into a weapon when using Smiting Spell metamagic?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 80

Lantern Archons have a CL of 3 despite only having 1 HD. (How) does their CL increase when they advance in HD?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 80

The answer can be found here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingM...hallengeRating

As an outsider, a lantern archon's CR increases by 1 for every 2 additional Hit Die.

EDIT to Note: Effectively, this means that a 2 HD lantern archon has the same exact CR as a 1 HD specimen. Similarly, the 3 HD and 4 HD varieties both have an advanced CR of 3 rather than 2. (The standard lantern archon is only CR 2, not CR 3 as stated in your post.)

Damn, I totally misread your question!

A 80 correction

Caster Level for spell-like abilities is not usually based on Hit Die and does not automatically increase as a monster advances. Only in cases where there is no CL specified for the abilities do we assume that it is equal to Hit Dice.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2016-09-01 at 03:09 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 81

The section about intelligent magical items specify that they can be considered creatures (of the Construct type) since they have Int, Wis and Cha scores.

However, how do you assess the effect of a spell or other effect based on a creature's hit dices when used on an intelligent magical item?

For example, what would be the hit dices range of an intelligent Item Familiar (with speech) that receives an Imbue with Spell Ability spell?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2016-09-02 at 04:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 82

Do armor crystals need their own Wilding Clasp, or does putting a Wilding Clasp on armor also count for an armor crystal?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Q 83

Do rays count as ranged weapons for penalties to hit due to being used underwater?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

I seem to have a habit of asking questions that nobody can (or will) answer, but let's try again.

Q84: I recall that there's a race that can quickly create any item out of shadowstuff, but I don't remember what it is. Can anyone give me the name and book?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aetis View Post
    Q 79

Does it take any action to transfer a spell into a weapon when using Smiting Spell metamagic?
    Yes, the casting time of the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Q 82

Do armor crystals need their own Wilding Clasp, or does putting a Wilding Clasp on armor also count for an armor crystal?
    Armor crystals slot into your armor rather than being worn separately. The wilding clasp prevents the armor from melding with you, so it also prevents the crystal from melding with you. No separate clasp is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Q 83

Do rays count as ranged weapons for penalties to hit due to being used underwater?
    Spells that require attack rolls are treated like any other attacks for the purposes of underwater penalties. (RC 149)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    I seem to have a habit of asking questions that nobody can (or will) answer, but let's try again.

Q84: I recall that there's a race that can quickly create any item out of shadowstuff, but I don't remember what it is. Can anyone give me the name and book?
    Shaedling, from Monster Manual V.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Shaedling, from Monster Manual V.
    Thanks. That's been driving me nuts for days.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-09-02 at 12:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Imp

Q 85

If I have a miss chance, let's say 20%, and an ally attempts to affect me with one of the following spells, do all of them suffer the chance to miss?

a) Cure X Wounds
    b) Cure X Wounds Mass
    c) Stabilize
    d) Darts of Life
    e) Close Wounds

(My guess is that yes, all of them can miss)

Q 86

Does Dweomer Vortex need to overcome a 20% miss chance on a target, or does it automatically hit?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-09-02 at 12:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

A 85

No, miss chances only apply to attacks. Not only does healing not constitute an action to harm the target, the spells don't require attack rolls.

Thos may however require an attack roll and thus incur a miss chance if the target is undead.

A 86

No attack roll, no miss chance.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Q87

Do the retraining rules allow you to retrain any feat you possess? If not, what is the limitation, and can you quote the rule?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 87

Here is the entirety of the rules text for feat retraining:
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Hanbook II, page 193
    You can exchange one of the feats you previously selected for another feat. If the new feat has prerequisites, not only must your character meet them in his current state, but you must also be able to show that he met them at the time you chose the previous feat.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Q87

Do the retraining rules allow you to retrain any feat you possess? If not, what is the limitation, and can you quote the rule?
    A87 (Elaboration): As noted above, if you selected the feat, then you can reselect it. The only way I'm aware of to swap out feats you gain through other means (such as the elf's racial Weapon Proficiency feats or most classes' automatic Light Armor Proficiency feat) is through the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-09-02 at 06:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Q 088

Question about the Deathless type - is there any way to use the Knowledge Devotion feat or Dark Knowledge class feature to get bonuses against Deathless?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 089

Looking at their tables, Dragons appear to have different ability score modifiers based on their age category (i.e some with increase consistently, others intermittedly, others remain the same). Is there any rhyme or reason for how these go up, or is it simply unique for each age category?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    A87 (Elaboration): As noted above, if you selected the feat, then you can reselect it. The only way I'm aware of to swap out feats you gain through other means (such as the elf's racial Weapon Proficiency feats or most classes' automatic Light Armor Proficiency feat) is through the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.
    Q90 Follow-up

So to retrain a feat, it has to be a feat that was selected, and retraining allows you to reselect. I assume that you're only allowed to retrain a selected feat into another selected feat if the new feat was an option for that selection in the first place? For instance, if I took Power Attack as a Fighter bonus feat, I could later retrain that into Weapon Focus (another option for Fighter Bonus Feats), but I could not trade it for Skill Focus, since that's not a Fighter Bonus Feat?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 90 That's correct.

