New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World V

Jehoel smiles, ever-so-slightly.

"There's a reason that Las Noches deployed our own forces to match yours in number and location. What you're describing has already been occurring, slowly but surely. I agree, however, that formalization would help to speed the process. Voluntary contact between Shinigami and Arrancar operatives sharing territories is still unpleasantly low, and it is from those initial contacts that understanding is born. I will ready things on my side; I have a number of ideal candidates picked out already."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

"And you hold no objection to the second part of my proposal?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #63

"None. But even this will be seen as a fairly radical move. It will take time."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    The hug, Setsurou was ready for. The question, not so much.

He hesitated. This wasn't a responsibility he was ready to take on - not at this moment. But how could he explain that to a child?

He returned the embrace, gently stroking her hair.

"You... can. But you really shouldn't. I mean, we just met, Suguri-chan. A father is someone you love and trust to protect you and teach you.

I... don't lead a very safe life. I could die at any moment. And I don't want you to be sad if that happens..."

Katsurou smacked his grandson atop the head.

"You realize she is much too young to know the difference?"
    Suguri looked down at the ground and nodded.

"....My mommy and daddy are still alive," she said. "They're ... not here. I ... don't know anybody else here...."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

"Well then. Until such time as they arrive, you are welcome as a part of the Hishikawa family."

"If it makes you more at ease... I suppose it's okay to call me daddy." Setsurou concedes. "Grandfather..."

"I know, I know. I'm the one minding the family while you're busy as Captain. I'll make sure she's well-cared for."

Katsurou leaned in and offered a goofy smile.

"You can call me Grandpa if you like, too."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Suguri smiled and hugged Setsurou, then Katsurou.

"Okay, Grandpa," she said.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

"Right then. If I know my grandson, he probably offered you nothing but candy on the way here. Dinner will take a little while yet, and I did promise my newest grandkid a pony ride. Shall we?" Katsurou offered his hand.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah!" Suguri said, taking Katsurou's hand.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

It is a mere thirty minutes until dusk; the Hishikawa family dines early.

The stables are not far. It only has three ponies, but each one is a different breed and color. Since Suguri probably can't tell the difference between the breeds either, let's just say there's a black one, a caramel-colored one, and a white and brown one.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Suguri looked up at the ponies, a little intimidated by their size. She'd never seen a real pony before, the only ones she knew were pastel-colored and went on adventures every Saturday morning. She stayed close to Grandpa, just watching them for the moment.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

"Don't worry, I'm right here." Katsurou said with a smile. "Which one do you want to ride?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    "None. But even this will be seen as a fairly radical move. It will take time."
    "Is that the extent of your proposal?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

[Rukongai]
    (???)

Chouko sits up in a daze, rubbing her head as the buzzing of a hangover weighs on her waking mind. She's... in an empty stable stall, hay and dirt serving as her bedding.

Why.

Actually, no, she remembered she stopped asking what drunk Chouko decided to do in a blackout.

She doesn't see Hasunaga around, but couldn't hurt to check. "Hey young old guy! Hasunaga? You in here?" There's the snorting of a horse in another stall. "We didn't screw, did we? 'cos you didn't strike me as a guy for amputations or cyborgs!"

[Seireitei]
    (SSI grounds)

Prior to Koutarou jumping off to his sparring session, Momoka was following him quietly, standing in on the meeting with Castus, taking the various bits of information in. She gathered what Castus did, mind churning with the possibilities.

Speaking of which, the wallflower steps forward to address Castus after Koutarou leaves. It's almost as if she melded into the scenery. Did she use kyokko? Who can say.

"Vern. I'll not trouble you with questions, but I must say one thing before I leave." She's smiling calmly as usual. "Well played. Your plan worked quite well, and now we can spend time to recover and rebuild our government without outside interference. Which is a gift I hope we do not squander. I'm glad there are other capable members of this division who are not afraid to act." She gives a formal bow, and waits for a response before leaving.

She had things to catch up on.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

"Is that the extent of your proposal?"
    "For the moment, yes. It is not within my power to decide anything beyond that. If the terms of our two factions need revision, I trust we will both be open to negotiation."

