New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Q131:
    When using Sickening Strike + Venomous Strike at the same time, can the latter benefit from the former?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Q131:
    When using Sickening Strike + Venomous Strike at the same time, can the latter benefit from the former?
    A131: No. Because the sickening and poisoning are being delivered by the same strike, they resolve simultaneously. The sickening would need to resolve before the poisoning for the penalty to apply to the fort save.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #213

Q132: Other than Paragnostic Apostle, are there any prestige classes that progress level-dependent Domain abilities?
    Throw the dice high.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q133

If I Sculpt Spell a Fireball into a cone, can I place that cone anywhere within range, or does it have to start at the edge of my square?
    If yes, why?

Q134

If I sculpt Spell a Fireball into a line, can I place that line anywhere within range, or does it have to start at the edge of my square?
    If yes, why?

Q135

If I sculpt Spell Burning Hands into a 20ft sphere, I can only center the sphere somewhere within 15ft of me - does the sphere's area extend past those 15ft, or is it also confined to them?
    (i.e. I place a sculpted burning hands 15ft away from me - does the aoe extend all the way to 35ft?)
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-09-16 at 11:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A133 No Cone areas of effect must start at the corner of one of the squares which the caster occupies.

A134 No Line areas of effect must start at the corner of one of the squares which the caster occupies.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    Q132: Other than Paragnostic Apostle, are there any prestige classes that progress level-dependent Domain abilities?
    A 132
    The Uncanny Trickster from Complete Scoundrel can advance the class features and effective level of any class over two levels.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    [B]Q133

Q135

If I sculpt Spell Burning Hands into a 20ft sphere, I can only center the sphere somewhere within 15ft of me - does the sphere's area extend past those 15ft, or is it also confined to them?
    (i.e. I place a sculpted burning hands 15ft away from me - does the aoe extend all the way to 35ft?)
    A135

No. A spell's area cannot extend beyond its range.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

8. - Top - End - #218

RogueGuy

Q136
    Can a clockwork steed be enchanted?
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

9. - Top - End - #219

A136: What, like armor/weapon enchantments? No. No it can't. If you want to give it armor enchantments you have to put barding on it and enchant that.
    Throw the dice high.

10. - Top - End - #220

BardGuy

Q137: Is a Warforged immune to the effects of the Armor Lock spell (from Complete Scoundrel) if all they have for armor is their basic composite plating? Can this answer change if they have one of the feats that changes what their composite plating is/does?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

A 137

A warforged is not a valid target for the spell, even if it gets one of the feats that change the armor class of the plating.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS p. 35
    This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS p. 95
    Target: One creature wearing armor
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-09-17 at 03:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q138 : When you use the Shapechange spell (last errata), can you reproduce monster's weapons ? (like the vorpal weapons of the balor)
    Old setting I used to play : Endless Campaign, Gods and mortals

13. - Top - End - #223

EvilClericGuy

Q139

What ways, if any, are there for a non-caster to get access to the Knock spell effect (or any similar ability) as a class ability or feat?

(I'm only aware of the Silver Key prestige class.)

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    Q139

What ways, if any, are there for a non-caster to get access to the Knock spell effect (or any similar ability) as a class ability or feat?

(I'm only aware of the Silver Key prestige class.)
    A 139
    There's probably a few, although the simplest is to acquire a Chime of Opening.

If it must be obtained through a feat, Item Familiar or Ancestral Relic allow a non-spellcaster to enchant an item.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Q 140a:
    Is there a subtype similar to Living Construct that exists for Undead creatures?

Q 140b:
    If not, are there any Undead that have a CON score anyway, as an exception to their typing?
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2016-09-18 at 03:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Puke View Post
    Q138 : When you use the Shapechange spell (last errata), can you reproduce monster's weapons ? (like the vorpal weapons of the balor)
    Depends on the monster. A balor's vorpal sword is a supernatural ability and can be activated as a standard action.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Q 140a:
    Is there a subtype similar to Living Construct that exists for Undead creatures?
    No.

Q 140b:
    If not, are there any Undead that have a CON score anyway, as an exception to their typing?
    Not naturally, although some effects may give them a Constitution score.

17. - Top - End - #227

EvilClericGuy

Q139 - Follow Up

A 139
    There's probably a few, although the simplest is to acquire a Chime of Opening.

If it must be obtained through a feat, Item Familiar or Ancestral Relic allow a non-spellcaster to enchant an item.
    Yes, it must be obtained via a feat or class-feature (although your answer does do that since I didn't realise Ancestral Relic didn't have to be a weapon!).

If anyone knows of any other means please expand on the answer.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    Q139 - Follow Up

Yes, it must be obtained via a feat or class-feature (although your answer does do that since I didn't realise Ancestral Relic didn't have to be a weapon!).

If anyone knows of any other means please expand on the answer.
    Githzerai Knock (CP 54) allows you to use psionic knock as a psi-like ability.

