New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Rant Thread

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Rant Thread

As a general rule if someone in a customer service role is nice to you while on the job, it isn't because they are into you, it's because they are providing good customer service. 100% of the time.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Omg Grimmy I have a boyfriend omg ok bye

(dooooooo do that yes snugs)
    NOOOOOO
    Now I just have to facebook stalk away my sexual frustration

Why can't girls like me? I wear all the sweetest flame button downs and fedoras. My beard is starting to reach my beard and not just my neck now!

(Also serps - is bearded grimmy a good look?)
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

my rant is that you can't post anything in the rant thread without getting continually bashed for it

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Isn't it kind of a requirement for a rant to be either illogical or wrong, preferably both? Otherwise, it's just a valid complaint or a passionate attempt to better the world.

Poort Bartman is just doing a good rant. That's what he's here for!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Loorg View Post
    my rant is that you can't post anything in the rant thread without getting continually bashed for it
    I got ninja'd by a lego figure, who has a valid point here, and keeps it short - so while I agree with the lego ninja, it's not a good rant.
    Last edited by Murk; 2016-08-18 at 10:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yung Crunk View Post
    What rants, in particular? Can I rant about how everyone has terrible taste in music but me?
    yes please do oh my god this thread

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Loorg View Post
    Can my rant be "why is it that this forum I used to love has been ruined by MRA's?"
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    yes please do oh my god this thread
    Don't tempt me. I'll do it, you know.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

As far as threats go, this is pretty mild. So uh...I dare you? Whatever.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

What rants, in particular? Can I rant about how everyone has terrible taste in music but me?
    Moff Chumley used to have a thread that was this exactly, I think.
    All, the old days.

SIGHS WISTFULLY

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Now you're just making me beg. It's undignified.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Isn't it kind of a requirement for a rant to be either illogical or wrong, preferably both? Otherwise, it's just a valid complaint or a passionate attempt to better the world.

Poort Bartman is just doing a good rant. That's what he's here for!
    If you need to spill out whatever illogical and misdirected complaints you happen to harbour, these boards are really not the best forum for doing so. There's a pretty strong feminist (as well as many other equalities) community here, and some of us aren't particularly content with letting people use tired entitlements to shift all the blame for their failures and mishaps onto other people uncontested. It happens everywhere across the Internet and the physical world already, we don't need it on our home field too.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Can my rant be "why is it that this forum I used to love has been ruined by MRA's?"
    You can't be serious. "Ruined by MRA's", where exactly? The forums seem fairly progressive in general.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    You can't be serious. "Ruined by MRA's", where exactly? The forums seem fairly progressive in general.
    Pardon my ignorance, but Googling MRA gets me a magnetic resonance angiogram. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what is meant.

Edit: Men's Right Activists, according to some pals. That correct?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2016-08-18 at 09:23 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but Googling MRA gets me a magnetic resonance angiogram. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what is meant.
    It isn't. It stands for Men's Rights Activists. A group comparable to internet feminists in so far as they both have wildly rabid bands of members who...well let's just say if you gave them enemas they could be buried in matchbooks. The idea that this forum has been "ruined by" said group is...laughable.

15. - Top - End - #75

Also, if y'all don't mind, I've got a minor rant. Tis about a friend of mine-and I'll preface this by saying he's a good guy, very kind, but he kinda irked me as of late.

Spoiler: Event 1
    Show
    We were driving to a Games Workshop for fun times, and we were talking about Giant in the Playground. He said he didn't like internet arguments, since nothing ever gets resolved and no one changes their minds. I agreed with him... For the most part. I think this forum has a surprising amount of people who actually DO listen and change their minds, or at least are open to new viewpoints.

Anyway, afterwards, we got on the topic of optimization, and I brought up the 3E lead hat trick. He said that felt like metagaming and he'd never allow it, and that it felt very artificial. I said that it made perfect sense in setting, especially for a 20+ Int Wizard, but he didn't really accept that, and followed it up by saying "No matter how many examples you bring up, you're not going to change my mind, so just stop talking about it."

Am I unreasonable to be a little irked at the hypocrisy?

Spoiler: Event 2
    Show
    This is at GW, same day. He said that another guy we're friends with at the store runs a pretty hard army (in Age of Sigmar), but that's okay, because he owns up to it.

I run a list I myself call "brutal" in 40k. He has (the first friend, not the other guy) on several occasions given me a lengthy talk about how my army isn't really sporting and how I need to own up to it... Despite the fact that I call it a brutal army, and either play people who know me or warn them "My list is absolutely killer" before playing.