[The stables]

As it turns out, yes, Hasunaga is around. He has since grown a bit since Chouko last saw him.

At least now he looks more like a teenager. He's nursing a bottle of sake, apparently.

"No, but you did try to make out with me a little." He states, deadpan. "Don't worry, I ain't one to take advantage of a drunken woman. It doesn't sit well with me."

He... doesn't sound drunk. Or maybe he's just one of those weirdly lucid drunks?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

"Perhaps. It will depend on the nature of the desired negotiations."

Jehoel leans up against one of the ropes holding the Sōkyoku, folding his arms over his chest. The heavy restraint leans ever-so-slightly under Jehoel's weight, but is more than up to the job of supporting him. A bit flippant, perhaps, but the old idiom about an exceptionally heavy gorilla most likely applies here.

"Now. I brought you up here for a reason, as I said. This was not a simple whim of mine. Koutarou, I am ancient beyond your comprehension. This isn't a statement of condescension or superiority; it's a fact. Nothing more or less. Someone of your age fundamentally cannot understand the perspective I have or the experiences I have gone through due to the difference in age. My view will always, without variation, be different from your own. Even if we come to the same conclusions on certain topics."

"I do not seek validation of my opinions. I do not care whether or not others share them. They are the product of millennia of thought, and of my life. This was never about trying to convert you away from your beliefs. You kept asking me what I wanted of you. What I was trying to do, what my agenda was. My only goal in this exchange was to teach. To impart some of what I have learned. And from the very beginning, you have utterly refused to even try to listen. To so much as attempt to see from my eyes. You've refuted objective questions with petty justifications. You've told me that my comparisons were wrong and then put words in my mouth or changed the subject when I showed their validity. Where I sought to share, you attempted to dominate and overrule. These are not the actions of a leader. They are the protestations of an idealogue."

"With sentience comes variation. No group of any real size will never reach a perfect consensus, never find a point where all beliefs are universally shared. That is not a problem. Beliefs that differ from your own are not inherent threats. Iron is hard, but it is inert, and shatters with enough force. A tree bends without breaking, grows, and spreads new life. If you had ever actually sought to understand me, if you had even tried to listen rather than tirelessly trying to assault every idea I showed you, you would know that I have never condemned your actions. Sparing Hollows, or imprisoning them in an attempt at rehabilitation would have been a costly and pointless experiment; from the eyes of a Shinigami, a Hollow is simply a mortal soul in pain. I understand that, and I do not disagree. That is an accurate perspective, but it is not the only perspective. And purifying wild Hollows is, in many ways, a noble pursuit. The existence of my perspective, and of other valid beliefs, does not endanger yours."

Jehoel's voice has remained almost entirely mild throughout the speech, despite the condemnatory nature of his words.

"Very few perspectives are entirely without merit. Erscheinung Von Geister, for example, is far kinder, and more empathetic, than I could ever be. But that same ability to connect and sympathize lends itself to an infinitely greater capacity for cruelty and vindictiveness than I am capable of. Hate is as anathematic to my nature as love."

"If all of this had simply been limited to rhetorical aggression, I would have let it go. However, you have shown rather thoroughly today that it is not so constrained. When words fail you, you immediately turn to bullying, threats, and outright violence to enforce your will. Wan Li Lin rejected an unlawful demand to seal his power and your response was open mutiny. To be clear, I am not castigating your choice to fight back. He, too, refused to negotiate, compromise, or listen. But those who seek to be leaders, exemplars worthy of following, must hold themselves to a higher standard than their enemies and detractors. And when Castus Vern didn't obey your orders, you turned to threats to get what you wanted. Particularly just following your own resistance against a superior about to make a mistake, such conduct is disgraceful to both yourself and your office. He refused to speak because of my presence, because the leader of a highly unstable ally was in the room, and the information you sought was critically important and could impact the safety of the Soul Society. You were so caught up in your outrage over his defiance that you revealed to me what he was trying to conceal, without realizing that he wasn't even targeting you."

