New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Default PTU - Cometh the Hour

Nora, Baldur in Olivine

Both of you arrive in Olivine for the summer festival. It is a long held tradition throughout Johto, but it is celebrated far differently in the cities than in the smaller towns. Crowds bustle in the streets, many carrying what look like giant colourful lanterns despite the noonday sun, others gathered around bars, restaurants and street vendors.

But despite the many preparations neither of you is here for those celebrations. For the summer festival in Olivine hosts one very special event: the Coral Corral! This event is a great chance for new trainers, young and old to capture pokemon as many water type pokemon come up on the beaches, drawn by the lights.

You both hear the announcers strolling through the city announcing that the registration for the event will soon be closing, and to head down to the beach for the last few places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oak can join if gac3 posts shortly, but I won't wait on them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: PTU - Cometh the Hour

Nora is walking a beat in her standards clothes, she didn't plan to be in Olivine but is now here for the event so may as well see if anything comes from it.

Roman is in his pokeball, and is attached to her belt.
    "Maybe we will have some luck and it won't just be some water types maybe some other beach dwellers or flying types will show up hoping to grab a bite.", talking more to herself then her traveling companion(s), as she looks around the bustling city.
    If she had the opportunity Nora has already registered for the event otherwise she will start heading in that direction.
    "You could also always use a water type to help round out your teams"
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

3. - Top - End - #3

Baldur walked slightly behind his new companion as she spoke. It seemed she was making the best of the timing of their arrival, but Baldur struggled to be excited. He kept his eyes forward, not bothering to assess the town he was walking through.

"I hardly see the need. Odin is perfectly capable of swimming." He dryly remarked. Baldur sensed that his negativity was unwarranted and quickly added. "But I suppose your right. We might find ourselves pleasantly surprised." They did come all this way to find powerful Pokemon after all.

Baldur was accustomed to being alone, he had very few friends back home, and most people his age treated him with disrespect or openly mocked him. His guard was always up and his demeanor generally disgruntled. Nora, however, knew almost nothing about him. She treated him as an equal, she even respected him. Baldur was attempting to be less abrasive. He was having varied levels of success.
    Last edited by Yabex; 2016-08-10 at 06:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora looks at baldur with an exasperated expression.
    "See and there you go again, just because Odin swims doesn't mean you couldn't use a water type after all Lance used a Gyarados."
    She waves her hands around, at the people in the area and the events surrounding them treating the whole thing as very pedestrian.
    "And whose to say you can't get lucky and catch something amazing or something someone wants you can trade for something you want."
    The breath of confidence Nora give off is as much her demeanor in this situation as it is her a play to let Baldur relax. Her new traveling she is treating with the air of someone known for months if not years
    "Also from the posters we get a few pokeballs and free pokeballs are well free; and don't deny we could penny pinch"
    Nora does a bit of mock sprinting well walking with Baldur grinning all the while
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

5. - Top - End - #5

Baldur found Nora's behavior simultaneously annoying and reassuring. It was annoying because she was right, there were good opportunities in front of them and had Baldur been traveling alone he would have probably kept his head down and ignored the festival.

Baldur lowered his head as he sighed. "Yeah. We are pretty poor." He had spent the last of his money on a few Pokeballs in the last town and his growling belly was beginning to make him regret it. "I guess your right. Again." Baldur hid a one sided smile behind his scarf then turned to face Nora. "Maybe we can catch some lunch?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Yeah there you go a positive attitude the Ranger and the Dragon Ace what can't we do?", Nora has grabbed some package of sweets from one of the stands they were walking past handing over some to Baldur with a cheeky grin on her face at the comment about catching lunch.
    "As long as its not a Magikarp then maybe. I had to eat magikarp once when Ranger training with dad... and worse comes to worse we can get into some battles to earn some dough", Nora visibly shudders at the memory for a moment before composing herself.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateWench

The pair find that whilst they've been chatting, they've quickly reached the front of the queue and a smiling young man takes down their names. He gives them a reassuring smile and promises that Jasmine will be supervising the event, so they needn't worry about their safety.

The two provide their names, and the registrar apologises when Nora asks about Pokeballs: "I'm sorry, those posters you saw must have been fake, we don't have the money to also provide pokeballs for our competitors. I'll speak to Jasmine; I have a good idea who the troublemakers are..."

