New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Dragon Empire IC, Part III

Edmund holds his hands out non-threateningly and slowly rises from his chair. He eyes Greg and the other sap-happy guards sternly, projecting all his years of authority into the stare and silently warning them off hitting him too. After a moment he turns to Orville and nods over at Claudia.

"She's the one that helped put us onto the kidnappers. We may not have much time. How long until Lorey gets here?"

He glances over and addresses Claudia. "I don't think we're going anywhere until we have a chance to speak with the Captain."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I don't know," Orville answers in exasperation. "It should take a messenger maybe fifteen minutes to get to the main guard barracks from here."

"And Kenneth should be back from fetching the messenger by now," Greg adds. "He was supposed to come back here after he sent one wasn't he?"

Sighing in annoyance, Claudia taps her foot impatiently. "This opportunity isn't gonna last forever. If you're not coming I'll take care of it myself."

"Who is this woman?" Orville asks Hindrick, "Why did you just let her in here, you useless idiot! You had one job: watch the damn door!" Hindrick clenches his teeth and turns bright red.

"And you people wonder why I've got no faith in the guard," snarks the Calistrian priestess.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

River regarded Ed silently as emotions and thoughts warred within him. His principles told him to follow the rule of law, but at the same time the knowledge that lives were at stake made him want to burst out of the guardhouse at top speed and crush those responsible. At the same time, he knew that the word of his Captain was law enough for him to maintain his own moral convictions should he be ordered to act against the wishes of the guardsmen. In the short time he had served aboard the Fog he had been through enough with crew and Captain to know that he would follow him into death without a moment's hesitation. Standing slowly, hands open and unthreatening, he looked into Edmund's eyes so the Captain could see the truth behind his eyes and said, "I'm with you sir, whatever you decide."
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed catches River's eye and nods gratefully. This situation was well beyond the usual scope of his command, and it meant a lot that the monk was still loyal to a fault. He steels himself and turns back to Orville.

"If the Asmodeans have intercepted Kenneth, then Lorey isn't coming. We're running out of time. If they saw the fight in the store, they might already be going underground."

He takes a step towards Orville, hard conviction in his voice. "If we wait, your people and my people are dead. We have to move now. Come with us, we'll follow her lead and find the Asmodeans before they escape. As soon as we're done, we'll come straight back here and turn ourselves back over into your custody. You have my word."

He looks the man dead in the eye. "It's up to you. But you need to decide right now."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Are we still handcuffed RW? I don't remember if the guards removed them.

5. - Top - End - #125

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin looks around the group listening to the discussion. He is clearly uncomfortable. "Ill come Captain, but lets bring some guards with us if they will come."

Olivin nods to the guard who has been questioning them. "You should send some of your men with us. That way the guard can stay informed and they can hold us to our promise to return."

6. - Top - End - #126

BlueKnightGuy

"I can't just leave this place unmanned, with them here," Orville looks to Fortuna and the thugs, and notices Fortuna's smirk. It looks almost like she's trying not to laugh. "What's so funny? Speak up, woman."

"Everything about this really," she answers, having dropped all pretense of the helpful and bubbly personality she'd put on in the shop.

Scowling at Fortuna, Orville looks at Edmund, then back at her. He seems the be debating what to do.

Show
    You are all still cuffed, yes. The weapons that were confiscated were taken into another room for safe-keeping.

Edmund, or any other party member, can attempt a Diplomacy check to sway Orville's decision in the crew's favor.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Just leave one or two men to guard them then. Tie them to the wall and gag them if you have to. Lives may depend on it. We have to move now."

Show
    Diplomacy check (using the bonus from Touch of Glory that Ed cast earlier)

Maybe we could have everyone else chime in to convince Orville, and roll some Aid Another checks?

