New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

I really liked that this Steven Bomb
    Spoiler
    Show
    made the Diamonds much more, if not empathetic, certainly understandable. Up until now they'd come across as pretty bog standard 'grr, evil' villains, which was a real shame, because the non-villain characters are just so exquisite. Seeing them like this, as people, people with immense power, but people still struggling to deal with immense loss and pain, really made them much more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #752
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I really liked that this Steven Bomb
    Spoiler
    Show
    made the Diamonds much more, if not empathetic, certainly understandable. Up until now they'd come across as pretty bog standard 'grr, evil' villains, which was a real shame, because the non-villain characters are just so exquisite. Seeing them like this, as people, people with immense power, but people still struggling to deal with immense loss and pain, really made them much more interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this, 100%. I've always thought the Diamonds where good, to be honest, but these episodes made them SO much more better. Yellow Diamond singing to Blue about how there's no use feeling bad about Pink being gone...and before she can finish the song SHE BUCKLES OVER IN EMOTIONAL PAIN AND JUST...HUMS THE SONG TO AVOID EXPLODING. Yellow's got ISSUES, yo.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this, 100%. I've always thought the Diamonds where good, to be honest, but these episodes made them SO much more better. Yellow Diamond singing to Blue about how there's no use feeling bad about Pink being gone...and before she can finish the song SHE BUCKLES OVER IN EMOTIONAL PAIN AND JUST...HUMS THE SONG TO AVOID EXPLODING. Yellow's got ISSUES, yo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They both do. Also, apparently we're back for the rest of the season to a regular weekly schedule~! At least that's what Wikipedia's Steven episode list says.

4. - Top - End - #754

Spoiler
    Show
    They both do. Also, apparently we're back for the rest of the season to a regular weekly schedule~! At least that's what Wikipedia's Steven episode list says.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blue is consumed with grief and sadness. Yellow, with FURIOUS ANGER. I wonder what White will be.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Blue is consumed with grief and sadness. Yellow, with FURIOUS ANGER. I wonder what White will be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, her emotions in general seemed to be rather repressed "What's the use of feeling, Blue". Anger was one of the few she allowed herself, but I wouldn't call it *furious* anger. Revengeful, retaliatory, but not 'furious' as such. When she was provoked, like by a certain Limb Enhancer-less Peridot, it could get hotter, but I still wouldn't call it 'furious' most of the time. I like how the Diamonds have more depth now while never letting you forget, especially with Yellow, though Blue too, she wants Pink's cadre preserved in her memory, not for their own worth as people, these are the villains.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2017-02-04 at 01:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yellow wishes to suppress her feelings(denial) and destroy everything that reminds her of pink(anger)

Blue can't stop crying(sadness) and tries to maintain everything left of Pink(bargaining.)

Neither of them seem anywhere near acceptance or peace.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #757

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, her emotions in general seemed to be rather repressed "What's the use of feeling, Blue". Anger was one of the few she allowed herself, but I wouldn't call it *furious* anger. Revengeful, retaliatory, but not 'furious' as such. When she was provoked, like by a certain Limb Enhancer-less Peridot, it could get hotter, but I still wouldn't call it 'furious' most of the time. I like how the Diamonds have more depth now while never letting you forget, especially with Yellow, though Blue too, she wants Pink's cadre preserved in her memory, not for their own worth as people, these are the villains.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take it from me, who had anger issues. When you're BUCKLING OVER and have to balance on nearby furniture and hum a song designed to keep you calm, you're furiously angry. It's her denial of it that is the problem though, she's trying to resist those feelings.

8. - Top - End - #758

I want a slice of life episode that's just Garnet, Opal, Stevonnie, and a hypothetical fusion of Lapis and Peridot just hanging out and being fusions.

Anybody else with me?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I want a slice of life episode that's just Garnet, Opal, Stevonnie, and a hypothetical fusion of Lapis and Peridot just hanging out and being fusions.

Anybody else with me?
    I'll only agree to this if the episode enforces the idea that Fusions are their own seperate people and not just their components piloting a larger body.

