New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Revenge of the true master arcane(COUNTERING FAMOUS OPTIMIZED CHARACTERS BUILDS)

Quote Originally Posted by ragevillain View Post
    Analyse Dweomer(I know every contingency spell on you) + Daley Twin Greater Arcane Fusion
    +Twin Greater Arcane Fusion
    Slot 7: Sanctum Greater Celerity
    Slor 4: Twin Celerity

6 Standard Action + 2 move speed:

Its only a Ice Assassin.

Man, you really had a great tactic. Congratulations, I thought that no one would challenge me.
    But I honestly think Vecna-blooded and mind blank was enough.

Woah ho, hold on here kids, did I just get him to admit defeat? I think I did! Internet Cookies and Burgers for all!
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

Beholder

Default Re: Revenge of the true master arcane(COUNTERING FAMOUS OPTIMIZED CHARACTERS BUILDS)

Man, you will not necessarily die. Imprisonment , Greater Betow Curse . I can cast Supernatural Trap the Soul.
    And if you die , your soul will be trapped . Effect of Death Giant.(MM3)

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    Woah ho, hold on here kids, did I just get him to admit defeat? I think I did! Internet Cookies and Burgers for all!
    This character can not win the Master of Shadow in direct combat . It is inefficient.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 11:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sadly I'm pretty sure that only looks like he was admitting defeat due to poor communication and was actually intended as more gloating.

Edit: See?
    Last edited by ryu; 2016-08-18 at 11:36 PM.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

4. - Top - End - #244

SamuraiGuy

Man, you will not necessarily die. Imprisonment , Greater Betow Curse . I can cast Supernatural Trap the Soul.
    And if you die , your soul will be trapped . Effect of Death Giant.(MM3)

This character can not win the Master of Shadow in direct combat . It is inefficient.
    Sorry friend, too late, I have your admittance recorded, but like I said, thanks for playing. I asked specifically about your tactics, you only started adding caveats once I had you locked down. Better luck next time!

Edit: Why should I bother fighting you in direct combat? You never agreed to rules regarding an arena of any kind. Tsk, the Mackerel in Shallows is such a poor loser.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2016-08-18 at 11:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry friend, too late, I have your admittance recorded, but like I said, thanks for playing. I asked specifically about your tactics, you only started adding caveats once I had you locked down. Better luck next time!
    Also I had response on you at the end of last page. If you have an answer to that I'm fully prepared to take this rabbit hole even deeper.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Sadly I'm pretty sure that only looks like he was admitting defeat due to poor communication and was actually intended as more gloating.

Edit: See?
    I have not been defeated, in fact never been near it. But rather I liked his tactics,
    Mind Blank
    Psion Mind Blank
    Vecna ​​-Blooded
    Are all counters . And this character can not win a duel directly, it is inefficient.

7. - Top - End - #247

SamuraiGuy

Also I had response on you at the end of last page. If you have an answer to that I'm fully prepared to take this rabbit hole even deeper.
    Yes, I did actually, see what do you do when it comes to the text in Hypercognition regarding Echoes of Knowledge in the Astral plane. And, follow up question, What Happens if I start making consecutive hops backwards in time, and use Hypercognition, before said history fades?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Colossus in the Playground

I have not been defeated, in fact never been near it. But rather I liked his tactics,
    Mind Blank
    Psion Mind Blank
    Vecna ​​-Blooded
    Are all counters . And this character can not win a duel directly, it is inefficient.
    Except none of those counters actually work.

And in addition, it's more efficient to just wipe you from existence. Actually fighting directly is inefficient, if anything.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, I did actually, see what do you do when it comes to the text in Hypercognition regarding Echoes of Knowledge in the Astral plane. And, follow up question, What Happens if I start making consecutive hops backwards in time, and use Hypercognition, before said history fades?
    Problem is that if the history is stricken it's stricken all the way back. Causality is kinda hilarious like that. You aren't just wiping books and minds now. You're wiping all knowledge that ever existed of you from history. By necessity it's a temporal concept.

10. - Top - End - #250

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Ah I didn't see this! But that's the thing. It's worth 0 copper until someone tries to use ice assassin or the like. Then it becomes demanded, and therefore the price matters. It's Schrodinger's fingernails. They may not be willing to pay it, but it becomes a demanded item with a set price. There are many items in d&d that aren't worth the price, and no one would want them because there are other things that are considered better, but the price remains the price even if no one buys them.

As I mentioned just a moment ago, the key is for the item to be both worthless and priceless at the same time, so I feel that transforming into something like an angel would actually hurt the survivability because it makes it affordable.
    Sorry LTwerewolf, didn't meant to miss this question.

You're totally correct in that it applies a value to the item in question, but it at least stops someone pulling out your toenail from their newly purchased spell component pouch. Collapsing the Schrodinger's fingernail wave stops only half the abuse.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Except none of those counters actually work.

And in addition, it's more efficient to just wipe you from existence. Actually fighting directly is inefficient, if anything.
    There is no other choice, the enemie have to fight directly.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 11:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Colossus in the Playground

Why is there no other choice? They are quite capable of finding out who your mother was, going back in time, and taking her out. (Hell, they don't even need to kill her-they just need to make sure that she and your dad don't marry or have sex or anything.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

SamuraiGuy

Actually I don't have to. That's why i have already won. Heck, I just figured out a great way to do it nonviolently too! I go back in time and cast Greater Bestow Curse on the Mackerel of Shallows mother, so she can't conceive children.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2016-08-18 at 11:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Beholder

MindBlank
    Psion, Mind Blank
    Vecna-Blooded
    You have no other choice.
    I will find you: Metafaculty
    I will know everything about you: Supernatural Ice Assassin of yourself +Mindrape
    Shadow Weave Magic. No dead magic
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 11:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

SamuraiGuy

Problem is that if the history is stricken it's stricken all the way back. Causality is kinda hilarious like that. You aren't just wiping books and minds now. You're wiping all knowledge that ever existed of you from history. By necessity it's a temporal concept.
    Alright, this is where I start reaching into somewhat third party material, There's a set of spells from the Dragonlance Campaign specifically to do with viewing time, or "viewing the river", if I were to use such spells to look back across the years, and witness events, adding it to my current memory, does it no-longer exist?

16. - Top - End - #256

SamuraiGuy

MindBlank
    Psion, Mind Blank
    Vecna-Blooded
    I will know everything about you: Supernatural Ice Assassin of yourself +Mindrape
    I asked this before, but how are you casting Metafaculty?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

MindBlank
    Psion, Mind Blank
    Vecna-Blooded
    Again, what do you do when they are a 15th level Wizard who has cast Mindblank? Go cry in the corner because your 20th level cheese creature can't even find any 15th level Wizard in the game?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Actually I don't have to. That's why i have already won. Heck, I just figured out a great way to do it nonviolently too! I go back in time and cast Greater Bestow Curse on the Mackerel of Shallows mother, so she can't conceive children.
    Let's see how you deal with this. A near infinite army of ice assassins invisibly defending each and every one of my ancestors throughout the past all the way to the beginning of time itself. You can't kill my ancestors because I got to them first.

Edit: I believe they would still delete with each cycling. Alternatively the information doesn't exist to be found.
    Last edited by ryu; 2016-08-18 at 11:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

Beholder

I asked this before, but how are you casting Metafaculty?
    Mental Pinnacle(60 ML) + Metafaculty item
    I will find you and know everything about you.

Detail, you do not have access to level 9 spells and also has no foresight . So it's easy to target.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 11:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Mental Pinnacle(60 ML) + Metafaculty item
    I will find you and know everything about you.
    * Unless you cast Mindblank, in which case the Mackrel of Shadows is totally worthless and can never do anything.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

Beholder

Metafaculty think you anywhere.

22. - Top - End - #262

ElfWarriorGuy

Let's see how you deal with this. A near infinite army of ice assassins invisibly defending each and every one of my ancestors throughout the past all the way to the beginning of time itself. You can't kill my ancestors because I got to them first.

Edit: I believe they would still delete with each cycling. Alternatively the information doesn't exist to be found.
    I think this right here just means whoever starts first wins in a temporal game of rocket tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think this right here just means whoever starts first wins in a temporal game of rocket tag.
    Technically it's a matter of whoever manages to do that BEFORE angering anyone who can teleport through time.

24. - Top - End - #264

SamuraiGuy

Okay, so this is where it gets interesting. I go back in time observing your various direct ancestors, finding one with weak will. I use a Trap the Soul spell on an object in their home along with a Sympathy spell keyed to them while they are out. and craft a contingent Teleport Object to go off once their soul is trapped, and I head home knowing their family line is ended.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Metafaculty think you anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Power Metafaculty
    Metafaculty
    Clairsentience
    Quote Originally Posted by The rules on Clarisentience
    For the purpose of psionics-magic transparency, clairsentience powers are equivalent to powers of the divination school (thus, creatures immune to divination spells are also immune to clairsentience powers).
    Do I need to quote Mindblank?

Your entire character concept is based on an Item of a 9th level power (that you can't manifest without this item) and the power doesn't even do what you think it does...

Well, you set a new low in pathetic attempts at optimization, I give you that.

I mean, unlike your character, One Step Two's actually can manifest 9th level Psion powers, so he can like, actually use Metafaculty himself. If you think Metafaculty beats Mindblank, then why isn't everyone else Metafacultying you?
    Last edited by Beheld; 2016-08-19 at 12:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, so this is where it gets interesting. I go back in time observing your various direct ancestors, finding one with weak will. I use a Trap the Soul spell on an object in their home along with a Sympathy spell keyed to them while they are out. and craft a contingent Teleport Object to go off once their soul is trapped, and I head home knowing their family line is ended.
    Ah but see that is just a method of attacking the ancestor same as any other. Either dispel the object before it can be used or destroy and replace with a copy during a time-stop. You're not killing grandpa billy ryu the third esquire that easily.

27. - Top - End - #267

ElfWarriorGuy

Technically it's a matter of whoever manages to do that BEFORE angering anyone who can teleport through time.
    Still leaves ancestors relatively vulnerable to indirect attacks though, so without warning them in any way you would need to find a way to make them entirely invulnerable as well. Problem is that they would eventually figure out their nigh immortality though, which would change history and cause a butterfly effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Still leaves ancestors relatively vulnerable to indirect attacks though, so without warning them in any way you would need to find a way to make them entirely invulnerable as well. Problem is that they would eventually figure out their nigh immortality though, which would change history and cause a butterfly effect.
    No. They're only protected from deaths that didn't originally occur.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually gonna throw my weight behind hypercognition not working here. The power indicates that it makes deductions based on scraps of information. While being vecna-blooded doesn't ward against clairsentience powers, a vecna-blooded character has had all information about themselves erased from reality by the god of secrets. They're shouldn't be anything to go on if the character has been careful since they got close to Vecna.

Also, hypercognition, as rules text, states that it gives "stray bits of information about a person." Unfortunately the exact functioning of the power is very up in the air due to what it does, but I don't think anyone sane would allow you to compile "stay bits of information" into a complete picture of all the persons strength, weaknesses, and other abilities, regardless of how many times you manifest the power.

Also, mind blank does block clairsentience powers. The text of metafaculty indicates that such is the case. You don't need to target someone with mind blank for it to not work either. Anytime a divination spell or effect is used to gather information about the subject of a mind blank, it fails.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    I'm actually gonna throw my weight behind hypercognition not working here. The power indicates that it makes deductions based on scraps of information. While being vecna-blooded doesn't ward against clairsentience powers, a vecna-blooded character has had all information about themselves erased from reality by the god of secrets. They're shouldn't be anything to go on if the character has been careful since they got close to Vecna.

Also, hypercognition, as rules text, states that it gives "stray bits of information about a person." Unfortunately the exact functioning of the power is very up in the air due to what it does, but I don't think anyone sane would allow you to compile "stay bits of information" into a complete picture of all the persons strength, weaknesses, and other abilities, regardless of how many times you manifest the power.

Also, mind blank does block clairsentience powers. The text of metafaculty indicates that such is the case. You don't need to target someone with mind blank for it to not work either. Anytime a divination spell or effect is used to gather information about the subject of a mind blank, it fails.
    But wouldn't that mean we're not having a good old-fashioned time war? Every time-traveler must experience at least one.