Spoiler: Event 3
    Show
    This is the big one. We were, still same day, at lunch with a third friend. The third friend brought up transgenderism, just as a minor detail (some guy who starred in a dumb youtube video is now a girl-didn't see the video, and which video isn't really relevant). After lunch, he said he was surprised that I had brought it up, since I knew his views on it. I actually did not, and he said that he thinks that man and woman were made in god's image, and that god didn't make mistakes. This kinda upset me, since I have transgender friends (and the thing is, so does he) and he's basically saying that they're all wrong. It just... I dunno. Like I prefaced this with, he's a nice guy, and he wouldn't hurt anyone or even really judge anyone-but his view just seems sort of wrong to me.

Also, if anyone thinks this is too religious for the forum, just let me know and I'll remove this-I don't THINK it's too religious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, if y'all don't mind, I've got a minor rant. Tis about a friend of mine-and I'll preface this by saying he's a good guy, very kind, but he kinda irked me as of late.

Show
    We were driving to a Games Workshop for fun times, and we were talking about Giant in the Playground. He said he didn't like internet arguments, since nothing ever gets resolved and no one changes their minds. I agreed with him... For the most part. I think this forum has a surprising amount of people who actually DO listen and change their minds, or at least are open to new viewpoints.

Anyway, afterwards, we got on the topic of optimization, and I brought up the 3E lead hat trick. He said that felt like metagaming and he'd never allow it, and that it felt very artificial. I said that it made perfect sense in setting, especially for a 20+ Int Wizard, but he didn't really accept that, and followed it up by saying "No matter how many examples you bring up, you're not going to change my mind, so just stop talking about it."

Spoiler: Event 2
    Show
    This is at GW, same day. He said that another guy we're friends with at the store runs a pretty hard army (in Age of Sigmar), but that's okay, because he owns up to it.

I run a list I myself call "brutal" in 40k. He has (the first friend, not the other guy) on several occasions given me a lengthy talk about how my army isn't really sporting and how I need to own up to it... Despite the fact that I call it a brutal army, and either play people who know me or warn them "My list is absolutely killer" before playing.

Show
    This is the big one. We were, still same day, at lunch with a third friend. The third friend brought up transgenderism, just as a minor detail (some guy who starred in a dumb youtube video is now a girl-didn't see the video, and which video isn't really relevant). After lunch, he said he was surprised that I had brought it up, since I knew his views on it. I actually did not, and he said that he thinks that man and woman were made in god's image, and that god didn't make mistakes. This kinda upset me, since I have transgender friends (and the thing is, so does he) and he's basically saying that they're all wrong. It just... I dunno. Like I prefaced this with, he's a nice guy, and he wouldn't hurt anyone or even really judge anyone-but his view just seems sort of wrong to me.

Also, if anyone thinks this is too religious for the forum, just let me know and I'll remove this-I don't THINK it's too religious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Well, it is an exploit, and it can feel artificial, but it also makes sense in setting given that the exploit exists, and he is being hypocritical.
    2. Well, he better pay attention.
    3. Well, this is obviously a biased sample of his behavior, but I'm not a fan. Like, he's not just holding this view, he's expressing displeasure that you would even mention the topic given that he holds this view. That's a weirdly controlling reaction.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Well, it is an exploit, and it can feel artificial, but it also makes sense in setting given that the exploit exists, and he is being hypocritical.
    2. Well, he better pay attention.
    3. Well, this is obviously a biased sample of his behavior, but I'm not a fan. Like, he's not just holding this view, he's expressing displeasure that you would even mention the topic given that he holds this view. That's a weirdly controlling reaction.
    Spoiler: Not Sure Why Still Spoilered, But Who Am I To Buck A Trend?
    Show
    1-Okay. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable in being irked. It's a minor thing, really-I'm pretty much over it by now.

2-Eeyup.

3-We've had some pretty strong disagreements that have made our friendship rocky in the past, and that's what he's trying to avoid.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Can my rant be "why is it that this forum I used to love has been ruined by .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    The idea that this forum has been "ruined by".......

Please just no.
    Let's just argue about things like Dungeons & Dragons, My Little Pony, and Pokemon.
    Pretty please?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

Please just no.
    Let's just argue about things like Dungeons & Dragons, My Little Pony, and Pokemon.
    Pretty please?
    Pikachu is a USELESS PIECE OF ****!

How about we talk about God! Or The pokemon that's greater then God!

