New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Will the D&D movie (2016) be good?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    A D&D movie needs:

A dark, stone dungeon with flickering torches and inhuman sounds echoing from within

A party of adventurers creeping down corridors, carefully prodding suspicious looking things with poles

Classic traps and dungeon hazards- hidden pit full of spikes, poison darts from the wall, green slime melting someone's face off, gelatinous cube that absorbs a guy and we see him dissolve, shriekers
    Carrion crawler or two skittering out of the darkness and paralyzing someone,

Sliding hidden doors and secret passages

Somewhere we need to see a regenerating troll, rubbery mottled green skin and all

A rust monster

A Bigby's Hand spell used at some point
    Use of magic for utility and problem solving: tenser's floating disc, dancing lights, feather fall, spider climb
    Somebody collecting or handling bat guano

Hiring a bunch of mercenaries to accompany the party, see most of them get horribly killed by monsters and traps before the rest of them run away.

Hauling sacks full of loot while being chased by something.
    So...kind of like Aliens but without guns. I'd watch it.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

will the say what now
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Snnnnaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiillllllllllssssssssssss!!!!!! !!!!!
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I've already had my perfect D&D movie in Your Highness so either way I'm good.

But in seriousness I'm fully expecting it to be awful - I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near as good as the Warcraft movie and that was a solid "Meh".

As people have said I'd like a D&D movie to have some focus on the players, not TOO much, but similar to the way Princess Bride was filmed with the cuts to child and grandpa - occasional 4th wall breaks to the table with reactions etc The "DM" actor doing the Narration in the movie - stuff like that. Embrace the people playing the game side of things rather than just the epic fantasy movie vision.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Shh...did you hear that?

Listen very carefully...

Yes, you hear that? That complete lack of sound? That's the sound of nobody caring.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-08-31 at 09:37 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    So...kind of like Aliens but without guns. I'd watch it.
    Totally. The Indiana Jones tomb robbing scenes, maybe a little of the first Brendan Fraser Mummy film, plus Aliens, all with chain mail, swords, axes and spears. That's the tone we're looking for. We can even have a guy saying "game over man! game over!" as the survivors cram themselves into a ten by ten room and wedge the door shut, after watching three people get eaten by something.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Stewzors View Post
    I've already had my perfect D&D movie in Your Highness so either way I'm good.

But in seriousness I'm fully expecting it to be awful - I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near as good as the Warcraft movie and that was a solid "Meh".

As people have said I'd like a D&D movie to have some focus on the players, not TOO much, but similar to the way Princess Bride was filmed with the cuts to child and grandpa - occasional 4th wall breaks to the table with reactions etc The "DM" actor doing the Narration in the movie - stuff like that. Embrace the people playing the game side of things rather than just the epic fantasy movie vision.
    Never watched that movie is it worth watching?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Warcraft movie wasn't very good, so I don't have high hopes for the D&D movie, unless they somehow make it something different from a standard fantasy tale. One suggestion is making it actually about the game. So, people playing Dungeons and Dragons as well as the adventures their characters partake in. It could be a celebration and tribute to the roleplaying community. If it is something like that, it would be something unique and different. If not, well, than it just becomes a generic fantasy story and I don't see a real market for that anymore.

9. - Top - End - #39

People did that 'cut to the real world' thing with LEGO, and it ended up being pretty badly mocked. At least in part because it derailed the momentum of the third act.

Never watched that movie is it worth watching?
    If you're referring to Warcraft, you can safely skip it (like any video game movie, fantasy movie or movie made to cash in on pop culture buzz).

If you're referring to The Princess Bride, you should probably watch it at least once so you understand where a third of the quotes on the internet come from.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Totally. The Indiana Jones tomb robbing scenes, maybe a little of the first Brendan Fraser Mummy film, plus Aliens, all with chain mail, swords, axes and spears. That's the tone we're looking for. We can even have a guy saying "game over man! game over!" as the survivors cram themselves into a ten by ten room and wedge the door shut, after watching three people get eaten by something.
    Oh yeah. And at some point, probably the climax of the movie, there will be a huge dragon, probably a red dragon, that either swoops down or rises up out of some lava and fire, to the tune of 80's metal guitar riffs with the determined heroes in the foreground poised for action.

