New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Indosira: A Bold Beginning

Dacin

Dacin shakes his head in shock, "Worm, you never cease to amaze me..."

The page moved around to the "front" of the gate as best he could determine, then looked at it a little closer. He considered the pounding on the door and his own failures at finding another way out, then shrugs, "It's gotta be better than here. Gods be with me!!"

With that, Dacin hurls himself through the portal before he, or anyone else, can think of reasons to talk him out of it.
    Last edited by jng2058; 2007-07-16 at 07:13 PM.
    Shaolin Busboy of the Ninja Waitress Fan Club
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause if you're going to be a part of a meaningless organization, you might as well make it the MOST meaningless one available!! And anyway, if anime has taught me anything, its that female ninjas are hot!!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Octavius

Still holding his weight against the door tenses up as the dwarves slam into the stone once more. "As much as we'd all like to stare at the pretty lights, I think it's best if we get a move on. We can't hold this door all day you know." Just then the dwarves slam home again, while the stone wall helps Octavius feels his endurance is staggering. Still no one else has moved to the mysterious doorway. "Well what are you all waiting for? Follow that half-elf!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shalana

"Wish me luck!"

Shalana says it with a smile as she jumps through the portal.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

As Dacin contacts the rippling pool of color he seems to freeze, suspended in time for a moment. Then the colors vibrate around him violently, seemingly drawn towards him, and a sound like boiling grease fills the chamber. The half-elf seems to grow thinner as his clothing and skin vanish, coils of muscle and the network of vessels exposed for a moment before they too fade away. A thin stream of gray smoke begins to flow from the top of the portal. Organs follow, leaving only bones, and then that too disappears. The smoke seeps upwards, crawling over the ceiling in search of an escape.

Shalana's contact with the portal has the same result, layers of her body stripped away until nothing is left. The smoke covers the ceiling like a layer of oil, bringing with it a smell like burning leather.

In the five or so seconds it takes for each body to be peeled away the light concentrates enough on the center that the ring becomes visible again. Worm manages to catch a few more words of the inscription each time. The phrasing is written in a variation of Infernal that leaves some of the words indescipherable.

By the closing of this barrier...shall remain securely locked away...energy that endangers our world...by decree of the Six Who Remain, this is so.

Dacin and Shalana

Upon entering the portal the feeling can best be described as agony. Cold, like diving into a river of ice, followed by a heat like the hottest flame. You feel as though your body is being pulled in a dozen different directions at once. Then your senses are overwhelmed by a thousand knives cutting away at you, piece by piece. It is so sudden and so intense that you welcome the nothingness that follows as you lose touch with your body and your thoughts fade away.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-07-17 at 11:47 AM.
    "Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chants out between two worlds
    fire...walk with me." -- Twin Peaks

"I have emerged from the place of
    spells and fairies!" -- Bender, 'Futurama'

5. - Top - End - #65

Planetar

Raite

Raite views the transformation of Dacin and Shalana as a growing expression of shock and horror transforms his face.

Magic is supposed to be good and wonderful. This isn't right. Did Something go wrong?

Seeking out a source of comfort amidst events that have gone far beyond his simple understanding, the boy looks to Cross. A trembling "Sir?" the only utterance he is capable of after witnessing the ghastly display.
    Last edited by ajw79; 2007-07-17 at 11:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

The girl seems simultaneously disgusted and floored by the rending of those who enter the portal, and she goes a bit green, forcing her eyes away from the grotesque sight to read the now-visible inscription around the ring.

"Oh no," she murmurs, sticking her thumb in the corner of her mouth and gnawing on her nail. "No, no, no - this is bad, this is real bad."
    What a fun, sexy time for you!

7. - Top - End - #67

Cross gives a shake of his head. "I have no idea what that means." He steps up to the door and puts his shoulder to it, urging Octavius aside. "We'll switch off on holding the door. Let one rest while two do the work." The door takes another blow, opening an inch before slamming closed again.

