New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: How is There No Thread for This?

Yeah, I had mentioned earlier in the thread about the elemental gun from the Reis subquest. However, I just realized I have no idea if lowered Faith will impact it or not, as I never had that much of a Faith dump in a play through before. But either way, I do get that lovely Ras Algethi from Balthier. So at least one person can be gunning in style.

Concentrate is not bad, but since I also have access to Attack Boost I do not know if it will be worth the trade most of the time. Maybe for the Bard's harp, since I think it is not tied to PA if memory serves.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by From the Battle Mechanics Guide
    Musical Instrument damage = [(PA + MA) / 2] * WP
    So Harps would benefit from Attack Boost, but probably more from Concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Also from the BMG
    MAGICAL GUNS | range: minimum 3, maximum 8 (line of sight)
    ================================================== =============================
    An ATTACK with a magical gun is the only time the ATTACK command is magical.
    It's a MOD 5 magical attack (see section 3.2 for details) -- basically, a
    BLACK MAGIC spell with the WP of the magical gun substituted for MA:

damage = [(CFa * TFa * Q * WP) / 10000]

60% of the time, the magical gun will deliver a level 1 spell (Q = 14), 30% of
    the time, it will deliver a level 2 spell (Q = 18), and 10% of the time, it wil
    deliver a level 3 spell (Q = 24). Magical guns cannot score conventional
    critical hits.

ATTACKs with magical guns are not subject to the modifiers found in this
    section; instead, they are subject to those for MOD 5 attacks, where MA0 = WP.
    Like those with physical guns, magical gun ATTACKs ignore evasion. They are
    subject to Counter Magic, Counter Flood, Blade Grasp, and Hamedo, but do not
    trigger other Countergrasp reactions.
    Probably better off with standard bullet guns in that case.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I always thought could be interesting would be playing the game as a group.

Set Ramza to autobattle. And then split the 'generic' characters between the players present.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

It is actually pretty fun. I did it with just one friend, so I took two and she took the other two. Worked out pretty well.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    One thing I always thought could be interesting would be playing the game as a group.

Set Ramza to autobattle. And then split the 'generic' characters between the players present.
    Ahhh that sounds really cool. Reminds me of FFVI, can have 2 (or more?) players, let someone control some peeps in combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It is actually pretty fun. I did it with just one friend, so I took two and she took the other two. Worked out pretty well.
    Neat.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Ahhh that sounds really cool. Reminds me of FFVI, can have 2 (or more?) players, let someone control some peeps in combat.
    The Super Famicom/Super NES releases of the main series all had multiplayer support it turns out, though the only ports to another system of 4 5 and 6 which kept it were Final Fantasy Anthology and Final Fantasy Chronicles. FF9 also supported a second player. I was also unaware that the WiiWare version of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years allowed up to 4 players to control the party until I read that article.

7. - Top - End - #67

Yeah, I remember playing FF6 multiplayer a couple times, because I am old. I had pondered something like that with FFT with a roommate back in the day, but it just seemed too clunky. And then War of the Lions came out and made it all somewhat less meaningful since it now had multiplayer of a sort.

Just beat Cuchulainn or whatever his name is (he'll always be Queklain to me I suppose), and started chapter 3 (where inviting those Mythril Gun-toting Chemists will be of utmost importance, as both my Mediator and my Bard have been packing Romanda Guns with great success, especially with the former having Attack Boost on). The team has done well, though a couple early random battles led to wipes (except in a couple cases where the Mediator hit a low-chance Invite to save everyone's bacon, one of which also scored a Mythril Bow, Headband and Jujitsu Gi from an enemy Archer way back towards the beginning of chapter 2, because Bard-getting had jacked our levels a bit). The Bard has been better than expected as a healer/random status effect giver, though the lack of reviving still stings at times. Also, the Bard gets way overleveled compared to the others with all his dancing. Ramza using armor worked out great with that relatively advanced stuff you get from Agrias and Gafgarion in chapter 2, made him a real tank as Squire. Archer having that Mythril Bow made him useful, and in the end there isn't really a weak link in the chain. Even the Mediator, between Attack Boosted gunnery and a couple times where Mimic Darlavon put multiple enemies to sleep in one use, is not a liability despite low HP and stats. My only concern going forward is taking on Velius and other bigger HP total bosses, since this might be a solid team but it lacks any true heavy hitters like a Monk or Ninja. But I guess there's always randomly getting Reraise from the Bard...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

The trick to those single enemy boss fights is to boost your speed so you get multiple turns of attacking. Heavy hitting isn't as necessary if you can smack him several times for each time he can hit you. I presume Ramza has Move +3 for the fight v Weigraf?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I have vague memories of a gameshark code unlocking some kind of multiplayer battle debug mode for FFT. I never used it, I just remember hearing about it.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #70

