New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Please help me select a Feat

I'm playing in a Mythic game and have just been granted a bonus Feat (non-mythic).

My Level-6 Sorcerer is focusing on team buffing, enemy hindrance, and crafting. He will do his best to never be making attacks.

He already has Craft Wondrous and Mythic Craft Wondrous. Other Feats are; Heighten Spell, Skill Focus, Magical Aptitude.

I think that other metamagaic will be wasted, but maybe others here know of reasons to pick one up.

The only other thing I can think of is taking another Craft. But I don't know which to take and I don't know if it would even be worth it since He can already spend all his free time crafting.

Thoughts?
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Please help me select a Feat

Well buffing goes really well with extend spell, but you said you're not sure about more metamagic.

If you're gonna go heavily into crafting see if your DM will et you take exceptional artisan from the Eberron campaign sessing, it's 3.5 though so it's iffy.

Carefully consider what mythic featsyou want to take and what mundane feats they required. If you have a lot of spells from many schools you could also consider improved counterspell if your DM likes using a lot of casters.

My number one reccomendation though? Improved initiative. Getting your buff off before your team mates act, and before they get attacked by your foes is always always good.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by DreganHiregard View Post
    Well buffing goes really well with extend spell, but you said you're not sure about more metamagic.

If you're gonna go heavily into crafting see if your DM will et you take exceptional artisan from the Eberron campaign sessing, it's 3.5 though so it's iffy.

Carefully consider what mythic featsyou want to take and what mundane feats they required. If you have a lot of spells from many schools you could also consider improved counterspell if your DM likes using a lot of casters.

My number one reccomendation though? Improved initiative. Getting your buff off before your team mates act, and before they get attacked by your foes is always always good.
    Thank for the suggestions.
    1) Extend for the buffing was my first consideration, but I think there isn't too much bonus between that and just casting the spell twice.
    2) I'm not even going to ask. I personally want only Pathfinder without third party.
    3) I have my feats mapped out for my counterspelling, so I don't need anything that way. Frankly, I think I'm wasting Feats doing it because I'm not expecting many spellcasters, but it is part of my concept.
    4) Improved Initiative is my Bloodline Feat coming up soon, or I'd already have it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Craft Magic Arms and Armor is always a nice plus. Weapons and armor are things you can reliably expect to need to keep upgraded, so doing so half price is good.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barstro View Post
    I think that other metamagaic will be wasted, but maybe others here know of reasons to pick one up.
    If you can easily get MM rods then I'd agree with this, but otherwise no, metamagic is extremely useful - especially for a class that can apply it on the fly.

Actually, if you're allowed to craft in this game then I'd recommend Craft Rod. You can use this to create any MM rod you desire even without the necessary feats (simply take the +5 DC increase for not meeting that prerequisite.) You can then use metamagic on even your highest spells without increasing their slots provided the rod you create is strong enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Not sure if you have a Familiar or not. But a Valet familiar will help with crafting.

You could have a Compsognathus or Greensting Scorpion and that would also get you the +4 init your looking for and help you with creating items.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, posts by Psyren and Lego pretty much sum up my thoughts.

Crafting Rod (I could certainly put the metamagic to use) vs. Craft Weapons (I can see how this is useful) vs. Craft Ring (There are a few high cost ones we could use).
    Due to Mythic, I can craft any of those at 2,000 gp worth per day. That is a poor opportunity cost when I can craft Wondrous at 8,000 gp per day with even a conservative reading of the rules.
    Taking an actual Feat would allow me to craft 6,000 gp per day (worth it, I suppose).

Crafting Weapons helps my team (but I think only two of them would need it, and probably not all that much).
    Crafting Rods pretty much only helps me (which helps my team, but still)
    Crafting Rings probably helps us all, but I think it's the weakest of those crafts.

EDIT; Already have my Valet Familiar. I did not go with the +Initiative Familiar because that was done on the past two campaigns. I also won't be getting a Faerie Dragon Improved one next level for that same reason.
    Last edited by Barstro; 2016-08-25 at 09:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Craft Magic Arms and Armor is a good one, because of how darn expensive magic weapons and armor can get.

Why do you have Heighten Spell? It's of no use on buffs, and there's enough no-save enemy-hindering effects that I don't see you really needing it.

I'm also curious about why you have Skill Focus (and what skill you have it for) and Magical Aptitude. Are you trying to pump your Spellcraft to circumvent crafting spell requirements? Are they definitely useful in Mythic for some other reason?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Craft Magic Arms and Armor is a good one, because of how darn expensive magic weapons and armor can get.

Why do you have Heighten Spell? It's of no use on buffs, and there's enough no-save enemy-hindering effects that I don't see you really needing it.

I'm also curious about why you have Skill Focus (and what skill you have it for) and Magical Aptitude. Are you trying to pump your Spellcraft to circumvent crafting spell requirements? Are they definitely useful in Mythic for some other reason?
    We are in a Mythic campaign. Craft arms and Armor is good, but one character already has a Legendary Weapon and I rather expect another one to as well (final member might not even use weapons). That means I'm really just down to Armor. Just crafting a MM Rod of Lesser Quicken might be of more value than a couple Armors

I chose Heighten Spell for counterspelling. I'd be using it to change the level of my spells to "counter any spell with another spell of that school that is at least one level higher" (or something to that effect). It's probably wasted and I freely admit that being an on-demand spell-stopper is not the greatest role I could take.

Skill Focus is because I could not come up with a better Feat for Human Bonus Feat, so I took the alternate trait that gives me three Skill Focus (Spellcraft, Perception, maybe a Knowledge). I think that's a worthwhile trade.

I'm trying to play a character that does little on his own, but helps the party shine;
    Buff
    Debuff
    Cancel enemy spells
    Battlefield Control
    Craft everything to effectively double WBL

10. - Top - End - #10

Most of the rod I would want are only 3k. Due to my Mythic choices, I can craft those in two days without getting the Craft Rod Feat.

Lesser Quicken would take so long, even with the Feat, that I'd be likely to purchase it anyway.

I'm leaning away from Craft Rods.

Maybe Silent Spell and pick up Still Spell later for that emergency situation which will never happen.

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Brisk Spell is an interesting metamagic feat with no level adjustment, but only applies to spells that grant movement types. Otherwise, Improved Initiative is always a good standby.

12. - Top - End - #12

Other decent Sorcerer feats include:

Spell Perfection
    Additional Traits
    Combat Casting
    Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus
    Spell Specialization
    Spontaneous Metafocus
    Conceal Spell?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

In non-Mythic, Sorcerers can't use metamagic in counterspelling, because full-round actions can't be readied. Do you have a Mythic ability to get around that?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    In non-Mythic, Sorcerers can't use metamagic in counterspelling, because full-round actions can't be readied. Do you have a Mythic ability to get around that?
    Arcane bloodline.

15. - Top - End - #15

Also Mythic Spontaneous Metafocus
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

non mythic feat
    focusing on buffs
    I would honestly look into taking a skill focus.
    Diplomacy or Bluff might be really good.
    Unless you take the mythic ability display of charisma... in which case "My teeth shine with a glowing grin and I get my way."

If that doesn't interest you, I would look into getting some spell focus, or maybe spell penetration (+2 overcome MR is pretty damn nice, and an absolute need at high levels)

Other good one might be cosmopolitan, giving you two extra class skills and 2 bonus languages.
    Dunno how much RP vs Kill Stuff is going on here.

17. - Top - End - #17

I went with Still Spell. I might do Cosmopolitan for the next unknown one.

Thanks, all.