New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: How is There No Thread for This?

There's always, if you haven't dumped them, the starter pack. Agrias and the three generics from the opening. Soldiers trying desperately to fix what went wrong with their mission. From there it's a matter of a 'Royal mission' to stop the Lucavi. Which is a bit of RPing I admit.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Of the teams presented, my favorite is the Knights. All sword-wielding knights, yet what a variety of combat options! Cloud kinda fits here too; not a knight per se, but still uses sword skills like the others. And could be argued to be similar to a knight in his own world.

Skip the Dissidia squad. The best thing to do with Luso is strip him of equipment and ditch his butt. FFT:A is an abomination of a series that deprived us of a true sequel. Blech.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    Of the teams presented, my favorite is the Knights. All sword-wielding knights, yet what a variety of combat options! Cloud kinda fits here too; not a knight per se, but still uses sword skills like the others. And could be argued to be similar to a knight in his own world.

Skip the Dissidia squad. The best thing to do with Luso is strip him of equipment and ditch his butt. FFT:A is an abomination of a series that deprived us of a true sequel. Blech.
    That's... a really good point, actually. I may ditch Cid for Cloud for that team. As incredibly powerful as he is, I always see Cid as basically the Cartman of Final Fantasy Tactics. "I've got the best stats in the game, I've got the best sword in the game, and I... I've got everyone's unique skills, too! Everyone's. Except Malak's and Rapha's, though. They suck." The only downside is that Cloud, like Beowulf, Reis, and Meliadoul, he comes into play so late in the game that there's not much left to do once you have him.

Luso is FFT:A2, which is alright. Luso in particular was a pretty interesting character in that game, since he's pretty much gung-ho from the word go, unlike Ramza and Marche. I actually like FFT:A a good bit, because it has the most believable villain protagonist I've ever seen. Marche is willing to rip the seams of the world he's in apart in order to go home, without much regard for the damage he's doing to friends as well as enemies. Granted, he's the voice of maturity in a playground of children who'd rather be happy in their dreams than grow up in the real world, but his behavior would cast him as the big bad of any other Final Fantasy game.

I don't think we'd have gotten a "proper" sequel to FFT. Ramza's story ended where it should have, with him free at last, and Delita's ended where it should have, with him having everything he wanted and nothing he needed. The other FFT games, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII are also Ivalice games, so they advance that story in their own ways as well.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tried the two FFT:A games, but they bored me after a very short while. Especially the laws system. Ugh, I can't imagine how somebody thought that was a good idea.

I think an actual sequel to FFT would make no sense, but I'd really love a "spiritual successor" with a similar tone. The Advance games kept the gameplay, more or less, but they're all "let's have adventure!" games, which is almost the opposite of the feeling the first Tactics game has.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

It would be fairly easy to have a proper sequel to FFT. The Lion War was loosely based on the War of the Roses, down to the victor cementing his reign by marrying a rival claimant. Using Delita's line as an analogue of the House of Tudor, it would be fairly easy to build a story based upon his descendant breaking with the Glabados Church and facing invasion from nations that didn't - a direct analogue of the conflicts between England and Spain in the age of Elizabeth. Such a war, particularly if it came with the discovery of a forgotten continent, would also provide for the Zodiac stones to be rediscovered and allowing the Lucavi to rise again.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    I tried the two FFT:A games, but they bored me after a very short while. Especially the laws system. Ugh, I can't imagine how somebody thought that was a good idea.

I think an actual sequel to FFT would make no sense, but I'd really love a "spiritual successor" with a similar tone. The Advance games kept the gameplay, more or less, but they're all "let's have adventure!" games, which is almost the opposite of the feeling the first Tactics game has.
    Agreed, the law system was the worst idea. It was marginally better in A2 where you couldn't get an instant game over because of a law outside your control at least.

They also didn't keep enough of the gameplay. I really really like the CTB system in Tactics, having a system where some actions happen right away, but others take time to finish was amazing, but everything resolves instantly in A and A2.

I also absolutely hated the whole 'learning abilities from equipment' thing. You either game the system to get gear with useful abilities early, or you were hindered for significant portions of the game.

Man if I didn't have so many other games demanding my time I'd probably go play through FFT again.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #97

1) Do the other Ivalice games actually progress the story at all, or did Ivalice just become a generic name for Final Fantasy's world somewhere along the line? I never really saw anything more than superficial connections

2) FFT:A was pretty sad, not just story wise, but also mechanically. The whole mechanic of gaining abilities from items killed what was the most fun part of FFT for me; now instead of being able to play through and customize characters how I want, I am constantly gated by which items are available, and many of the items are only obtainable through weird roundabout sidequests (I don't remember much more about it than that, but I remember being very irate at finding out several items with key abilities required a large degree of RNG to obtain).

