New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore

I don't know how he got Phil Lamarr attached to his project; but he is no joke. If he's really a part of this project, this is a BFD. Granted, I would hope Thunt would work a bit more on the comic before becoming a less renowned version of G.R.R. Martin.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    he's also completely finished with the card game for the most part. everything is drawn and statted out, all there really is to do with it is maybe a bit more playtesting and distribution. if anything the number of projects he has to do has gone down.
    Seeing how he isn't working on Goblins, I suppose that's true.

I'm kidding though...mostly.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

I do wonder how an animated series would meet the comic series when it comes to pacing and overlapping, if they are published at the same time.

An animated series would anyway be a group enterprise, and I think that this is the kind of thing Thunt may have needed for a long time, to have other people to share the work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Point taken about the "thousands of years" thing, but still... yeesh.
    I don't. :p

1000 / 50 = 20, so once pr. 20 year, or if you say it's approx. 5000 or maybe 8000 years, it's still once every 100 or 150 years, which is in my opinion very often in the grand perspective of things.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    I don't. :p

1000 / 50 = 20, so once pr. 20 year, or if you say it's approx. 5000 or maybe 8000 years, it's still once every 100 or 150 years, which is in my opinion very often in the grand perspective of things.
    Well .... it is a fantasy world. It should be expected to teeter continually on the very precipice of utter anihilation - every second, of every day, for all eternity - always being saved by heroes in the very last moment. There could be dozens if not hundreds of these scenarios playing out across the globe, every day.

6. - Top - End - #696

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Well .... it is a fantasy world. It should be expected to teeter continually on the very precipice of utter anihilation - every second, of every day, for all eternity - always being saved by heroes in the very last moment. There could be dozens if not hundreds of these scenarios playing out across the globe, every day.
    Seriously, and they say that evil is winning. Pfff.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #697
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Ah of course. How silly of me not to realize. :p

8. - Top - End - #698
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Seriously, and they say that evil is winning. Pfff.
    I honestly always hated that setup for a universe. Where the good guys have to win every time while the bad guys only have to win once. Buffy verse in other words. Every apocalypse will suck the world into hell, bring hell on earth, or unleash monsters beyond mortal ability to fight. When the good guys win, they just win till next month when the newest end of the world problem breaks out. If they ever lose, the world is doomed.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #699
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I honestly always hated that setup for a universe. Where the good guys have to win every time while the bad guys only have to win once. Buffy verse in other words. Every apocalypse will suck the world into hell, bring hell on earth, or unleash monsters beyond mortal ability to fight. When the good guys win, they just win till next month when the newest end of the world problem breaks out. If they ever lose, the world is doomed.
    It's convenient for making lots of drama, but it's really hard on verisimilitude - the good guys vs apocalyptic bad guys record is 43678 to 0? Really? And I'm expected to take this new apocalyptic bad guy seriously, why exactly?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

what would the alternative be though? The appocolypse comes, and then a new appocolypse comes and the evil denizens of the first need to fight against that?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #701

Scale down the typical Big Threat to a more reasonable level, and treat the apocalyptic bad guy as the once-in-ten-thousand-years type of event it semi-realistically should be? Which incidentally means having an apocalyptic threat no more than once in the series, ever, and making a giant season-spanning myth arc, if not a multi-season long one, to build up to it.

Babylon 5 did a good job of it with the Shadow War.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

12. - Top - End - #702

Stopping the master from getting out was a good threat to have. Its not the end of the world if he does. Its just another really powerful vamp out in the world. Buffy verse has lots of them. On the other hand, acathla who will literally suck the world into hell, glory tearing open all dimensions so they blend together, the first evil tearing open the hellmouth and unleashing an army of prehistoric vamps, etc etc etc. All way over the top. A fanfic I read described it like this. "All of existence is like a high rise building. Hell is at the basement, and its constantly trying to climb up a level. Every time it does its one level closer to reaching heaven and we are there stomping on its fingers as it tries to pull itself up." Which is a TERRIBLE universe! It basically is saying eventually, hell WILL win, because there is no mention of taking back levels. Eventually, hell will inch its way up level by level and reach the top.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, now I'm depressed.
    I think I'll go and read something funny instead.
    Although, considering my sense of humour that idea is pretty questionable too...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #704
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

They always got to escalate the threat. Otherwise you get season 6 of Buffy where the big bad is a trio of boys playing with powers they don't understand minimum wage jobs, CPS, and in general being an adult.
    Hello world. . .

15. - Top - End - #705

I'd say it works both way. The prophesied who will bring an end to the reign of the bad guys is also a common trope.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    They always got to escalate the threat. Otherwise you get season 6 of Buffy where the big bad is a trio of boys playing with powers they don't understand minimum wage jobs, CPS, and in general being an adult.
    The alternative isn't much better.
    Take Supernatural. They got the literal Apocalypse in what? Season four or five? And the threats kept getting bigger from there.
    Which isn't really that impressive.
    I mean fine, the new monsters are more dangerous than the last ones, but so what?
    What are they gonna do? Kill everyone twice?

