New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventuring Scientist Ranger Archetype

Our last article for our Science-Fantasy month started life as my attempt at making a Duck Dodger/Zapp Brannigan type character, but morphed into a more serious Ranger archetype that is more reminiscent of actual heroic characters, notably Indiana Jones and The Doctor. Check it out!
    http://forgotmydice.com/index.php/2016/08/29/allons-y/
    Last edited by Grynning; 2016-08-31 at 12:12 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Adventuring Scientist Ranger Archetype

This is pretty cool. Kinda works like a Factotum from 3.5. It seems balanced and if anything on the weak side. I might have Audacity refresh on short rests. By comparison a hunter ranger with colossus slayer by level 5 can get an additional 1d8 dmg on every turn. This is 50% of you or an ally getting 1d8 to hit 5 times per day if your intelligence is maxed out. Granted to hit is considered twice as valuable as dmg but its still too low of usage. Having it 5 times per short rest sounds about right as it is realistically more like 3-4 times per short rest. It might be a bit high at level 3. I would say have it upgrade to refreshing on short rests at some point.

3. - Top - End - #3

I felt like if they refreshed on a short rest using the ability wouldn't really be a choice, you would just use one every round of combat to maximize your chance of getting even rolls that do something. I changed it to long rest, but the dice aren't expended if you roll odd. So, you keep any dice that don't work to try again later. I also noted that abilities that can be used on allies are usually more limited (like Bardic inspiration) so I modeled it off that.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

I don't have my books on me but i am pretty sure bardic inspiration upgrades to short rest somewhere around level 5.

Edit: just confirmed. Bards regain at short rest at level 5.

I think they would still have to make the decision as each short rest has on average 2 combats with even use a low 3 rounds per combat and 4 people to the group that is 24 opportunities to use audacity per short rest and only a maximum of 5 uses. I'd say thats still lots of decision making to be had.
    Last edited by clash; 2016-09-12 at 10:01 AM.