Theron puts a hand on Worm's shoulder and looks down at her. "Do you know for sure what's happened to them?" As he speaks a rat crawls out of the apprentice's robe and perches itself on her shoulder, squeaking excitedly. The prince takes a step back, his eyes narrowing at the curious occurance.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-07-17 at 02:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Octavius

Panic runs through his bones as he watches the scene unfold, he can't help but feel somewhat responsible for what just happened, not for Dacin, that fool jumped in on his own accord, but Shalana, she seemed innocent enough. "What is it Worm? What's happened!?" He yells from across the room, as he steps away from the door.
    Last edited by will.h; 2007-07-17 at 02:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Okay, well, um -" Worm glances over at the prince's hand, stomach knotting at the touch, and when he backs away she looks at the rat, giving him a little bop on the nose with the tip of her finger.

"Hush up, Darien!" she snaps, oblivious to the potential confusion of such a remark, before returning to her earlier train of thought.

"Uh, ok. See, what happened to them looked pretty terrible, but that's not what's bad. You see, there's all kinds of different magic - making stuff appear, changing stuff into other stuff and so on - and the magic that's here doesn't feel destructive."

"Which means that there's a chance this is, in fact, some kind of sending magic, and they've been taken someplace else - piece by piece - and reassembled, and even though that's sort of vile, it is technically possible, assuming that this is a doorway in the sense that what is an exit here is an entrance someplace else."

And not just some kind of prison I opened that held something that 'endangers the world' which I may have inadvertantly unleashed.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Octavius

Moves next to Worm, peering into the portal. After listening he asks "So your saying it's safe?" He pauses, waiting for an answer. "Should the rest of us follow then? Or are we safer here with the rampaging dwarves?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Prince Darien

The rat. She named her rat after me.
    In the middle of the situation, Darien barely restrains himself from bursting out into laughter.
    Instead he scoops a pebble up, and lobs it at the portal.

"Seems to me that's exactly what she's saying. I wonder how long it takes to learn to do that?"
    And with that, the younger prince takes a step--two--braces himself, and leaps through the portal.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm saying it's likely - " Worm begins, but is cut off by the prince, who then dives toward the portal. Turning her head away to avoid watching the still-stomach churning display, she finishes, "-that it won't kill you."

The girl runs both her hands through her mop of hair, looking rather nervous. "There's only one way to be sure, though, and I guess I oughta put my coin where my mouth is, so to speak." The girl takes a couple steps toward the portal, lifting the rat from her shoulder and clutching it to her chest.

"Don't be scared. I'm right here, yeah?" she says quietly to the creature, though the words seem more for her own benefit. With one last glance at the remaining members of the group, she steps toward the ring, but she misjudges the distance and trips over the edge, tumbling ungracefully into the portal.

13. - Top - End - #73

Planetar

Raite

Raite turns to Cross with a look of horror on his face. "Sir! The Prince! No Vigilants have entered the portal. He may be in danger on the other side. Shouldn't one of us go after him?"

Torn between his fear of what he witnessed when the others entered the portal and his duty to the royal family, Raite waits for Cross to give the order to follow the young prince. All the time wondering if his legs will obey when he attempts to enter the portal.

14. - Top - End - #74

The bodies decay, or more aptly disintegrate, one after another and by the time the apprentice makes her exit the smoke is thick enough to make those still present cough and adds a hoarseness to their words. Theron chuckles despite the discomfort, shooting a glance to Cross.

"Darien the rat. How poetic?" At that he turns to the Velaxian and makes a sweeping motion towards the portal. With his other hand he returns his weapon to its sheath and draws in a deep breath, preparing himself for the trip. The door bucks visibly and cracks begin to appear in the center. Whatever the dwarves are doing, it's working remarkably well. Cross digs his heels down against the floor and braces his back against the weakening door.

