New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Childhood Misconceptions on Fantasy Elements?

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Seriously. Your average vampire on that show kills a human (unless it is a main character) with about 5 seconds of feeding through two tiny holes. They must have industrial strength vacuums hooked up to those fangs!
    Well, I'm not sure how much this changes the equation, but as I understand it, a human only has to lose about a third of their blood to be almost guaranteed to die without medical treatment, and if you puncture the right part of the neck a human will lose most of their blood in minutes without any additional help. But I'm by no means an expert.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how much this changes the equation, but as I understand it, a human only has to lose about a third of their blood to be almost guaranteed to die without medical treatment, and if you puncture the right part of the neck a human will lose most of their blood in minutes without any additional help. But I'm by no means an expert.
    Absolutely. The key being in minutes, not seconds.

I'm sure they do it that way because they don't want to waste minutes of screentime showing a feeding, but the result is that they show the victims dying in seconds (incidentally, with no obvious signs of the vampire swallowing).So high strength vacuum that provides the suction for them...
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #93

Not a misconception, but i always wondered how Midas went to the bathroom...
    The same way Lear went to the bathroom. No self respecting king shakes his own willy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    The same way Lear went to the bathroom. No self respecting king shakes his own willy.
    Wait, does that mean he got a gold statue of a really reluctant-looking servant every time he needed to pee?

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    Wait, does that mean he got a gold statue of a really reluctant-looking servant every time he needed to pee?
    Well, I'd imagine that he occasionally got a gold statue of an inappropriately excited servant when he needed to pee, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #96

Absolutely. The key being in minutes, not seconds.

I'm sure they do it that way because they don't want to waste minutes of screentime showing a feeding, but the result is that they show the victims dying in seconds (incidentally, with no obvious signs of the vampire swallowing).So high strength vacuum that provides the suction for them...
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The pirates wearing eye patches for night vision is plausible, except they wear the eye patch during the day as well. So it's either injury or a fashion statement.
    I meant for when they go below deck, where it's supposed to be dark.
    Yeah, they'd swap the patch between eyes depending on if they were above or below deck, so they never had to adjust to the change in light conditions.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Honestly, it didn't occur to me that the "multi-pronged humanoid mosquito" thing WASN'T how it worked until today. If nothing else, it accounts for how there's never any sign of spillage, which I think would be inevitable with the puncture-then-suck-and-swallow-like-a-living-human-would method.

Plus I figure that vampires don't metabolize blood the way we do food, so the digestive tract is essentially vestigial.
    I think we all got this from the two little holes that would be left in vampire shows/movies. If the movies showed that the person had their neck ripped open like they were attacked by a large dog or big cat, I am pretty sure it would have come across a lot less... romantic of a notion.

My contribution: Color itself was invented in the 1950s and before then everything and everyone was black and white.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    My contribution: Color itself was invented in the 1950s and before then everything and everyone was black and white.
    Nope, the nazis had colour propaganda, and there are earlier colour photographs using triple exposures through colour filters. Yeah, you were joking.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Well, I'd imagine that he occasionally got a gold statue of an inappropriately excited servant when he needed to pee, but yeah.
    Or maybe, some sort of golden tongs would be in order?
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Don't the legends just say Midas wore gloves? Couldn't a servant just wear a pair of gloves for the... task at hand? I mean, far less humorous a visual but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, they'd swap the patch between eyes depending on if they were above or below deck, so they never had to adjust to the change in light conditions.
    And promptly trip and fall down the stairs, or bump into things, because of their lack of depth perception. Hence the stories of them being always drunk.

Wait - you were talking about one of your misconceptions weren't you ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SethoMarkus View Post
    Don't the legends just say Midas wore gloves?
    How do you put on gloves that turn rigid when you touch them?

In Ovid's Metamorphosis, he didn't have the curse for long. After Midas repented and prayed for help, Dionysus relented and told him how to rid himself of it.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    And promptly trip and fall down the stairs, or bump into things, because of their lack of depth perception. Hence the stories of them being always drunk.
    I can walk up and down stairs/navigate my way around obstacles in broad daylight/play sports/fence/tie knots/fire guns/etc perfectly fine without depth perception, and if I can do it I'm sure pirates can do it also. (Well, I'm a little hindered doing fencing without depth perception, but I could overcome that with more practice, I'm sure.)
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    How do you put on gloves that turn rigid when you touch them?