"I have witnessed hundreds of paragons, of so-called 'heroes.' All of them claimed to serve justice, and act out of loyalty, honor, and other such high-minded ideals. Many of them would have been at each other's throats had they met. Who is just, then? There is no perfectly objective justice, no absolute good. Thus, it is not the end that justifies the means, Koutarou. It is the means that prove the ends to be righteous, that separate true benevolence from a hunger for power, no matter how well intended. And if you truly feel that it's necessary to achieve a goal, regardless of what must be done to accomplish it, then there is little shame to using methods that bend morality. But to claim that the nobility of your ends wipes away the sin of your means is beyond hypocritical. It's refusing to take responsibility for your own actions, to admit even the possibility that you might have been wrong, and that is a slope that can be very hard to climb back up after falling. Which you haven't, yet, but you're getting recklessly close to the edge."

Jehoel smiles, but the expression is cold beyond belief, blowing far past the mildly disconcerting aspect it usually has.

"But, there is a silver lining to all of this: if you continue down your current path, there will be a place for you as a model Espada in Las Noches when you are rejected by the Soul Society as a tyrant."

Jehoel's face fadesback to his usual, neutral expression. He holds up one hand.

"And before you start, I would advise you not to waste time defending yourself. I don't care, and I never have. I am not the one you need to justify yourself to. This was, honestly, nothing more than the advice of a very old man to a far younger one who seemed to need it. And you would do well not to dismiss my words out of hand. Think about what I've said. And try to remember: to make mistakes is a natural part of growth. There is no shame in them. It is how you choose to deal with errors that truly reflect upon you."

Finished, Jehoel turns away from Koutarou and begins walking towards the scaffold itself, and to the farthest extent of the cliff beyond.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2016-09-09 at 12:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Undoing his transformation, Koutarou listened. And listened. And listened.

He was, for lack of a better word, ashamed. Arrancar or no, Jehoel had a number of points. In many respects, he was right, and admitting that was far more painful than anything else the Commander-General could think of.

Because when he made mistakes, people died.

"I... I know.

I am a soldier, Jehoel. I do not know the finer points of leadership. In many ways, it was quite honestly sheer circumstance that has brought me to my current position. To be frank, I don't even know how I made it to Vice-Commandership.

There is much I lack, in knowledge, in experience. I cannot claim to know what is best for everyone, and this latest incident is the biggest proof I'll get in a while. So...

I've stopped thinking about it.

If my lot in life is to be rejected for trying my best, if my burden is to be unhappy to ensure that everyone else can smile... I can actually live with that. All I ever wanted, all I ever will want, is to make it so everybody has a shot at being the happiest they can be.

You're right, the ends don't justify the means. But they must be guiding principles. I will sacrifice no one's happiness but my own in order to achieve that goal.

And... not to put too fine a point on it..."
    Koutarou smiled sadly at his counterpart.

"...but not truly caring and offering advice are two things that are entirely at odds with each other."

The Commander-General turned to leave... and suddenly felt faint. Exhaustion, perhaps?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

As Koutarou begins to talk, Jehoel first stops, then turns around. At first, he says nothing. When Koutarou starts to feel faint, however, Jehoel closes the distance and extends one arm to steady him.

"Can you stand?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

It seems the Commander-General is rather exhausted, drifting in and out of consciousness.

When Jehoel closes the distance, he can finally see that Koutarou is a lot more injured than he let on.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Jehoel takes this in impassively. After a moment of deliberation, the Arrancar scoops Koutarou off his feet and blurs away. Soon, they are close to the Seireitei's main medical facility. Jehoel enters and gets the attention of one of the staff members, passing Koutarou off to people who are actually qualified to help him.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't worry, I'm right here." Katsurou said with a smile. "Which one do you want to ride?"
    Suguri looked at the ponies for a moment before pointing at the caramel-colored one. "That one," she said. "It's pretty."
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

"Not it, dear." Katsurou corrected. "That pony's a he."

The old man asks one of the servants to saddle up the caramel-colored pony before moving to help Suguri atop him.