"Anyway, the event will be beginning soon, so you better go over to the starting area. Remember to bring back your best capture at the end as there is a prize!"

The pair sees a small cordoned off area with a few trainers gathered in it and in front of the them the beach spreads out, with only a rock formation and a small forest to the west disrupting the sandy vista.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1leYZn1FalNHwSt2iowUUgLcpttodnXxWEwnpr33imlw/edit?usp=sharing

You should all be able to edit this to add your character (initial) and pokemon. I'll add pokemon when you to the map when they appear.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora looks annoyed, then crestfallen, then annoyed again all very rapidly before rolling her shoulders grabbing Romans pokeball, smiling to the judges and heading out.
    Nora grumbles a bit as they walk away, "Best capture... with 4 pokeballs, a contest where there not giving them out I mean the park contest in GoldenRod, the Safari zone."
    Looking out at the beach, water, trees and rocks she breathes in the atmosphere before pumping her fist, "Aww to heck with it this contest may suck but this beach is absolutely stunning and worth the time and effort"
    Nora waves Baldur to get his pokeball ready as she draws her own.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Baldur was a little disappointed when he learned he would have to use his own Pokeballs, but he didn't show it. He simply put his name on the contest sign up sheet and took his place in the starting area next to Nora. I wonder what the prize is? Baldur wondered to himself. He hated that the prize was a mystery, there was no way to tell if the contest was really worth his time.

Then Baldur thought about what Nora said. She had a good point, Baldur had never seen such a large body of water. It was amazing. There was water as far as he could see and a sea breeze was rolling in. Baldur loved the smell of the air. "The beach is actually nicer than I expected. This could be an interesting event after all." Baldur allowed his gaze to scan the across the other trainers in the starting area, then turned back to Nora and smiled. "The competition doesn't seem very experienced. I'm sure we'll have no problem coming out on top. " Baldur confidently raised Odin's Pokeball behind his head and threw it in the direction of the water. "Odin! Get ready!" Baldur shouted as his Pokemon materialized at his target location.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora smiled and tossed out Roman as well, with a confident grin on her face. She claps Baldur on the back as he is revitalized by the air, it is something that both trainers needed a break from what they had been doing to enjoy themselves.
    "Lets not judge them just yet after all since we won't be fighting them who knows what they will bring?"
    Hearing Baldurs question Nora pauses, her mouth waters then she taps her chin at his question of a prize.
    "Maybe it is a pokemon? I mean that would be a stupendous prize especially if it is one provided by the cities gym, and it would explain why we are not being provided pokeballs."
    Nora looks at the direction Baldur sent little adorable Odin, with a mix of glee and love at the little dragon.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateWench

The pair of trainers wait eagerly in line, but the event doesn't begin with a dramatic siren, instead a crowd appears behind them carry the lanterns that the group noticed earlier. All at once they raised them up and the lanterns just seemed to float away from them, the light inside building in intensity as it flew higher and higher. A sweet scent blew past the assembled trainers and flew out onto the sea whilst the building lights from the lanterns bobbed above the city.

One of the trainers, a girl with an eevee, was the first to spot something and pointed out onto the sea front: the water churned and pokemon began to appear, though too far off to determine which species. Another cry from the group indicated that disturbances has also been spotted on the spar of rock and in the forest.

"And the competition has begun!" the tannoy boomed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here is the map again for reference.

'X's are where pokemon have been spotted.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora see's the lights go up watching them and feels the scent washing over her, her eyes light up with a fire before clapping her friend on the back and rushing towards where some pokemon have been spotted, drawing her pokedex so she can begin to identify those that are near(She is within the 10 meters to scan the 3 pokemon on the rocks), looking at her pokedex as she rushes forth to see what has been spoted.
    "Come on Baldur last one in has to pay for dinner!", a surefire and cocky grin erupts along the young woman's face well riling her friend to action.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (Assuming its Rounds now, if its not then she will move closer)
    Nora Initiative : 13
    Roman Initiative : 10

PS: Is Oak's player around at all they haven't been posting?
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around, Oak is so amazed at everything happening. So many people, so many pokemon. Would you look at it Eevee? This is what we came out here for. She could not help it. She told Kurt she wanted to explore and learn and he told her this was the best place to start.

And then the competition started right after Oak spotted a pokemon on the water. Come on Eevee!

