New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 145

Do undead have any kind of default immunity to polymorph effects? I could have sworn they do, but looking at creatures types, only oozes and plants seem to have this. Maybe I'm thinking of specific undead such as liches? Is there a rule parsing that I'm missing?
    A 145
    Undead don't have a default immunity to polymorph effects, however the majority of polymorph effects allow a fortitude save, which undead have a blanket immunity to, unless they can affect items or are harmless (just like constructs). Thus, most polymorph effects would fail, unless one specifically has a different save, or allows no save.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2016-09-20 at 06:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Lore Question.
    Q 146: I remember seeing some fluff about Hobgoblins considering their equipment an extension or reflection of themselves or something like that. That if a Hobgoblins sword was rusty or dull, he was. Anyone know where this was from?
    Last edited by AtlasSniperman; 2016-09-21 at 12:40 AM.
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 147

Eladrins from the MM are immune to petrification and electricity, according to their SRD.

Would a summoned Bralani Eladrin, affected by Flesh to Ice (a secondary effect from the Frostfell spell in Frostburn), consider that a Petrification effect and thus be immune?

If he isn't immune and becomes an ice statue, is he considered dead and whisked away as per any slain summon or in statue form until the spell expires and then sent back to whatever plane it came from?

4. - Top - End - #244

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    Q. 147

Eladrins from the MM are immune to petrification and electricity, according to their SRD.

Would a summoned Bralani Eladrin, affected by Flesh to Ice (a secondary effect from the Frostfell spell in Frostburn), consider that a Petrification effect and thus be immune?

If he isn't immune and becomes an ice statue, is he considered dead and whisked away as per any slain summon or in statue form until the spell expires and then sent back to whatever plane it came from?
    A147
    The definition of Petrification in 3.5 only states stone, so Flesh to Ice does not count as Petrification. So the Eladrin is not Immune. Flesh to Ice also specifically states that the creature is not dead, as such the Eladrin is not slain and will remain for the duration of the spell.
    • I like blue souls.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Q148

Do all ranged attacks provoke an attack of opportunity? Or just attacks with a ranged weapon? For example, does someone casting dimensional anchor provoke twice? Once from casting and once from firing the ray? What about supernatural abilities that have a ranged attack roll?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Q.149

If someone with skirmish or sneak attack successfully feints as a move action and hits someone in melee and the attacked on his turn attempts (and fails) a Tumble check to avoid an AoO, is that tumbler subjected to a melee attack with skirmush/sneack attack in the AoO, or is it regular damage?

7. - Top - End - #247

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    Q.149

If someone with skirmish or sneak attack successfully feints as a move action and hits someone in melee and the attacked on his turn attempts (and fails) a Tumble check to avoid an AoO, is that tumbler subjected to a melee attack with skirmush/sneack attack in the AoO, or is it regular damage?
    Feinting only denies the target their dexterity to ac for your next melee attack, not for any additional attacks made before the start of your next turn.

I've had trouble understanding the question so here's the answer to my other interpretation; that you feint in combat and get the feint boon on someone who provokes an AoO.
    Feint is a targetted combat maneuver. If you attack anyone but the person you feinted, you don't get the benefit.
    • I like blue souls.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasSniperman View Post
    Feinting only denies the target their dexterity to ac for your next melee attack, not for any additional attacks made before the start of your next turn.

I've had trouble understanding the question so here's the answer to my other interpretation; that you feint in combat and get the feint boon on someone who provokes an AoO.
    Feint is a targetted combat maneuver. If you attack anyone but the person you feinted, you don't get the benefit.
    I should have been clearer: it's a 1 vs. 1 fight. The attacker feinted successfully and got to catch the opponent with additional damage.

That opponent decided to Tumble and flopped the Tumble DC, subjecting himself to an AoO from the feinting opponent who hit him.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Q150

Do all monsters add 1 stat point to any score upon attaining 4th HD and every fourth HD they attain afterwards (8th, 12th etc.)? Please note that I'm talking about HD, not about class advancement. Like for instance, I made a 8-HD ghast (they are normally 4 HD). Does it get a stat point?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Q151

Can you use Dodge feat against a supposed enemy that you can't see, discern and accurately locate?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A150

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Ability Score Improvement
    Treat monster Hit Dice the same as character level for determining ability score increases. This only applies to Hit Dice increases, monsters do not gain ability score increases for levels they "already reached" with their racial Hit Dice, since these adjustments are included in their basic ability scores.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

12. - Top - End - #252

Imp

Q152

Could I ready an action to cast Dispelling Screen to:

a) Place the wall in the way of one side of a wall of fire or similar to stop it from expanding that way?
    b) Place the sphere or hemisphere, or a shaped wall around the origin of a wall of fire or similar to entirely contain it within its originating intersection?

This assumes I know the spell is being cast, which triggers the readied action.

Since the spell says "Spell effects not operating on objects or creatures cannot pass through the screen.", I assume that the above uses should be possible.

Q153

Could I place a dispelling screen on the origin of a wall spell after it has been cast to completely confine it to inside the dispelling screen's sphere, since i'd cut off the origin of the effect?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-09-22 at 11:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A151 No, not if you lose your Dex bonus to AC.

Invisibility
    Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents' Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any). (Invisibility has no effect against blinded or otherwise nonsighted creatures.) An invisible creature's location cannot be pinpointed by visual means, including darkvision. It has total concealment; even if an attacker correctly guesses the invisible creature's location, the attacker has a 50% miss chance in combat.
    Dodge Bonus
    A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.
    Dodge [General]
    Prerequisite
    Dex 13.

Benefit
    During your action, you designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action.

