New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore

Discussion of the Goblins Comic. This is the place. Y'all hit 51 on the last one, so I took the liberty of getting this done.

Previous threads:

Goblins Thread 0

Goblins I
    Goblins II
    GoblIIIns
    Goblins IV: Live Free or Die Horribly
    Goblins V: It's Hard-Kore!
    Goblins VI: How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?
    Goblins VII: I'm TOTALLY Gonna Pee On This Thing!
    Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable
    Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!
    Goblins X: Orcs fall, everybody dies (horribly)
    Goblins XI: There ARE Goblins In This Comic, Right?
    Goblins XII: Your Home for Magical Limb Replacement
    Goblins XIII: Now With Goblins!
    Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission
    Goblins XV: Klik Here

Current informations on Axe Of Prissan wielders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wielders of the Axe of Prissan
    Starting with the most recent

Big Ears - Male Goblin Paladin. One of the protagonists of the story and current wielder of the axe.
    Saral Caine* - Evil Male Half Stone Giant/Half Human. Ally of Dellyn Goblinslayer and minor antagonist in the Brassmoon arc.
    Dri Featherknife - Female Human Rogue/Paladin. She was killed by Goblinslayer and Saral Caine after uncovering their plot to frame the sherrif of Brassmoon for murder.
    Flejj Hillmover - Male Dwarf. He fought Kore twice and survived. His family was not so lucky. He shaved his beard in shame.

----

Felsibeth "Soot" Blackbringer - Young Female Human Paladin. Youngest to ever wield the axe.
    Kelstride Blackbringer - Male Human Paladin. Soot's Father. Former chimney sweep. Killed by a Kobold stampede.
    Drose - Genderless Golem Paladin. Drose passed the Axe to Kelstride Blackbringer to prevent the demon imprisoned within from taking control of his body.
    Eled of the East - "Fat, over confident" Paladin. Was given the axe by Myorg.
    Mryorg* - Evil Male Ogre. Beat (but did not kill) Vilias Red in combat and took the Axe from her. Used it to cause great suffering before eventually giving it to Elad purely to make the demon contained within suffer after coming so close to freedom.
    Vilias Red* - Female Human Rogue. Was friends with Tivoth Fastfoot and took the axe after Tivoth died in battle with the intention of giving it to another Paladin.
    Tivoth Fastfoot - Male Paladin. Encountered Vilias Red looting a corpse and assumed she had murdered the man. Once he realized she was innocent, the two became friends and traveled together.

----

Kevitch Gritland* - Evil Male... formerly... Human maybe... Fighter/Wizard. Horribly mutated by an evil swamp. Killed Eldrock Cloudcry and claimed the axe as his own.
    Eldrock Cloudcry - Known in name only.

-----

Cal - Male Gnome Paladin. Egotistic gambler. Had a powerful, icy magic effect.
    Jelbin Crae - Male Human Paladin. Gave Cal the Axe willingly. Nothing else is known.

-----

Kore - Male Dwarf Paladin. Nigh-unstoppable genocide machine against all things that could conceivably be evil, including children. Currently has a speech impediment caused by the axe and rope. Chained and screaming souls as an IME. Created the axe, but may not have wielded it.

The Axe of Prissan is the second Prissan, a counterpart to the Hammer of Prissan which traps a great Good and is wielded by Evil. The third Prissan contains the damned.

*Confirmed non-Paladin

Individual Magic Effects (IME's)
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the more frequent sources of confusion is what people are talking about when we're referring to IME's. Here is the comic's explaination of what they are. And now you know.

Shield of Wonder Effects List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield of Wonder page 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 5
    Shield of Wonder page 6
    Shield of Wonder page 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-09-09 at 11:42 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore

So I wonder if this means that it still possible for Kore to redeem himself for his crimes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

i wouldn't be surprised if the Goblins try to go to Kore for protection from the demons.

At the same time though, i can see them trying to escape him, possibly under the impression that he will just make things worse.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    possibly under the impression that he will just make things worse.
    I mean, this is the Goblins universe. Everything will make things worse, it's just to a matter of degree.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I love this title!
    About the pace being rushed: there have been some situations or scenes which have been resolved much faster than normal, and there have been some panels with much more text than would be OK with a single speech balloon. That I can think of, there are the speech about rock by Forgath, Ears understanding the double twins situation, and Ear's big speech about evil. The "doubles" situation, for example, could have been resolved slower, if the comic had updated faster, and the demon deal might have used some foreshadowing. In general, I get the feeling that Thunt prefers to put more content into single strips and shorten the RL wait between happenings. I think it makes sense, since most of his readers are the aficionados which read day by day, rather than archive bingers. Of course, writing this way would have made, back then, the Brassmoon arch with its dynamic zooms and carefully weighted waits pretty much impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

So anyone got any theories on how/if they are going to prevent the apocalypse?