(1d20+9)[26]

8. - Top - End - #128

BlueKnightGuy

"Okay. Greg, stay here and watch Hindrick and the prisoners-" Orville holds up a finger before Hindrick can get a word in edgewise, "Tie these three to their chairs and do not leave them alone. If Kenneth doesn't return in five minutes, bring them to the main barracks. Edmund, I'll go with you." The guardsman relents.

Wordlessly, Claudia turns and leaves, apparently expecting the rest to follow.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    "Just leave one or two men to guard them then. Tie them to the wall and gag them if you have to. Lives may depend on it. We have to move now."
    "Hold on. First - we're taking her lizard with us. I've got some string in my bag.

"Second - bind them all tightly, gag the witch especially, and let me use my own Web spell to bind them in place in a cell. That'll give us a good hour, and suitable repayment for my earlier indignity. You can leave guards if you want, but leave no one alone with her, Sir.

"What say you, Fortuna? If you and the thugs are still in your cell when we return, you'll get Grommit back, eh?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy?
    Show
    Aiding Ed: (1d20+0)[18]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund nods at Orville. "Thank you. And Azrin's right. You'll need precautions. She's dangerous."

He glances down at his cuffs. "We'll need our hands free as well, and our gear back. We're not walking in there unarmed, and you shouldn't either."

11. - Top - End - #131

BlueKnightGuy

Orville sets about uncuffing the party, "Your gear is in the next room, in the chests and on the racks. Greg, Hindrick, get these three into the interrogation room. We'll keep them in there."

"Familiars can be replaced," Fortuna answers Azrin coldly. She smiles and stands, cooperating with the guards as they lead her into the room.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    "Familiars can be replaced," Fortuna answers Azrin coldly. She smiles and stands, cooperating with the guards as they lead her into the room.
    "I'm not planning on hurting him. But I hope he heard you. Perhaps I've made a new friend already."

When Fortuna and the thugs are situated, Azrin webs the room. He picks up his musket and bag, puts Botticelli in his pocket and leashes Grommit into Botticelli's usual carrier.

Show
    If Fortuna (and Grommit) are as cooperative as she seems, of course. (The carrier can go into the party's bag of holding (we have one of those, right?) for the moment.)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund stashes his gear, carefully replacing it all where it belongs, then turns back to Orville and Claudia.

"Let's go."

14. - Top - End - #134

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Remember that bags of holding have no air in them, so anything alive kept inside will suffocate.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Show
    Remember that bags of holding have no air in them, so anything alive kept inside will suffocate.
    Spoiler: Oh, details details
    Show
    Ok fine, it'll be in Azrin's usual bag.

16. - Top - End - #136

River replaces his weapons back to their usual places and nods to Ed and says, "Let's do this!" (To quote the immortal words of Leeroy Jenkins)
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin nods to the guard as he is uncuffled. Once free Olivin goes over to the other room and grabs his equipment. He replaces it and follows the others.

18. - Top - End - #138

BlueKnightGuy

When the crew gets outside, they spot Claudia waiting impatiently at the end of the block. Orville follows behind them as they hurry to catch up and she leads them all onto a side street. "This city's got a modest estate for political types from Aigodon or the Silver mountains to stay at, if they aren't top dog enough to get the castle guest room. It's been outta use for a while now with Aigodon being such a mess, looks like the Cult let themselves in. Somebody important's in there."

They turn down another sidestreet, avoiding the main roads as they move towards the nobles' district.

"Place has a secret entrance leading to what looks like the back door of a fancy inn called the Running Water. Supposed to be an emergency escape. We tracked the Cult there. You-"

"Who is 'we'?"

"You.Don't interrupt me when I'm giving a briefing. I was saying, you - Captain - and your crew are all gonna go in the secret way. We, as in me and my crew, we're gonna break in loud at the estate. No escape," Claudia stops walking at a T-intersection and takes out a disposable-looking pistol to Azrin. By the looks of it it's only meant to fire once, and contains a flare. The disposable flare gun was made with a larger hand in mind, but Azrin does know how it works. "This is to signal me when you're in position. My crew is already waiting for me to get back. We split up here." She commands them with all the authority of someone used to being in charge.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2016-10-19 at 05:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin nods in understanding while he listens to the explanation. As the mention of inevitable combat is made he takes his whip in hand. When the stranger is done explaining he looks to the Captain, "Orders Sir?" His comment is clearly intended to put control back in the hands of his Captain.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed listens carefully as Claudia explains the plan. He holds back a smile as Olivin undermines her order and gives the sailor a slight nod of acknowledgement.

