New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default I just messed up and I'm terrible

Yesterday at work, a patient came late at night and left an unidentified sample, and left just a bit too quick for us to check it with him, so it'd have to be thrown away.
    But the requisition was properly filled, so if I could catch him, I could at least give the paper back along with a new container WITH a label this time. If not he'd have to go back to the clinic and get a new copy out of the archive and depending on the clinic it may well take all day.
    And that's where I messed up. His requisition had a cellphone* number on it, and he was likely still in the hospital, so all I thought was if I hurried I could call him before he took the bus home. Turns out, he did not have the cellphone with him, it was at home and his grandma picked up the call.
    So I was left to explain that actually the hospital calling late for Danny(fake name, obviously) was a mistake and no, nothing had happened to her Danny, she was worried, and if she's pissed off now it'll be entirely understandable.
    So now I'm feeling all stupid and guilty and worried. If she makes a professional complaint it won't be a big case but it'll be justified, and even if she doesn't I still acted without thinking and worried someone for nothing and I'm so mad at myself.

Sorry, right now I just needed to rant.

*: Actually I'm not even sure it was a cellphone number anymore, I thought those numbers starting with 938 (fake numbers too, just to be safe) belonged to a cellphone company, but Google returns nothing about such a deal, I may have just heard an urban legend and not questioned it due to the subject not seeming important at the time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I just messed up and I'm terrible

Hey, you tried to help. It wasn't a stretch to think he might have his cellphone with him (I mean, who doesn't nowadays?). It is regrettable you scared the old lady, but you couldn't have known in advance.

Where I come from, most people in your position wouldn't have cared enough to do any more than shrug before they threw that thing away, and that you tried to be helpful is a big step up in my humble opinion.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Update:
    The patient did get the message and returned right after my shift was over. So even though my action was misguided at least it had a happy ending.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You didn't do anything wrong. If a patient left contact information, it is so that they may be contacted when the need arises.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I fail to see how you acted improperly. You needed to contact a patient, and called them on the number they left. Anything beyond that regarding where their phone was or who answered it isn't your responsibility
    My awesome avatar by the lovely "the_fennecfox"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dodom View Post
    Update:
    The patient did get the message and returned right after my shift was over. So even though my action was misguided at least it had a happy ending.
    I don't think your actions were misguided at all.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, but as much as I'm glad things turned out alright, it was not my brightest move to assume the phone number they left would be a cellphone they'd have on their person right now. Not unlikely, but not certain, so a middle of the night call wasn't the best idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AliceLost View Post
    Yeah, I fail to see how you acted improperly. You needed to contact a patient, and called them on the number they left. Anything beyond that regarding where their phone was or who answered it isn't your responsibility
    As far as I can tell they're worried that it was inappropriate to call in the middle of the night without being 100% certain that it was a cell number
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)