Sure, you have to keep things interesting, but if your only way to do so is „another apocalypse, but worse than last time” it gets silly sooner or later.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-09-06 at 04:07 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

17. - Top - End - #707

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I'd say it works both way. The prophesied who will bring an end to the reign of the bad guys is also a common trope.
    Yeah but that only counts when the bad guy is "take over the world" bad and not "suck the entire dimension into hell where everyone from the fetus whose cells just divided for the first time, to the 125 year old man just about to take his last breath in a nursing home will be eternally tormented with no end no matter what sort of people they were." bad. Or really, any end of the world type of scenario where if the bad guy wins, everyone dies. In the buffy verse they are constantly facing "The world will die and everyone on it will feed the flames of their own eternal torment" style threats. If they win, grats, the next end of the world will happen next year. If they lose, game over man, game over.

18. - Top - End - #708

Yeah but that only counts when the bad guy is "take over the world" bad and not "suck the entire dimension into hell where everyone from the fetus whose cells just divided for the first time, to the 125 year old man just about to take his last breath in a nursing home will be eternally tormented with no end no matter what sort of people they were." bad. Or really, any end of the world type of scenario where if the bad guy wins, everyone dies. In the buffy verse they are constantly facing "The world will die and everyone on it will feed the flames of their own eternal torment" style threats. If they win, grats, the next end of the world will happen next year. If they lose, game over man, game over.
    Were that many villains going to do that in the buffyverse? I only remember Glory being this kind of threat.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

19. - Top - End - #709

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Were that many villains going to do that in the buffyverse? I only remember Glory being this kind of threat.
    From memory, Akathla and I think Dark Willow were also literal end-of-the-world threats. The First Evil is the next runner up - opening the Hellmouth and releasing her army of super-vamps would have been very very bad, but it could still have been fought even without the sudden army of Slayers.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #710

I think most of the "open the hellmouth" type plots, of which they were several, count as end of the world events considering its literally unleashing hell on earth. Those blue demons, the sisterhood of jhe I think they were called, counted.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Take Supernatural. They got the literal Apocalypse in what? Season four or five? And the threats kept getting bigger from there.
    I mean fine, the new monsters are more dangerous than the last ones, but so what?

Sure, you have to keep things interesting, but if your only way to do so is „another apocalypse, but worse than last time” it gets silly sooner or later.
    It was interesting that in the recent season finale that we saw how the world would be like if Mary had never made that deal Azazel and John had stayed dead in 1973 instead of when he was suppose to die in 2006.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

On the topic of evil "winning":

Yes, it kinda sucks when evil only needs to win once. Okay, it sucks a LOT.

But evil doesn't have to plunge the entire realm into hell to "win", always.

Sometimes the creation of a great evil, or the destruction of a great good, can be a big blow to the forces of the just.

The end of the world doesn't always have to be the intentions of the current arc villain.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Stopping the master from getting out was a good threat to have. Its not the end of the world if he does. Its just another really powerful vamp out in the world. Buffy verse has lots of them. On the other hand, acathla who will literally suck the world into hell, glory tearing open all dimensions so they blend together, the first evil tearing open the hellmouth and unleashing an army of prehistoric vamps, etc etc etc. All way over the top. A fanfic I read described it like this. "All of existence is like a high rise building. Hell is at the basement, and its constantly trying to climb up a level. Every time it does its one level closer to reaching heaven and we are there stomping on its fingers as it tries to pull itself up." Which is a TERRIBLE universe! It basically is saying eventually, hell WILL win, because there is no mention of taking back levels. Eventually, hell will inch its way up level by level and reach the top.
    Don't worry if you read the comics after the series, they finally seal all the hellmouths.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post

Supernatural really doesn't do that as often as people think. The Big Apocalypse was in season 5, season 6 was more about Heaven and Hell trying to rebuild their powerbase and deal with new leaders and the fact that everything they had worked towards in the history of ever was now over. The Mother was really just sprinkled in there for a sec, and was more focused on stopping Heaven and Hell from taking Her souls, and to screw with Hunters who have spent millennia killing her children. No world ending.
    Season 7 was the Leviathan, more of a control villain then anything. They would eventually have eaten everything, but they weren't really rushing it. Eventual world ending, but with a timescale of years if not decades for hunters to stop them.
    Season 8 actually had the brothers being proactive, and was focused on their quest to close the gates of Hell, because they were sick of the demons but, without Lucifer, said demons had no chance or interest in world destruction or domination.
    Season 9 dealt with the fallout of season 8 ending in a rulership change in both Heaven and Hell, and general such factiony stuff. Most human deaths that season were Angel and Demon meatsuits as they dealt with the loyalty crisis.
    Season 10 was entirely about the brothers trying to get the Mark off of Dean with no real big bad, the world itself was never in any real danger.
    Season 11 was the first time since season 5 that there was a real threat of imminent world destruction with The Darkness, and I haven't seen season 12 yet, as I am a cheapskate waiting for my local library to get the dvds.

25. - Top - End - #715

When there is a comic update, could someone please post about it? The RSS feed doesn't work since a few months (server error) and I don't visit the goblins site normally.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    When there is a comic update, could someone please post about it? The RSS feed doesn't work since a few months (server error) and I don't visit the goblins site normally.
    I only check the site when I see this thread bumped up. So damn you (and me)!

27. - Top - End - #717

New page.

Not much else to say.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it's green but does not seem to be Junior.
    Last edited by Quild; 2017-09-26 at 12:45 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    I do think that's Junior actually, if you mean the warped guy. Those arms don't look... right.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

hmm..... new page comment.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought it was junior, but it's been a while since I've looked at his art.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2017-09-26 at 03:49 AM.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    hmm..... new page comment.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought it was junior, but it's been a while since I've looked at his art.
    Nah, this is just some unrelated green demon. Probably a tentacle one.