Welp, Riovanes just came and went, and I was surprised. I did not expect a repeat of the all-nighter needed to clear it in the Knight SCC play through from years ago, but I certainly thought it would take more than one try. Heck, I forgot to even change Ramza's equipment for his big one on one. Wiegraf took him to critically low HP, but two strokes from the Icebrand you get from that lame FFTA2 character, Luso, finished him off. I went for suicide tactics against Velius, having my bard use his gun while he charged up big summons instead of singing. Ramza and the Bard went down and the Mediator (who did like 150 damage a shot between his weakness from charging, her Attack Boost on the gun, and good Zodiac compatibility) would have before her next turn from Titan, but the bullets and powerful sword hits from Geo and Ramza had weakened him so that the Archer finished him off. No issue with the rooftop either; half the team was Stopped before anyone even had a turn, but Ramza hit a sword blow on Elmdore and the Geo then brought him to his knees with Wind Blast.

11. - Top - End - #71

Playthrough is done, and I enjoyed it. Several fights in chapter 4 gave difficulty (even the normally simple fight at Bethla Garrison when trying to open the sluice, where the elevation and numbers caused some problems, doubly so since I also needed to invite the Artemis Bow-wielding archer for my own guy to have it) especially Marquis Elmdor at Limberry and Ser Aliste in the optional Lionel quest, because my team was EXTREMELY weak against an opponent with Blade Grasp, since it blocks swords, bows and guns. Finally got through Elmdor thanks to him Vampirizing most of the team, where Aliste was knocking out all his support staff and slowly Geomancing him to death. A couple of the final fights were tough as well; not the final bosses, but right before them with the Barich fight against the various breeds of Hydra was a challenge. After a couple deaths, got lucky with a Geomanced petrification of the chemist, so no one was left to revive or de-petrify the others as they were slowly worn down.

Where it was a team effort in the first three chapters, in 4 it quickly became the Ramza and Mediator Power Hour. Ramza with the powerful and speedy hits from Orlandeau's Excalibur, and the Mediator because Ras Algethi combined with Attack Boost was massively powerful.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like you had fun. Good job.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

So: after a grating experience with a Let's Play, where I saw odd strategies going through, my tactical mind just couldn't handle it anymore. Decided to do a run of Journey of the Five, because I'm pretty sure I can work something better.

Case in point - the second battle at Lionel, where you defeat the patrol. I saw a horrible strategy attempting to face them head-on, and the cursing was just irritating. Figured that the best strategy wasn't to face them head-on, but to use the Lionel Castle gate as a chokepoint, bringing them two-by-two. Cloud and Dante, having ranged attacks, could deal with them at a distance, while Ramza and Link attacked them sideways. Snake, as a Chemist (needed one that could pull off throwing items when needed, anyways), mostly hid, healed, took a smoke break every now and then, and chased the last guy, but his ability to turn Invisible allowed me to play the computer - the AI knows where your invisible allies are, knowing where not to move and where not to attack, so I used him as a mobile obstacle. All in all, the first try I had to reset, but the second was just peachy. Used all the Potions, but didn't use a single Phoenix Down, and what few Ethers I consumed were worthwhile (I recovered more than what I used, so it was a net win).

Planning to have Ramza as a Knight, Link as a Ranger going into Bard (most likely), Snake as a Monk (might not like the Let's-Player game style, but Snake pulls being a Monk pretty well), and have two generic females as casters (one White, one Black). Undecided on Cloud (not my favorite character) or Dante (though he pulls off being a Rogue pretty well, IMO).
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

What LP were you watching?

15. - Top - End - #75

Cloud, Snake, Ramza, Dante, Link, sounds like that one mod.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A plot question: why did Orlandu (T. G. Cid) join the main character, and what was the shadowy plot about faking his death?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Cid joined because he'd been declared a traitor. The false death, is because they didn't want people believing he was alive.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haven't read through the thread yet, but I wanted to say that I tried a run where I only used one class on each person, so that I'd actually buy and use most of the class features. So, Ramza was a knight, also had a male archer, and female black and white mages. This was actually pretty fun...

...until weigraf. Had to stop there, obviously.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

He's not so bad. Break his sword and he's kind of a wimp. At least that's always been my experience. Outside of Bard Ramza trying to not get ventilated.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

IIRC, any equipment that absorbs lightning will nullify him, because the game thinks Lightning Stab is lightning elemental even though it isn't.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    IIRC, any equipment that absorbs lightning will nullify him, because the game thinks Lightning Stab is lightning elemental even though it isn't.
    It won't quite nullify him, he also has Monk skills and will try Wave Fist and Earth Slash if I recall correctly, it has been a while though. Those can be blocked with a shield, however. Or at least Wave Fist can. I can't remember if you can have a way to absorb Earth by then or not.

