New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

You're all right, Pearl would be a terrible leader. Which is why it would be a fun direction for the character's growth. Also she's had no practice at it, in thousands of years of being a Crystal Gem it doesn't seem like she's taken much initiative, but she does have the ability to learn new things. Anyway I didn't mean she should depose Garnet, just that she could take the lead in something, like space exploration or human outreach (OK that's kind of Amethyst's job right now).

Which Gem am I like? My wife says she's like Peridot, in that she "followed every rule", and now she's had it with that. I would say that I'm like Garnet or even Sapphire in that people misread me. They "think I don't care!" as Sapphire cried.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    If Garnet had not been around, maybe Pearl would have become the leader instead, considering Amethyst was (and still kind of is) basically a child. But without Garnet there to pick up the pieces, I don't think Rose would have allowed herself to pass on and give birth to Steven in the first place.
    Another thing to remember that the events we are seeing are the 15-odd year tail-end of several thousand years of story. For us, 15 years is a long time; for the Gems it is almost an eye-blink. Nostalga for the Suburbs? They have only existed for - what - 70 years? Up until 15-odd years ago, Rose was their leader. That's like yesterday to them.

As to Rose not having Steven if it would leave them without a leader, I'm not sure... The rebellion is over for them, they are just picking up the pieces afterwards. Perhaps Rose's logic was that they don't need a leader for that, and there were good reasons for having Steven. We know so little about Rose's motivation beyond the fact that she clearly loved Greg and wanted to create a child.

Yes, there was the possibility that Homeworld would return, but they hadn't for some 4000 years and provided the Galaxy Warp was down the Gems felt reasonably safe.

In fairness to Pearl in these arguments, I think if she had to be leader she would give it her best - in Rose's memory if nothing else. As to how well she would do?

Well, she has come a long way since being "just a pearl". As Snowbuff points out, she has does have experience and knowledge (as does Garnet), so she would likely do well while just dealing with Earth. However, I don't think she would do so well when it comes to leading a battle with Homeworld, and all the way through she would be fighting crippling self-doubt because she will still see herself as "just a pearl"
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Sugilite have future vision?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    I've spoken about this in the last thread. If she does, it's degraded, or by its nature it's useless against someone who can come up with good strategies, as it's more of a set of guesses than predicting the future.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Future vision seems to be modified by the people you mix with. Sapphire on her own can see a single pathway, the most likely result of a situation. With Ruby added in, she sees a myriad of possibilities based on her ability to take action.

My headcanon, which I should stress has absolutely no proof behind it, is that Sugalite's future vision only shows her whatever the most successful outcome of every situation is, being fueled by and reinforcing her need to constantly take action and DO SOMETHING.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

That raises an interesting question:
    Could Sardonyx display Saphire's future vision using Pearl's hologram powers?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

That raises an interesting question:
    Could Sardonyx display Saphire's future vision using Pearl's hologram powers?
    Sardonyx's future vision manifests as seeing outside the fourth wall
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

If Garnet fused with another sapphire, would it still be garnet?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

If Garnet fused with another sapphire, would it still be garnet?
    That is an interesting question.

Do you think the results would be different if Garnet defused, the two Sapphires fused, and then Ruby and MegaSapphire fused?

Ruby+Sapphire+Other Sapphire would probably have a different personality to Garnet, but maybe not that much different if most Sapphires are similar.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2016-09-10 at 03:28 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't wait till questions like that are addressed. Likely way in the future when Pearl and Steven fuse.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think it matters the order in which gems fuse, you always get the same result, as the fusion's gem type seems to be determined by the component gems (at least according to Smokey Quartz)

That, and how Ruby described the all-Ruby fusion ("me, but bigger"), I'd say that Garnet fusing with another Sapphire would just be Garnet, but bigger. If Sapphire fused with a different Ruby, you'd get a Garnet, but not our Garnet, because they're relationship would be much different.
    I make music

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

There comes a point where it would get a bit muddled though. If Sapphire fused with all 6 rubies, it would probably be a very lop-sided Garnet that came out of it.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Probably. And the "me, but bigger" comment doesn't really mesh of what we've seen of the Ruby Squad. They all have such unique personalities that the fusion can't just be them, but bigger. I wish we got more character for the Ruby fusion, it would definitely answer some more questions.
    I make music

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

We have already seen a different Ruby and a different Sapphire fuse into a different Garnet. It was in a flashback 6000 years ago.

The garnet there was very, very different from the Garnet we know and love. Ruby and Sapphire were different, and Garnet was different, so at the very least we can tell that if the component parts change, the fusion also changes at least that much.