"That boy will be the death of me, Raite. Get moving, I'll follow Theron through." He gasps breaths between the words, each movement bringing a grimace of pain to his lips. His straw colored hair is slick with sweat, his face pale, and in the stress of this moment he seems a hundred years old.

15. - Top - End - #75

Planetar

Raite

"Yes sir," Raite responds. He closes his eyes briefly, steadying his shaken nerves. Then joins the others in whatever fate they have met with a running dive into the center of the portal.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Octavius

Defeated, he sighs and moves towards the portal. He finds the papers in his pocket to make sure he still has them. Satisfied he closes his eyes and jumps into the portal.

17. - Top - End - #77

Agony, then nothing. The pain was so intense that time lost all meaning, and the emptiness that followed gave no indication of its passage. Your memories fall away as you drift into the void. Friends fade away, then family, and finally your own identity vanishes from your mind. You are, for one terrifying moment, nothing.

Cold. That is the first thing you feel when your senses return. It is a struggle to open your eyes but you manage. It is dark, the lanterns seeming to not have made it through the trip intact, with only a soft colored light spilling out from behind you as your eyes adjust. You feel stone beneath you and can hear the sounds of breathing. As each of you struggles to regain control of your own body you feel waves of disorientation flow through you. It feels like minutes pass before you are able to even gather the strength to speak, and it is longer still before you can move.

The room is a natural cavern, quite different from the carved stone you last saw. Somewhere in the distance water is dripping, a rythmic sound that helps you focus. Behind you is a portal much like the one you entered. It is not free-standing but is set into the rock itself, as though it were carved into the cave wall. It's borders are stone, not metal, and the colors are deeper and more jarring to your senses. You can make out the shapes of the others around you but only Dacin can pick out detail enough to know exactly who he is looking at each time. Cross' voice, hoarse and strained, cuts through the near silence.

"Everyone sound off."

(I need DC 15 Fort saves from the lot of you. Success leaves you sickened, failure leaves you nauseated until I note otherwise.)
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-07-18 at 01:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Shalana http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1157080

"Ohhh, I'm alive, but I don't feel well. That was.... that was just horrible."

Shalana coughed, she did her best to slowly stand up and try and see anything. She checked to see what she still had on herself, making sure everything was intact.
    Last edited by Valairn; 2007-07-18 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Changed text to reflect character belief better

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude Save - (1d20)[7]

The agony, cold, and sickness swept aside Dacin's usual (public) respect for authority, and he groaned as he replied to Cross, "You bastards aren't done with me yet! It'll take...urrrrghh.....m-more than THAT to kill Dacin, it will!!"

He stumbled to his feet and looked carefully at the piles of people around him, counting off his surviving allies as he saw them to see if anyone was missing and taking care to look for any dwarves on the ground who may have been brave or foolish enough to follow them through.
    Shaolin Busboy of the Ninja Waitress Fan Club
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause if you're going to be a part of a meaningless organization, you might as well make it the MOST meaningless one available!! And anyway, if anime has taught me anything, its that female ninjas are hot!!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm here," comes Worm's voice from the shadows, shaking and a little scared. Arms trembling, she pushes herself up into a crouch, holding out a hand with the palm facing up.

"Bailuminatas," she murmurs, and a quartet of lights - pink, green, blue and yellow - appear in front of her, circling and crossing each other. With a flick of her wrists, she sends them whipping around the cavern, illuminating those who came through the portal in turn and scouring the walls and ceiling of the area, seeking a way out - after all, there was still a chance the dwarves were on their tail.
    Last edited by slapdash; 2007-07-18 at 02:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Planetar

Raite

"Here sir," Raite replies in a weak voice as nausea threatens to overwhelm him. Struggling to his feet, Raite draws his sword and attempts to locate the Princes in the gloom, fighting through the waves of dizziness in an effort to make sure they are safe from any threats in this unknown place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort: (1d20+3)[5]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort save: 1d20+3=15. Made it! Drinking alkymahol from a young age makes you TOUGH.