"Now here, take hold of the reins. Not too tight. I'll guide him around for you, okay?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Suguri nervously let herself be guided onto the pony, clutching tight to his neck as Grandpa led the pony around. She looked down and clutched tighter, her tail lowering between her legs. That was a long way to fall, and that was scary.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

"You won't fall, Suguri-chan. If you slip, I'll put you back on the saddle before you even get the chance to blink." Katsurou notes reassuringly.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Seireitei, Soul Society]
    [Medical & Logistics HQ]
    Jehoel takes this in impassively. After a moment of deliberation, the Arrancar scoops Koutarou off his feet and blurs away. Soon, they are close to the Seireitei's main medical facility. Jehoel enters and gets the attention of one of the staff members, passing Koutarou off to people who are actually qualified to help him.
    Jehoel had just passed off Koutarou when he felt it. Or rather, felt him. A particular Captain, or at least his Reiatsu.

"What. Did. You. Do. To. Him."

Well he sounds unhappy. And is standing a few feet away, his bare torso and arms covered in scratches and cuts, still dusted with what looks to be...rock dust and sawdust? Captain Masaru definitely seems unhappy. And very focused on Jehoel. Hm. Maybe he's misunderstanding the situation?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

25. - Top - End - #85

Jehoel glances down at Koutarou, laid out on the gurney next to him, then back at Masaru.

"Beaten him unconscious, I would guess. He had taken worse damage from Wan Li Lin than was obvious."

Not exactly a respectful response, which is aggravated by Jehoel just walking towards the door when he finishes speaking, apparently no longer interested in the conversation.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"You won't fall, Suguri-chan. If you slip, I'll put you back on the saddle before you even get the chance to blink." Katsurou notes reassuringly.
    Suguri nodded, but she still clung to the pony's back for dear life.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Katsurou chuckled. "For the record, sweetie, it is much more difficult to lose balance atop a horse's back if your back is upright.
    Don't worry, this little fellow is trained to go slow."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Medical & Logistics HQ]
    Jehoel glances down at Koutarou, laid out on the gurney next to him, then back at Masaru.

"Beaten him unconscious, I would guess. He had taken worse damage from Wan Li Lin than was obvious."

Not exactly a respectful response, which is aggravated by Jehoel just walking towards the door when he finishes speaking, apparently no longer interested in the conversation.
    Masaru starts walking toward Jehoel.

"No, you wait just a minute here, Arrancar."

He catches up with Jehoel and actually dares to reach out and lay a hand on the Primera's shoulder (after referring to him as just "Arrancar", no less), and even tried to wrench him around to face him. He's, uh, probably not thinking clearly.

"You think you can just beat him unconscious and then head off like you own this place? I don't care if you're a "visiting dignitary", you don't just get free reign of the Seireitei like that."

Jehoel can probably read his mood well enough to know Masaru is spoiling for a fight, but holding back on account of all the lower-ranked folks around. Collateral, and all that.

29. - Top - End - #89

Jehoel is rather clearly not taking Masaru all that seriously. That said, he makes no resistance to being spun around.

"If you wish to escort me, I certainly have no objection. I merely assumed that an individual of your status had more important things to be doing than babysitting."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Medical & Logistics HQ]
    Jehoel is rather clearly not taking Masaru all that seriously. That said, he makes no resistance to being spun around.

"If you wish to escort me, I certainly have no objection. I merely assumed that an individual of your status had more important things to be doing than babysitting."
    Masaru's eyes narrowed a bit.

"You're mistaking me for someone who trusts you to be escorted by those who could not equal you in combat."

He reaches down and shrugs on the top part of his uniform, an orderly dashing over with the rest of his things (hat, haori, kimono, swords), which were quickly donned. Jehoel saw a couple of the Medical personnel give Masaru a look that said they thought he should not be leaving so soon, but with no Captain of MedLog, and with the current situations in Soul Society, none were willing to press the point.

"Now, where exactly did you wish to go to, Primera-san?"

His tone is marginally more polite, but only marginally.