New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

The goliath smiles at Hadrian when he sees him. It is not a pretty sight. "Agreed," Madclaw says to Abben. "We should bring these bodies with us. They were no doubt posted as advance sentries, and leaving them here will be more of an alert to our intentions than taking them with us. Also, if they have some regenerative capabilities, we should find that out on the way back. You never know with these types of things."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

So many questions with no obvious answers presenting themselves. Herlekin were from Hell, the first layer of hell Avernus if you are not mistaken. Where most of the fighting of the Blood War, an ancient war between demons and devils has been wagged since the dawn of time. So how was it even possible for these creatures to still be here, could there be a breach somehow inside the tunnels connecting the two planes of existence together, or something worse? All that is certain at this moment is the fact you are all very drained from this day, and if you do not rest no doubt you will never be able to solve this mystery.

Between Abben and Madclaw the two are quick to find a place relatively safe to sleep that was still close enough to the cave entrance that you wouldn't get lost finding it the next morning. A small little cave due west from where you had just come, and with a small lake close enough to fill your waterskins with. Its no wounder the dwarves had chosen this place as their base of operations with so many natural resources so close at hand.

Day 2

The entire night goes off without an incident, no doubt if anyone had gone looking for the missing guards they were looking for a torch or campfire to show them where their foe was, not expecting the ones who attacked them to be able to see in the dark for the most part. As you all awaken and prepare for the next day you can not help but notice the lack of the sounds of nature, the only sound able to be heard is the constant tapping of a pick on rock. And while it is still in the distance, it does seem closer than the night before when you all went to sleep, each taking a short shift overnight so that you could all get a much needed rest.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Studying his spellbook, Jonas is careful to choose reliable spells with no risk of the backlash he experienced yesterday. He is by nature averse to risk, and the lightning bolt from the blue has shaken his confidence.

Once satisfied, he rises and waits for the others to signal their readiness.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Is it assumed we're fully healed?
    Also, declaring that I'll use my immediate magic acf if I'm about to be hit by a melee attack today.

4. - Top - End - #94

Madclaw begins the day with his usual exercise routine, running and jumping and stretching out his muscle fibers so that they will be ready for use when the need arises. He drinks his waterskin empty and then refills it from the clear water nearby.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do not know how you deal with overnight healing, but I was going to expend my spell power to heal up the allies before we rested for the evening. I'll roll for that now -

Madclaw: CLW - (1d8+1)[4]
    Hadrian: CLW - (1d8+1)[9]
    Jonas: Heal 2 HP from two castings of cure minor wounds.

Abben arises at dawn, preparing his spells for the day in the hopes that he can better protect his friends this time around than last. So what today? He asks openly to the group at large.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hadrian goes through his morning meditation ritual, slowly ringing his bell as he attempted to focus.
    Spoiler: Focus
    Show

(1d20+6)[13]

"Well now we need to check out the mines." Hadrian said in answer to Abben. "All we know is that they may have come from there. We have now other clues to where they came from so we must clear the mines and stop whatever brings them to this world before they endanger anyone else."

7. - Top - End - #97

Madclaw's stomach growls. "We should gather some food while we're above ground," he says, realizing he'd forgotten to bring any rations. "Otherwise, If we're down there for more than a day, we'll regret it." Unless someone objects to the time it will take, he spends some time looking around for any natural food sources the dwarves might have utilized, including whatever living things might be in the lake.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14], take 10 if I can.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben nods at his brother, and takes a wider sweep of the area to forage. He held his sling out and moved as silently as possible, in case he came across any game to fill their breakfast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+9)[17]
    MS: (1d20+2)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonas thinks of the trail rations in his pack, wondering why he alone seems to have planned ahead. Still, he says nothing as the other men hunt and forage, reasoning that fresh food should be preferred while available. Perhaps if he had the skill of living off the land, he too would take this relaxed attitude to rations.

While they are alone, he asks Hadrian, "You realise that this may be a trap? The herlekin are devils, not ravening demons. They might be the merest soldiers, but they are part of a hierarchy, which has goals, plans, leaders directing each action to achieve a definite end.

