New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Carrion Crown AP: The Haunting of Harrowstone

While the cat was not very keen about messing with a body long after death, she was pretty sure they knew what they were doing, but one thing was bothering her even more. "Once you’re all done with the good Professor, maybe we should take our discussion somewhere less spooky and er, grave-y? I do recall hearing that someone here owns a tavern? One that involves both laughter and possibly demons?”, she broke out into a half-hearted grin. “If you all wish to figure out how he passed, we still have some of his family and friends.’', Umana nodded at the others, “And I’m sure Petros kept some sort of journal. Smart guys like that usually do.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This takes place place after you are done examining the body; if any of you have more you want to do, no problem.

Once the body of Professor Lorrimor has been inspected and laid to rest, the funeral party begins to disperse, offering Kendra commiserations for her loss, and asking if there is anything they can do. A few of them approach you as well, before departing to get out of the cold.

Show
    Will put what they all say here, but feel free to engage any of them in further conversation if you like. This way anyone can talk to any of them if you want, and we don't need to do it all in a particular order.

Kendra Lorrimor
    "Thank you once more for coming to see father off, for your kind eulogies, and for defending him from those ruffians. It's good to know that his courage and nobility live on in his friends. Please come to the house in one hour, there's the reading of the will, and I'll be laying out a meal for us all. And of course, you are welcome to stay, since you've traveled so far."

Zokar Elkarid
    Zokar offers everyone a firm handshake.
    "I can see why Petros liked all of you; he was a scrapper at heart, and would never hesitate to stand up to a bully. It does my heart good to see a craven like Gibbs sent packing. Before you leave town, come to the Laughing Demon, for a round of drinks on the house. We'll raise a glass to our lost friend. But I must hurry back, the dinner rush will start soon."

Jominda Fallenbridge
    Surprisingly, it is Jominda who has the most to say to you all, despite having been practically silent throughout the proceedings.
    "You were so brave to stand up to them, but I wish you hadn't. Petros was a dear friend, and I know he wouldn't want anyone endangering themselves unnecessarily."
    She begins fumbling for something in her bag.
    "I regret that I didn't see that coming, or I might have been able to help. Not in the fight itself, goodness no, I get queasy at the sight of blood, couldn't even approach until Father Grimburrow healed everyone. But it might have gone easier for you if I had foreseen this. I knew something unpleasant was to occur, but I thought it probably meant the weather was just going to get worse. And funerals aren't known for being cheerful events in any case. Where is it...?"
    She looks at Daron.
    "You possess The Sight as well, don't you? I can tell. It's both a gift and a responsibility. Alas, sometimes I spend so much time focused on the future that I neglect the present, and I have forgotten my crystal. By any chance do you have any fortune telling equipment on your person? Yarrow stalks, a bag of knucklebones, perhaps a Harrow deck? A glimpse at the future will help protect you the next time you find yourselves in a scrape, and it's the least I can do in memory of poor Petros."
    Last edited by Starscream; 2016-08-20 at 02:50 AM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When it's Daron's turn to speak at the burial, he explains that the Professor helped him find his way, and also his ancestry.

Later, when Jominda addresses him, he smiles at her and responds "I do have a touch of the Sight but nowhere near to the level that my ancestors had it, yet. I certainly didn't foresee this tragedy either."

He pulls out his deck of fancy, wooden fortune-teller’s cards. They are painted and carved to create a bit of a three dimensional effect, and inlaid with a few gold highlights.

"It's no Harrow deck, but these cards have served me well. If you will read my fortune Jominda then I will return the favor for you."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Norda speaks of the Professor's dedication to knowledge and to helping others.

After the funeral, she tells Kendra, "Of course I'll be there, and thank you."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Jominda Fallenbridge
    "The fortune-tellers cards will do nicely. The can be used as the equivalent of a Harrow deck in a pinch, though as there are only 48 cards instead of 54, a few of the major arcana are missing."
    She accepts the cards, and shuffles them while muttering an incantation, then fans the deck out and offers them to you.
    "Take whichever card cals out to you, and let us see what fate may hold."