Having one of them have at least one moment of not wanting to un-fuse out of fear of non-existance would be a plus.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Having one of them have at least one moment of not wanting to un-fuse out of fear of non-existance would be a plus.
    Didn't we have a degree of that with Suglite?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

ehh, not sure. been awhile since i saw that episode. think that was more anger then fear
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty much every fusion except Malachite had been shown to be a separate entity from her/their components. You know, what with the being different voice actors and stuff.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #763

Spoiler
    Show
    I would love for White to be Veronica from Better Off Ted.

"It's like my feelings are itchy. I think it's an emotion, like "joy" or "spicy food.""
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Biohacking has gotten so big, people are starting to develop super powers just like on this show.

I do hope, though, that all the rose quarts get rescued from the zoo.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2017-02-05 at 01:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been mulling over a theory on exactly this for a little while.
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    The show has two groups of three characters mourning for their lost fourth: the Diamonds and the Crystal Gems. I suspect they are having fundamentally the same reactions, with the big difference being that Steven's influence is helping the Crystal Gems to avoid the most unhealthy expressions of that grief.

Now, this first pairing is going to sound weird, but I think it's the strongest parallel: Yellow Diamond and Amethyst. They're both trying to avoid the grief. Yellow Diamond is throwing herself into her work, while Amethyst is trying to drown it out with fun, but it's merely different approaches at the same tactic. More notably, when it fails, they get angry at themselves for feeling sad(and often follow up by turning that anger towards others). We see this in Maximum Capacity: Amethyst's meltdown is, at heart, about how much she misses Rose. It's also a great example of how Steven helps, because he can stand up to Amethyst and tell her that no matter how hard it is to deal with, she has to. He brings her back to reality when she starts to go overboard; there's nobody to do that for Yellow, so her destructive anger is going unchecked.

Blue Diamond, then, pairs with Pearl. Both are perpetually on the edge of tears, and both are trying to preserve the legacy of their loved one. There's again a bit of a split in that Pearl is mostly trying to embody Rose's ideals while Blue is trying to protect Pink's things, but those actions come from the same instinct. And Pearl does go after things sometimes, like in Rose's Scabbard. And again, there we see Steven helping, by comforting her when she needs it and listening when she needs to talk. By grieving with her, he takes some of the weight off of her shoulders and helps keep her from being overwhelmed. Blue doesn't have that; instead she has Yellow adding to the burden by telling her it's wrong to feel sad.

So next up is Garnet/White Diamond. And here's where the theory starts to run into low information problems, because we haven't really gotten a deep dive into Garnet's mourning strategies. But we do see the other Crystal Gem's mourning strategies in their interactions with Steven; Amethyst's playfulness and Pearl's overprotectiveness are both reflections of their grief. So we look at Garnet's interactions with Steven, and see that she is near-unfailingly supportive, especially when he's motivated by compassion, as in Monster Buddies and Monster Reunion. She wants him to be kind, and brave, and gentle, and confident. In short, she wants him to be like Rose. And in An Indirect Kiss, Garnet is the one who assumes that Steven will have healing tears, like Rose did. I suspect, that somewhere in the back of her mind, at some point, she believed that if she raised him right, she'd get Rose back. Now, as caring and perceptive as Garnet is, that belief would almost immediately melt under the onslaught that is Steven being Steven.

But what if someone had that same instinctive reaction to grief-that same tendency to look for a way to get their lost loved one back-but didn't have the empathy, or was willingly blinding themselves to the idea that different people are different. This is where I think White Diamond might fall. I suspect that she's trying to recreate Pink Diamond. Remember, gems are manufactured beings. White Diamond might have fooled herself into thinking that if she just mixes the right ingredients, then injects them into the right chunk of ground, then Pink Diamond will pop right out. Of course, we know that's never going to happen. But to White Diamond, anybody who pops out and is different from Pink in even the tiniest way is just a manufacturing defect, and can be quickly disposed of in favor of the next experiment.

16. - Top - End - #766

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    I've been mulling over a theory on exactly this for a little while.
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    The show has two groups of three characters mourning for their lost fourth: the Diamonds and the Crystal Gems. I suspect they are having fundamentally the same reactions, with the big difference being that Steven's influence is helping the Crystal Gems to avoid the most unhealthy expressions of that grief.

