New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Silly Childhood Misconceptions on Fantasy Elements?

I've always thought it very clear how vampires feed, and it's neither fangs-as-straws nor rip-and-tear.

I always imagined it as the vampire using their fangs to poke two neat holes in the victim (because that's what you see in pictures and films - victims with two round puncture marks on their neck) rather than tearing at them like some kind of wild animal, but they don't then suck through the fangs. Instead, after making the holes the vampire withdraws the fangs from the holes and plants their lips around the holes to suck blood through them as if trying to give their victim a hickey.

I thought that's how everyone "knew" vampires worked.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    I originally thought Vampires were like sabre-toothed humans that like ripped out your throat. I'm not entirely certain why, probably because I saw some scary art or a Halloween costume covered with blood or something. Later, after reading some token vampire stuff, it occurred to me that the straw-fangs made a lot more sense. Of course, now that I've actually looked it up and demonstrated a passing interest in vampire lore, I realize that both are normal interpretations.
    Vampires ripping out throats is a Hammer Horror thing frpm when Christopher Lee wore the cape
    Last edited by Pauly; 2018-11-30 at 05:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    As a kid, I never got why they were so scary. The notion that they were undead eluded me because I only saw the cartoony, entirely-wrapped-up varieties. So why people are afraid of a guy all bandaged up and unable to bend his arms properly or move faster than a stiff-legged walk was puzzling.
    I got introtuced to mummies by Boris Karloff. For me they’ve always been scary.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    So the Jedi aren't actually channeling the Light Side and instead are actually channeling the Neutral Side? The Lawful Side?
    There is as many views on the Force as writers and directors have made novels and movies and TV series and roleplaying game...

The version I like most (a portrayed in some novels and sourcebooks from before the Sequel Trilogy or the Clone Wars' Mortis shenanigans) goes like this (I'm copypasting a post from the Jedi Council Forums that explains it very well):

"The Light and Dark side aren't polar opposites, they aren't two halves of the Force that balance each other.

The Force is absolute and all-encompassing; it unites and balances everything in the Universe, and it has its own path, its own way, that dictates fate and the natural order of things...

Some people can sense the Force and use it to influence the world around them to some extent, gently pulling strings to make the natural forces behave the way they want.

So, what makes the Dark Side dark?

I think the Dark Side isn't a intrinsic part of the Force itself, I think it is just a practice of Force users.

Force users can use strong negative emotions to get more power, but it is dangerous because it is addictive, and you are rewiring you own brain to constantly feel strong negative emotions, which is both bad for you and dangerous to those around you, hence, a "dark" practice...

Also, a powerful enough Dark Sider can push the Force to behave in ways it shouldn't; they are breaking the balance, disturbing the natural order. As Darth Plagueis said, they are imposing their will to the Force, breaking it and turning it into a beast of burden...And in doing so, they are creating waves that affect the people around them and subverting the way things should be....

The Jedi accept that the Force has a natural state, a balance, and submit to it. They accept it and follow its guidance; Sith reject natural order and pretend to impose their will on it...."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    There is as many views on the Force as writers and directors have made novels and movies and TV series and roleplaying game...
    The version I like most...goes like this...

The Jedi accept that the Force has a natural state, a balance, and submit to it. They accept it and follow its guidance; Sith reject natural order and pretend to impose their will on it...."
    That makes sense. The Jedi's greatest flaw is that they are too passive, too willing to let little things slide, concerned with maintaining the current "balance" over looking for ways to make the galaxy better. On the other hand, the Sith seek to actively control the galaxy and impose their will on it.
    Here's hoping the next generation of Force-users manages to find a new path to take. The Last Jedi makes it pretty clear that they're acknowledging the flaws in the Jedi Order and planning to build something better, which I think is a pretty good message. "Don't try to build an ideal state from the past; search for a brand new ideal."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.