"It seems they have attacked the mine, driven survivors to flee for safety. It is conceivable that they merely pursued them, not knowing their destination - but it is also possible that they deliberately allowed some survivors to flee, deliberately sent soldier devils after them, in order to trigger a premature response.

"Now, that may be paranoid of me - but from what I have read, assuming a devil is acting fake some nefarious scheme is more likely to be true than assuming it's actions are random chance."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

@Abben & Madclaw It is surpprising as the two of you go out hunting how little game you can find close to the cave, as if all the animals in the area moved away, to where you can not be sure though. A few tracks suggested a pack of wolves went in the direction of the town however that you both found as you went around gathering furits and berries for the most part. Madclaw catching a few fish for a quick morning breakfast for everyone with his brothers help.

@Hadrian & Jonas Alone to think about what you have learned so far you, and while it is not much the fact it seems the devils are coming from the cave is a popular belief shared between the two of you. However while one believes it to be a trap to lure others in, your friend believes it is simply an enemy to be defeated, find what was allowing the devils to cross into the prime, and destroy it. A simple plan against such a military style oppoenet could work. After all demons were creatures of chaos and thus the devils no doubt had adapted to fighting against such beasts. A foe striking at a target would no doubt prove much harder for them to track.

Spoiler: One more post
    Show
    After one more post I will continue the story to the group either heading back to the mine to see what happened overnight, or follow after the wolf pack trail that seems to lead back to the village.

11. - Top - End - #101

Then should we return to the village?" Hadrian said. "We lack the preparation and numbers to scour the caves and I suppose we can't be sure that whatever summoned them is still in the area. The mines were guarded which suggests there is something to guard but killing them caused no response. Perhaps they were the only two there."
    Last edited by Timble; 2016-09-25 at 02:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"No, I'm not necessarily suggesting we withdraw," Jonas replies. "As you say, we know nothing of their strength or disposition -we have nothing but my vague suspicions, which will not convince Abben or Madclaw to abandon those who might be trapped here. I just feel we should be on our guard."

13. - Top - End - #103

"A welcome point you make, no doubt," Madclaw says. "In truth I am unfamiliar with the nuances of this issue. Devil, demon, to me, they are just two sides of the same coin. If it is as you say and we are dealing with a hierarchical organization, I am very afraid that they seek to use this mine as a toehold into our world. Who knows how far underground they can dig and then tunnel up and strike any city unawares? This is a grave threat to our world that demands action. I only hope that the action we can perform is sufficient." he says, knowing of no other heroic sources that could help them.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

We can at the very least explore a short way into the cave, to see what we may find out, and then return to town with our findings. Abben suggests, trying to reconcile everyone's concerns.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2016-09-25 at 02:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding to return back to the cave, and not worry about the wolves at this time, you all finish eating the food gathered by the two brothers before heading back to the mines. An easy task given how perfect of a spot the two had picked the night before to camp in. As you all grow closer and closer to the mines you can clearly hear the sound of picks hammering away at rock, growing louder and louder the closer you get to the mine.

And as you get just within eyeshot of the mines it becomes clear why, with all the loud noise from the picks slamming against the rocky tunnel entrance the four pot bellied creatures have not seen you. From the looks of it they appear to be dwarves with long hair, however what happened to the devils from the night before that you were told were attacking the place? And why were they all seeming to hack away at the entrance of the cave, almost as if they were trying to make additions to the opening like guard barracks or something similar? Also why were they all dressed in a simple lioncloth like thing, with only bracers on their arms? Surely miners needed to wear more than that to be protected from falling rocks.

Spoiler: DC 15 spot check
    Show
    As you look closely you notice, hidden amidst the long hair two horns sticking out of the tops of each of these creatures heads.