Factotum Variants!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Cid joined because he'd been declared a traitor. The false death, is because they didn't want people believing he was alive.
    Do you recall why they had him declared a traitor?
    I only halfway followed the deeper politics behind the war and Delita's machinations. Was Cid gotten rid of just because he was a good general who would get in the way (make his team win, or fight against corruption in his team), or was there a deeper reason?

I think I recall that he was sent to join Ramza because it was thought Ramza was doing something good and could the help, so the noble knight should be doing something worthwhile. So it makes sense he wasn't just killed.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Do you recall why they had him declared a traitor?
    I only halfway followed the deeper politics behind the war and Delita's machinations. Was Cid gotten rid of just because he was a good general who would get in the way (make his team win, or fight against corruption in his team), or was there a deeper reason?

I think I recall that he was sent to join Ramza because it was thought Ramza was doing something good and could the help, so the noble knight should be doing something worthwhile. So it makes sense he wasn't just killed.
    Goltana basically declared him a traitor for not wanting to go to war, Delita, after ensuring the death of Goltana, faked Cid's death so that he could help Ramza uncover the second layer of truth to the church's plot. The first layer was that the church was goading the war on so they could step in to mediate peace and seize power, but they in turn were being manipulated by the Shrine Knights who had joined with Lucavi. Delita knew Ramza would do the right thing and uncover both plots, and that Cid, having been a contemporary of Balbanes, would do the same.

It's so complicated but I love it.

Factotum Variants!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

What LP were you watching?
    FFT - Journey of the 5, by DaTruthDT.

It showed that the mod has very interesting ideas, but I cringed at some of the decisions. He wastes a lot of Phoenix Downs with somewhat poor decisions, thus forcing him to buy more, which ends up crippling him in terms of what he can get. Sure - Potions are a must, since you're forced to be with no other healer than a Chemist, and only after you get your first classes (Knight, Ranger, Priest, Wizard) you get some healing (Knight's Sacrifice, Priest using White Magic). Ramza learns a healing spell, but it takes like 500 AP to master; the advantage is that it's wide AoE (3 squares width), but by the time you learn it, you get better options. He also gives Item to everyone, even the guests, which will waste them, instead of being a bit smarter and give them other stuff - Agrias with White Magic is a given, particularly if you learn how to run a MP battery around (incredibly easy between the Knight's Invigorate, Ramza's Encourage, and Link's "Saria's Song", which grant enough MP for everyone at somewhat negligible cost).

Of course, hindsight is a given, but it seemed like playing blindly. Plus, when things don't go his way (i.e. having Snake quicken someone with his no MP ability "Move"), he curses a lot. Which ends up on a recursive curse loop when you figure out he's cursing because he made a bad move, and you start cursing the right way to do it. That pretty much motivated me to play the mod rather than anything else.

Speaking of which - did the first forced battle with monsters (special cameo by Babus, aka the Runemaster servant of Prince Mewt in FFT:A), and it was somewhat difficult until I figured the right strategy - the Chocobo is deliberately thrown first at you to tank (it'll have Reraise), the Bombs should be taken from afar, and the Lamia will never use a physical attack, so correct positioning can actually work on your favor (the Dischord song ability they use hits both allies and enemies). The idea is to prevent the Lamia from being hasted and granted Reraise, or else she'll start going willy-nilly with the party.

Link can be a Ranger now (except no ranged weapon, which sucks), Cloud can also shift between Knight or Ranger, and the rest are still unable to access further classes, so I need at least one random battle to set them up to point (and maybe snatch a few Crystals for free skills!) Not only that, also to train the generic ladies to become casters.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Goltana basically declared him a traitor for not wanting to go to war, Delita, after ensuring the death of Goltana, faked Cid's death so that he could help Ramza uncover the second layer of truth to the church's plot. The first layer was that the church was goading the war on so they could step in to mediate peace and seize power, but they in turn were being manipulated by the Shrine Knights who had joined with Lucavi. Delita knew Ramza would do the right thing and uncover both plots, and that Cid, having been a contemporary of Balbanes, would do the same.

It's so complicated but I love it.
    Yeah, though I think the real reason is Delita knew that, since the 'jailers' were fool enough to leave Cid his sword, any attempt Delita made at killing the old man would have had him turned into a Commoner Kabob.

Funny how his death would have been considered necessary to weaken Goltana's side when he was already imprisoned and thus not leading anyone. Or perhaps not everyone knew Cid had fallen out of favor?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    Yeah, though I think the real reason is Delita knew that, since the 'jailers' were fool enough to leave Cid his sword, any attempt Delita made at killing the old man would have had him turned into a Commoner Kabob.