A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

Special
    A fighter may select Dodge as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2016-09-22 at 10:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Q154: Can I 'turn off' immunities that are gained from classes?

15. - Top - End - #255

BarbarianGuy

Q155: Would a Zombie Dire Ape have a +15 Climb skill modifier? Can it choose to Take 10 on a Climb check? Or would it not be able to Climb anything with a DC greater than 0?

Climb: A creature with a climb speed has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. The creature must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10 even if rushed or threatened while climbing. ...
    Zombie Template
    Speed: If the base creature can fly, its maneuverability rating drops to clumsy.
    Skills: A zombie has no skills.
    A Zombie Dire Ape would still have a Climb speed, since the template does nothing to change that. Since it has a Climb speed, it should get a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks, etc. But then, Zombies have no skills...
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2016-09-23 at 02:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 155

A zombie has no skill points because it lacks an Intelligence score. However, any creature can make a skill check untrained provided that the particular skill allows untrained use. An untrained skill check is treated as an ability check, which the zombie can do. The rules for taking 10 and taking 20 work the same for ability checks as they do for skill checks.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Nonabilities
    Mindless creatures do not gain feats or skills, although they may have bonus feats or racial skill bonuses.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Q 156: Is there a Sorcerer/Wizard spell in 3.5 D&D that would suppress the fast healing ability of a Werewolf Lord? It doesn't need to be more then a couple of rounds duration.

If there is a spell that does this, what book and page number can it be located on?
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #258

RogueGuy

Q 157 Is there a standard method to ignore the penalties from aging? (Facto 3/Chameleon 10/ x?)
    Last edited by bean illus; 2016-09-23 at 11:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 158

I want to make sure that I'm reading this right... A specific cursed item, such as a Helm of Opposite Alignment, can yield any aura of DM's choosing if it's studied with Detect Magic spell?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 156: Is there a Sorcerer/Wizard spell in 3.5 D&D that would suppress the fast healing ability of a Werewolf Lord? It doesn't need to be more then a couple of rounds duration.

If there is a spell that does this, what book and page number can it be located on?
    A 156: Yes. Graymantle (SpC 107) is a 5th level Sorc/Wiz spell that stops all means of regaining HP or ability score points with the exception of increasing your maximum Con score (such as with Bear's Endurance) and gaining temporary HP. It allows a Fort save to negate and is affected by Spell Resistance.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #261

Imp

Q 159

Does Freedom of Movement protect you from Paralysis or Stunned?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 160

If someone is within a Resilient Sphere when the spell Frostfell is cast and then exits the sphere, in the middle of the spell still in place, is he affected by Frostfell or not?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 159

Does Freedom of Movement protect you from Paralysis or Stunned?
    A 159
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunned
    A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).
    A stunned creature can't take actions. They are not prevented from moving, they are prevented from acting, meaning they can't use actions to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzed
    A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.
    Paralysis literally contradicts itself within two sentences. Clearly, a character can act if it can take mental actions.

This means that paralysis is preventing the character from moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom of Movement
    This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement
    If a magical effect impedes the character's movement, as paralysis does, they can still move under freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom of Movement
    This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web.
    This raises some questions for me, but they would better belong in the dysfunctional rules thread.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Q 161

Assuming undead aren't involved, can Bracers of Entangling Might (MIC 80) be used with Chill Touch to deal extra Strength damage?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

25. - Top - End - #265

Q162
    Can True Creation make Dwarvencraft items?

Q163
    There is a spell in a Dragon Magazine that increases the Hardness of an object. I cannot find it nor my notes on it. IIRC it was dwarf themed as well.
    Can anyone help?

Trying to remember but I think I came across it online while looking into ways to improve weapons and special materials.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q162
    Can True Creation make Dwarvencraft items?

Q163
    There is a spell in a Dragon Magazine that increases the Hardness of an object. I cannot find it nor my notes on it. IIRC it was dwarf themed as well.
    Can anyone help?

Trying to remember but I think I came across it online while looking into ways to improve weapons and special materials.
    A 162
    Quote Originally Posted by Races of Stone pg 159
    Dwarven craft items are crafted using the rules for masterwork crafting on page 71 of the Player’s Handbook. The dwarvencraft component of an item has a Craft DC of 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook pg 71
    To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield) and a Craft DC of 20. Once both the standard component and the masterwork component are completed, the masterwork item is finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Compendium pg 224
    True Creation...You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item, such as a Craft (bowmaking) check to make straight arrow shafts or a Craft (gemcutting) check to make a cut and polished gem.
    Yes you would just need to make the relevant craft check for the item itself, and the craft check for the dwarvencraft aspect of the item.

A 163
    Hardening, Spell Compendium pg 109
    Last edited by NinjaTBB; 2016-09-26 at 07:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTBB View Post

A 163
    Hardening, Spell Compendium pg 109
    Hardening is not from Dragon Magazine.

FYI, Matter Manipulation (SRD) and Augment Object (SBG) also increase Hardness. Neither are what I was looking for.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Hardening is not from Dragon Magazine.

FYI, Matter Manipulation (SRD) and Augment Object (SBG) also increase Hardness. Neither are what I was looking for.
    Stonemantle from Dragon Magazine #314 gives objects hardness of 8 and 15 hp/inch as if stone. I'm not sure anything else in Dragon Magazine changes hardness.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTBB View Post
    Stonemantle from Dragon Magazine #314 gives objects hardness of 8 and 15 hp/inch as if stone. I'm not sure anything else in Dragon Magazine changes hardness.
    thank you

was what i was remembering

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q164. can I cast wall of smoke right on the enemies, forcing the fort save?