Together they rush to identify see what the pokemon is, drawing out Oak's new pokedex and investigating.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is officially my first time every playing so hopefully I do alright.
    Initiative:
    Oak 8
    Eevee 8

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateWench

Nora's pokedex identifies the closest pokemon to her as a Sandshrew, a small ground type pokemon.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think scanning is a standard action, so you can only do one at a time. Sandshrew goes after you.

Oak identifies a magikarp floundering in the water in front of her, a water type fish pokemon.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

(Hope no one minds considering Nora's distance from the others and to keep things moving if I do her second turns actions.)

Nora will approach the sandshrew, cautiously getting next to roman she will eye the 2 other pokemon next to it, to see if either are worth scanning(If they are not more Sandshrew she will scan them. If they are more Sandshrew she will scan the pokemon near the woods).
    Quickly nodding to Roman, Nora will point at the Sandshrew; "Water Gun"
    The jolly little Mudkip will dance for a second before its face goes dead serious and it unleashes a torrent at the poor creature, as the water will subside Roman will go back to his jolly little dance.

Spoiler: Romans Accuracy and Damage Checks
    Show

[roll]1d20[/roll] : Needing a 2 or higher to hit
    [roll]2d8+11[/roll] *1.5 for Sandshrew being weak to water types... oh gosh don't knock him out now Roman

Because of course the dice roller hates me... I rolled the results in the OoC thread and it worked there just fine.
    Link to the post with the die results. Also that poor little Sandshrew is taking 24 - its special defense in damage
    Last edited by Vknight; 2016-08-16 at 01:51 PM.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateWench

The sandshrew is hosed and cries out "Shrew!!!" before leaping at his assailant with his claws out.

Spoiler: Scratch
    Show
    attack roll (1d20)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+17)[18]

Nora identifies that the two behind are different to the sandshrew, and her pokedex chimes out that one is a female Nidoran. The other looks similar, but has a darker colouring.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora will nod to Roman before doing a spin move and stomping her feet then roar as she is filled with energy.
    After doing this her eyes settle on the unique coloured Sandshrew. Roman follow her glance and they both nod to each other.
    Roman will after watching his friend pump herself up blast the Sandshrew standing in his way in a hope to finish this off quickly.

Spoiler: Round 3 Actions
    Show
    Nora uses Dragon Dance

(1d20)[8] : Attack
    (2d6+11)[13] * 1.5 for damage

I'll take a Shiny Sandshrew why not. And if you want Dmarks we can wait for the others so they can catch up.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 2

"Yes Eevee a Magikarp! Let's see if we can catch it! I'll see what I can figure out."

They continue to advance on the Magikarp and Oak focuses hard on the pokemon to see what she can determine.

Show

Pokémon Maniac feature. "Target: A Pokémon
    Effect: Make a Pokemon Education Check with a DC of 10. If you succeed, you determine the target’s Level, Types, Nature, and Abilities."
    (4d6)[18]

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateWench

Nora

The jet of water once more blasts the sandshrew, but it doesn't seem to be too injured by the attack and swipes back with its claws.

Spoiler: Scratch
    Show
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d8+17)[22]

Oak

Oak's training pays off as from it's size she can determine that it is still young, younger than her eevee, but not by much (4). She recalls that Magikarp are Water-type pokemon and this one seems particularly mild, simple even. She even notices the slightly lighter coloured scaling along the dorsal fin which indicates that this Magikarp is female

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 4
    Water type
    Nature: Mild
    Ability: Simple

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora's eye's flash with respect she flings a pokeball the Sandshrew; "Well your certainly strong so welcome to the party!"

After Nora throws the ball Roman and Nora will re-position based on if she catches it, either way she has a grin of wild joy at this frenzied combat.

Spoiler: Welcome to the party!?
    Show
    (1d100)[61] : Here is hoping. Also I feel bad for that pokemon standing outside of the woods.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Baldur rushes to meet Odin as soon as the competition starts. "To the water!" He was yelling as he drew his Pokedex and attempted to identify the closest water Pokemon to him.

Show
    So it's my action to scan the pokemon in R22, right? I'm completely new to PTU.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateWench

The pokeball engulfed the sandshrew in a blaze of light and then was still. It rocked just once before beeping to indicate that the pokemon had been captured.

Spoiler
    Show
    Congrats on your level 4, female, Careful, Sandshrew with Sand Veil.