Spoiler: Gameplay
    Show
    Anyone who wants a Harrow card, please roll 1d48. An explanation for how this works is in the Player's Guide for this AP, but the long and short of it is that they can sort of be spent like Hero Points, offering a one-time boon like a +8 to a d20 roll, or a single use of Smite Evil. The exact use depends on the card drawn, and I'll be sure to post your results in case anyone doesn't have access to the Guide. You'll get one card per book in the AP, and can save them as long as you want.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

6. - Top - End - #66

Norda looks at the cards. Pausing to see whether Angradd guides her to any of the cards in particular, she stretches out a hand and takes one at random.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d48)[11]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dimitri

Dimitri is unsure about all of this. He had no experience with it, but these were people called by the professor. After hesitating he reaches out an takes a card.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    (1d48)[5]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Curious, Daron tries to figure out what Jominda's incantation was.

Closing his eyes, he tries to pick whichever card feels right to him.

ooc: Spellcraft (1d20+8)[10], Harrow (1d48)[23]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nadyacordially shakes hands with Zokar "I'll gladly take on that offer! But we might still be around, at least until we find more about Petros' death."

She takes a card on with no deliberation, and inmediately flips it over.

(1d48)[38]

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Right, cards.", she watched as the others snatched up their Harrow cards. "If we're going to be working together to solve this mystery.", Umana was ready for her turn, and proceeded to take a card at random, "I'd like to know a little more about you guys. Know your talents and such. Not sure I'd feel right leaving here and going back home without knowing what really happened to the Professor."

Spoiler: GAMEPLAY
    Show
    (1d48)[46]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dimitri
    "I'd like to know a little more about you guys. Know your talents and such. Not sure I'd feel right leaving here and going back home without knowing what really happened to the Professor."
    Dimitri nods and fighting against his normal reluctance to speak with much of anyone opens up.
    "I am Dimitri and was a ... friend of the professor. I ... am the child of a human and a vampire and as such tend to be shunned at best. I have devoted myself to protecting people from the undead. I tend to live a solitary life and am good at survival in the wilds."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Jominda Fallenbridge
    "Dimitri, you have drawn The Big Sky, which displays the moment slaves aquire their freedom. This signifies a momentous change, but it can be either a good or bad one; castoff shackles can be replaced with worse ones."
    "Norda, your card is The Dance, which advises one to think carefully about their place in the universe; as in a dance the participants must abide by the rules lest it fall into chaos. The loss of a crucial element can lead to disaster."
    "Nadya has the Tangled Briar, which indicates that a person from the past will influence the current situation. One who has been terribly wronged in some way. Interesting, to say the least, in light of what has just happened."
    "Umana has the Wanderer, who is wise to collect that which others have discarded. Be on the lookout, for aid may come from an unexpected source, and it can take a perceptive mind to see potential where others do not."
    "And Daron, you have drawn The Liar, which signifies the negative consequences of infatuation, and can mean a love which doomed the participants. Passion can keep us going in the darkest of moments, but it can also cloud our thinking and cause terrible mistakes."

Show

Here are the crunchy effects of your cards.

Spoiler: Norda: The Dance; Keys, LG
    Show

Keys (Dex): You can spend a keys card to take your turn immediately. Treat this as a readied action, moving your initiative to just before the currently acting creature. You may only take a move or a standard action on this turn.

Lawful Good: You may smite evil, as the paladin ability, gaining the benefits until the start of your next turn. If you have levels in paladin greater than half your total Hit Dice, use your paladin level to determine bonus damage; otherwise, your bonus damage equals half your character level, rounded down (minimum 1).

Spoiler: Dimitri: The Big Sky; Hammers CG
    Show

Hammers (Str): If used before a roll is made, a hammers card grants you a +8 luck bonus on any one d20 roll. If used after a roll is made, this bonus is reduced to +4. You can also use this card to grant a bonus to another character, as long as you are in the same location and your character can reasonably affect the outcome of the roll (such as by distracting a monster, shouting words of encouragement, or otherwise aiding another with the check). Cards of the suit of hammers spent to aid another character grant only half the listed bonus (+4 before the roll, +2 after the roll).

Chaotic Good: You receive a +4 circumstance bonus on one CMB check to avoid or escape a grapple or on one Escape Artist check.

Spoiler: Daron: The Liar; Crowns CE
    Show

Crowns (Cha): You may spend a crown card to reroll any one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse.

Chaotic Evil: You may instantly force any creature to reroll a saving throw it has just made, taking the result of the second roll, even if doing so means the check will fail.

Spoiler: Nadya: The Tangled Briar; Shields LE
    Show

Shields (Con): You can spend a shields card on your turn to gain an additional standard or move action this turn.