Of course the dragon needs to kill at least one of the main adventuring party in the course of the combat. Maybe the cynical thief, who finally has come to value friendship over gold and does something brave instead of hiding like he usually would. After the fight, the others will rush over to the dying thief, and someone will hand him a huge gem or a golden gem encrusted chalice and say "look, Ferdis, the hoard is ours!" he'll be like - *cough blood* "bury me with my share of the treasure. Don't forget the *cough* extra ten percent we agreed on and the *cough* magic dagger I let you borrow."
    Then they lay him down on a pile of gold and he dies clutching the chalice with a serene smile on his face.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Make it a quest to the ruins of a legendary city thought protected by a fierce dragon.
    Turns out one of the adventurers' is a descendant of the ruler and hopes to find proof of his claim somewhere in the ruins, another seeks the dragon's hoard even if it risks the fury of the dragon.
    Various forces are also interested in the ruins but are willing to wait for the adventurers to return outside so they can rob them, but one of the adventurers isn't who they think she is.
    Revealed as the former guardian of the city she has returned to help the descendant pay his respects to his ancestor revealing her hoard was spent helping to protect the city as it shielded her grove.
    A rival faith turned the locals against her and they burnt down her grove releasing her from her oath resulting in the destruction of the city as the rival cities realised it was now unprotected but they claimed she was responsible to avoid accepting the blame for their actions.
    The tomb of his ancestor is revealed as the only untouched treasure trove in the city but they're still faced with their rivals awaiting their return to steal their loot.
    The Guardian reveals herself allowing the adventurers to escape the city wiser, more experienced and a little richer but facing an uncertain future as their friend revealed as a dragon druidic sorceress has to move on to maintain her secret identity... are they willing to let her go and keep the secret or accompany her knowing that for them the adventure is only the beginning?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2016-08-31 at 03:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I liked Snails over the rest of the cast.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    As long as it's called "The D&D Movie" or something along those lines, no, it will not be good, because the title being so would indicate that those responsible for making it are completely missing the point of the game.

The first problem with the mindset that leads to making a "D&D Movie" is the idea that D&D is some kind of established setting; anybody who has spent even two minutes perusing the setting material will understand that D&D is a system of rules that allows you to make characters for a wide variety of settings, be it Faerun, Eberron, Dragonlance, Spacejammer, Golarion, Planescape...you get the idea. Now, having stories that take place in one of these worlds would be good, but if the movie was taking place in one of those worlds, those in charge of the movie would be afraid that setting a story in Eberron might exclude D&D fans that prefer non-Eberron settings.

From here, we're presented with some choices to make about the direction to take this movie in, and none of them are good: firstly, we can pick an existing setting and tell an existing story...but that story's probably already been told, so it wouldn't be telling a new story, and it would require getting the rights to use famous characters of the setting, which can be costly. Sadly, telling a pre-existing story is probably the best option available; I mean hell, I've never even read the books, but if it was announced that they're was gonna be a Drizz't movie, I'd go see it. Who knows, maybe it'll be great; LotR did it well, after all. Sadly, saying "but what if it ends up being as good as Lord Of The Rings?" isn't likely to get people to invest in such a story.

Next option is, unfortunately, far less ideal: make a fantasy film that doesn't take place in a pre-existing D&D universe, doesn't star pre-existing famous D&D characters, and is basically just some other fantasy with "D&D Movie" as the title. "Dungeons & Dragons" is a good example of this kind of movie; appropriate, it's only so infamous because the title is "Dungeons & Dragons", and would be far less well-known if it was called "Ismir's Folly", or something similarly unconnected to D&D. The problem here is that it's not really a D&D movie, it's some non-D&D thing that has the game's name slapped on to try and draw in fans.

Third option could be done well, but probably wouldn't be: have the movie set in a pre-existing universe, but have the story of it start non-famous characters (even completely new ones). My idea for something like this could be to set it in Eberron (allowing the movie's writers to easily make it an allegory for late 19th/early 20th century Earth, since that's basically what the setting is), and would star the protagonists (a party of badass Xen'drik tomb raiders halfway between LotR and Indiana Jones) who discover that the local giants and drow have been taken over by Quori, and are attempting to unearth ancient Giant artifacts that will allow them to perform a ritual to tie Eberron and Dal Quor into planar binds with each other, keeping the two planes in close metaphysical contact and allowing the quori to take over the world; now the adventurers must race to find the artifacts before the cult can, in order to prevent doomsday from coming early. The biggest problem with such a movie is, of course, that it would essentially be a big budget gaming story...and gaming stories are rarely interesting to somebody who wasn't taking part in that game.

