Default Re: The Dragon Empire IC, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Spoiler: Azrin
    Show
    Please make a Diplomacy check.
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+0)[8]

You know Azrin well enough by now to know that he couldn't convince rain to fall downwards.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2016-12-04 at 03:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    The door refuses to budge.

River grabs Orville and drags him away. At first the man recoils from him, but River is dragging him in the direction Edmund said to go. He moves past River in the fog, still wary of the monk. The hobo comes around to flank the croc, only to find it gone. He wanders aimlessly in dazed confusion.

Olivin moves deeper into the cloud, the two eagles pursuing. He is able to react and lash one out of the air with his cat o' nine, where it vanishes into the wisps of the mist. The other swipes at his face with his claws, but can't make contact.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    River drags Orville 20 feet back. Orville uses his own action to move past, towards the open room.

Eagle 1 moves through Olivin's threatened squares, and he takes it out with one swing.
    Eagle 2 scratches at Olivin, but misses.

The Asmodeans act beyond where the party can see.

Here is the map.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund winds up for a swing as a figure looms up out of the mist, but restrains himself when he sees River and a wounded Orville. "We killed a summoned beast and then Azrin took off to fire the flare. Where's Olivin?"

Ed lifts his hammer and shield again, staring intently into the mist and readying himself to hold the line.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving to make sure no one can get between Ed and Olivin, and readying another attack like last round.

Spoiler: Stat block
    Show
    Edmund Grimace

Chaotic Good Human Fighter/Cleric (ECL 5)

HP 36/46, Initiative +4, Speed 25, BAB 4.
    AC 22, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 20, CMB +8, CMD 22
    Fort+8, Ref+3, Will+6
    Masterwork Glaive +9 (1d10+6)
    Throwing Axe +8 (Melee) +6 (Thrown) (1d6+4)
    +1 Orcsbane Warhammer +9(+11) (1d8+7(+2d6+2))
    Shortbow +6 (1d6)
    Chain Shirt +4 (Light)

Effects Defending Bone DR 5/Bludgeoning (20/25) 5 hour duration - cast prior to entering Calistrian temple;
    Ironskin (22/50) (+4 enhancement to Nat Armor) 5 minute duration - cast at start of doll fight
    Divine Favor (7/10 rounds remaining) (+2 to attacks and weapon damage rolls) 1 minute duration - cast at Asmodean tunnel ambush
    Bull's Strength (48/50 rounds remaining) (+4 to STR) 5 minute duration - cast during Asmodean tunnel ambush

Spells (CL5): (L1) 1/4, (L2) 1/3
    (D1) 1/1, (D2) 0/1

Maneuvers (IL3):
    Encouraging Roar

Abilities: STR 22, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 10

Special Abilities: Channel Energy 1/3, Ferocious Strike 2/5, Touch of Glory 2/5.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Edmund winds up for a swing as a figure looms up out of the mist, but restrains himself when he sees River and a wounded Orville. "We killed a summoned beast and then Azrin took off to fire the flare. Where's Olivin?"

Ed lifts his hammer and shield again, staring intently into the mist and readying himself to hold the line.

Show
    Moving to make sure no one can get between Ed and Olivin, and readying another attack like last round.
    "Coming right behind me," huffs River after the effort of dragging Orville. "More summons as well. And they're messing with our minds too, so sorry if I lash out at you. I already hit Orville." He glances apologetically at the guardsman, then takes the left side of the hallway and adopts a ready stance.

Show
    Readying an action to strike the first enemy that comes into range, and taking the left corner. Making a stealth check also, to avoid being seen, and hopefully, to deny someone a dex bonus if I can surprise them.
    Stealth: (1d20+9)[24]

Spoiler: Stat Block
    Show
    River

Lawful Neutral Human Monk (ECL 5)

HP 29/43, Initiative +5, Speed 40, BAB +3.
    AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 14, CMB +6, CMD 19
    Fort+6, Ref+8, Will+7

Unarmed Strike +7 (1d8+3)
    Flurry of Blows +7/+7 (1d8+3)
    Shuriken +6 or +5/+5, FoB (1d2+3)

Effects: None

Abilities: STR 16, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 7, WIS 16, CHA 7

Special Abilities:
    Elemental Fist: 2d6 (+3 if cold) 4/6
    Ki Pool 4/6
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2016-12-05 at 09:05 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

6. - Top - End - #276

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin follows on behind his companions and takes a place by the door. "I am sorry, they cast a spell on me." he says apologetically to the guard. "I am in rough shape now." He adds simply. Olivin will take the moments rest to pull a CLW potion out.