Factotum (Du 14) can use knock as a spell-like ability starting at 5th level.

19. - Top - End - #229

PirateCaptain

Q 141

Would a Warforged Crusader heal half or full amount of hp from its various healing maneuvers? And what about from the Therapeutic Mantle soulmeld?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

A 141

Most of them would heal the full amount because they are neither supernatural abilities nor spells of the healing subschool, but with Strike of Righteous Vitality the user or one ally explicitly gains the benefit of a heal heal spell, a spell from the healing subschool. So a Warforged would only get half the HP back.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Halfling in the Playground

Q142
    Can an Invisible Stalker wear magic items if it's not created by a Summon Monster spell ?

Spoiler: Who am I ?
    Show
    Alignment:
    LG - 10%
    NG- 8%
    CG - 5%
    LN- 12%
    N - 12%
    CN - 7%
    LE - 18%
    NE - 16%
    CE - 12%

Race:
    Human - 23%
    Dwarf - 14%
    Elf - 11%
    Gnome - 18%
    Halfling - 11%
    Half-Elf - 12%
    Half-Orc - 11%

Class:
    Barbarian - 5%
    Bard - 7%
    Cleric - 16%
    Druid - 4%
    Fighter - 9%
    Monk - 7%
    Paladin - 9%
    Ranger - 9%
    Rogue - 12%
    Sorcerer - 7%
    Wizard - 15%

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q143: Does one have to make separate Fortitude saves each time one is bitten by a diseased creature (such as a dire rat)?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

A 143

Yes.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

A 143 side-note

And this is what makes the ever popular Giant Rat 1st level encounters so infuriating. You don't have the resources to get the disease removed, you can almost guarantee at least one party member will fail a Fort save, and the only way to beat the disease is sit around for days on end making Fort save and/or Heal checks.

I can't remember the last character I have had from first level that didn't fight giant rats at least once. They seem to be hard wired into low-level adventures!

[/RANT]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 143 side-note

And this is what makes the ever popular Giant Rat 1st level encounters so infuriating. You don't have the resources to get the disease removed, you can almost guarantee at least one party member will fail a Fort save, and the only way to beat the disease is sit around for days on end making Fort save and/or Heal checks.

I can't remember the last character I have had from first level that didn't fight giant rats at least once. They seem to be hard wired into low-level adventures!

[/RANT]
    I've had a few that didn't, but I agree, disease is somewhat more debilitating than is really appropriate for 1st-level play. I suppose it gives an impetus to get on with the adventure (since you could hope to complete the adventure before the incubation period ends, and then just get the disease taken care of between adventures).

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Q144: Normally, creatures don't block line and effect and line of sight, they can only provide cover.
    However, if a character is inside an ooze thanks to the Amulet of Ooze Riding, rather than behind it, and assuming the ooze is fairly transparent and allows to see through it (which is explicitly the case for the Gelatinous Cube):

1. Does the character get total cover ?

2. Is line of effect blocked ?

3. More generally, if I want to attack through a solid but transparent obstacle, my line of effect would be blocked (since there is a solid obstacle), and by RAW, since line of sight is strictly included into line of effect, it should be blocked too, contrary to common sense.
    Is this correct ?

Thank you.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A144

2. Yes
    Line of Effect
    A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

1.Yes
    Total Cover
    If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

3. No. LoS and LoE are distinctly different and not tied together at all.
    Total Concealment
    If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-09-20 at 02:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Q 145

Do undead have any kind of default immunity to polymorph effects? I could have sworn they do, but looking at creatures types, only oozes and plants seem to have this. Maybe I'm thinking of specific undead such as liches? Is there a rule parsing that I'm missing?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 146 :

About A 144. The SRD explains that "A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier". In substance, A 144 explains that his does not opt out animated barriers, like big, hulking creatures. This is why a Gelatinous Cube filling all the width and height of a corridor blocks line of effect between two characters on the opposite sides of the Cube.
    But the Cube is transparent, and does not block line of sight. So :

Does a gaze attack need line of effect in addition to line of sight ? In particular, can a gaze attack affect a character through a Gelatinous Cube ?

30. - Top - End - #240

ClericGirl

Q 140a:
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No.
    Q&A 140a addendum:

Troacctid is correct, but please note that Eberron lore notes Woeforged as a thing - even though they are never backed up with rules or mechanics. So the setting supports something that is more-or-less exactly what you are asking for, but won't say to what extent or how.

CF Forge of War page 85 for what exceedingly little information is given on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 145

Do undead have any kind of default immunity to polymorph effects? I could have sworn they do, but looking at creatures types, only oozes and plants seem to have this. Maybe I'm thinking of specific undead such as liches? Is there a rule parsing that I'm missing?
    A 145: No, but if you're using the normal spell chain they happen not to qualify until you get up to Polymorph Any Object (they fail the lower level spells by virtue of not being living or the spells granting fortitude saves).
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2016-09-20 at 01:35 PM.