It doesn't answer ALL the questions, but I think a fusion between the cotton candy Garnet and the modern-day Garnet would be at least a good starting point when considering Garnet fusing with a different Ruby or Sapphire.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Those... were the same ruby and sapphire though? That garnet eventually became the one we know today.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Garnet in the past is very similar in form to Garnet today, and we know that Gems have a degree of control over their appearance. Amethyst shows a huge degree of polymorphism in one episode, although she mostly sticks to the same colour scheme - and these were regenerations out of the gem, not simple shapeshifing. Of course, shapeshifing and polymorphism are Amethyst's area of specialty, so it's kind of expected in her case..

The main differences in the two Garnets are the colour scheme, the curves have tightened up a little and the hair is more blocky (and the visor, of course). It looks like a re-skin than a completely new form. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Garnet thought the original form was a little sloppy (after all, it was literally thrown together on the spur of the moment...) and tidied it up in a later regeneration.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

But then would Ruby+Ruby+Sapphire be the same as just Ruby+Sapphire?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

But then would Ruby+Ruby+Sapphire be the same as just Ruby+Sapphire?
    Ruby+Ruby= Bigger Ruby

Bigger Ruby+Sapphire = Garnet, but more Rubyish

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Probably. And the "me, but bigger" comment doesn't really mesh of what we've seen of the Ruby Squad. They all have such unique personalities that the fusion can't just be them, but bigger. I wish we got more character for the Ruby fusion, it would definitely answer some more questions.
    I think those fusions are supposed to represent something like a military bond or something like that- just another worker, everyone sharing the same opinion, everyone doing the same thing as a job, and while that is a relationship, its often not the most personal or interesting relationships in the world. thus the bond is a little impersonal, because its just like five soldiers working together- them but bigger. which is the entire ethos of a military: hammer out all the individuality of the common troops so that they work as one unit. its not bad, but its not all that great either. Fusions seem to take what people have in common and make it the primary traits of the fusion: the Ruby squad has gullibility and following orders all in common. thus Big Ruby is really gullible and follows orders. but it feels like its just Ruby but bigger, because well....they are designed that way. much like a soldier is trained to work with other soldiers, but that isn't the same relationship as lovers.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post

Those... were the same ruby and sapphire though? That garnet eventually became the one we know today.
    Basically, I think the memories of the last 6000 years are more important than who they were born to be. Since the Ruby and Sapphire from that episode have not experienced what Garnet has experienced, I basically see them as totally different people. Thus, I think that the Garnet they form is just as far from the current Garnet as a fusion of a random Ruby and a random Sapphire would be. Gem placement aside, obviously.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Basically, I think the memories of the last 6000 years are more important than who they were born to be. Since the Ruby and Sapphire from that episode have not experienced what Garnet has experienced, I basically see them as totally different people. Thus, I think that the Garnet they form is just as far from the current Garnet as a fusion of a random Ruby and a random Sapphire would be. Gem placement aside, obviously.
    What makes you think that the components of a fusion don't experience what the fusion does? I think Stevonnie alone clearly shows that to be false.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    What makes you think that the components of a fusion don't experience what the fusion does? I think Stevonnie alone clearly shows that to be false.
    I think you've completely misunderstood what the poster you're quoting meant.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

to be fair, i can't quite understand it either...

are you saying that... every time ruby and sapphire fuse, they become a completely different garnet or something?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

...Guys.

You're aware that people change over time, yeah?

And that six thousand years ago, Garnet didn't have the memories of the past six thousand years, because they hadn't happened yet?

Right?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Basically, if you took Ruby and Sapphire as they are now, and compared them to Ruby and Sapphire as they were 6000 years ago, you may as well be comparing them to any random Ruby or Sapphire.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Basically, if you took Ruby and Sapphire as they are now, and compared them to Ruby and Sapphire as they were 6000 years ago, you may as well be comparing them to any random Ruby or Sapphire.
    Not trying to be rude guys but I have aspergers and even I understood that, though the phrasing was odd.

Anyways I'd agree, if you compared me to myself even five years ago I wouldn't even vaguely resemble the same person, I couldn't imagine you could even recognise them past name after six thousand plus years.
    Last edited by MorgromTheOrc; 2016-09-11 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    I'd kill to own a sourcebook for this: Over 9000 pages, mostly filler.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MorgromTheOrc View Post
    Not trying to be rude guys but I have aspergers and even I understood that, though the phrasing was odd.

Anyways I'd agree, if you compared me to myself even five years ago I wouldn't even vaguely resemble the same person, I couldn't imagine you could even recognise them past name after six thousand plus years.
    Most of us are autistic on this forum.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thank goodness I'm in the right place then
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    I'd kill to own a sourcebook for this: Over 9000 pages, mostly filler.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MorgromTheOrc View Post
    *highfive*

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

I've been told I'm on the spectrum (Aspergers, natch considering my parentage), but I'm more apathetic than unaware.

The good news that cartoons are good for people on the spectrum.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.