Show
    Not really tracking distances here. Withdraw I did last turn lets you move twice your base speed. Would I have made it outside the hall?

If I still have action left right now Olivin will drink the potion as well as pulling it out.

7. - Top - End - #277

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Olivin had withdrawn to the other side of the door. The corridor has no doors aside the hidden one, so that's where I'd placed him.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Now embiggened, Azrin attempts to yank his hand free of the door.

Spoiler: Strength
    Show
    Check: (1d20)[16]. I'm kinda assuming this'll fail but regardless...

Azrin realizes his friends may need some assistance. Suddenly the sound of a splintering door and influx of twenty soldiers echoes down the hall and into the mist. Among them are incantations and shouts of "Die, Asmodean scum!"

Spoiler: Ghost Sound
    Show
    DC13 Will saves to disbelieve. It's all I've got left.

9. - Top - End - #279

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Azrin's hand remains firmly attached to the door, and also to his arm. The hobo wanders up the stairs and scratches his ass, looking at the door. "It lives under your bed." He declares.

As Olivin emerges from the hallway to find Edmund, River, and Orville there, the last bird flies at him from behind. It sails past, talons grabbing only air, and then it blows away like dust in the wind.

Apart from Azrin's ghost sound, all is quiet.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund glances behind him in surprise at the sounds of Azrin's illusion. Realising the trick for what it is, he turns back to face the front with the others. He whispers to them, careful not to let his voice carry through the mist. "Brace yourselves. We'll give it another few seconds, but then we'll have to charge them. We don't want them escaping back up the tunnel and surprising the Calistrians."

Show
    Ideally we want them to venture forward and attack, as we hold the superior position. I suggest we give them a few rounds to get their bravery back after they realise Archy's ghost sound was just an illusion. If they don't attack after that though, we'll probably have to attack them ourselves. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

For now, Ed is readying another attack.

11. - Top - End - #281

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin Drinks his CLW potion, (1d8+1)[7] Then pulls his last potion out of his bag. He looks at his last potion sadly.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    He will drink it next round.

Edit for stats
    Spoiler: Olivin Stats
    Show

HP 24 / 60 Speed ft Init 0
    AC 14 Fort 7 Ref 1 Will 2
    CMB +12 BAB 5
    Whip +1 14 (1d3+7, x2)
    whip+1 pwr attack 13 (1d3+9, x2)
    whip+1 trip&disarm 18 (nil, x2)
    cat whip 13 (1d4+6, x2)
    cat pwr attack 12 (1d4+8, x2)
    cat trip&disarm 17 (nil, x2)
    Str 20 (5) Dex 10 () Con 16 (3) Wis 10 () Int 14 (2) Cha 7 (-2)
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2016-12-07 at 11:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Edmund glances behind him in surprise at the sounds of Azrin's illusion. Realising the trick for what it is, he turns back to face the front with the others. He whispers to them, careful not to let his voice carry through the mist. "Brace yourselves. We'll give it another few seconds, but then we'll have to charge them. We don't want them escaping back up the tunnel and surprising the Calistrians."
    Azrin sighs, and messages back, "Maybe if we get this door open we'll at least have a way out if they do come this way. We're not in much shape to fight." He conjures a bright green hulking luminous half-ogre and sends it down the hallway through the mist with a wave of his free hand.

Edited to amend: He begins to move the light but hesitates when he sees Ed's expression on recognizing the spell.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2016-12-08 at 12:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed nods at Azrin's Message, before giving a small double take and glancing back up in the direction of the exit. Despite the situation, a hint of a smile plays across his face.

"Wait. Azrin, are you stuck to the door?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Indeed. I made myself bigger in a vain attempt to overpower it, but I can't seem to do that, nor will it listen to reason."