Final option: if you're going to make a D&D movie, have it star the players, not the characters. This allows you to explore (in)famous gamer stereotypes, set up realistic people the audience can understand and connect with, show off the gaming stuff in a way that's easy to explain my game mechanics matter in a movie, playfully mock certain kinds of players and rules alike, and show how a bad group with a bad DM can still work together to make a great game, if they can stop being morons for two seconds and headbutting over every little things. The biggest problem with this idea, of course, is that Dorkness Rising is already a thing that exists.

TL;DR

There's already been 4 good D&D movies; one was Dorkness Rising, the other three are all Lord Of The Rings. If you want a D&D Movie to be good, it either needs to retell a pre-existing story with pre-existing characters (with the film's addition being to turn the words on the page into moving images), or it needs to focus less on the characters and more on the players (and deconstructing/reconstructing the traditions and nuances of the gaming sub-culture).
    I think the only half decent way to do a D&D movie would be to do a direct adaptation of a well known adventure module such as Great Modron March, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, or Temple of Elemental Evil. Preexisting characters aren't absolutely necessary.

Edit: Or Baldur's Gate!

Next option is, unfortunately, far less ideal: make a fantasy film that doesn't take place in a pre-existing D&D universe, doesn't star pre-existing famous D&D characters, and is basically just some other fantasy with "D&D Movie" as the title.
    A filmmaking technique which was also the basis of the new Ghostbusters movie

From here, we're presented with some choices to make about the direction to take this movie in, and none of them are good: firstly, we can pick an existing setting and tell an existing story...but that story's probably already been told, so it wouldn't be telling a new story, and it would require getting the rights to use famous characters of the setting, which can be costly. Sadly, telling a pre-existing story is probably the best option available; I mean hell, I've never even read the books, but if it was announced that they're was gonna be a Drizz't movie, I'd go see it. Who knows, maybe it'll be great; LotR did it well, after all. Sadly, saying "but what if it ends up being as good as Lord Of The Rings?" isn't likely to get people to invest in such a story.
    Plus saying "it'll be as good as Lord of the Rings" is kind of a monkey's paw, miscast wish kind of statement; what if it's as good as the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings?

The first problem with the mindset that leads to making a "D&D Movie" is the idea that D&D is some kind of established setting; anybody who has spent even two minutes perusing the setting material will understand that D&D is a system of rules that allows you to make characters for a wide variety of settings, be it Faerun, Eberron, Dragonlance, Spacejammer, Golarion, Planescape...you get the idea. Now, having stories that take place in one of these worlds would be good, but if the movie was taking place in one of those worlds, those in charge of the movie would be afraid that setting a story in Eberron might exclude D&D fans that prefer non-Eberron settings.

To be fair, there's definitely somethig to be said for the mindset mentioned at the end of that first paragraph, because I wouldn't go see the movie proposed in the second paragraph.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-08-31 at 09:10 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They stated back when they originally announced the deal that the movie would be set in the Realms. They hinted that no other place is worth considering. Probably, that's a swipe at how bad the Krynn-based Dragonlance movie did.
    Ok thats just insulting to all of their other settings. Personally Forgotten Realms is pretty far down on my list of settings (its right above Krynn, stupid color coded factions), i would much prefer Planescape (a DnD fan favorite) Greyhak (a classic) Eberrron (so many options) or Dark Sun, really anywhere but Faerun. Faerun just feels so... generic, on top of the fact that virtually every game they've ever made is set there whats left to tell?