Lawful Evil: You can give another creature a command as per the spell command. This command can affect undead that are normally immune to mind-affecting effects, but not other creatures that are immune to mind affecting effects. The DC of this command is equal to 10 + your character level.

Spoiler: Umana: The Wanderer; Books NG
    Show

Books (Int): You can spend a books card to recall a spell you have already cast or to gain another use of a special ability that is otherwise limited. This should only be used on spells and abilities possessed by your character that recharge on a daily basis.

Neutral Good: You channel positive energy that cures a creature touched of an amount of damage equal to 1d6 × your character level. This effect damages undead creatures as spells like cure light wounds.

Oh, and 10 will not identify the spell Jominda used, although Daron can tell it's clearly some form of divination magic.

Let me know when you are all ready to leave the Restlands, and whether you are heading to the will reading or somewhere else.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2016-08-21 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Very interesting, Jominda. I will keep the warning in mind. I offered to read your own fortune in return; shall I do so?

Dimitri, if the Professor was your friend, that is good enough for me. You seem to be a good man.

As for myself, I am a fortune teller, and trying to build up my magical abilities. I can shoot magical missiles, as you very nearly saw today though it didn't quite come to that"
    Daron says.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    "Very interesting, Jominda. I will keep the warning in mind. I offered to read your own fortune in return; shall I do so?

Jominda Fallenbridge
    "Yes, I would be very happy to have you take a glimpse at my future."
    Last edited by Starscream; 2016-08-21 at 06:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

15. - Top - End - #75

"Oh yes, names and greetings, so so sorry I didn't get to that before. My name's Nadya, follower of Desna and old friend of Petros- well, Professor Lorrimor back when he still was a student at Lepidstadt." At any show of confusion or disbelief she exhibits a cheeky smile. "What can I say? I'm older than I look."
    Last edited by Madmal; 2016-08-21 at 07:53 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dimitri

Dimitri nods, unsure how to respond. Casting off shackles?
    When he hears Nadya comment on her age he wonders how old she is.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Great, Jocinda. Thing is, the way I am used to telling fortunes requires more time and a table would help. I do a nine card spread, and it helps to consult my divination manual. The whole process takes, uh, about ten minutes. Perhaps we can do it at the late Professor's house? Or if you prefer, simply take a card now as I hold them, and I will attempt to interpret its meaning for you" Daron says.
    Last edited by kinem; 2016-08-21 at 09:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Oh.", Umana glanced at her card before turning her attention to Dimitri. Her brain quickly shouted not to ask any stupid vampire questions. Of course, the young archer rarely listened, "Can you...", she tried very best not to offend. "Do vampire stuff, like turn into a bat, or even a wolf? And do you need to drink blood?"

She briefly returned her attention back to her picked card as Jominda spoke of what it meant. This was supposed to help later.

A few others spoke up. There was another fortune teller who could cast magic. Nadya mentioned she met the good professor when he was younger. This struck the cat as rather odd. She did not look like an elf. Was she another vampire? She shook her head, trying her best not to think of such things. Thankfully, Daron offered a suggestion. "Yes, anywhere is better than this graveyard. We have an hour to kil..er. use up.", she corrected herself, "And then it's time for the will and dinner.", While she did not consider herself a greedy person, Umana silently wondered what the good professor willed her? And there was also the meal. After the training camp's cook passed away last summer, there had not been anyone of skill to take over his position, so the food usually was terrible. A proper, home cooked meal sounded as rewarding as a bag of gold.

"Almost forgot.", the archer added, "I'm Ummagumma Blackmoon, or just Umana. I've spent most of my life in an training base near Nirmathas." She wanted to make sure this was short, "My grandfather's old adventuring group retired there and now train young people like me into become mighty Warriors Of Gorum.", she proudly stated. "And as you probably know by now, I'm a cat-folk."
    Last edited by Tacobob; 2016-08-21 at 09:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"Great, Jocinda. Thing is, the way I am used to telling fortunes requires more time and a table would help. I do a nine card spread, and it helps to consult my divination manual. The whole process takes, uh, about ten minutes. Perhaps we can do it at the late Professor's house? Or if you prefer, simply take a card now as I hold them, and I will attempt to interpret its meaning for you" Daron says.

Jominda Fallenbridge
    "For now it might be simplest if I just took a card, since I don't want to make you late for the reading of the will. Maybe at a later date we can do it properly. I'll take...that one."

