New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

I'd not be surprised if she broke a few just hanging around. She's beastly strong and not quite up to speed on just how fragile we are. Also, she is a Quartz, and even if she loved humans, she might not love every human.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2016-09-28 at 08:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

i now headcannon that she saw some early human courtship or coupling at some point through one method or annother, got curious about it, decided to try it out herself, and inadvertently wound up killing and/or seriously hurting the lucky guy without even trying too. It's just too hilarious to not be true :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Been watching a bit of the show (what's on Hulu and what bits I can get from YouTube). I've seen a few theories about the background story of the show, and I was curious if my own personal blend made any sense.

Spoiler: A dumb fan-theory of the plot
    Show

The story begins with Pearl, as a decidedly competent yet unpopular member of the White Diamond court. Why unpopular? She thinks too much, making her an inattentive servant but a productive organizer. In a culture where role is paramount, not fitting the role makes you a pariah, even if a useful enough one to tolerate.

When Pink Diamond decides to make Earth her first colony, White assigns Pearl to Pink's entourage as her competence and experience would be valuable to rookie. Besides being a capable assistant, Pearl's transfer may have been a matter of matching personalities. It's suggested that Earth is Pink's first colony, but it may well be that Pink puts a priority on quality over quantity, devoting all her resources to cultivating the perfect colony rather than just planting them willy-nilly and seeing what works. Either way, as part of the court, she spends time with Pink's bodyguard, Rose Quartz (who, as many people point out, is clearly a quartz designed to be a courtier).

Pearl's time in the Pink court isn't much better than the White. She's a pearl, after all. She's not supposed to have an independent thought, much less an opinion, much less voice that opinion, much less voice that opinion in front of a freaking diamond. While others dismiss and mock her, however, Rose finds the ill-suited pearl fascinating, and the concepts of evolution and self-determination start forming in her mind. She spends an inordinate amount of time with the pearl, discussing and refining these concepts and Pearl, who by her design is utterly dependent on the approval of others, grows entirely devoted to the only gem to treat her as something new and wonderful rather than a defect to be barely tolerated. Between their conversations and their efforts on the planet, Rose becomes aware that the gems are... wrong. They are static, unchanging and in fact opposed to change, and that the Earth is a beautiful explosion of constant change, eternally evolving, never the same from one minute to the next. And that their colony would destroy this wonder to further a culture that sees anything new as an abomination. She starts to resent the colony plans and Pearl, in her hero worship, begins to follow suit.

Something happens next. The details are honestly unimportant. Possibly Pearl echoes one of Rose's sentiments to loudly in front of Pink. Possibly Pink goes just a little too far in her abuse of the "defective" pearl. Possibly Pink just stubbed her toe and called for Pearl to be shattered for the unthinkable crime of being the closest gem to her at the time. Whatever the event, Rose places herself between the two and everything she's been thinking of starts spilling out. Why do they have to destroy such a beautiful planet? Why does a gem with this pearl's talents get denigrated just because she's more than a pearl "should be"? Why are the gems, with all their beauty and power and knowledge, acting like the bad guys? Pink reacts to this challenge about as well as you might expect, and orders both of them to be shattered. They escape, and the rebellion begins.

To their amazement, Rose and Pearl find they're not alone. Other gems who don't feel they fit their designated roles join up as well. This includes Bismuth, who changes sides after Rose asks the simple question "What is it you want to build?". Questions such as that stoke fires in a number of disenchanted gems, and suddenly the rebellion isn't as one-sided as it seemed.

But there's one problem. Pink only has one planet. She has nowhere to go, and no laurels to rest on if Earth goes south. Pride and practicality won't allow her to quit. No matter how many battles she loses, she will never concede defeat. Pressed to make the hardest decision of her life, Rose shatters Pink - committing the ultimate sin in the hopes that it would be turning point to make Earth a free world, where gems could be what they are instead of what they were made to be. It didn't work out that way.

Yes, shattering a diamond had a massive impact on gem culture. It just wasn't the one she was hoping for. Rather than backing down with their bloody nose, the remaining diamonds retaliated, putting more and more of their resources into destroying Rose and her "crystal gems". Blue and Yellow Diamond personally invested themselves in the now all-out war, supported by the quartz soldiers only now arising from the Earth, too late to serve the diamond they were designed to. As the fighting grew to a frenzied pitch, so too did the fighters, transforming even generally nice gems like Bismuth into brutal warriors who were willing to cross any taboo in order to win the war.