In Ovid's Metamorphosis, he didn't have the curse for long. After Midas repented and prayed for help, Dionysus relented and told him how to rid himself of it.
    Woven gloves; the individual threads become gold, which is still quite malleable.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

16. - Top - End - #106

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    That does make a certain amount of sense from a physics standpoint; invisible retinas shouldn't be able to see light that passes literally through them, so 'invisible' creatures should be reflecting a color we can't pick up, so eyes that are also thusly shifted seeing shades of light normally invisible.
    If an invisible creature reflected only wavelengths of light we couldn't perceive, it would appear to be completely black, not transparent.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Woven gloves; the individual threads become gold, which is still quite malleable.
    Thank you, that was along the lines of what I was thinking. As well as gold being soft enough as to be pliable when thin. It was a nice counter, though! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Midas's curse always confused me. Does his hand only turn the piece of something that he touches to gold? Clearly not, he ended up with people-statues without touching every inch of the people in question. What about liquids? Can they turn to gold? What happens if he touches something really big, like a tree? A house? The earth? Could Midas have caused a Cat's Cradle-esque apocalypse by turning the earth and the sea to gold?

19. - Top - End - #109

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Rusvul View Post
    Midas's curse always confused me. Does his hand only turn the piece of something that he touches to gold? Clearly not, he ended up with people-statues without touching every inch of the people in question. What about liquids? Can they turn to gold? What happens if he touches something really big, like a tree? A house? The earth? Could Midas have caused a Cat's Cradle-esque apocalypse by turning the earth and the sea to gold?
    There's a comic about that.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect that leather gloves were far more common then. It might take some experimentation to come up with the idea of woven gloves.

21. - Top - End - #111

Just simplify the idea of what a woven glove does here - make an extremely thin glove (even if it's really fragile material not suited to surviving as a glove, it'll be gold in a moment) and then wear a more proper glove over it so it has some shielding and doesn't look too strange.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I was a teenager at the time, but I was 100 % certain that the kender from Dragonlance looked like fauns or satyrs. As in Pan of the Greek mythology - goat's feet, a little tail, small horns on the head. Possibly reed flutes too. All this from the name "Burrfoot" - he'd have to have fur-covered legs, otherwise he wouldn't have burrs latching onto them, right?

It's not a misconception, exactly, but the way I imagined Ents in LotR they were massive, thick-bodied and wide. Then the movies made them like thin stick-men. The clash between my mental image and the movie's visuals was so strong I still dislike the movies purely because of that. I know it's illogical to go to that extent, but...
    Last edited by endoperez; 2016-08-24 at 06:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    I was a teenager at the time, but I was 100 % certain that the kender from Dragonlance looked like fauns or satyrs. As in Pan of the Greek mythology - goat's feet, a little tail, small horns on the head. Possibly reed flutes too. All this from the name "Burrfoot" - he'd have to have fur-covered legs, otherwise he wouldn't have burrs latching onto them, right?

It's not a misconception, exactly, but the way I imagined Ents in LotR they were massive, thick-bodied and wide. Then the movies made them like thin stick-men. The clash between my mental image and the movie's visuals was so strong I still dislike the movies purely because of that. I know it's illogical to go to that extent, but...
    Tolkien said that when an ent isn't moving, you cannot distinguish him from a tree. So they can't be any thicker than trees are.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2016-08-24 at 09:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

So they can't be any thicker than trees are.
    Depending on species of tree, they can become quite thick...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

So they can't be any thinker than trees are.
    I disagree. Trees can't think at all, and Ents blatantly can. This is the first time I've heard "think" used as an adjective, though...
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I disagree. Trees can't think at all, and Ents blatantly can. This is the first time I've heard "think" used as an adjective, though...
    I think he meant thicker. At least that's how I read it.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    I think he meant thicker. At least that's how I read it.
    I know. I was poking fun at the typo.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2016-08-24 at 09:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Depending on species of tree, they can become quite thick...
    According to Tolkien, we're talking about beech, oak, chestnut, ash, fir, birch, rowan, and linden. These aren't baobabs or sequoias.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Tolkien said that when an ent isn't moving, you cannot distinguish him from a tree.
    Do you recall where this came up? Particularly the context?
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Do you recall where this came up? Particularly the context?
    For one thing, when Merry and Pippin first wander into Fangorn Forest they walk right past Treebeard, thinking he is a slightly strange looking tree stump. Can't remember the exact description. Later on, other ents are described as slender, especially the younger ones like Quickbeam.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2016-08-24 at 11:19 AM.