New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCV: I am (Finally) Become Pancakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Rainbow Dash's Dad is not her Dad! The scandal! Boy, her mom sure must have a red face right now.

Although I'm more surprised that people are surprised. Has it really never occurred to some that maybe it was her big brother? It always seemed to me that both explanations were equally likely. Too bad if it's true, always thought Dash should be an only child (Fluttershy too, but that train came and went already)

Also, Applejack's parents are officially dead, it seems, and we may learn how it happened in the future? I'm curious how the show is going to approach that topic.
    I hope it turns out he's her uncle. There's not a single uncle in all of MLP. Parents. grandparents, cousins, nieces, and siblings, but no uncles. As an uncle, I feel underrepresented.

EDIT: And I mean on-camera! Referencing "old Uncle So-And-So" who we never meet doesn't count. Though So-And-So is a plausible pony name, now I think about it...
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-09-14 at 02:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

I hope it turns out he's her uncle. There's not a single uncle in all of MLP. Parents. grandparents, cousins, nieces, and siblings, but no uncles. As an uncle, I feel underrepresented.
    Uncle Orange is sad to have been forgotten.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    My bad. Did he have any lines? Has he been seen out of the back-story since?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Rainbow Dash's Dad is not her Dad! The scandal! Boy, her mom sure must have a red face right now.

Although I'm more surprised that people are surprised. Has it really never occurred to some that maybe it was her big brother? It always seemed to me that both explanations were equally likely. Too bad if it's true, always thought Dash should be an only child (Fluttershy too, but that train came and went already)
    My fanon is still that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and Scootaloo and Zephyr Breeze are sisters, and I don't care that S6 E11 contradicts this.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

My bad. Did he have any lines? Has he been seen out of the back-story since?
    He last appeared in Made in Manehattan, but he and Aunt Orange last had lines in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. They're background ponies.

If that's not good enough, then depending on how you see Spike and Twilight's relationship, you could consider him Flurry's uncle. Or Shining Armor Spike's uncle. Or none of the above.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

He last appeared in Made in Manehattan, but he and Aunt Orange last had lines in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. They're background ponies.

If that's not good enough, then depending on how you see Spike and Twilight's relationship, you could consider him Flurry's uncle. Or Shining Armor Spike's uncle. Or none of the above.
    I stand corrected. I'm still pulling for him to fill the "cool uncle" roll, though. As a cool uncle, I feel that they could be of good use to this series.

And while I'm at it, I still say So-And-So is a plausible pony name.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-09-14 at 02:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    My fanon is still that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and Scootaloo and Zephyr Breeze are sisters, and I don't care that S6 E11 contradicts this.
    Why?

I don't have a problem with that fanon in particular, it just seems odd to lump them together as one big family.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Banned

And while I'm at it, I still say So-And-So is a plausible pony name.
    You're not alone in that opinion. That's also a fan name floating around for Granny Smith's mother.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I don't have a problem with that fanon in particular, it just seems odd to lump them together as one big family.
    I think it's mostly because of S2 E22 and maybe S1 E16. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash seem to treat each other as sisters. Plus, it can come with the longer back story that Fluttershy fell from Cloudsdale to somewhere close to Ponyville and decided to live there, and Rainbow Dash followed because she wanted to be around her sister.

Update: I know it's unfair of me, because the rest of the Mane Six also sometimes behave like they're big sisters of Fluttershy. She just brings it out from everypony.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2016-09-14 at 03:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Although I'm more surprised that people are surprised. Has it really never occurred to some that maybe it was her big brother? It always seemed to me that both explanations were equally likely.
    I remember saying much at the time, that it could be also be uncle, brother - hell, young-looking grandparent, actually, now I think about it.

Also, Chengar will no doubt be amused, since of course Winningverse!Dash has two mothers and said incident was explained away as an uncle, I believe.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not really much of a scandal. We've never been given any context on who the other rainbow-mane pony is. Could of been Dash's neighbor across the cloud street for all the info we've been given. I think the fandom got too attached to their theory and forgot it was just a theory. Personally I'd of liked for that other pony to have been her dad, because it seems like a neat character-defining moment that Dash had a good relationship with her father (and that's probably biased of me to say, but I don't care).

Now watch, someone else on the staff says something different. :3

always thought Dash should be an only child (Fluttershy too, but that train came and went already)
    Agree on the idea of Dash being an only sibling, but I've always thought Flutters had a sibling somewhere.

Also, Applejack's parents are officially dead, it seems, and we may learn how it happened in the future? I'm curious how the show is going to approach that topic.
    Haven't they officially been dead before? I recall some of the higher up writers mentioning the very thing.

