New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 3.5 DOT spells

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default 3.5 DOT spells

I want to try to make use of coercive spell on my Beguiler, and the easiest way to do that seems to be damage over time spells. I was wondering if there are any easily attainable multi round damage spells that are not capped by a certain health threshold (such as power word pain). My purpose here is not to do dmg good damage, just some consistent dmg every turn so I can reap the benefits of the at sweet -2 will save.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 DOT spells

Away from my books, but acid arrow, heat metal, and chill metal come to mind. There's also a druid spell out there that creates spikes on the ground that hurt people that move over them. Evard's black tentacles might qualify as a DoT. I don't know how many of these are accessible to you though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

As I understand it you are looking for a DoT spell that can be cast by a Beguiler (Beguiler spell list or a Sorcerer/Wizard spell of the Enchantment or Illusion school obtainable through Advanced Learning) so that the non-stacking -2 Will Save penalty applied by the Coercive Spell feat will effectively keep resetting its 3 round timer every round that it does damage.

Well, the Beguiler's list is fairly light on Damage spells of any type, let alone DoT spells. However, there are two potential candidates:
    • Inevitable Defeat (3rd) lasts 1 round per level and gives a Will save to continue non-lethal damage each round after the first.
    • Legion if Sentinels (3rd) may count if you allow that the damage caused by the illusionary sentinels triggers Coercive Spell's effect. It's 1 round per level and they only make attacks of opportunity.

I'm thinking at this point you need to look into the Enchantment and Illusion spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard lists if you want to find something decent to work with.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Not DoT, but would casting spells from the Raiment of the Four count for the feat?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I have no idea what raiment of the four is tbt.
    [edit: i didn't know that those items were called that. I don't believe it would because I'd have to apply metamagic to an items spell cast, even if it takes my spell slot, I am not the true caster I'm just a trigger and a battery.]

Also, shadow conjuration and evocation are both valid, and I am a shadow craft mage so I get abjuration as well. How does that improve the list
    Last edited by Falcii; 2016-08-14 at 11:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Thunderhead is the classic low level "do non-zero damage each round" spell that comes to mind.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Spells like spiritual weapon and mordenkainen's sword are arguably damage over time, though they aren't automatic damage each round.
    Last edited by Crake; 2016-08-14 at 11:06 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

If you can finagle it, Heartfire (SpC. Bard 2/Druid 2) gets you what you're looking for. Easiest way is probably a custom runestaff that you utilize with UMD. It's rounds/level, and inflicts a small amount of fire damage every rounds. A fortitude save at the beginning of the spell halves the already pitiful damage, but minimum is 1 barring fire resistance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You specifically need spells? I came in to say that Truenamers have a surprisingly large number of utterances that do DOT— there's the entire Reversed Word of Nurturing line (especially Extended), there's Reversed Energy Negation, there's Agitate Metal, and there's Energy Vortex. When you consider how few utterances they get overall, that's actually a relatively large portion of them. That said, utterances are very much not spells, so they won't help a Beguiler looking to use Coercive Spell, and therefore this post likely contains no information that is useful to you.

I forget (and I don't feel like digging out the MIC right now), can you use metamagic on a spell you cast through a runestaff? That might be a good way of getting access to DOT spells without messing around with Recaster or other list-expanding classes.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~