Baldur's pokedex beeps and pings and then reads out a snippet of text, identifying the pokemon as a psyduck.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

-Nora's 5th turn-

Nora will move up to the unkown pokemon performing Dragon Dance for a second time. Smiling as the Sandshrew is added to her party she starts thinking of a name to go for the tenacious ball of sand mouse.

"Roman show it your power!"

Spoiler: Nora's combat actions.
    Show
    Roman is going to use tackle to push the pokemon in G7 into F8.

Roman Tackle : (1d20+2)[9] : The +2 is from teamwork
    Roman Tackle Damage : (1d8+18)[25]

Nora will use a stuggle attack if the pokemon tries to leave her melee or reengage with Roman. This is an opportunity attack
    Nora's Stuggle Attack : (1d20)[13]
    Nora's Stuggle Damage : (1d8+18)[20]

Anyone want some Nidorans there is a male and female over there that Nora will be swinging by probably later... does poor creature have no idea what is coming.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Ignoring the Psyduck, Baldur moves west and scans the other Pokemon in the water nearby.

25. - Top - End - #25

PirateWench

Roman tackles the small bug type pokemon and forces it back into the trees. It immediately attempts to flee but Nora strikes it before it can get too far, collapsing to the ground unconscious.

Baldur identifies a small crab-like pokemon (Krabby) stepping out of the water.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora is surprised for a moment at the strength of her kick as the little bug type drops to the ground.

She is going to look at the pokemon in the forest area
    Spoiler: Pokedex scan
    Show
    Nora will scan the pokemon at F9, and looking at the one in E12

Beyond that she will shift her position looking over the pokemons statistics and other relevant information in the dex.
    "Roman you still up for more?"
    The Mudkip with a face a mixture of glee and determination nods looking down the sights of its opponent.
    If roman succeeds then Nora is going to smile with a mixture of pride, and confidence at the little mudfish

Spoiler: Romans Action
    Show

Tackle : (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage : (1d8+18)[26]
    Roman is moving around and going to tackle the target of Nora's pokedex scan into F8.

If the guy there tries to run here is Nora's opp attack
    Stuggle : (1d20)[6]
    Damage : (1d8+18)[22]
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Baldur scowls at his Pokedex as it identifies the Krabby. I'll never win like this! Baldur shouts in his head. Wanting to waste as little time as possible, he runs across the beach to see what had come to shore on the west edge of the beach.

Show
    Trying to identify the Pokemon in E16 and E17

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateWench

Nora identifies the pokemon in front of Roman as a Bellsprout, a grass type, and the one further to her left is a small blue creature with a large leaf on its back.

Roman leaps first, damaging the grass type severely, but the creature snaps back, slashing Roman with vines that cut the poor pokemon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tied initiative: Roman (1d20)[18], bellsprout (1d20)[10]

Vine Whip: (1d20)[4]
    Damage (2d6+20)[31], Super effective

Baldur's pokedex beeps and informs him that one of the pokemon is a horsea, whilst he peers at the other pokemon, which appears to be a pink ball with coral like points coming out of it.
    Last edited by dmarks; 2016-08-20 at 11:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Baldur signals to Odin to attack the Horsey as he readies a Pokeball.

Spoiler: Odin's attack
    Show

Struggle(1d20+4)[8]
    Damage (1d8+17)[18]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nora takes off her Rangers hat, dropping it carefully on the ground, she doesn't say anything as she approaches the Bellsprout
    Nora glares at the plant cracking her knuckles she looms over it.

Spoiler: Nora's Attack
    Show
    If Nora needs to make a new attack roll and cannot use the earlier Opportunity Attack

(1d20)[5]
    (1d8+18)[26]

Nora will once the contest is done probably Coup de Grace the Bellsprout, all depends she really hates them already and it hurt her Roman

Spoiler: Nora's Actions for rounds 7, 8, 9
    Show
    Following her knocking out the Bellsprout Nora's actions will be the following, so she will not be doing much of anything for a few rounds. Because
    Round 7 Action : Picking up and returning Roman petting him and making sure he's ok.
    Round 8 Action :She will wipe her hands through her hair and scan the pokemon in D7, and look at the one in C12
    Round 9 Action : She will scan the pokemon in C19 and look at the pokemon in D20 the following round
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show