16. - Top - End - #106

"These are not dwarves, they are devils," Madclaw whispers, pointing to his forehead where horns would be. "Unless dwarves have horns."Holding his quarterstaff in hand, he approaches as stealthily as possible, hoping to avoid attracting notice. If he is spotted, he will act very friendly and wave, as though he believes their ruse.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hide/Move Silently
    Hide: (1d20+3)[4]
    MS: (1d20+3)[5]

LOL 20, 1, 2
    Last edited by esorscher; 2016-09-25 at 09:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

"Are you sure?" Hadrian whispered. "I can't see anything unusual."
    Still, trusting in his friend, he summoned up a defensive power and attempted to gain focus. His ranged combat had failed and if he was to attempt to use his melee skills he would need his powers active.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Inertial armour.
    Gain Focus: (1d20+6)[8]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Duly forewarned, Joras casts Mage Armour and readies himself for the inevitable chaos of battle.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben saves his spell power, and instead prepares to rush in with his brother to battle the not-dwarves.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

@Hadrian & Jonas As you look on at the four creatures Madclaw is saying are devils, and that they have horns atop their heads you look back at the creatures in confusion, before turning back to Madclaw. He could be being paronied and seeing devil's everywhere after what happened the day before, however it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. And so the two of you focus on the abilities you had learned, whether through the enlightenment of a monetarist, or a school of magic.

For a brief second the image of a chain shirt made of pure magic surrounds Jonas, before vanishing from the sight of the untrained eye. However no doubt the effect was still there, whatever he had done, and just as powerful as it had been when it first revealed itself. For Hadrian it is much different as an aura seems to surround his body, and while it sheds light, it is no where near bright enough to alert anyone of your presence, all the while the monk kept his eyes closed trying to find his inner peace....

@Party

However just as Hadrian believed he had found it, Madclaws moving around wacks him in the back of the head with his quaterstaff on aciddent as he tries to pull himself out of a bush he got stuck in. It is at that moment two of the creatures turn around, having heard the disturbance and look around, finding Madclaw making his way through the bush with ease now, his brother not far behind him.

One of the two taps on the shoulders of his fellow workers and points at the two warrior brothers of old, walking up to the cave like they owned it, and nothing was going to stop them. However the other one was being much smarter as he lifted his pick up and seemed to tap the cave wall which caused a very loud word to be repeated over and over in infernal, the echos seeming to make the words louder than they already were.

Show
    Spellcraft check to ID what was used
    For those who speak infernal the word is Intruders!
    Knowledge the Planes check to ID the enemies
    Initiative please
    Also sorry tried to find an image of the creature but well its name makes that rather difficult.

So it seems Madclaw was telling the truth as these ugly fat devils seem to turn around. While they look much like dwarves with long hair from behind, as they now face you with their claw like hands, and hocked nose it is clear these creatures are not dwarves. Even their beards are more like wires coming off of their chin, though very long wires, still wires.

Map
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2016-09-26 at 09:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Forgot to roll these OOC, so:

Spellcraft (1d20+8)[13]
    Knowledge: The Planes (1d20+8)[24]

Jonas grits his teeth at what is obviously an alarm, and wonders briefly what possessed him to prepare two burning hands spells when facing devils - creatures notoriously immune to fire.

Still, there is little time to reflect as the situation swiftly dissolves into mayhem...

22. - Top - End - #112

The identity of these creatures matter little to Madclaw as he flies into a rage, then charges the right flank. These beings would pay for their crimes.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Rage, Pounce, Charge, TWF:

(1d20+7)[18], (1d8+6)[13]; (1d20+7)[20], (1d8+6)[14]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

@Madclaw Learning from the events of yesterday you do not hold back as you charge forward at these new enemies, your muscles beginning to bulge even greater than normal as the adrenaline in your blood kicks into overdrive as everything begins to take on a red hue. Charging forward, quaterstaff in hand, you reach the ugly looking dwarf like creature before it even had a moment to grasp what was going on, your staff slamming with so much force into the creature that you watch its jaw unhinge before it drops dead. However your second attack was already in full motion, and to late to stop as it continues it path, slamming the second beast with bone crushing force where the shoulder meets the neck. And with a satisified smile you watch as both collapse at your feet very much dead.

