New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default ripping their flesh

Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip - is there any way to use it with bare hands instead of two weapons?

(I'm building an unarmed swordsage vampire)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: ripping their flesh

The maneuver actually only requires that you wield two weapons to activate it, not that you use both weapons to attack. I believe that a weapon and an unarmed strike count as 2 weapons for this going off of text for wolf fang strike.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, there is. It's called abusing loopholes. The boost requires that you wield two different weapons. It does not, however, require that the attacks that benefit from it actually be with more than one weapon. So as long as you have some kind of weapon on you, you can use the maneuver with your unarmed strike and just punch them for rend damage. If you want to go for something completely disarmed that works, having any other natural weapon will suffice. If you want some good flavor synergy, pick up a set of claws and the Beast Strike feat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You can just TWF with unarmed strikes. Just attack with two different body parts: two arms, two legs, heck, even headbutt+turkey slap if you want to get really weird with it.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm... I thought you couldn't duel-wield unarmed strike (as "unarmed strike" is a strike with whichever body part is the most convenient at the moment, so you don't have "two" of it)

... buuut, a vampire would technically have a natural slam attack too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Hmm... I thought you couldn't duel-wield unarmed strike (as "unarmed strike" is a strike with whichever body part is the most convenient at the moment, so you don't have "two" of it)

... buuut, a vampire would technically have a natural slam attack too.
    That's Pathfinder rules. 3.5 rules it a little differently.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    You can just TWF with unarmed strikes. Just attack with two different body parts: two arms, two legs, heck, even headbutt+turkey slap if you want to get really weird with it.
    That's not how that works. All of those are a single weapon, an 'unarmed strike'. Thus, you can't TWF an unarmed strike with itself, because you only have on it. That's like trying to TWF a greatsword with itself by striking with the point, then with the flat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    That's not how that works. All of those are a single weapon, an 'unarmed strike'. Thus, you can't TWF an unarmed strike with itself, because you only have on it. That's like trying to TWF a greatsword with itself by striking with the point, then with the flat.
    Well, CustServ says you can, as does PHB(Unarmed is treated as a manufactured weapon) and nearly every single DM I've met.

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, CustServ says you can, as does PHB(Unarmed is treated as a manufactured weapon) and nearly every single DM I've met.
    I think "dual wielding unarmed strike" is what a monk's flurry is supposed to represent.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    1.Custserv isn't RAW, that's just some dude's ruling.
    2. PHB actually supports that you can't TWF with only your unarmed strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWF
    If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon.
    Now, the 'second' should be enough to seal the deal already. After all, you can't really say 'my unarmed strike' and 'my same unarmed strike' are two different weapons. however, just to add more evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unarmed Strike
    There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed.
    Since you can't have an off-hand attack with an Unarmed Strike, and TWF requires you wield a weapon in your off-hand, the two aren't compatable.
    3. How a previous DM has ruled is even less relevent than Custserv.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Refer to the Kensai prestige class in Complete Warrior; various parts of unarmed strike can be separated from the rest. (i.e. your fists would get the bonuses, but not legs/knees/elbows/headbutts/whatever).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Refer to the Kensai prestige class in Complete Warrior; various parts of unarmed strike can be separated from the rest. (i.e. your fists would get the bonuses, but not legs/knees/elbows/headbutts/whatever).
    I was just about to mention that one.