Besides that the Law system was pretty meh as well. I understand they meant well by it, the idea being that the laws would force changing up gameplay, so you couldn't just spam the same tactic in every fight. In practice it never really changed that much, and felt more like a contrived annoyance than something that added real depth to the game.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    1) Do the other Ivalice games actually progress the story at all, or did Ivalice just become a generic name for Final Fantasy's world somewhere along the line? I never really saw anything more than superficial connections
    Ivalice is the shared world of a small subset of games - Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Of those, XII is a distant prequel, I have no idea how much connection Vagrant Story has (because I can't play it), Advance was set in a dream-world mirror rather than Ivalice proper, and A2 takes place in the real Ivalice not long after XII.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

2) FFT:A was pretty sad, not just story wise, but also mechanically. The whole mechanic of gaining abilities from items killed what was the most fun part of FFT for me; now instead of being able to play through and customize characters how I want, I am constantly gated by which items are available, and many of the items are only obtainable through weird roundabout sidequests (I don't remember much more about it than that, but I remember being very irate at finding out several items with key abilities required a large degree of RNG to obtain).
    Oh it wasn't even just the sidequests, remember putting down parts of the map as the world expanded? The order and location in which you did so determined some of the items you could get. Good luck figuring any of that out without a guide.

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

On the one hand, I actually really did like the story and even the gameplay of FFT:A. It has a very different feel to FFT.

FFT is a Gritty Low Magic game with tinges of cosmic horror. (Though admittedly, I remember most of the plot through the lens of the old playstation version and all the translation problems it had.) About a young idealistic noble trying to do the right thing in a country that's ruled by scheming and backstabbing, even as eldritch abominations are emerging to destroy the world.

FFT:A is a High Magic, Shonen-esque game about a Kid who is destroying the world to try and return home to the 'real' world.

But yes, laws could be frustrating at times, at least until you get Law Cards.

Nothing like fielding an All-Human party and then dropping a "Can't Damage Humans" Law Card.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't a fan of FFTA. Just wasn't as interesting as the original. No bad, just not as good.

12. - Top - End - #102

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Oh it wasn't even just the sidequests, remember putting down parts of the map as the world expanded? The order and location in which you did so determined some of the items you could get. Good luck figuring any of that out without a guide.
    And once you put the places down, enjoy them constantly coming under attack, so that you need to run back and forth to fight the same battles over and over again. FFTA2 fixed that by ending the clan wars, at least, but replaced them with the ridiculously breakable auction system (once you open the coin shop and begin outspending everyone else).

I liked the idea behind having multiple races in the advance games, but in practice, it gated so many interesting build possibilities. Instead of Tactics' 19 jobs, you get far fewer to work with depending on your race. Are you a Bangaa? There's not a lot of options for you, sadly. Nu Mou? You're some flavor of mage (or morpher in FFTA). Moogle? You're a juggler, or a worse version of something else.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly the Bangaa didn't get hosed that bad on jobs - compared to the Seeq and Gria, that is. If you increased the number of jobs for Bangaa, Seeq, and Gria they'd be much more distinct from each other. Still, I liked the races. Laws I learned how to deal with (and stocked up on Almighty Anti-laws just in case), but there was a reason I fought the things i could in Jagds.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

So, playing FFT on my phone....

The Dark Knight Job is a pain to get. I've mastered Black Magic, Knight Skills, and I've started unlocking the other classes, but even using the Focus + JP boost it's crazy hard.

Though one side effect, Ramza as a Monk is now terrifying. Because I'm only in the second act and his fists are one-shotting anything they come into contact with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget JP Spill. So everyone leveling together in the same class will cause them to level faster because JP Spills from one character to another. It's slow, but adds up if everyone is the same class. (Unless I'm confusing this with another mechanic.)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Don't forget JP Spill. So everyone leveling together in the same class will cause them to level faster because JP Spills from one character to another. It's slow, but adds up if everyone is the same class. (Unless I'm confusing this with another mechanic.)
    Abusing that with gleeful abandon.