In short, go to Eberron, its the setting of Dungeuons and Dragons Online, which is still fairly popular) and its a setting that gives them a lot of freedom and it in no way feels "generic"

Oh yeah. And at some point, probably the climax of the movie, there will be a huge dragon, probably a red dragon, that either swoops down or rises up out of some lava and fire, to the tune of 80's metal guitar riffs with the determined heroes in the foreground poised for action.
    So this then? I am of the firm belief that Dragons must be introduced to epic Metal Guitar Riffs, otherwise something is wrong.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2016-08-31 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

15. - Top - End - #45

Actually, now that I think of it, you could do a legitimate generic D&D movie without established characters, an established setting, or an established adventure provided that the entire movie was about mind flayers fighting a war against beholders
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Ok that's just insulting to all of their other settings. Personally Forgotten Realms is pretty far down on my list of settings (its right above Krynn, stupid color coded factions), i would much prefer Planescape (a DnD fan favorite) Greyhawk (a classic) Eberron (so many options) or Dark Sun, really anywhere but Faerun. Faerun just feels so... generic, on top of the fact that virtually every game they've ever made is set there what's left to tell?
    That marked bit? That's what the suits care about. More people have probably heard of or played Baldur's Gate and Pools of Radiance than otherwise have the faintest clue about what D&D is. You want that name recognition, because it serves as a multiplier on your advertising dollars.

Otherwise, people's reactions tend towards "Oh, that thing from the 80s that got everyone pissed off. And wasn't there a crappy cartoon too?" Then they turn to Google, find out the first movie stank, the next two were SyFy Originals, and they decide they can skip going to this.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    D&D is a really bad setting for fantasy stories, so I doubt it will be very good.

The assumption of a fantasy setting is that what the main characters do is important, and usually only they can do/have the will to do it. The assumption of D&D is that the world is full of super powered heroes that would make the Marvel universe weep, even in "low level" settings like Eberron and Dark Sun.
    I'd agree that D&D is a terrible setting for fantasy stories, and that more than that games in general do not turn into movies well. With that said, that assumption doesn't fit a great many fantasy settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think the only half decent way to do a D&D movie would be to do a direct adaptation of a well known adventure module such as Great Modron March, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, or Temple of Elemental Evil. Preexisting characters aren't absolutely necessary.
    This seems like a terrible idea. A decent movie lives and dies on the qualify of its storytelling and characters; this undercuts storytelling immediately and indirectly weakens the characters.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This seems like a terrible idea. A decent movie lives and dies on the qualify of its storytelling and characters; this undercuts storytelling immediately and indirectly weakens the characters.
    Not in fantasy and science fiction. A sufficiently intriguing setting and/oror story premise can make up for other shortcomings. I honestly couldn't tell most of the human characters from Lord of the Rings apart (nor could I tell Merriweather and Pippin apart, nor could i tell the dwarves from The Hobbit apart) but I still loved the movies anyway. There weren't any recurring characters in The Twilight Zone (unless you count the narrator). And 2001 A Space Odyssey is widely recognized as one of the best movies of all time despite having some of the most opaque and incomprehensible storytelling of all time. Plus, some of the best writers in history were rather poor storytellers, but made up for it by having good stories to tell; Tolkien, Dickens, and Lovecraft concocted some of the most wonderful stories ever told and then set them down on paper in a fashion that was only barely readable.

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Last edited by Hopeless; 2016-09-01 at 08:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    The Warcraft movie wasn't very good, so I don't have high hopes for the D&D movie, unless they somehow make it something different from a standard fantasy tale. One suggestion is making it actually about the game. So, people playing Dungeons and Dragons as well as the adventures their characters partake in. It could be a celebration and tribute to the roleplaying community. If it is something like that, it would be something unique and different. If not, well, than it just becomes a generic fantasy story and I don't see a real market for that anymore.
    Am I the only one who liked the Warcraft Movie? I thought it was flawed, but far better than Marvel Civil War, which was basically just a slew of pointless action sequences with a badly put together excuse plot. At least Warcraft aspired to be something more, and had some really interesting visuals. Frankly I'd say its the second best movie that has come out all yet. The best being Zootopia.
    ...And the fact that I am ranking a video game movie as the second best movie of the years speaks very poorly of this years crop. I hope I'm a bit eccentric.

At any rate if they are going to do a D&D movie, they should have a point where the Party goes off the rails. Where instead of following the carefully woven plot thread they just decide to go get drunk at a bar, and kill somebody important. This would spiral into an entirely different plot line where they are on the run from the Guards and trying to get out, and all the while the evil villains plans go forth without a hitch. At some point during this the rogue would die, and the Paladin and the Cleric would get into a brutal fight to the death over who got to steal his stuff. Eventually the surviving main characters get offered a job by the villain, who won offscreen because they were making so much chaos that nobody noticed his operations.
    You know, like the sort of thing which actually happens in D&D campaigns.
    Just a thought.
    : Proud Veteran Warrior of The Roy fan club.
    : Proud Member of the Redcloak fan club

