Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Terrible Race-Class builds with Awesome concepts

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post

Hope you like miasma.
    Also elephants.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

That gives me an idea for another race/class combo. Dwarven Ranger elephant-hunter. Seeking vengeance for the destruction of his home and the deaths of his kinsmen at the tusks of the Grey Menace.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Well, most bard PrC's don't prohibit lawful alignments, so the moment you enter one of these you can just turn lawful without losing anything.
    So it's Young Dwarf Musician who sells out as soon as they got mainstream.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    So it's Young Dwarf Musician who sells out as soon as they got mainstream.
    Or started out rebellious and hip, but fell in love with older, historical music. Like if a rising pop-rocker suddenly left the limelight and switched to playing the mandolin in a traditional-folk group that mostly plays at Ren Faires.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-09-04 at 10:58 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Dwarf Bard: I Shall Narrate Our Adventure In My Deep, Awesome Voice As My Performance Skill, As If I'm Narrating A Movie Trailer. Coming Soon To A Campaign Near You
    Can I sig this crap?
    Made me laugh.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerShaman View Post
    Can I sig this crap?
    Made me laugh.
    Sure why not, I don't mind.

lets see, what else:

Orc Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric/Anything with a primary stat in Wis, Cha or Int:
    Imagine someone trying to learn how to do magic, but constantly facing not only discrimination from others about how evil you are, but having a known impairment in how well you can learn it as well and thus have to work extra hard just to get the same results, and when you finally hold your own against anyone else and be awesome anyways? despite the challenges? Thats awesome, BECAUSE of the terrible race class combo.
    and yet, because of suboptimal stigma, no one ever tries.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

I've always loved the idea of a halfling monk. The image to me is just beautiful. Maybe one who lives in an area where halflings are typically made into slaves, and who is dedicated to freeing them from oppression. Maybe taking the vow of chains from pathfinder
    "Men are different.They propound mathematical theorems in beleaguered cities, conduct metaphysical arguments in condemned cells, make jokes on the scaffold, discuss the last new poem while advancing to the walls of Quebec, and comb their hair at Thermopylae. This is not panache; it is our nature."

-C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

In 3.5, I'd like to play a Pseudodragon Sorcerer. After all, the default fluff for sorcerers is that they have dragon ancestry, and Pseudodragons are dragons small enough to fit in a party. But the level adjustment gives me pause.

9. - Top - End - #39

I hate to sound like a broken record, since 95% of my D&D-related answers come from the context of my Incarnum setting now that I'm largely disillusioned with the game otherwise. But it's always bothered me that a power source based around connecting with the spirits of the dead and empowering yourself based on the strength of your soul is so weak when used by powerful undead souls. I understand why plant or construct Incarnates would be ineffectual, but the fact that the undead are entirely incapable of taking Incarnum feats by default makes me sad.

Also, I don't know how awesome anyone else would consider this, but I did once play a Minotaur Jade Phoenix Mage, who focused on physical enhancement and fire spells and the handful of fire-related stances and maneuvers. She had Monkey Grip from the start and got the Powerful Build ability transferred to her later on (long story) so she was hefting around a Gargantuan greatsword at base size, and she occasionally got up-sized for extra hugeness. She wasn't ever near as effective as the rest of the party, even despite using the Pathfinder rules for ECL calculation, but I had a surprising amount of fun playing her given how little I typically enjoy D&D's combat.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I hate to sound like a broken record, since 95% of my D&D-related answers come from the context of my Incarnum setting now that I'm largely disillusioned with the game otherwise. But it's always bothered me that a power source based around connecting with the spirits of the dead and empowering yourself based on the strength of your soul is so weak when used by powerful undead souls. I understand why plant or construct Incarnates would be ineffectual, but the fact that the undead are entirely incapable of taking Incarnum feats by default makes me sad.
    1. Plants have a constitution score in 3.5.

2. The Undead Meldshaper feat takes care of the constitution issue for undead by swapping the critical ability score to wisdom.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    1. Plants have a constitution score in 3.5.
    Do they really? Huh. Well, shows me for not having looked at a plant's stats at any time in the last several months before I said that.

2. The Undead Meldshaper feat takes care of the constitution issue for undead by swapping the critical ability score to wisdom.
    Yeah, I'm aware of this, but no, it doesn't matter. It only shifts the Constitution to Wisdom for the inborn class abilities, and meldshapers need Incarnum feats to function at anything resembling even half-capacity. And Undead Meldshaper does nothing for feat prereqs.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I once played in 3.5 a cleric of Pelor.... only thing was i didnt know IC that I was a natural born werewolf.

It came out in RP what i was though.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by haplot View Post
    I once played in 3.5 a cleric of Pelor.... only thing was i didnt know IC that I was a natural born werewolf.

It came out in RP what i was though.
    That's pretty weird tbh: natural lycanthropes supposedly have full control over their shapechanging.

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technically, because of our starting level, I couldn't be in full control of my shapechanging. It oinly happened for sure at full moon, whereapon the church would take me for walks around town, showing me off so to speak, and thereby hopefully putting off thieves.

There were mechanics in place for me to change whenever i took damage. I think it worked out that i had to make a save vs 10 0r 15 plus damage done to avoid changing. For some strange reason though, my dice would stop me from changing at some high damage done, but would force me to change whenever i took small amounts....

There were other roleplay considerations for me as well, which thankfully worked out in the end, but was a pain in the preverbably in the short term, although I cant remember off top of me head what they were... this was going back some time ago now.