15. - Top - End - #285

River strains to listen down the hall for any sound of their foe, then launches a couple shuriken hoping to catch someone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d20+11)[12]

Attacking with FoB down the hall at the square where AC2 was last seen. Unclear as to what the interplay might be between concealment and soft cover, but I figure if the shuriken go to that square, and there is anything in between, it should get hit, even if it doesn't do damage it can give an audio clue as to what's down there. Plus, since they don't see the attack coming, they might be denied Dex to AC, right? Anyway, whatever I can get I guess

Shuriken 1:(1d20+5)[16]
    Damage:(1d2+3)[4]
    Shuriken 2:(1d20+5)[8]
    Damage:(1d2+3)[5]
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #286

BlueKnightGuy

River's shuriken sail down the hallway, clinking off of the stone. He's not sure whether it was the wall or the floor, but they didn't hit anybody.

Show
    On a side-note, there are no such thing as ogres on the island, so the party wouldn't know what they look like; similarly to how there were no crocodiles, so Azrin didn't know what it was.

It might be interesting OOC knowledge that the Asmodeans do know what a crocodile is.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund suppresses the urge to grin, especially given that his own face still stings from his encounter with the door. Finally realisation dawns on him.

"Azrin, I think that door is alive somehow, but I don't think it's inherently evil or working with the Asmodeans. It's just messing with us. I know this sounds crazy, but you could try reasoning with it. It might let you through."

18. - Top - End - #288

River frowns as his shuriken bounce off stone. He listens to the discussion between Ed and Azrin, then interjects, "Yes, I also got the sense the door was... aware. Now that I think of it, just before we went through, I saw a rat chewing on a finger. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it was watching me. Not like an animal either, more like a person..."
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #289

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin shrugs, "I don' know anithin' bout smart doors." He says simply. "Maybe if we offer it a fresh coat o' varnish it'll be nice to us?"

20. - Top - End - #290

BlueKnightGuy

All remains silent while the group waits for something to happen. Orville, still heavily injured, backs out of the mist and takes cover behind the shelves, nursing his wounds. The hobo attempts to help Azrin get free from the door, but the two of them make no progress.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hearing Azrin and the hobo still struggling with the door upstairs, Edmund breaks away from the front to help. His hand glows slightly in the mist as he casts a spell.

His leg throbs in protest as he takes the steps two at a time. He skids to a halt on the landing, swallows his pride and addresses the door, trying not to to think about how stupid he looks.

"Would you please let my friend through? You've successfully made fools of both of us now. I for one am going to have some pretty interesting face bruises tomorrow. But it's important that he get out into the street at once"

Show
    Ed casts Touch of Glory and then heads upstairs to the door. I'm also making this check at -2, as I think the door will have successfully activated Edmund's 'Pride' drawback.

Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[22]

22. - Top - End - #292

BlueKnightGuy

It takes a moment, but the door actually answers Edmund directly in his own voice, "Already slipped up by letting you folk in. Ain't supposed to let you in without a password, boss' orders. I'm not sure if I oughta let you go now. The fellas downstairs are real scary."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund raises his eyebrows in surprise as the door answers him. He takes a moment to regain his composure and then replies.

"You think your boss would prefer a bunch of outsiders running around in here unsupervised? Trust me, your boss doesn't want us in here any more than we want to be. It'll suit them better if we get as far away from all this as possible."

24. - Top - End - #294

BlueKnightGuy

"You know I could hear you talking about flares and all that while you been hanging around right?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed shrugs and hefts his warhammer threateningly. "You've got me there. How about this then: How about you release my friend and open up, or I'll have a go at letting myself out."

26. - Top - End - #296

BlueKnightGuy

"This gig ain't worth it," the door releases Azrin from its adhesive, detaches itself from the doorframe with a pop, and begins gliding away into the alleyways. One of the gamblers from earlier is hanging around, and watches the door go by with a dumbstruck expression.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund shakes his head in bemusement. After a moment he turns to the party. "Let's get that flare off. Then I think we need to move up this tunnel. The Calistrians may have lost the element of surprise now. We need to be in a position to move in and help if they need it. Anyone have any other thoughts?"

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

As the door moves away, Azrin says, "Thanks." He seems to not think too much is odd about that.
    "Well, at least it wasn't a door to some other dimension, right?"

He steps outside and fires the flare up.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed takes a moment to listen for the sounds of fighting coming from the entrance to the estate. After a second he heads back down the stairs to join the others in the mist.

Show
    Archy, could you please move your lights up first to make sure they're not waiting to attack?

30. - Top - End - #300

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    The Estate is still some distance away with buildings in-between, so any sounds of fighting probably wouldn't reach here.