Consider that selectable bonus feats such as those granted by levels in Fighter or other classes are considered to be class features. The rules for retraining a class feature indicate that the new selection must have been one you could have originally chosen. Additionally, your new choice cannot make any later class feature choices illegal (although some may automatically alter later options that are based on the first choice, such as the choice of feats you gain from the Ranger's fighting style class feature).

Keep in mind that the general description of retraining is "adjusting a decision you made earlier in your character's career by selecting a different legal option."

25. - Top - End - #145

Imp

The same question, applied to different spell completion and spell trigger items:
    I would ask you to provide a source for the answer to these, if possible

Q 91
    Do potions make use of the imbiber's feats and/or items when the spell stored in them is "cast"? If not, do they use the creator's?
    e.g. Inquisition domain, A ring of enduring arcana, Karma Beads or the feat "Mastery of Day and Night"

Q 92
    Do wands make use of the user's feats and/or items when the spell stored in them is "cast"? If not, do they use the creator's?
    e.g. Inquisition domain, A ring of enduring arcana, Karma Beads or the feat "Mastery of Day and Night"

Q 93
    Do scrolls make use of the user's feats and/or items when the spell stored in them is "cast"? If not, do they use the creator's?

Q 94
    Do staffs make use of the user's feats and/or items when the spell stored in them is "cast"? If not, do they use the creator's?

Q 95
    Do spellstoring weapons make use of the user's feats and/or items when the spell stored in them is "cast"? If not, do they use those of the one who originally charged the spellstoring enchantment?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-09-03 at 02:04 PM. Reason: clarifications

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The general answer is "see the DMG, if it does not say that it does then it does not". There may also be feats or class features that affect this (certainly for wands).

A 91 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

A 92 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

Q 93 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

Q 94 No, but they do use the wielder's stats and caster level (which can be affected by items:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Staffs use the wielder’s ability score and relevant feats to set the DC for saves against their spells. Unlike with other sorts of magic items, the wielder can use his caster level when activating the power of a staff if it’s higher than the caster level of the staff.

This means that staffs are far more potent in the hands of a powerful spellcaster. Because they use the wielder’s ability score to set the save DC for the spell, spells from a staff are often harder to resist than ones from other magic items, which use the minimum ability score required to cast the spell. Not only are aspects of the spell dependant on caster level (range, duration, and so on) potentially higher, but spells from a staff are harder to dispel and have a better chance of overcoming a target’s spell resistance.
    Q 95 No - they use whatever the caster use when the spell was stored.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2016-09-04 at 02:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    The general answer is "see the DMG, if it does not say that it does then it does not". There may also be feats or class features that affect this (certainly for wands).

A 91 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

A 92 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

Q 93 No - they use whatever the creator set when they were created.

Q 94 No, but they do use the wielder's stats and caster level (which can be affected by items:

Q 95 No - they use whatever the caster use when the spell was stored.
    Q 91 clarification request
    I'm sorry, but the main reason why I saw a need to ask was the entry on potions in the srd:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm
    Where it says that the drinker/oil applier is the caster of the spell.

You also used language that is highly ambiguous in those replies. When you say "they use whatever the creator set when they were created.", are you referring to the original caster setting CL and Spell level (and for potions the effect), or are you saying that any and all feats and spells that I listed would apply to the potion/wand/scroll/etc created if the creator possessed them?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    You also used language that is highly ambiguous in those replies. When you say "they use whatever the creator set when they were created.", are you referring to the original caster setting CL and Spell level (and for potions the effect), or are you saying that any and all feats and spells that I listed would apply to the potion/wand/scroll/etc created if the creator possessed them?
    For most items such as wand and scrolls the creator of the item sets everything that applies other than targetting when creating the item.
    This includes the caster level, whether the spell is maximised or not, the spell level etc.
    Thus the creator of the item could choose to create an item of the spell as affected by the feats you listed, but at this point the item is not a standard tiem and the DM needs to adjudicate pricing etc.

29. - Top - End - #149

Imp

thanks, that clears up some of the specifics. Technically possible, but not part of standard.

Q 96

Polymorph someone into a dunewinder. Polymorphed creature dies. Do the Death Throes activate before the polymorph spell ends?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Q97

So, like, how does constitution work? Specifically:

1. If your character uses an ability score increase to increase their constitution modifier, do they then gain an additional hit point per level? For instance, if a level 8 character increases their constitution from 11 to 12, do they then instantly have another 8 hp?

2. If your constitution modifier becomes lower due to aging, do you lose hit points right then and there? And if an aging effect would put your constitution or HP to zero, do you automatically die at that age?