New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC [3.5, high speed]

Xaanthios pauses in contemplation.

”I believe moving on is best. Both dragons and druids tend to be strong of will, so the influencing or either could be challenging. That said, testing ourselves against simpler foes such as orcs seems to have potential, should the occasion arise. We must not seek out challenges, our mission is of too great import to risk failure to chance.”

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Colossus in the Playground

Melinda thirds the sentiment, "Yes, we should move on. We have a vital mission and shouldn't waste time unnecessarily."

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Agreed. Cross the river here getting cover from our hosts or head to the city?" Cendrik starts making camp, trying to pick a spot that won't upset the probable druids.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

You camp overnight in the psychoportive shelter without issues, although the lone horse always stays as far away from Lockheed as possible. Within minutes of emerging, an elf you don’t recognize approaches. “I am Chiral. Your words were true, and the petrified orcs are now slain, their mission a failure, and their correspondence ours. These are yours. A ring of water-breathing, and a brooch that protects against Magic Missiles.”

(Brooch of Shielding, fully charged; Ring of Water-Breathing)

Do you want to try to buy or trade for any gear, or head out? If moving, will you go through Tongliao, or will you be bypassing it?'
    => Party

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Scanning around, Xaanthios finds a fallen branch from one of the local trees. He looks over to the elves with a questioning eye. ”I would like to bring with me a memory of the quiet peace of this place, if it doesn’t offend.” He bows slightly towards them, and murmurs a prayer in elven over the branch, running his hands over the branch back and forth in time with the rise and fall of his prayer.

The wood shifts and changes under the psion’s hands, straightening into a long simple staff. The twigs and forks and knots of the wood wind around to form intricate patterns that mimic the original shape of the branch. Finishing, he bows again over the now complete quarterstaff, extending a soft smile to the elves.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Expend 7 points to activate Fabricate, to craft a fine quarterstaff.
    (1d20+14)[21]

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Chiral looks at the staff and smiles appreciatively. “You have some appreciation for nature, and an eye for naturally-formed art. It is good to be creative. So many short-lived people stay focused on a single thing instead of taking the bird’s eye view and enjoying the beauty that is all around.”

You negotiate and pay for a few potions (please finalize list OOC and deduct funds from sheets, and then approach the river. At this point, it is about 80 feet wide, moves relatively slowly, and you think it gets 10-15’ deep in the river.

You can probably swim across it without much difficulty, if nothing interferes.

Spoiler
    Show

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm
    Keep in mind that Swim checks suffer DOUBLE the usual armor check penalty.

7. - Top - End - #1387

With them more accepting now, Cendrik queries Chiral. "You mentioned water elementals?"

"You stated this is an outpost of whom?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Edited: Horses can swim
    Last edited by Cavir; 2018-10-18 at 06:01 AM.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

“Yes, the water elementals that live in the river have been troubling travelers recently. There’s no apparent reason.

We are the Glamhoth Dagnir.”

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Rex speaks up, "Is there a safe way to cross the river?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

"There's a ferry a couple of days to the north, or you could swim. We fly across. Couldn't you do the same with that wyvern?"

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

The four of you decide to continue northward. Rex’Thaun occasionally makes trips to fly to the edge of the river to see if there’s a place to cross, but so far, he’s only seen some a scant few small riverboats travelling south, each well-equipped with alert archers on deck.

A day after leaving the Glamhoth Dagnir, shortly after passing the joining of the two rivers, Rex hears a beautiful female voice singing. He looks down and spots a white-haired woman in a dress sitting on a rock next to the river. She has a nice voice, but it doesn’t look like she has a boat. He doesn’t feel any special compulsion to fly down to see her, although he thinks her song might have that intent.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

The journey out of the forest had been a peaceful one for the Psion as the poison slowly worked its way out of his body. As his limbs regained their normal (entirely average) flexibility, the psion kept an eye out for opportunities to use his powers to improve their chances for success, either through creating equipment for his allies or through divining their future.

As Rex swoops through the air, Xaanthios once again sends his inner thoughts to pry at the future as to their chances passing across the river.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Use 7 Power Points to cast Psionic Divination, asking what our future across the river looks like based on our existing plan.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

(46)

The route above is treacherous cliffs and climbs,
    The route below is dark with things that enslave your minds,

No guide in the sun but the howling wind amongst cliffs stark,
    Kill the devil who isn't, and find your guide for the dark.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

Rex will fly back to the group and explain what he saw.

He thinks we should leave it alone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

15. - Top - End - #1395

Cendrik agrees with continuing on. "I am surprised there are no boats sailing the river. Figured there would be trade between the cities."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

”I do not disagree, such seems a needless danger. I have had some insight from prying into the future that I feel it is important to share.” Xaanthios repeats the rhyme to his companions.