Funny how his death would have been considered necessary to weaken Goltana's side when he was already imprisoned and thus not leading anyone. Or perhaps not everyone knew Cid had fallen out of favor?
    Well someone likely knew that he had one of the Zodiac Stones. If he were presumed 'dead' they wouldn't have a need to come looking for it right away, as presumably it was in Delita's hands, and he was presumably on the side of the Church, though not the Lucavi. But it's not like the Church new the Shrine Knights were suborned by the Lucavi until they killed Funeral.

Factotum Variants!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I hope this isn't necromancy yet, but I didn't want to make a new thread for such a frivolous question:

I'm playing FFT on my phone. Good way to kill dead time, I find. I'm currently just starting the second half of chapter 2, with Mustadio waiting expectantly for a spot in my party (which is filled with Chocobo to ensure I can place things where I wish). But now I'm at an impasse. There are three main parties I am tempted to run, but I can't decide: (Ramza is working towards Squire/Dark Knight in any case)

Heretic Heroes: Agrias, Mustadio, Malak, and Rapha (Malak and Rapha probably using generic classes since their unique classes are pretty weak). These are the main characters with actual, genuine investment in the main story.

Knights of the Round: Agrias, Cid, Meliadoul, and Beowulf. Magic knights of all stripes.

Dissidia Tactics: Agrias, Luso, Cloud, Balthier. Champions from different games. Also includes generics representing Kain, Gilgamesh, and Vivi to fill the gaps before our heroes arrive.

Note that I don't care about "gamebreaker" status, here. I like Dark Knights, Cid, Shirahadori (Blade Catch), Level Drain, and any other cheese I can get. For me, a large part of the fun of the game is twisting its mechanics into a pretzel.

I just can't decide between which team build I want to play through it with this time. Anyone have an opinion? (I've won the game more than once, I'm just playing it because it's a fun game.)
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2016-11-16 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Agrias, Cid, Beowulf and Reis (or however it's spelled now.) Make for a surprisingly awesome and competent team. Cid and Agrias can knock their armor off, and then Beowulf and Reis finish them off.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm replaying the game on my Android tablet too, just finished Chapter 2. For now Ramza (mainly Squire, with dips in other jobs), Agrias (Knight/Holy Knight) and Mustadio (Gunner/Chemist, with dips in Archer) are my regulars, with two generic mages (from now on I'm going to specialize one in Black/Time, the other in White/Summoning) to complete the team. It's probably not an optimal team, not even close, but who cares. :P

The plot of this game is better than I remembered, now that I can actually understand it thank to the new translation. I love Delita as the "other protagonist" of the story. I like these setups where you have basically two main characters, with one being in the spotlight and another in the shadows.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Agrias, Cid, Beowulf and Reis (or however it's spelled now.) Make for a surprisingly awesome and competent team. Cid and Agrias can knock their armor off, and then Beowulf and Reis finish them off.
    Reis is definitely scary enough to deserve a slot, no question, and is a regular for me. She just didn't work with any of the three themes I was working with. Well, Beo and Reis could fit in the Heretic Heroes team as well, but one of the attractions I had for that team was that it's completed at the end of the third chapter rather than the latter half of the last chapter.

I'm not trying to build an "optimal" team, but a thematic team. With proper application of cheese, the game can be outright dominated by generics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    I'm replaying the game on my Android tablet too, just finished Chapter 2. For now Ramza (mainly Squire, with dips in other jobs), Agrias (Knight/Holy Knight) and Mustadio (Gunner/Chemist, with dips in Archer) are my regulars, with two generic mages (from now on I'm going to specialize one in Black/Time, the other in White/Summoning) to complete the team. It's probably not an optimal team, not even close, but who cares. :P

The plot of this game is better than I remembered, now that I can actually understand it thank to the new translation. I love Delita as the "other protagonist" of the story. I like these setups where you have basically two main characters, with one being in the spotlight and another in the shadows.
    Yeah, the game is one of the best, plot wise. The murder of one innocent girl sends two best friends spiraling into lives of rebellion - one determined to never leave an innocent to suffer for "noble" agendas again, regardless of personal cost, and the other willing to sacrifice anything and everything to claim the power he lacked at the time. A hero so idealistic that, even when he knows the world punishes the good, he doesn't relent for an instant, and a hero that will kill, cheat, and manipulate to claw his way to the top and steer a maddened kingdom towards sanity.

A great game made even better in the remake and then perfected on tablets and phones - all of the improvements with none of the slowdown.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2016-11-16 at 12:28 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.