Now, this first pairing is going to sound weird, but I think it's the strongest parallel: Yellow Diamond and Amethyst. They're both trying to avoid the grief. Yellow Diamond is throwing herself into her work, while Amethyst is trying to drown it out with fun, but it's merely different approaches at the same tactic. More notably, when it fails, they get angry at themselves for feeling sad(and often follow up by turning that anger towards others). We see this in Maximum Capacity: Amethyst's meltdown is, at heart, about how much she misses Rose. It's also a great example of how Steven helps, because he can stand up to Amethyst and tell her that no matter how hard it is to deal with, she has to. He brings her back to reality when she starts to go overboard; there's nobody to do that for Yellow, so her destructive anger is going unchecked.

Blue Diamond, then, pairs with Pearl. Both are perpetually on the edge of tears, and both are trying to preserve the legacy of their loved one. There's again a bit of a split in that Pearl is mostly trying to embody Rose's ideals while Blue is trying to protect Pink's things, but those actions come from the same instinct. And Pearl does go after things sometimes, like in Rose's Scabbard. And again, there we see Steven helping, by comforting her when she needs it and listening when she needs to talk. By grieving with her, he takes some of the weight off of her shoulders and helps keep her from being overwhelmed. Blue doesn't have that; instead she has Yellow adding to the burden by telling her it's wrong to feel sad.

So next up is Garnet/White Diamond. And here's where the theory starts to run into low information problems, because we haven't really gotten a deep dive into Garnet's mourning strategies. But we do see the other Crystal Gem's mourning strategies in their interactions with Steven; Amethyst's playfulness and Pearl's overprotectiveness are both reflections of their grief. So we look at Garnet's interactions with Steven, and see that she is near-unfailingly supportive, especially when he's motivated by compassion, as in Monster Buddies and Monster Reunion. She wants him to be kind, and brave, and gentle, and confident. In short, she wants him to be like Rose. And in An Indirect Kiss, Garnet is the one who assumes that Steven will have healing tears, like Rose did. I suspect, that somewhere in the back of her mind, at some point, she believed that if she raised him right, she'd get Rose back. Now, as caring and perceptive as Garnet is, that belief would almost immediately melt under the onslaught that is Steven being Steven.

But what if someone had that same instinctive reaction to grief-that same tendency to look for a way to get their lost loved one back-but didn't have the empathy, or was willingly blinding themselves to the idea that different people are different. This is where I think White Diamond might fall. I suspect that she's trying to recreate Pink Diamond. Remember, gems are manufactured beings. White Diamond might have fooled herself into thinking that if she just mixes the right ingredients, then injects them into the right chunk of ground, then Pink Diamond will pop right out. Of course, we know that's never going to happen. But to White Diamond, anybody who pops out and is different from Pink in even the tiniest way is just a manufacturing defect, and can be quickly disposed of in favor of the next experiment.
    You have no idea how much I want this to be true. It makes so much sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yellow is focusing on awful, violent things to feel better, contrasted with Amethyst's enjoying the life she was given. Blue is focused on the things Pink owned, while Pearl is fully dedicated to Rose's thoughts, another fantastic contrast. White and Garnet also have a great contrast as well, going by your theory. White wants to recreate Pink...and Garnet is coping by accepting the new life that Rose gave. One focused on the lost, the other on the gained.

17. - Top - End - #767

Spoiler
    Show
    What if the Fusion Experiments were done to find away to unshatter shattered gems with the intent of resurrecting Pink Diamond?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

You have no idea how much I want this to be true. It makes so much sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yellow is focusing on awful, violent things to feel better, contrasted with Amethyst's enjoying the life she was given. Blue is focused on the things Pink owned, while Pearl is fully dedicated to Rose's thoughts, another fantastic contrast. White and Garnet also have a great contrast as well, going by your theory. White wants to recreate Pink...and Garnet is coping by accepting the new life that Rose gave. One focused on the lost, the other on the gained.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah thats pretty much my theory to- also White Diamond might be wasting all of Homeworld's Resources on trying to recreate Pink Diamond. Suddenly, the reason why White Diamond is allowing Gems to be produced at lower quality would make sense. It wouldn't matter to her if the Second Era Gems were of lower quality as long as she can get Pink Diamond back perfectly. That and given how Gem castes work, the Diamonds might actually consider having four Diamonds more important than having good quality Gems throughout all of society.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, here's a thought. We know from way back that Yellow Diamond wanted the Earth destroyed. But she also wanted a weapon.