The two shooting stars in the Apple Family Reunion episode were meant to represent them.

I hope it turns out he's her uncle. There's not a single uncle in all of MLP.
    Oi, don't forget Uncle Apple Strudel.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-09-14 at 05:55 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

I have. He brought up a really good point: What Well To Do was doing was an act of war. Unless his mob goon had a weapon to his son's head (And there was no evidence of that in the comic), King Aspen should have gored the f***er right then and there.

I thought it was hilarious that his new roommate Viga (who is his fiance IRL) denying the existence of clop, only to back up and saying that it's "only on the internet".

All in all a good review, though as a very minor complaint, I was annoyed that his ponification on the title card had no cutie mark.
    And
    - why the vines don't attack the construction site even if can approach the border and smack someone? Maybe the forest took a page from Alpha Centauri's dealing with pollution, deep core mining, and a land mass destroying bomb.
    - if they like trees, why they build a city out of it?
    - seems that workers were coerced into building a park?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    And
    - why the vines don't attack the construction site even if can approach the border and smack someone? Maybe the forest took a page from Alpha Centauri's dealing with pollution, deep core mining, and a land mass destroying bomb.
    - if they like trees, why they build a city out of it?
    - seems that workers were coerced into building a park?
    Overall I found the story to be really weak. King Aspen's takeover of Ponyville is just as bad as the theme park construction taking the forest. Neither of them deserve the high ground here. They're both caricature extremes of "don't touch the forest" and "progress!", while the middle ground of "sustained forestry initiatives" gets left out in the cold. Didn't Ponyville spring up at the edge of the forest, using the lumber there for the construction? The forest doesn't seem to be hurting because of it.

I bet it's because decades ago, Aspen's father knew to fear the legend of Granny Smith, demigoddess of apples.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I think it's mostly because of S2 E22 and maybe S1 E16. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash seem to treat each other as sisters. Plus, it can come with the longer back story that Fluttershy fell from Cloudsdale to somewhere close to Ponyville and decided to live there, and Rainbow Dash followed because she wanted to be around her sister.

Update: I know it's unfair of me, because the rest of the Mane Six also sometimes behave like they're big sisters of Fluttershy. She just brings it out from everypony.
    I see. But why do include Scootaloo and Zephyr Breeze as part of their family? Or if I misunderstood you, why do you think those two are sisters?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Overall I found the story to be really weak. King Aspen's takeover of Ponyville is just as bad as the theme park construction taking the forest. Neither of them deserve the high ground here. They're both caricature extremes of "don't touch the forest" and "progress!", while the middle ground of "sustained forestry initiatives" gets left out in the cold. Didn't Ponyville spring up at the edge of the forest, using the lumber there for the construction? The forest doesn't seem to be hurting because of it.

I bet it's because decades ago, Aspen's father knew to fear the legend of Granny Smith, demigoddess of apples.
    It also fundamentally messes with the nature of the forest in the show, in a way that doesn't really enhance it.

That's really an issue with the comics in general, and a big part of why I stopped reading them. They tend to tack on things that are just fundamentally out of place, and are often less interesting than alternatives that could actually exist within the show's world. I've reached the point where I consider anything seen in the comics to be specifically anti-canon, even if the show itself never directly addresses it.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I see. But why do include Scootaloo and Zephyr Breeze as part of their family? Or if I misunderstood you, why do you think those two are sisters?
    Zephyr Breeze is the brother of Fluttershy. S6 E11, the episode that features Zephyr Breeze, is quite clear on this. Mind you, that episode also implies that Rainbow Dash is not their sister. Rainbow Dash has adopted Scootaloo as her sister since S3 E6.

17. - Top - End - #197

Today be like,
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Calls Restaurant A for catering - no answer, leaves a message*
    2. An hour later, calls again. Still no answer*
    3. Calls Restaurant B for catering. Puts the order through and will get confirmation email*
    4. An hour later, no email. Calls Restaurant B again*
    5. As phone rings out, Restaurant B is trying to call back*
    6. Confirmation email received via phone system as I answered call for B, verbally conforms order, gets call from Restaurant A in the middle of all this*
    7. flips table*

Long story short, I got catering for tomorrow and witness a phone traffic jam. Guess it was a little amusing in hindsight. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    It also fundamentally messes with the nature of the forest in the show, in a way that doesn't really enhance it.
    I do agree there. We went from Season 1's The Everfree will eat your children!! to the comic's Deer are pony elves! Is this not clever? Well, they're cute, but kind of in the same way parsley is presentable on a dish.