Ultimately, the war simply wasn't worth it for the diamonds. They might have had superior numbers, but the crystal gems willing to invent and employ tactics and resources the diamonds weren't equipped to deal with. Including, with the creation of Garnet, the acceptance and use of heterotype fusions. They'd burnt too many resources on the war without satisfactory results. Once they came to this conclusion, they implemented a last-ditch tactic. Withdraw any valuable assets, use a corruption attack to render all remaining gems on the planet into animalistic monsters, and basically disavow the war had even happened. Earth just wasn't a suitable colony site after all. No, of course Pink Diamond wasn't shattered, there was no such gem to begin with. There's only ever been the three of us. You're not going to correct your diamond, are you? Rose only had time to shield the two gems closest to her and together they watched as every last gem around them, friend and foe alike, were corrupted.

After that, the story is pretty much transparent. The remaining gems take it upon themselves to capture and secure as many corrupted gems as possible, working to neutralize a threat they themselves were responsible for. Meanwhile, Rose's obsession with evolution and self-determination continues to grow, with her fascination ultimately expanding beyond the natural world and into humanity. And yet, despite being unnaturally open-minded for a gem, she is still unable to bridge the mental divide between gems and humans, viewing them as beloved pets rather than people. It's only when Greg, her latest dalliance with humanity, calls her out on the attitude that she starts to look at humanity in a new light. Not only were they living examples of her philosophy, they were exmplars of what she hoped gems could become: living, growing creatures that were free to define their own identities.

The end result is Steven. Not some legendary warrior destined to save the universe, not some secret weapon, but a proof of concept: an example of what gems were capable of, whose role and nature were things of his own choosing.

And at his side is the very pearl that inspired it all.

I know a lot of it is old ideas, but I haven't seen it fit together this way. Just curious if it makes sense.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I know a lot of it is old ideas, but I haven't seen it fit together this way. Just curious if it makes sense.
    Well, correct or not it's an interesting narrative. I can't see any point that goes against the (admittedly meager) evidence we have seen so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    One thing I would point out is Garnet's role in the rebellion. The impression I got from The Answer was that the Diamonds were winning the war: Blue Diamond was sent to deal with the matter (I assume that Pink had been shattered by this point) , and Sapphire's prediction to her was that Rose and Pearl would be captured and the rebellion ended. However, Ruby decided to buck fate and attempt to save her, and in the process produced Garnet.

Garnet was the game breaker that the Crystal Gems needed. Heterogeneous fusion produced a gem that was far superior to the sum of its components (unlike a homogeneous fusion, which is "just me, but bigger").

At this point the table turned. The Gems suddenly had a clear advantage and the fight became much harder for the Diamonds. We see Blue Diamond's palanquin abandoned (at least a drawing of it), so we know that Blue Diamond was attacked and defeated. She may have been destroyed or simply forced to retreat, surviving only because having shattered Pink, Rose has determined never to shatter another Gem again. (Her diamond remains in the modern Authority symbol whereas Pink's doesn't. The trouble is that we don't know why - or when - Pink was removed from the symbol.)

At this point the Diamonds decide to cut their losses. They might still be able to win, but the cost of victory is going up and up. They decide to call a retreat and nuke from orbit. (My impression of Centepeedle's story in Monster Reunion is that Yellow Diamond is the one calling the retreat and responsible for the nuke, but that's pure speculation.)

The retreat quickly becomes a rout, leaving a lot of Homeworld Gems behind.

When the dust settles (and with the Crystal Gems in hiding or recovering from the final assult) the Authority come back and start experiments in forced fusion, shattering gems from the mutants and forcing them together. They start the formation of the cluster and then leave it to grow, happy in the knowledge that the planet that caused them so much trouble was going to be wiped out.

The interesting thing from Centepeedle's account is that Pink has already been removed from the Authority symbol. The rebellion has been going on for long enough that she has not only been removed from the symbol (presumably deceased), but that Centepeedle is familiar enough with the change to use the new symbol when referring to the Authority. That suggests that there is no "cover up" about the loss of Pink - she was simply removed from the symbol on her demise. Pink may not be referred to in modern times, but that's quite natural. Past leaders do not come up in the conversation very often, after all.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #275
    Spamalot in the Playground

I just watched Frybo for the first time.

That was... probably the most dumb-funny episode they ever created and I'd totally watch it again.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

Here's a thought.

The corruption-bomb affected all the gems on Earth bar Rose, Pearl, and Garnet, right? So what about Amethyst? Was the really the only gem still in the Kindergarten?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Here's a thought.