Breathing raggedly and clutching his stomach, Prince Darien slowly picks himself up off the floor, blinking in an attempt to bring some stability to his vision.
    "I'm here," he groans when Cross speaks up. "Preneur's balls, that was not my idea of a good time. Are we safe or can they come through? Is there any way to close it?"

The younger prince undoes some of the numerous cords lacing up his doublet, and pulls a thin knife from his boot; he ties the leather cord around the dagger's hilt and crosspiece, and tosses the dagger back through the portal--then attempts to pull it back through.

23. - Top - End - #83

The voices echo slightly in the chamber, each of you speaking softer than you'd expect. Perhaps it was due to the illness, or the uncertainty of the situation. Cross rises as the lights appear, following them with his eyes before turning to Dacin. "Relax, boy. No sense wasting energy we might need later."

The glowing spheres of light flit about the room, trailing one another and illuminating the area much like small torches. Theron ducks beneath them as they pass, his discomfort evident as he presses his back to a wall and crosses his arms over his stomach. "I'm here." His eyes narrow on Darien as the boy speaks but that remains the extent of his movements.

The blue sphere passes through Raite as it continues its circuit around the room. The room is no larger than the one you just left, and a hole about four feet in diameter sits in the wall furthest from you. It seems to lead upwards at a slight angle. Two broken lanterns sit in pools of oil near the portal. A pile of sticks and small branches occupies one corner of the room as well.

Two eyes glow in the passing light and The Rat darts across the room to burrow under the hem of Worm's robe. Darien's attempt at testing the portal has underwhelming results. The dagger passes into the light and hits the stone behind it, sliding down and back out onto the floor at the portal's base.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-07-19 at 12:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

Prince Darien

Darien meets his pious brother's gaze with a roll of his eyes, then turns back to the portal.
    "Sod. Might mean that it doesn't work anymore, might mean it was one way and they can still come after us, might mean only people can get through... no tellin' what."
    As he speaks, the prince tucks his knife back into his boot and does up his shirt-lace again. Then he circles the room, eyeing the lights curiously, and comes up behind Worm; his hand comes up to rest on her shoulder.
    "So--what're the odds that they can come after us? We need to move on if they're likely to."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-07-19 at 02:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worm smiles a bit woozily at the rat, and when the Prince puts a hand on her shoulder, she shrugs it off and scratches at the back of her neck. There were an awful lot of people touching her today, probably more than in her entire life if you didn't count scrapping, and it was becoming rather disconcerting.

"If I had to wager, I'd say you can't send stuff that's not people - or at least alive," she glances down at the squirming rodent hiding under her robe.

"Depends on how superstitious they are. Not everyday you see something like that, right? Figure they'll send at least one once they realize there's no way out - if they're serious 'bout getting their hands on your highnesses, at least - but you saw what it looks like when you go through. They might think twice about following, might even think you're dead." She pauses, deep in thought for a moment, before shrugging.

"Course, if you were dead, pretty foolish of all of us to follow suit, I guess."

An anxious glance at Theron, and then around at the other distraught youths, and Worm moves to the corner of the cavern, scooping up a couple of the branches and moving to where the oil has spilled. Crouching, she takes the hem of her voluminous robe and yanks, tearing a long strip and wrapping it around one of the branches, which she then rolls in the oil.

"These won't last long," she says of the swirling balls of color. "so's we'll probably need a more natural method to light our way, yeah? I dun got anything to light 'em with, though." She holds out the branch, waiting for someone to take it.
    Last edited by slapdash; 2007-07-20 at 08:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Shalana

"I don't have anything to help you with." Shalana said it before kneeling down again, as a wave of sickness cam back up to her again.

She was tired now, the sick feeling, the running, the danger, it was beginning to overwhelm her. It wasn't quite over yet though.