Show

(1d48)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

ooc: What card is it?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: What card is it?
    Show
    The Courtesan - Crowns, Chaotic Neutral
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dimitri

Quote Originally Posted by Tacobob View Post
    "Oh.", Umana glanced at her card before turning her attention to Dimitri. Her brain quickly shouted not to ask any stupid vampire questions. Of course, the young archer rarely listened, "Can you...", she tried very best not to offend. "Do vampire stuff, like turn into a bat, or even a wolf? And do you need to drink blood?"
    Dimitri looked towards Umana with not a trace of offence. He was gratified that someone asked rather than just assumed.
    "I do not need to drink blood nor have I ever. I can not transform myself. I can communicate with some of the creatures of the night and I can sometimes invoke a feeling of dread in some."

23. - Top - End - #83

"I'm Norda Wraithhelm, holy warrior of Angradd's church. I'm surprised that vampires are able to reproduce other than by turning people into vampires, but protecting people from the undead is a worthy goal. I didn't know the professor well, but I know he was a good man," Norda says.

Show
    When she leaves, she'll go to the will reading.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When Jominda draws a card, Daron attempts to discern its meaning. "The Courtesan. Pleasant on the surface, but with hidden costs. A warning, I think, that some sort of temptation may be ahead. Perhaps a choice in which an alternative may not be as it appears.

Well. On to the reading of the will now I suppose. I could use a change of scenery."

25. - Top - End - #85

Nadya agrees. "It would definately be, let's move on back to...where was it?"

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Jominda thanks Daron for the fortune, and vows to keep an eye our for temptation.

Show
    Sounds like you guys are ready for the will, so let's move there. Let me know if there's anything else you want to do first.

An hour later, you gather at the home of the late Professor, a modest but well kept house in which every room is lined with shelves full of books. Kendra greets you at the door, says that dinner will be served shortly, and offers everyone a drink while you wait for Vashian Heathmount to arrive. The closest thing Ravengro has to a solicitor, the councilman was named as the executor of Petros' estate. He arrives shortly, declines drink as he is on official business, and addresses you all.

Vashian Hearthmount
    "Now, before we get down to business, you had some questions about the place in which Lorrirmor met his end. It's an unpleasant chapter in our town's history, so few are willing to discuss it, but if it will grant you some closure then I don't see why I can't recount what details I remember."
    "The structure up on that hill is Harrowstone, and without it our little town would not exist. The worst criminals in Ustalav were gathered there to live out the rest of their lives, short as those may have been as most of them had a noose in their futures. Ravengro grew up in the shadow of the prison, to service and house the workers and guards."
    "In 4661, 56 years ago now, the building was ravaged by a great fire. Much of the underground eastern wing was consumed, though the stone structure above is mostly intact. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, but it may have been better than the alternative; the prisoners had rioted and taken control of at least part of the building when it occurred. Whether it was an accident, or a last ditch attempt by the guards to keep their charges from escaping, I cannot say. But every prisoner in the place died in the blaze. So did almost two dozen guards, and the warden, a man called Hawkran. And so did the warden's wife, though it is not known why she was in the building at the time."
    "As you can imagine following such a tragedy, the rumors of hauntings started almost immediately. People seeing lights, dim figures, ghostly flames rise from the building, that sort of thing. I'm not fool enough to discount the possibility, but I can safely say that we've never had any trouble from the old heap. It sits up there, empty and neglected, but any evil still within leaves us well alone, and I'd fear it more if it still contained criminals of flesh and blood. Still, the rumors persist, and I can see why a man like Lorrimor would want to take a look. Shame it ended badly for him, but only to be expected when an older man goes poking around a crumbling ruin."
    "Does that satisfy your curiosity? If so, we can move on with the business of the day."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

27. - Top - End - #87

"That sounds like quite a mystery. I wonder what happened that day. Hm. Perhaps..." But she doesn't finish her sentence, letting the others speak instead.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dimitri

Dimitri nods a few times as the tale of Harrowstone is told. He would not be surprised if there were undead there. Especially as the professor went there. He had difficulty accepting that the professor died simply to an accident as described, but anything was possible.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Does it satisfy my curiosity? Yes, if by 'satisfy' you mean 'pique'. But I take it that you've told us what you know, Vashian, so let's move on now" Daron says.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Big prision in the middle of a riot gets burned by the inside? Definately a troubling sight. But do go on luv." Nadya ponders, as she nurses her drink.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show