New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default What time-based magic is there?

Man, I just realized how long it's been since I've been here. I've been stupidly busy. I miss being on gaming forums.

Anyway. The question: So I'm putting together a new campaign for next year, and as part of preparation for that campaign, I need to know which pathfinder rules are used to see / do stuff with the future. (As a secondary: Any spell that messes with time would be useful to know)

The two most obvious spells for the future are "Augury" and "Divination". There's also "Borrowed Time". Are there any others?

Secondarily: The most obvious time spell is "Time Stop." There's also "Elude Time," "Time Shudder," "Haste," "Sands of Time," "Threefold Aspect," and "Temporal Stasis." The Time mystery for the Oracle applies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What time-based magic is there?

If dreamscarred press material is allowed the Riven Hourglass discipline is all related to time manipulation.
    Last edited by Aldrakan; 2016-08-27 at 05:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

In a similar vein to that, Spheres of Power has the Time Sphere, which can do everything from temporarily ejecting people from the time stream, rapidly aging them, hasting/slowing them, and stealing turns from people, and other such stuff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wow! I've never heard of either of those. Thanks for the reference! I'm not sure how those would fit into my campaign but they're a great source of ideas.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Witches have a Time patron, but I'll second Riven Hourglass, PoW is fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

I think in general there are very few rules about messing with the future, because it can so easily be poison to a campaign to be able to ask what will happen at a future point the DM may not have even thought about yet. Making rules PCs can point to and exploit is seen as a bad idea (note that augury and divination are both quite vague, have a severe time limit, and come with a bunch of caveats to let the DM basically decide if they want to reveal something.)

True Prognostication (8th) works like divination but can see up to 100 years in the future - and it's specified that the info gathered is "incredibly cryptic"
    Foresight (9th) gives you a "sixth sense" about dangers to you that are "impending". Impending isn't defined but it's implied to mean within a round or two
    Last edited by Aldrakan; 2016-08-27 at 08:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

All of that is very useful, thank you!