New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Magic item commissions - what to ask for

Let's say a character has a lot of gold in his pocket and wants to use it to buy new gear. How does he know what is out there or what can be made? Would Characters without knowledge arcana or similar skills not know that nifty things like the Horn of Plenty or a Ring of Sustenance exist (both should be readily available in larger cities)? Is this another case of caster superiority or how do you handle that situation?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Magic item commissions - what to ask for

Just ask an item crafter/seller what's available or possible, and that's it - you handle the details OOC with the DM.

In character, the beguiler says: "I want an item that allows me to use my speed on the wing, and a protective cloak - money is no objection".
    Out of character, the player says: "I want a +5 phoenix cloak of resistance".

In character, your BSF says: "I want this one, but bigger".
    Out of character, the player says: "Can I upgrade my +1 collision greatsword to a +1 collision collision collision greatsword?".
    (no, you can't, but that's where the artificer sprouts some techno-babble IC, and the DM offers a suggestion OOC)
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Let's say a character has a lot of gold in his pocket and wants to use it to buy new gear. How does he know what is out there or what can be made? Would Characters without knowledge arcana or similar skills not know that nifty things like the Horn of Plenty or a Ring of Sustenance exist (both should be readily available in larger cities)? Is this another case of caster superiority or how do you handle that situation?
    Good question. I've always found it odd that magic crafting came with a Planar recipe book. I would also like to hear some thoughts on this

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Like with everything, higher tier characters can do it themselves (via Knowledge [Arcana/Religion/Nature]) and everyone else relies on the higher tiers to do it for them.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-08-12 at 06:17 AM.