These hands of mine have been dirty for a long time now Suzaku, your coming to face me now doesn't matter at all. Hell I welcome it even.
    I mean of course you and I are friends.
    {Begins laughing Maniacally as the city around him falls apart}

Lelouch Vi Brittania's reaction to a deaththreat from his best friend. Badass

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Am I the only one who liked the Warcraft Movie? I thought it was flawed, but far better than Marvel Civil War, which was basically just a slew of pointless action sequences with a badly put together excuse plot. At least Warcraft aspired to be something more, and had some really interesting visuals. Frankly I'd say its the second best movie that has come out all yet. The best being Zootopia.
    ...And the fact that I am ranking a video game movie as the second best movie of the years speaks very poorly of this years crop. I hope I'm a bit eccentric.
    I liked it. It had Orcs and Humans and they beat the crap out of each other, and that's really all it needed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post

So this then? I am of the firm belief that Dragons must be introduced to epic Metal Guitar Riffs, otherwise something is wrong.
    YAAAS
    Exactly. That is the perfect one.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    I liked Snails over the rest of the cast.
    Well, you aren't supposed to have sense in this kind of movie. (Snails was the one who wanted to forget all this nonsense and do something safer, right?).

Plus saying "it'll be as good as Lord of the Rings" is kind of a monkey's paw, miscast wish kind of statement; what if it's as good as the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings?
    I don't see the problem with it being better than the live-action Lord of the Rings films.

Seriously, there are a good number of people who prefer Ralph Bakshi's version for legitimately reasons, can people please stop insisting that it's inferior to the Peter Jackson version.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I don't see the problem with it being better than the live-action Lord of the Rings films.

Seriously, there are a good number of people who prefer Ralph Bakshi's version for legitimately reasons, can people please stop insisting that it's inferior to the Peter Jackson version.
    I'll level with you, I haven't actually seen Bakshi's version of LotR. I have however seen enough of his movies to know that most of his movies are really bad.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-09-01 at 09:35 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

At any rate if they are going to do a D&D movie, they should have a point where the Party goes off the rails. Where instead of following the carefully woven plot thread they just decide to go get drunk at a bar, and kill somebody important. This would spiral into an entirely different plot line where they are on the run from the Guards and trying to get out, and all the while the evil villains plans go forth without a hitch. At some point during this the rogue would die, and the Paladin and the Cleric would get into a brutal fight to the death over who got to steal his stuff. Eventually the surviving main characters get offered a job by the villain, who won offscreen because they were making so much chaos that nobody noticed his operations.
    You know, like the sort of thing which actually happens in D&D campaigns.
    Just a thought.
    I can agree with you that Civil War was disappointing in a number of ways, but I'm not sure I can agree about Warcraft being good. Now, keep in mind that my understanding of the movie comes not from seeing it, but seeing the trailers and hearing about the experience some friends of mine had at the movie; here's the impression I've been given:

"Going in, your expectations are probably low, because it's a magic-fantasy-based video-game movie; you figure, if you turn your brain off, and don't worry about whatever problems it has, maybe the movie will be a 'so bad it's good' movie. Then, as you watch the movie, it shows that there's serious effort going into it, and that people are trying, and that it just might deserve for you to take it seriously...and it raises your expectations just high enough that the movie can once more fail to meet them. This movie was a decent watch, but because it's aiming to be a great video-game movie and ends up coming out just above mediocre, it's not succeeding at its goal; it's too good to judge it by bad movie standards, but it's too bad to meet good movie standards."

I have no idea how accurate this impression is, given that I haven't seen the movie myself, but my friends have generally had good* taste in movies, so I imagine that's how I'd experience it as well.

*: Good movies in this case being "something I'd enjoy", since my friends and I tend to agree on what we thought of most movies (although we disagreed on Guardian Of The Galaxy).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll level with you, I haven't actually seen Bakshi's version of LotR. I have however seen enough of his movies to know that most of his movies are really bad.
    I love Bakshi's work, including LOTR, and he worked hard to promote the idea that animation can be for adults too. That said, yeah, sometimes they are bad, and this page will give a rundown better than I could http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm. keeping a character name consistent, ESPECIALLY if you are changing it to avoid confusion, seems like sort of basic stuff.