My bet is that either/both Kore or Complains sacrifice themselves to create the Third Prissian - a new prison.

That, or they find an inter-dimensional portal to chuck the axe in.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    So anyone got any theories on how/if they are going to prevent the apocalypse?

My bet is that either/both Kore or Complains sacrifice themselves to create the Third Prissian - a new prison.

That, or they find an inter-dimensional portal to chuck the axe in.
    I'd bet they use the oblivion sword to make it go awaaaaay . Ideal solution would be: throw it into oblivion hole. Ping, Kore's suddenly a nice guydwarf!
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

8. - Top - End - #8

Speaking of the oblivion sword, I wonder what would happen if it still had its copying abilities, and clashed against the Axe of Prissian - would that create two weapons with demon deities inside it?

Alternatively, if they can undo the Oblivion mode lock, they might be able to make it a new prison axe out of it.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

So "demon" parasites are a concept that is little developed in most tabletop games. I've never heard of one before now. But in Goblins world, they are common?

Wonder what else are commonly known things that are unique there.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Speaking of the oblivion sword, I wonder what would happen if it still had its copying abilities, and clashed against the Axe of Prissian - would that create two weapons with demon deities inside it?

Alternatively, if they can undo the Oblivion mode lock, they might be able to make it a new prison axe out of it.
    don't think that'd happen myself unfortionately, it's be awsome if it did, though from what i've seen so far it's probably unlikely. think the best they could hope for is trying to return the axe to Kore so he can fix it.

Love the Avatar BTW
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2016-08-12 at 01:38 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

don't think that'd happen myself unfortionately, it's be awsome if it did, though from what i've seen so far it's probably unlikely. think the best they could hope for is trying to return the axe to Kore so he can fix it.

Love the Avatar BTW
    Would Kore be able to fix it, though? He's just one of the 10 people that teamed up to make it originally, and his curse could be screwing things up too.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Would Kore be able to fix it, though? He's just one of the 10 people that teamed up to make it originally, and his curse could be screwing things up too.
    Better to have one of the originators of the axe than none when trying to fix an immensely powerful artifact weapon that is attempting to contain a demon god. The problem would be how to keep him from opening fire the instant he sees them? After all, he was willing to kill an itty bitty young dwarf just because it was kidnapped by evil people. How will he be reacting NOW when he sees the axe is clearly breaking which it can "only" do if used for evil? I could see them running back towards kore screaming at the top of their lungs, "KORE! THE AXE IS BREAKING YOU GOTTA STOP IT SOMEHOW!" and hoping he doesnt instantly start trying to slaughter them, as there is clearly something more important to take care of. That might be their best hope. He may also walk around the corner next comic yelling, "GIVE ME THE AXE NOW!!!" And when they toss it to him and wish him luck, might have a chance to escape.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Kore being cursed changes everything, potentially. It might have been that Kore was actually good before he was cursed. Not the "good" he is now but good good. Like Big Ears is. If the curse is lifted would he then be ok?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He may also walk around the corner next comic yelling, "GIVE ME THE AXE NOW!!!" And when they toss it to him and wish him luck, might have a chance to escape.
    i don't know why, but somehow this gives me the mental image of Kore somehow going full on bro-mode, dropping everything in favour of dealing with the demon, potentually even instigating an alliance with the goblins to do so.

now under no circumstances do i beleive this would EVER happen, it just doesn't seem like something Kore would do. i just like it when enemies team up. and somehow the idea of Kore as a protective big brother amuses me.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

i don't know why, but somehow this gives me the mental image of Kore somehow going full on bro-mode, dropping everything in favour of dealing with the demon, potentually even instigating an alliance with the goblins to do so.