Arceus, and Mega Rayquaza for those at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Of the three, I think we all know which one is clearly the worst.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-08-18 at 11:12 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Pocket Monsters... Which is really saying something, since I like Pokemon! It's just that all three are pretty dang awesome.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Pocket Monsters... Which is really saying something, since I like Pokemon! It's just that all three are pretty dang awesome.
    Well, I've got a link to a mix of two of them in my sig. And I know that at least one person has brewed up some Pony variants to go in it, so, there you go. Why choose?

Confound it! Who brought civility into this rant thread?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #83

Well now I want to make a game where preteens force sentient ponies to do battle in their backyards for their amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Moff Chumley used to have a thread that was this exactly, I think.
    All, the old days.

SIGHS WISTFULLY
    Oh, dang, I remember him! Man, good times.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

25. - Top - End - #85

Aha!

At which I can successfully vent my spleen and thereby become a calmer person by reducing the many complaints I would like to wish to register with life itself for review and arbitration!

...Wait, no. I'm already calm. I just like the idea of writing long dissertations about minor things that bother me. Just the idea of it, though. I wouldn't actually enjoy writing them for someone to read. It would damage my secret standing.

Maybe this rant is that I don't have the drive to rant correctly. But then, isn't a rant usually just an angry digression from a civilized conversation? Though, I suppose it has been seeing use as a impassioned speech filled with bile and rhetoric. Not to say that rhetoric is a problem, of course. And bile is best left in the stomach. Not that anyone means the physical acidic bile when that say that. It is merely a curious expression to do with something that you feel brings that effect; the taste of sick to the back of your throat. Which is thoroughly unpleasant and explains why few people ever refer to any part of their own rants as "bile".

... I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this. And I can pretend that's irritating. Grr & such.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Aha!

At which I can successfully vent my spleen and thereby become a calmer person by reducing the many complaints I would like to wish to register with life itself for review and arbitration!

...Wait, no. I'm already calm. I just like the idea of writing long dissertations about minor things that bother me. Just the idea of it, though. I wouldn't actually enjoy writing them for someone to read. It would damage my secret standing.

Maybe this rant is that I don't have the drive to rant correctly. But then, isn't a rant usually just an angry digression from a civilized conversation? Though, I suppose it has been seeing use as a impassioned speech filled with bile and rhetoric. Not to say that rhetoric is a problem, of course. And bile is best left in the stomach. Not that anyone means the physical acidic bile when that say that. It is merely a curious expression to do with something that you feel brings that effect; the taste of sick to the back of your throat. Which is thoroughly unpleasant and explains why few people ever refer to any part of their own rants as "bile".

... I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this. And I can pretend that's irritating. Grr & such.
    Meta-rant! :D
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Is it really hypocrisy, though? Saying that you don't like discussions where noone is willing to change their viewpoint does not mean that condemn refusals to change your mind, only that you don't find such discussions fun. Sure, saying outright that you aren't going to change your opinion no matter what may be a bit hypocritical, but people are prone to exaggeration as a part of natural speech, and you have to consider whether he really meant it or not.

Also, note that he did it to shut the discussion down. As far as I read it, you didn't give him any good enough arguments for him to consider changing his mind, and he didn't enjoy the discussion, so he stopped it. Sure, "Can we just cut this short, I'm not having fun" would be less hypocritical, but if you want him to say so, try to say so next time this happens.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Show

Actually, I don't think that was hypocrisy.
    Item 1: he doesn't enjoy arguments where nothing gets resolved and no-one changes their minds
    Item 2: he doesn't want to participate in an argument where he's not prepared to change his mind.

These two points are perfectly consistent with one another. What would be hypocritical would be if he did enter a vigorous debate with you, on a topic on which he wasn't willing to be persuaded.

Show

Sorry, I think there's a small inconsistency in your story here. You say your friend brought up the topic, but your other friend said you brought it up. Is that what you meant when you said "I actually did not", or did you mean you didn't know his views?

Either way, whenever religion comes up, you need to make allowances for the fact that the believer is speaking a completely different language from the non-believer. The words sound the same, but their meanings are changed in ways that make the whole discussion a minefield. Which probably has a lot to do with why the whole topic is banned from here. Only you can decide whether you're willing to let a thing like that spoil your friendship - depends how much you value it, I guess.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Meta-rant! :D
    Dang those blasted Meta's to heck!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, this is probably the least coherent thread I've ever seen here.

It's a refreshing change of pace, except for the giant angry faces and vaguely sexist remarks.
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2016-08-19 at 09:33 AM.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.