Also, does anyone else
    Spoiler: spoilers for a game that's almost as old as I am.
    Show
    feel really bad about killing Gaf Gafgarion? I mean dude seems like more of a genuine cynic than a bad guy, and he's just trying to talk some sense into you most of the time. Yeah, he's attacking you, but you're literally leading a renegade army at that point.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Not really, he did kind of start it.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

If you worked in nefarious deeds and your friend/coworker snapped and tried to rescue rather than kidnap the princess wouldn't you try to stop him? The game does generally portray Ramza as needlessly idealistic.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Would you feel any better about it if somebody had paid you to do it? Gafgarion turns against you because you refused to butcher a defenseless teenage girl for no other reason that his employer wanted it done. He was nothing more than an amoral mercenary, and died like one.

20. - Top - End - #110

He's the typical bully (I used a stronger word, but forum filter) who justifies being a bully by telling you (and himself, I imagine) that "he's just being reasonable" and that "either you become a bully or you become the victim of one" and things like these. Plenty of these wastes of space in the real world, too. :P

Ramza was portrayed as too idealistic, but that's because he thought he could keep associating with a villain like Gafgarion without, sooner or later, becoming a villain himself.

That said, I'm doing the third chapter. Going on with the story would trigger the series of fights that includes the Wiegraf solo battle, so I'm trying to buff my characters a bit by traveling in circles while my low-level mooks do errands. I need a way to stop those stupid Chocobos from becoming a swarm that clutters my party screen every two battles. :/
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2016-11-28 at 03:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

So. I'm in essence at war with the RNG now. An Arms race without limit. Even having beaten the main story, and unlocking the secret items in the poachers store, the RNG enemies are still entertaining/difficult to fight so I'm doing the various side quests.

My team is...

Ramza - A Dark Knight. I've fully mastered that skill tree, as a secondary skill he has Monk. To enable him to use Chakra and Purification to heal and purge status effects. Though Sanguine Sword is working better for healing at this point. First Strike as his reaction ability, and Vehemence as his support. For movement, I vary between teleport and Move +2. DEFINITELY the power house of the party at level 83.

Orlandeu - Sword Saint. Not nearly as technically developed as Ramza, but Orlandeu is insanely powerful just as he was. Particular with the permanent Haste of Excalibur. At some point I intend to level him up as a monk to gain First Strike/Chakra and Purification. Possibly Revive. Probably the second most powerful character in the party at level 78.

Construct 8 - I pulled in Construct 8 to Replace Agrias in the lineup. Since Orlandeu covers everything she covers and more. And she was waaaay under leveled thanks to being grabbed before my Dark Knight grinding spree. Pretty much what you see is what you get. Grumpy Robot powerhouse with lasers for ranged damage. Which the party lacked before. Level 82

Meliadul - If I'm spelling her name correctly. Also largely obsolesced by Orlandeu, I've been considering replacing her with Beowulf. Now that I have him. But in the mean time, she serves as a solid fighter. And helps to disable ranged attackers by shattering their weapons. Level 75.

And Depending on the Mission. Either Rolfe or Eva.

Eva - An Arithmetician. The best spellcaster I have. But due to the difficulties grinding with the RNG characters being so deadly, she has limited targeting options. Sometimes she's insanely effective. Other times she's completely useless. Depending largely on luck and circumstance. One of the starting 'generic' soldiers you begin the game with. Level 50.

And Rolfe - A White Mage. The SECOND best spellcaster I have. Set up with White magic as his primary skill and Black magic as his secondary, the teleport movement, and at level 47 the lowest level character I've got. But he's still good enough at dropping in to raise people who get dropped.

Rolfe, Eva, and Ramza have the most filled out skill lists. Construct 8 doesn't HAVE skill lists, and Meliadul and Orlandeu are new enough aquisitions that I haven't been able to put much focus into leveling them up and aquiring the reaction and side skills I'd want for them.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

If you're using a calculator, the cheesy method to make the game super easy is get your speed to be either 5 or 10 through items or other manipulation. Now no matter what if you choose CT5 as your targetting method, you will hit every unit on the board. Pick an element and give all of your units an item to resist it (most commonly it's used with Holy, and your units all wear Chameleon robes to turn that damage to healing), and just cackle with glee as all fights become a cakewalk.

It's entertaining for a battle or two before you swear off using calculator ever again.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're using a calculator, the cheesy method to make the game super easy is get your speed to be either 5 or 10 through items or other manipulation. Now no matter what if you choose CT5 as your targetting method, you will hit every unit on the board. Pick an element and give all of your units an item to resist it (most commonly it's used with Holy, and your units all wear Chameleon robes to turn that damage to healing), and just cackle with glee as all fights become a cakewalk.

It's entertaining for a battle or two before you swear off using calculator ever again.
    I do that, but being a Calculator has SERIOUSLY put a dent in Eva's direct damage. So mostly I've been throwing Debuffs that my side is immune to. Sometimes I'll throw out Arise if my side has people who get knocked down by something.