I miss Everfree being the dark, scary taboo Season One gave us. Where only one zebra dared live in there because she too was as creepy as the forest. Even the show made it a bit less scary in the later seasons... Also, what ever happened to the repair work being done at the old castle of the sisters? Feels like that project got dropped.

That's really an issue with the comics in general, and a big part of why I stopped reading them. They tend to tack on things that are just fundamentally out of place, and are often less interesting than alternatives that could actually exist within the show's world. I've reached the point where I consider anything seen in the comics to be specifically anti-canon, even if the show itself never directly addresses it.
    Like the second arc with the mooninites?

I did like the Return of Chrysalis arc. I mean, changelings, yay! Though the wuv kitties were a bit much. Eh, at least it became an amusing running gag in a Fallout Equestria podcast.

Though now that I think about it, the shorter stories that were more focused on just 1-2 ponies seemed to hit the mark better. Big Mac and the Zen of the Gazebo was one of the best ones.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #198

Griffon

I am somewhat impressed by how they managed to make an arc where Celestia falling in love with an alternate-universe version of Sombra was the least stupid part of it.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

The comics shoud be flat-out forbidden from trying to use Sombra in an form, since they are SO BAD at it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, pony thread, Darkspark, Bleakling, Feniseca and I-

Viv viv vivillion!

-have an interdimensional rendezvous with a man with a Darkrai.

*slaps Snake Launcher into palm*

And Darkspark...? Make sure you have your.... "held item."

Piiiiii KA!

*grabs communicator*

I'll teach you to hax Ash Ketchum, yer cheap bastard.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-09-14 at 06:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

I am somewhat impressed by how they managed to make an arc where Celestia falling in love with an alternate-universe version of Sombra was the least stupid part of it.
    I liked that arc. Nothing protects the canon universe like jumping into a parallel dimension and messing that one up instead. XD
    But really, it was good in my eyes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    The comics shoud be flat-out forbidden from trying to use Sombra in an form, since they are SO BAD at it.
    Seconded. But that's hardly limited to Sombra.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

I really ought to catch up on the comnics, but I'm so heavily wedged into a pokémon renaissance...

Mind you, I will have a BOATLOAD of pony fics to read by the time I'm done...

23. - Top - End - #203

Viva Las Pegasus teaser is up.

Spoiler: Uh huh.
    Show
    Is that supposed to be an Elvis impersonator? Clearly his clothes need to have 20% more sequins. ;)

At least it's a nice blurb to see the Mane6 get noticed once in a while for their victories.

It's Friday!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKFuXETZUsI
    I am not sure if Maui is fat but he look a bit stylized strong man.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

You ever have one of those days?

Tried W.i.t.c.h season 2 DVD set: quality so poor it's worse than finding a stream on youtube (seeing if I can get a refund...)

Though frack it, just watch Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea that I've had for cacking ages: DVD skips.

Tried to play it on PC: Spent twenty minutes finding DVd players, since Windows 10/Medium player didn't want to touch it.

*sigh*

26. - Top - End - #206

Good Morning Ponythread, time to put the moon away and start the day!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Tried to play it on PC: Spent twenty minutes finding DVd players, since Windows 10/Medium player didn't want to touch it.
    I use VideoLan to play all my DVDs. It has not let me down.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #207

NecromancerGirl

Good Morning Ponythread, time to put the moon away and start the day!
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's just too pretty to put away.

I use VideoLan to play all my DVDs. It has not let me down.
    That's what I use too, but it doesn't like Disney dvds. They always have a lot of stuttering and frame skipping for me.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    That's what I use too, but it doesn't like Disney dvds. They always have a lot of stuttering and frame skipping for me.
    I think it's something with the way Disney DVDs are made. They do some skipping even in the tv's DVD player for me (usually between chapters/scenes).

New Episode~
    Spoiler: Viva, Las Pegasus!
    Show
    It was an okay episode. Interesting that AJ's and Flutter's individual take on what they were sent for ended up working together, so that was kind of interesting. The highlight for me was all the background pony designs. So many huggable new ponies! I love that one orange pony AJ talked too, he looked like Scooter from The Muppets. Bet that's an allusion.

And word of the day: Applejackiest
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    I thought it was a decent episode, maybe not quite as good as last weeks but certainly enjoyable. I think what I appreciated most about the episode was the fact that it didn't reform Flim and Flam so much as point them at somepony that deserved it.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have very little to say. Here's an appropriate image
    Spoiler: not a spoiler
    Show
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC