Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

Glad to see this project's still alive. I've been watching for a while but haven't posted--I like the theme and the general level of realism that's going into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    E: And then on top of that I need to find of create a system that actually works for what I want. So far, I've found no extant system that really hits all the buttons and avoids all the no-go elements.
    I can't remember the exact systems that you've had suggested or all of the things you're trying to avoid, but have you looked at WEG's d6 system? Skill based system, no scaling HP (the wound system is pretty quick and reasonably realistic--at least more so than HP), and generic enough that you can build to the setting. Special abilities give the option for particular PC power options but their availability can be tailored, and the magic system is generic enough you can build in the restrictions you want. And best part is the core books are free at the above link.

Apologies if I'm just repeating a plug for something you've already considered or has obvious elements you're trying to avoid, but I didn't see mention of it when I re-skimmed the thread and it didn't seem too far off the mark for what you're looking for.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Spoiler: Some Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    It's fantasy. Nearly by definition it contains things that cannot exist. Complaining that this gets the science wrong is like shooting fish in an aquarium; at once easy, likely to upset aquarium fanciers, and utterly oblivious to the reason most people like aquariums in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Descriptive: You ate that baby, so you're Evil.
    Prescriptive: You're Evil so you have to eat babies.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Part of the problem I'm having is finding research sources that aren't pop-history pablum, and yet aren't written by academics for academics who seem at least as interested in learning to in turn write for other academics. I'm serious about the subject matter, and deeply curious, but I am not and never will be an academic.

Askhistorians has a list of recommendations for books ancient Near Eastern history, many of them seem intended for a broader audience. I hope this is helpful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistoria...ient_near_east
    Even the wise cannot see all ends. -J.R.R. Tolkien
    Don't destroy it! That alter to Lamashtu, Demon Queen and Mother of Monsters, is historically significant!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosigander View Post
    Askhistorians has a list of recommendations for books ancient Near Eastern history, many of them seem intended for a broader audience. I hope this is helpful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistoria...ient_near_east
    Thank you. I've ordered a few of their recommendations that looked right, and frankly it's a bit of a slog. Part of the problem is that a lot of what I want to know is swamped... the history is buried in historiography, the beliefs and practice of the religions are buried in comparative religion jargon, the daily lives and food and family structures are buried in "we found the following potsherds in locations X, Y, and F..."
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

Planet Mercenary RPG Discussion

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Glad to see this project's still alive. I've been watching for a while but haven't posted--I like the theme and the general level of realism that's going into this.

I can't remember the exact systems that you've had suggested or all of the things you're trying to avoid, but have you looked at WEG's d6 system? Skill based system, no scaling HP (the wound system is pretty quick and reasonably realistic--at least more so than HP), and generic enough that you can build to the setting. Special abilities give the option for particular PC power options but their availability can be tailored, and the magic system is generic enough you can build in the restrictions you want. And best part is the core books are free at the above link.

Apologies if I'm just repeating a plug for something you've already considered or has obvious elements you're trying to avoid, but I didn't see mention of it when I re-skimmed the thread and it didn't seem too far off the mark for what you're looking for.
    I loved WEG d6 Star Wars, but I'm leery of big die pool resolution rolls for this project, and I'm not sure how I'd fit in some aspects of the combat that feel important to the setting (active use of shields in combat, etc) and the magic.

Project is not going to die, even if it ends up quiet sometimes because of life interfering.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-01-12 at 11:05 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

System aside:

What I'm roughly looking for is something with a fixed number of dice for resolution for a known curve, something like 3d6, or 2d12, depending on what curve works best. Instead of DCs/TNs going up and down, I think I like something resembling HERO's fixed skills (rolls are "9 or less" or "12 or less" or whatever) better, with modifiers applied when necessary. Using HERO directly would be hard because of the Speed/Segments/Phases system (not fluid enough), and the compressed range of stats for non-superhuman characters. So the scale for "normal to heroic" characters would need to be stretched, and I'd prefer something like an "action point" system (so something like each "turn" a character has X number of action points, and different actions with different weapons or otherwise take different numbers of APs from that pool, until everyone is out for the "turn").

In general, dissociated mechanics need not apply. "1 per day" or "once between rests" abilities are right out. No vancian spellcasting. No classes. No levels. No high-scaling hit points that represent this, that, all of it, or none of it, depending on what's being "explained" at that moment.

In general, narrative rules need not apply. A little metacurrency to smooth out odd occurrences and insulate against strange failures isn't a bad thing, but something FFG's Star Wars is a total non-starter.

Resolution should be attempt/task based, NOT conflict based. This doesn't mean that all rolls are succeed/fail, it can also be "how long did it take you" or "how well did you do", but each resolution (each roll) needs to result from and resolve the outcome of an attempted action or task, not from a "conflict". What does that mean? If the character is trying to open a safe because he wants some documents that he thinks are inside it... the documents are either in the safe, or they're not -- I don't care how well the player rolled if the documents were never there to begin with. The character is trying to be quiet to sneak past the guards or to con the guards, then his opponent on those rolls would be the guards... if there's a wall to climb, then the wall is the "opponent" -- that his larger "conflict" is with "the lord of the fortress" is meaningless to that task.

I want combat to be, overall, active vs active. If one character attacks with a sword, and the other tries to block the attack with their shield, both should roll.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

Sample of the research...

Medimnos -- ancient measure of dry volume, typically noted as being 50 to 60 liters equivalent. Estimated as 40kg of wheat or 31kg of barley. There were several smaller units expressed generally as fractions of a medimnos

So, to make it a bit easier to mentally picture, I went with the following:

Medimnos 60 liters
    Tritaios
    1/3 medimnos 20 liters
    Hekteus
    1/6 medimnos 10 liters
    Hemiektos
    1/12 medimnos 5 liters
    Choiniv
    1/48 medimnos 1.25 liters
    Kotyle
    1/240 medimnos 0.25 liters

Silphium -- Medicinal plant. Depending on the preparation, it can be used to treat respiratory maladies, eye troubles, and other ailments (disorders and diseases of the "wet surface tissues"). Also a critical component in contraceptive concoctions. Silphium is sensitive to soil and weather conditions, and grows poorly in mass cultivation, and there are constant worries about the demand wiping the plant out.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-01-31 at 11:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Working on one of the older colonies, and as usual getting any kind of solid population estimates for IRL colonies to inform my numbers is proving an exercise in frustration.

The place is called Anabasis, upriver and thus inland, to the north of most of the cities already discussed.

Colony was founded by colonists and soldiers from Atavgea. The founder was a general (risen from common origins) who was exiled while on campaign because the aristocrats of the city considered his ascendance an affront to the power of their bloodlines. They consulted an Oracle at the time and the response was "A warrior will die and be buried in a far away foreign land". The fact that the general's tomb was built at the center of the city he founded with those troops who stayed loyal to him fulfilled the prophecy, though not in the way the aristocrats "back home" were thinking.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-02-15 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

I have not abandoned this, just working slowly.

The last two weeks have featured multiple 12-hour work days, including a Saturday, a visit from my parents, a friend in need of some help, and a kitchen fire that was minor but easily could have been total disaster if my cat hadn't freaked out about the smoke and come tearing into the office at the far end of my place, meowing bloody murder and running in circles.