“While it seems as though the mountain passes are custom made for Rex and Lockheed, the journey sounds quite dire. What say you all?”

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

Rex frowns, "Kill the devil that isn't? what are we supposed to do with that?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #1398

Cendrik ponders the cryptic rhyme. The Sublime Way had many puzzles of wisdom.

"Perhaps not a real devil, but one who is the devil to our plans? Kill the devil and gain a friend? A prisoner of our devil? I do not like the idea of things in the dark turning us against each other without the means to protect and counter against it."

"Rex, have you noticed subtleties with the gift from Him to find our way? When you fly high does it point downward some? When you fly east or west does the direction change enough to compare the differences? Knowing if the way points under the city or high up in the mountains could guide our choices."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Rex flies back to the group, and the four of you decide not to investigate the strange woman singing by the river. Rex steers Lockheed a few miles east or west, trying to see if you are close enough for parallax to kick in with regard to your goal, but it doesn't seem to change anything, so you have at least another week or two of travel ahead of you, if not more.

Rex does sight a couple of large herds of sheep grazing on the plains to the east of the river. The sheep-herders look up at the wyvern, but don't seem to be afraid, even though it's a big draconic sheep-eating beast flying overhead.

A couple of days pass without more incident, and the group catches up with a lean, bearded man in leathers, driving a wagon full of wool north. "Of course I'm going to Tongliao, it's not like I can take this southeast and sell it in the Trollfens, now is it, fellers? The merchants there buy the wool with good silver. It's a living for me and the wife and kids, especially now that the area's gotten," he blinks for a moment, perhaps realizing that he's over-sharing "well, at least somewhat safer. Most of the big predators have, I hear, been dealt with."

The path across the river is only a mile or two ahead. You start to pass a few sets of ruts left behind by wagon-wheels, and the smoke of the forges is definitely much closer.

20. - Top - End - #1400

Still catching up to the wagon, Cendrik takes off his Tiger Mask to be less threatening. "Must be a local. Should know the ins and outs of the area. Want to take this one Melinda?" He'll keep within earshot but not so close as to be imposing.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods at Cendriks words, staying on top of LockHeed in the back, and smiling, hefting his lance in the cradle of his arm, patting LockHeed on the neck with the other...."and to think she was a real dragon all the time, maybe when we're all done here, we can go back and talk to her, might be the leader...well, we'll see." he whispers to his mount.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #1402

"Certainly." Melinda steps ahead of the others, approaching the wagon driver.

"Is there anything we should watch out for in the area?" she asks, with a friendly smile. She waits for him to answer before adding, "I'm glad to hear things have been getting safer recently--why is that?"

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

“Nah, most of the landsharks are wiped out, the centaurs have got more civilized-like, and something scared off most of the wolves, too. It’s the new lady ruling in her castle southeast of here. Her only tax is a few sheep now and again, and that’s better than paying gold that we don’t have. Best you watch out in town…pickpockets and thieves and worse are thicker than they were a few years ago.”

24. - Top - End - #1404

"This lady polices the wilderness but not the cities?" Melinda says. "Huh. Sounds like an improvement overall, though, I guess. I take it the ruler before her was worse? How long had she reigned?"

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

"Nah, the city’s run by the guilds…well, not officially, but the Mayor and Sheriff both know who to listen to. Glad I don’t live there.

There was nobody running this side of the river before. Free, but not safe. Bandits come through? Hide the girls in the cellar, ‘yes sir this, yes sir that, would you like a barrel of salted mutton for the road.’”
    He spits to the side… then eyes your weapons and armor and decides to change the topic.

“It’s safer to range farther now and leave the family at home so I can go in to town more than once a year – we’re doing a lot better than my pappy’s day.”

26. - Top - End - #1406

"Guilds, huh? Sound like bad news," Melinda says sympathetically.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh, it's better than some gold-plated addle-pated king."

28. - Top - End - #1408

Cendrik increased his speed a little to catch up to Melinda and the farmer. He keeps Melinda in between them so not to scare the commoner. "Good thing we are not bandits. Knowing who is in charge is a useful thing." The swordsage deftly tosses a gold coin to the farmer. "What can you tell us about the guilds? Which guilds are there and which hold the power?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

He shrugs. “Probably the miners and the merchants? Those as digs the gold, and those as have it? As long as I get a fair price for my wool, I don’t care.”

30. - Top - End - #1410

Cendrik nods and keeps his pace up to get ahead of the wagon. He kept on the edge of the road, on the river side, internally reminiscing on his short stay in Tongliao while keeping watch for ambushing bandits now that they didn't have eyes in the sky.
    Show