Which is especially fun against undead heavy opponents.

But yeah. While Eva is seriously handy, she's also rarely a board wiper.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Once you have CT5, you either flip her into a Black Mage for power, or into a Knight with Excalibur so she can get off two or three attacks to everyone else's one.

On the other hand, if you can reliably target only enemies, you can use Flare from the Black Mage which is actually stronger than Holy, but can't be absorbed.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

For the people in this thread who were looking for a sequel to FFT, if you can get your hands on a copy of Tactics Ogre it's the game FFT was based on. It's basically FFT except with actual difficulty.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

@Druid91:
    Definitely drop Meliadoul for Beowulf. There's not many ways to describe the absurd delight of turning entire swaths of your opposition to stone with a near 100% success rate AoE, or just straight up turning them into chickens for fun and laughs. Dropping his Drain spell on Lucavi is also pretty gratifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    For the people in this thread who were looking for a sequel to FFT, if you can get your hands on a copy of Tactics Ogre it's the game FFT was based on. It's basically FFT except with actual difficulty.
    If you've got a PSP, Vita, or PS TV: The PSP port is available on PSN at a reasonable price these days. It's the best version- they really expanded the skill system to include some of the genre's newer concepts like Zone of Control effects and tweaked the battles a little to take advantage of them. (EG: The Knight's Rampart Aura)
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

27. - Top - End - #117

Well, TO is more FFT with a lot of unnecessary grinding and about 1/10th of the gameplay variety. Like the vast majority of SRPGs, FFT's spiritual grandpappy offers little true combat variety between classes and limited customization. It took me years to beat the game on PS1; not because of difficulty, but because I made the fool decision to start that Hell Gate optional 100 floor dungeon and was too far in to turn back, yet too bored to play more than a few floors at a stretch before turning back to more engaging games. Like FFT.

The PSP port was an odd creature, fixing some flaws while creating others. To some extent it was a whole new game, with the addition of features like the battle rewind. Like the original, there is in to be had but it is still a much more vanilla experience than Ramza and the gang offer. The only things I liked over FFT was the option to make decisions that impact the story and thus have multiple endings, and the larger squad size allowing for some fun larger-scale battles (would have been neat if at certain times FFT had that, but not necessarily all game since it does make it a lot longer).

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Once you have CT5, you either flip her into a Black Mage for power, or into a Knight with Excalibur so she can get off two or three attacks to everyone else's one.

On the other hand, if you can reliably target only enemies, you can use Flare from the Black Mage which is actually stronger than Holy, but can't be absorbed.
    Yeah, once you master Calculator you need to get out of that class ASAP. You might even want to level DOWN while a Calculator to get levels with better growth like Black mage or Summoner.

I think I actually shied away from using a Calculator the last couple times I played. It simply makes the game, well, too easy and tedious all at once, as I try to do the math for maximum effect.

Factotum Variants!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    Well, TO is more FFT with a lot of unnecessary grinding and about 1/10th of the gameplay variety. Like the vast majority of SRPGs, FFT's spiritual grandpappy offers little true combat variety between classes and limited customization. It took me years to beat the game on PS1; not because of difficulty, but because I made the fool decision to start that Hell Gate optional 100 floor dungeon and was too far in to turn back, yet too bored to play more than a few floors at a stretch before turning back to more engaging games. Like FFT.

The PSP port was an odd creature, fixing some flaws while creating others. To some extent it was a whole new game, with the addition of features like the battle rewind. Like the original, there is in to be had but it is still a much more vanilla experience than Ramza and the gang offer. The only things I liked over FFT was the option to make decisions that impact the story and thus have multiple endings, and the larger squad size allowing for some fun larger-scale battles (would have been neat if at certain times FFT had that, but not necessarily all game since it does make it a lot longer).
    I have to disagree. I never felt like I had to grind in TO. At least not in the original. (Ok, you probably have to grind if you want the secret ending...but that's not even the good ending). The PSP port made the baffling decision to place new classes you unlock at level one, which meant you had to grind every time you got a new unique character. As far as variety went, there was definitely less variety in individual skills and ways to build a character, but far more in recruitment options and the battles themselves. You can't just faceroll your way through the game clubbing things with god-tier units like you can in FFT.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-01-26 at 08:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Tactics Ogre was originally on the SNES right? Is that the game which begins with using cards or something to build your hero? I didn't even make it through the first battle, I'm pretty sure. I was super turned off at the idea of losing honor or experience or something by killing weaker bad guys.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