"The sooner we get out of here and can get away, the sooner we can rest. So lets go as soon as possible."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Octavius

Sits still with his back against the wall. When Worm asks for help lighting the torches all he can offer is a quick shrug. He uses this downtime to reflect on everything that had happened over the last couple days. He thought back to the battle outside his room, just after the invasion had started. He watched in his mind as his father had fiercy fought off the dwarves that had slipped through the Auldarian line. He remembered the big toothy grin of the dwarf that had been coming for himself, but his father had sacrificed his own defense to cut the dwarf down, leaving himself wide open to attack. His father had never been a soldier, but he fought marverlously! Unfortunately there were just too many of them. He knew what he was doing when he attacked that dwarf. He laid down his own life to keep his son alive. Not a common trait among Valexians, especially Valexian senators.

My father was a good man. he thought

and before he even realized it, a tear rolled down his cheek. Normally he'd try and hide it, he'd wipe it away before anyone else noticed. But this time he just let it fall. He tilted his head to the side and let it slide all the way down to his chin, and from there he just watched as it splashed into the dirt. And just how it had barely made a mark in the dirt so did he feel. So insignificant. A very small piece of a very large world. So easily his father had been taken away from him. And no seemed to even notice or care.

With a deep sigh he stood to his feet and finally wiped his eyes. Nothing left now but to keep moving. He looked at Cross "Shall we be going then?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Cross takes one of the torches and draws his sword with the other hand, kneeling to wedge it between the ground and his chest and letting the flat of the blade rest on his knee. He retrieves the flint he'd used to light the lanterns and strikes it against the blade several times, finally sparking enough to catch the oil-soaked end of the torch alight. He then sets it to two more of the sticks, giving the group three lit torches as the Dancing Lights blink out. There are materials enough for three more torches left nearby. As he hands off the torches, one to Raite and one to Worm, he sheathes his weapon and shakes his head.

"Everyone just rest a moment, none of us seem to be feeling our best and we don't know what this cave will hold. I don't see why any of the Nasjtorans passing through there would arrive in better shape than us, and an unconscious dwarf is easily dealt with." He pulls a waterskin from his belt and takes several swallows from it before holding it out to Theron. He leaves it capped and offers it to the half-elf on his right.

The Vigilant held the torch out and studied the room, peering up into the hole that provided the only exit. The torches provide enough light to reveal a few additional things in the area. The floor is spotted with broken pottery, shards scattered across the floor in a spread concentrated near the hole in the wall.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is that each of you has changed. The changes are minor, a shift in eye or hair color or a thickening of the jawline. Theron's skin is darker by a shade while Cross' eyes are closer set and framed by shallower cheekbones. Subtle enough that only people who are familiar with you would be able to notice the difference, but pronounced enough to be a concern.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking the torch from Cross, Worm looks first around the room with mild interest, but her jaw drops when she comes back around to examine her companions, completely unaware of the change in her own appearance.

The girl's formerly ale-brown eyes had taken on the startling color and facet of padparadscha, the edges of the iris fading out to an orange-gold border. Her hair, still chopped and messy, has been overtaken by blonde cutting through it, the remaining auburn disappearing into the mass of gold, one lock stubbornly poking in front of her ear and hanging down her cheek. The gap in her teeth is as present as ever, and she doesn't seem any less scrawny, but her mouth seems larger and more exaggerated.

"It musta had trouble puttin' us all back together," she marvels, seeming surprised but not displeased. "I ain't grown a beak or nothing, right?"

Ducking down, she casts about for Darien - the rat, of course, not the prince - to see if he has changed as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by slapdash; 2007-07-20 at 09:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Shalana

It was when Shalana noticed the slight changes in her companions that she noticed her own, she was taller. By an inch at least. No wonder she felt sick, the blasted magic of the portal had stretched her out! Her hair color had also taken on a strange hue, before it had simply been a fiery red, it was still red, but there was purple in it, the color of her hair had become subdued by it, neither of the changes particularly bothered her, after all, she was still breathing.

She sighed. Kneeling down she attempted to meditate and calm her body with breathing techniques.