I also liked the Warcraft movie. It was an entertaining fantasy tragedy. Awkward at times, but at the end I wanted more. I hope there is a sequel in the works.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Not in fantasy and science fiction. A sufficiently intriguing setting and/oror story premise can make up for other shortcomings.
    D&D modules have neither of these things.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Am I the only one who liked the Warcraft Movie? I thought it was flawed, but far better than Marvel Civil War, which was basically just a slew of pointless action sequences with a badly put together excuse plot. At least Warcraft aspired to be something more, and had some really interesting visuals.
    Personally my main beef with the Warcraft movie is that it wrecked the Warcraft continuity.
    But then WoW has been doing far worse for several years by now, so I really shouldn't be that upset.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Holy crap, they made two of us. 'Cause that was exactly my reaction to a Warcraft/Civil War double header with a friend. And it wasn't even that I liked Warcraft better than guys in themed tights punching each other - which I knew would bore me - I liked Warcraft enough to go a second time by myself.

But a new D&D movie won't be that good. There's a lot of weird stuff in D&D that would be extremely hard to cook down into a 2.5 hour long movie - all the history behind the monsters, the weird way magic works - and so on. This weird is what, to me at least, makes D&D fun; strip that out and you've got generic fantasy without a clear story. Which in theory could be good, but has a very low likelihood of actually being good.

Really, what they should do is a D&D TV show. You could do a sort of archytpical campaign a lot better that way; spend time on the party members' origins, put in bits about ancient illithid empires and so forth, actually show a decent chunk of a cool fantasy world. Then bring in the chief evil dude, show the players ascend in power from scrubs to actually cool, and so on. Season finale takes place in an appropriately elementally themed lair - and you can bring in a whole new set of adventurers next season if you want.

Naturally, this will never happen.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I can agree with you that Civil War was disappointing in a number of ways, but I'm not sure I can agree about Warcraft being good. Now, keep in mind that my understanding of the movie comes not from seeing it, but seeing the trailers and hearing about the experience some friends of mine had at the movie; here's the impression I've been given:

"Going in, your expectations are probably low, because it's a magic-fantasy-based video-game movie; you figure, if you turn your brain off, and don't worry about whatever problems it has, maybe the movie will be a 'so bad it's good' movie. Then, as you watch the movie, it shows that there's serious effort going into it, and that people are trying, and that it just might deserve for you to take it seriously...and it raises your expectations just high enough that the movie can once more fail to meet them. This movie was a decent watch, but because it's aiming to be a great video-game movie and ends up coming out just above mediocre, it's not succeeding at its goal; it's too good to judge it by bad movie standards, but it's too bad to meet good movie standards."

I have no idea how accurate this impression is, given that I haven't seen the movie myself, but my friends have generally had good* taste in movies, so I imagine that's how I'd experience it as well.

*: Good movies in this case being "something I'd enjoy", since my friends and I tend to agree on what we thought of most movies (although we disagreed on Guardian Of The Galaxy).
    That's pretty accurate. Stuff like the Mario movie you can laugh at because the cast were drunk the whole time they were filming it, and B-horror schlock is either done with a wink and a nod at the tiny budget or acting like the tiny budget is a big one with the disparity being what makes the humor.

For video game movies, the utter lack of understanding of the source material is what provides the entertainment. For the first D&D movie, casting Marlon Wayans as a major character, among many other sins. The people that make it don't care, and that allows you to wallow in the badness.

Warcraft had an obviously huge budget. A heck of a lot of work went into the CGI. The people that made it obviously did so with a very solid understanding of Warcraft lore* and a lot of care was put into making it seem authentic.

Warcraft didn't have Jeremy Irons taking huge bites out of the scenery. It didn't have an obviously miscast comedy actor in what should have been a serious role. It wasn't written by writers that were high on PCP, or directed by someone who was just using the movie as a tax dodge (*cough* Uwe Boll *cough*).

With all that going for it, you start to expect a good movie. And it just...wasn't. It was the top end of mediocre, and the failure to make it genuinely good with all the work that was put into it only makes the failure stand out more.

As for the new movie? Meh. Hollywood has proven incapable of writing original fantasy movies for the past 20 years at least. It's the one case where I'd prefer they adapt something, because at least then there's a chance of quality from the plot.

*this week's version of it. Don't like it? Wait a week for the next retcon.