@ Party You had all heard of the feats of strength the brothers Madclaw and Abben were able to accomplish, however what Madclaw just did seemed impossible. Not only had he taken out a single devil in a matter of a few seconds, but he had killed two of them, with a stick. Imagine what an axe in his hands would be like for a poor tree.

Map

Spoiler: Initative
    Show

Madclaw & Jonas
    Devils
    Hadrian & Abben

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Drawing on his instinctive skill at enchantment, Jonas begins shaping the complex magic of a Sleep spell. It will be several seconds before it takes effect, but with luck, it should subdue a few of the creatures.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

@Jonas Sure Madclaw had his way of doing things, and you had your own as you begin softly chanting the words to a spell that would put most creatures under a magical sleep for a short period of time. It may not be as long term as Madclaws idea of putting them deep in the ground, however he was a brute, you were a practiceinor of the arcane arts.

@ The party It is clear that the devils that just watched Madclaw kill two of their allies with ease are unnerved by the goliath as they both look at each other and say something in that infernal language of theirs, pointing at Abben the entire time. Shaking their heads, they both lift their picks up and charge at the human brother, hoping to put some distance between themselves and the edevil slayer up above.

Spoiler: Devil 4 attack on Abben
    Show
    Attack 22 Damage 5

Spoiler: Devil 2 attack
    Show
    Attack 9 Damage 5

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Madclaw & Jonas
    Devils
    Hadrian & Abben

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Abben hops backwards, landing with his plant foot already digging into the ground to help stabilize before his attack. With his glaive, he attempts to throw the left-most devil to the ground so as to keep the threats of harm away from his less robust friends, and allowing Madclaw a clear channel to his next, still standing target.

He swings the hook of his weapon behind his enemy's knee, and if successful will attempt jam it into the devil's stomach.

Spoiler
    Show

Trip Touch Attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    Trip Strength Check: (1d20+13)[27]
    (if successful) follow up attack: (1d20+6)[23]
    If Crit, To Confirm: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[13]
    Crit damage: (2d4+7)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Moving closer to the nearest enemy, Hadrian once again tries to draw on his power. If he didn't get it this time he would have to go without it.
    Show

Focus: (1d20+6)[25]
    Moved one space up and one space right so should be just above Jonas and not adjacent to the foe.
    Hooray, I have focus.
    Last edited by Timble; 2016-09-28 at 06:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Moving to protect his fellow friends, Abben steps back, sqquaring his body off to make sure no enemy could pass him to get to his allies before swinging his blade wide at the creatures feet. Even though you have used this trick many times, no enemy has been able to stand against your powers as you feel the blade connect just behind the devils knee and pull with all your might. Unbalanced the creature tips over onto its back, where you proceed to jab into the creatures stomach, killing it instantly as you feel your blade hit the dirt on the other side of the creatures body, pulling the blades tip back out as black blood oozes from the devils now dead body.

Hadrian seeming to finally have found his focus in the heat of battle moves forward to help protect Jonas from any incoming attacks from the lone remaing enemy.

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Madclaw & Jonas (Keep in mind your sleep spell will go into effect this round)
    Devils
    Hadrian & Abben

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eyes closed, flickering behind the eyelids as though in deep sleep, Jonas tracks the flows of magic as they form a subtle web of soporific compulsion. His free hand directs a wayward strand into place, and he utters the last syllable of this most efficient enchantment.

Then, opening his eyes, he looks for a target...

Ah. It seems that, while he was distracted, the brothers have slain all but one of the foes. Slightly disappointed, Jonas sends the enchantment at the last of them and prepares to react quickly if it does not fall.

Show
    Sleep - Will DC15 or the last devil falls unconscious (and no doubt suffers a swift coup de grace from one of the brothers!)

Delaying the rest of my turn until just before the devil acts, to see what happens in the meantime.

30. - Top - End - #120

Madclaw waits for Jonas's spell before charging in, wielding his quarterstaff in both hands for a single powerful strike against the enemy, asleep or awake.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Charge, Rage: (1d20+9)[26], (1d8+9)[14]