Given that the remainder of the rebellion is, apparently, all on Earth, any clue who she was planning to use it on?

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Hey, here's a thought. We know from way back that Yellow Diamond wanted the Earth destroyed. But she also wanted a weapon.

Given that the remainder of the rebellion is, apparently, all on Earth, any clue who she was planning to use it on?
    Look at it. Give it a nice pet. There's always been this sort of implication that other aliens exist so maybe it's for that.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Look at it. Give it a nice pet. There's always been this sort of implication that other aliens exist so maybe it's for that.
    Has there? Hm.

It would make sense, I guess? Given the Gem's imperial militaristic mindset, the disdain for "organic life" in general, there might be. But they are few and far between if at all, and we don't know how much are still alive after 5000 years of who knows how long the Gems have been conquering and colonizing- those murals we saw of the Diamonds controlling planets? Outdated by about 5000 years. Their empire has probably grown much bigger in the mean time.

Though it makes me wonder what Yellow Diamond could possibly see as a threat that they need a planet-destroying monstrosity to combat. Especially since the Gems are a near-immortal race of beings who tech already verges on magic and terraforms things on planetary scales, with powerful fighters no normal human can hope to match. As well as what the point of such a big threat would be in the show. It would take quite the threat to top the already near tier-3 civilization of the Gems. Which is tough to imagine for me.

An alternate explanation might simply be Yellow Diamond being ambitious- if she had the Cluster as a weapon, it would cement her as being the most powerful Diamond and thus have more political pull and thus make her the leader. I can see why she'd want that for obvious reasons.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Has there? Hm.

It would make sense, I guess? Given the Gem's imperial militaristic mindset, the disdain for "organic life" in general, there might be. But they are few and far between if at all, and we don't know how much are still alive after 5000 years of who knows how long the Gems have been conquering and colonizing- those murals we saw of the Diamonds controlling planets? Outdated by about 5000 years. Their empire has probably grown much bigger in the mean time.

Though it makes me wonder what Yellow Diamond could possibly see as a threat that they need a planet-destroying monstrosity to combat. Especially since the Gems are a near-immortal race of beings who tech already verges on magic and terraforms things on planetary scales, with powerful fighters no normal human can hope to match. As well as what the point of such a big threat would be in the show. It would take quite the threat to top the already near tier-3 civilization of the Gems. Which is tough to imagine for me.

An alternate explanation might simply be Yellow Diamond being ambitious- if she had the Cluster as a weapon, it would cement her as being the most powerful Diamond and thus have more political pull and thus make her the leader. I can see why she'd want that for obvious reasons.
    it's a longeshot but a freind of mine came up with an idea for a sub-set of Gems called "Ores" based off of metals and the like.

So maybe there's annother equally powerful race of beings simmilar and perhaps related to Gems like that. You get Irons and Steels fighting the wars, Coppers and Tins provide support while fusing to become Bronze's, Golds serve as high-ranking officals, Titanium or Uranium could be the equivilent of a dimond maybe, etc.

i mean, it's probably NOT that. But it'd be neat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hope not, that's dreck.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Phobia just took you to The Burning Room Draconi. Damn.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Metal Men vs. Gems. I can dig it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Metal Men vs. Gems. I can dig it.
    What you did. Its there, and I can see it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Phobia just took you to The Burning Room Draconi. Damn.
    uhhh... Well... no?

i mean, it's nothing more then a peice of fan-fiction i didn't even make. i'm just saying something LIKE that could POSSIBLY happen to give homeworld an enemy to fight.

i really don't care.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

I'd immediately drop the series if they pulled such a derivative and creatively bankrupt idea.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also really no more dreck than the idea of sentient shapechanging rock people.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Except it doesn't really add anything new. It is, as said, derivative. That's the best word for it. It's not just fan-fiction. It's stock standard fan fiction, not building on a work but taking the original idea of the original work and tweaking it just enough to look different but it isn't. It also doesn't make any sense considering that Bismuth is a metal, Bismuth is a Gem. Pearls are gems, Pearl is a Gem. Gems are obviously not just actual gems.