He loosens his glaive in its sheath and turns back to the Calistrian. "Sounds like a good plan. I have a few questions though. Any idea where they're keeping the prisoners? How many do you have in your crew? What kind of resistance are you expecting inside? Where inside the inn is this passageway? I imagine it's carefully concealed."

21. - Top - End - #141

BlueKnightGuy

"The entrance is not in the inn at all. The back door of the building the inn is in leads down into what looks like a plain old cellar. A crawlspace leads to the secret passage," Claudia sounds vaguely annoyed, like she's having to explain something obvious to a child. "This is time sensitive, so I don't got time to case exact numbers. It can't be much, they're trying to lay low. I've got fifteen people with me. Should be enough to keep the footmen busy."

"I doubt the prisoners;d be here, the risk of being caught would be stupid. What we wanna do is to capture the one in charge," the Calistrian runs a hand along the hair at the side of her head and sighs, some nervousness showing through her irritation. "I found a clue at Fortuna's place. They're not just prisoners, they're sacrifices."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed eyes her carefully, then finally nods. "Alright, let's go. See you inside. Orville, you're with us."

Ed turns and leads the party towards the inn.

Show
    Ed is a bit suspicious of Claudia still - I think she's just an abrupt person, but the way she keeps trying to rush us into things makes me trust her less.

Sense motive: (1d20+7)[26]

23. - Top - End - #143

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Edmund doesn't feel like Claudia is lying, and her annoyance is definitely genuine.

"I don't like that woman," Orville says, drawing his sword as the group proceeds through the alley in the direction they're pointed. The side street ends far up ahead, turning towards the main street; there are no alleys among the estates of the aristocracy. The second last building is the one they are looking for, and there are three more buildings between them and it, with one other + intersection before the last corner. There are no visible guards or sentries from here. How will the crew proceed?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund pulls out his shield and holds it in his left hand as they approach, gesturing with his right.

"River, you take point. Scout ahead and make sure there's no one guarding the door. We'll follow at 60' back or so. Azrin, think you could keep us in contact?

"Everyone remember, we want to go quiet and non-lethal where possible. Any one of these thugs could have information on the captives."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    "River, you take point. Scout ahead and make sure there's no one guarding the door. We'll follow at 60' back or so. Azrin, think you could keep us in contact?"
    "Sure thing." Azrin double-checks his musket and carries it. He casts the Message spell on the group (including Claudia, if she's up for it) and adds, "I can also make magical noise if needed... unfortunately not magical silence."

26. - Top - End - #146

River nods and scouts ahead, keeping alert for signs of danger.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Stealth check: (1d20+9)[23]
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #147

BlueKnightGuy

River quietly stalks to each corner, checking them in turn. At the + intersection, he looks towards the main street. There is a homeless man carrying some sort of sign. River can't see the contents from this side, but the people passing by give him a wide berth. In the opposite direction of the main street, behind a dumpster, two men are rolling dice and betting on small change. There are no other notable persons as far as he can tell.

28. - Top - End - #148

River doubles back to the rest of the party following and reports what he's seen, asking for advice on how to proceed.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ed listens to the report carefully, straining his eyes to spot the people River had mentioned. "Could be Asmodeans in disguise, but there's not really any way to know. We don't have time to get too creative. Now we know who's out there, we'll head straight for the cellar doors. Everyone keep an eye on them. Let's go."

30. - Top - End - #150

River carries on to the cellar doors, watchful as usual.
    Show

Show