now under no circumstances do i beleive this would EVER happen, it just doesn't seem like something Kore would do. i just like it when enemies team up. and somehow the idea of Kore as a protective big brother amuses me.
    The image I got was more like...
    GAP: KORE THIS AXE IS BREAKING HELP US *throws axe at Kore*
    Kore: *looks at axe* *looks at GAP*
    "You are all evil, so killing you will fix the axe."
    *murder ensues*
    *demon released*
    *end of the world*

16. - Top - End - #16

So is that why potential evil must be destroyed? Because it could one day wield the axe?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Most likely. Kore's probably trying to make the world incapable of hosting evil of any sort, that way the axe wouldn't be able to be opened.

but of course he's so narrow-minded he doesn't realized that destroying all evil is impossible.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Most likely. Kore's probably trying to make the world incapable of hosting evil of any sort, that way the axe wouldn't be able to be opened.

but of course he's so narrow-minded he doesn't realized that destroying all evil is impossible.
    The funny thing is, its only because this is clearly a low magic world that the axe has remained a problem for so long. Find one high level wizard who would rather not have to run the risk of a demon god escaping in his home plane, and within a week it would no longer be an issue. Setup a demiplane with nothing living in it where time flows differently. An hour inside the demiplane is a year in the outside world or more. That way even if just sitting there the axe will break down, we are talking millenia before it can occur. Hell, have a paladin take it out once every century or so and use it to rescue a kitten or whatever, then put the axe back and you could keep it going till the end of time.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #19

Throw it inside the big glowing sword portal with a paladin determined to fail endlessly?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's possible the Kore's curse makes him register everything as evil. That would drive him into a state of mania since he can only detect his murders as evil after checking the seal on the axe.
    Last edited by Chives; 2016-08-14 at 05:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Hello new thread!
    Now, all we need is Kore that arrives and see the GAP in league with one of the demons that cursed him...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Throw it inside the big glowing sword portal with a paladin determined to fail endlessly?
    that would cause a whole lot of new problems though.

Not only would this allow for participants of other worlds to take the axe to their world, potentually not even knowing that it's a prison if they aren't paladins, but this could happen multiple times. This one axe could spread into a hundred different worlds, possibly with axes of their owns, causing twice the trouble if it would ever break.

Plus, if the demon DID escape inside the maze itself, things could get even worse, it could be psimax all over again, the demon might be able to break the maze and make the resets impossible, then it could leave into it's home dimention at full power with no warning, arriving just moments after the pladin entered.

Granted at least one forgath in the maze of many DID bring the axe inside with him, so this could likely already happen as it is.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

After seeing the room with the mirror GAP I really wanted to implement it in the D&D5 game where I am the DM.
    Build a vault and told the adventures that it existed. And the 3rd level of the vault was a room with 5 deamons in it.
    Just had to ask the druid beforehand what he would do if confronted with a bunch of deamons, so I knew if it was the large or the medium monster for him.
    I let them all go first on innisiative and then all the monster them in the same order.
    The wizard was calling dibs on his own (demonified) staff. I might/should have used a counterspell when the wizard did hypnotic patern. But as he used portents to make the guy with the staff with the bloody eye fail his save. So later he accepted that his future self didn't / couldn't cast counterspell. So that was fine. I immidiately had the monk point to the door, as he was the only one to succeed his save, so they were focus firering on him pretty hard. The monk did have the finishing blow knocking himself out. In the second round. But they got him back on his feet when they were their future self.

It was a great room and all had fun. Would recommend others to do the same.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized that the parasite said Ears is holding "the second Prissan". Does that make Kore the "First" Prissan? Or has this demon king been imprisoned one before?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I just realized that the parasite said Ears is holding "the second Prissan". Does that make Kore the "First" Prissan? Or has this demon king been imprisoned one before?
    It's a Demon prince, no? Maybe Kore has a Demon king inside it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Didn't the first one break or failed to work or something like that?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

Hehehe, Complains got tricked by a flea.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Does that make Kore the "First" Prissan?
    He could be. Assuming number one and two are similar, "thousands of lesser demons" sounds like a good description of Kore's face.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

29. - Top - End - #29

The pace is really frustrating.

Anyway, my guess is that Kore is cursed to accomplished good acts to prevent some demons escape. If he gets to consider something "not evil enough" to care about it, the demons would escape.
    How does he come to kill innocents in the end? Herbert's rules sucks.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

30. - Top - End - #30

Bah, I think Minmax had the right idea here. This is a waste of time that serves no purpose other than to let the flea demon do its morale wrecking speech.