The corruption-bomb affected all the gems on Earth bar Rose, Pearl, and Garnet, right? So what about Amethyst? Was the really the only gem still in the Kindergarten?
    Looks like it. The roll call for Gems as far as I recall is:

• Rose, Pearl and Garnet (Shielded by Rose)
    • Amethyst (shielded by virtue of still being within the Kindergarten)
    • Lapis (shielded by virtue of being poufed and attached to the mirror)
    • Bismuth (Shielded by virtue* of already being bubbled and stored ... somewhere ... I'm pretty sure that Lion didn't exist at this point - perhaps the Armoury (although there is a slight risk of Pearl finding her there))

Of course, we can't know for certain - It is a large world and individual gems would be hard to find when you only have a few searchers. However I think we can be pretty sure that the Kindergartens are clear unless some Gems escaped before the Crystal Gems searched them.

That prompts another question - do Gems hatch automatically or are they released at the "correct" time (or possibly both?). Is Amethyst "overcooked" because nobody was there to release her at the correct time and got released by accident. That would imply the possibility of more Gems like Amethyst, provided they left before the Crystal Gems got there.

* OK Virtue is not exactly the right word here...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by bestellen View Post
    Honestly something of note here is that Onion actually said words here. He spoke in whatever foreign language Yellowtail speaks in, but he DID speak.
    Didn't Onion also speak to his dad briefly in the episode Onion Trade?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Didn't Onion also speak to his dad briefly in the episode Onion Trade?
    He did and that's a bot and it literally stole the words I said in this thread hahahaha.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    He did and that's a bot and it literally stole the words I said in this thread hahahaha.
    Oh is it? Interesting that it survived since March.

Well then, have a totally awesome piece of humorous art~
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

New shorts were released, by the way.
    Spoiler: Video Chat Short
    Show
    Wait, how does Lapis not know what a video communicator is? They've existed on gem worlds since before the war (we know this from the moon base). She's actually used one before, in The Message. Is she just messing with Peridot?
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    Show
    Wait, how does Lapis not know what a video communicator is? They've existed on gem worlds since before the war (we know this from the moon base). She's actually used one before, in The Message. Is she just messing with Peridot?
    Spoiler
    Show

idk. maybe she didn't think humans had that technology or something?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    But Peridot fairly clearly states that it's her communicator. And Lapis's message was sent to Steven, a (mostly) human.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    *Shrugs* idk then. maybe it just reminded her of the mirror and she had a panic attack. most likely it was played up for comedy.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Her opinion of humans and human crap is pretty low. "I don't want to put that on my body" and "I don't want your garbage."
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Firbolg in the Playground

Five whole shorts! That's basically a whole episode! I mean, you know, it's not, but I'm getting a little desperate for my fix.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287

Show
    It seems to me that Lapis thought Steven was trapped in the screen like she was in a mirror. Funny little short. I like the Lapis/Peridot team. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Who has seen gem harvest?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

all i saw was a teaser clip for it. i'm saying nothing.

Have an AMV instead. the designations they gave each of the characters seems to fit pretty well IMO.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Greg is right, we need Lapis to DO something.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Who has seen gem harvest?
    I saw a short clip of it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

I am avoiding all trailers and spoilers until after I watch it on the day it broadcasts.
    I did watch the recent shorts though. 'Gem Karaoke' just gave me such a happy feeling. It's wonderful to see the way the relationships between the Gems have improved.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2016-10-08 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

*Looks around at the nothing to talk about because no new episodes*

... We could work together to flesh out gemsonas or something... i'm petty good at writing, so i could flesh out backstories.... Someone else would need to do the drawing though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294

Spoiler: Gem Harvest Clip
    Show
    Yeah, that's not gonna end well.

Poor Pumpkin dog's scarred for life.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Water Ice is technically a gem, but it is molten most of the time on earth because our planet is so warm. I wonder what Water Ice's personality would be?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

*Looks around at the nothing to talk about because no new episodes*

... We could work together to flesh out gemsonas or something... i'm petty good at writing, so i could flesh out backstories.... Someone else would need to do the drawing though.
    I'd be happy to try and help with the drawing. This is a Gem I did for a, sadly short lived, Crystal Gem forum RP.
    Spoiler: Halite
    Show
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2016-10-10 at 01:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I'd be happy to try and help with the drawing.
    Mind if i talk to you about it via PM? I may have brought it up on annother media in the past and i like to keep my identities seperate whenever possible.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Mind if i talk to you about it via PM? I may have brought it up on annother media in the past and i like to keep my identities seperate whenever possible.
    Sure thing. :) My response may take a bit, as I am about to head bedwards.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Sure thing. :) My response may take a bit, as I am about to head bedwards.
    yeah no problem.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300

I don't have a source but according to the wiki, Gem Harvest is going to be a 22 minute double length special like Bismuth was.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks