New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King's Road IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default King's Road IC

For years and years beyond count, past even the memory of the long lived elves, the King's road has lain dormant. The dwarves who kingdom it once crossed driven to the surface by their enemies long forgotten. It was but a curiosity to the humans and a distraction to elves. For an age is simply waited.

Now that wait is over. That which lies dormant under the mountain stirs. A new age begins.

In the city of Iseheld there is has been word put out for those who wish to seek fame and more importantly fortune should schedule a meeting with the Whitehaven representative Rodric Ironbeard in the merchant district. You are such men. The Whitehaven group as gained a noble title and with it the Eastern end of the King's road. They have announced their intent to reopen the King's road to trade, connecting the cities of Iseheld in the east and Shornfade in the west. This venture is as potentially proffitable as it is dangerous and it was with great surprise the first Whitehaven caravan made the journey crossing the expanse of 14 days of dark.

That was a month ago. Things have not gone smoothly. Over ten caravans have crossed the King's road in both directions. Three more attempted the trek and failed to make it to the other side.

That is where you come in. In specifically to a nice but rather simple adorned waiting room. It is much more the hall of a merchant than a noble, seeking comfort over luxury. Long comfortable benches run along both sides of the long room. The receptionist, a nice dwarven lady, sits at the far end behind a desk. She greets you pleasantly and bids you seat yourself.

"Representative Ironbeard is currently in a meeting running late. Please be seated, the rest of the prospective group should be along shortly. Once all have arrived I will let him know you are here."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: King's Road IC

Patrick Club sit on the chair.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Selkie, the gold-scaled Kobold, arrives second after the strange Drow man, almost slipping through the door unnoticed due to her tiny size. She'd heard about the King's Road and the huge history around it, but none of her family except, maybe, those who were 'Dragonwrought' had any knowledge whatsoever of what the King's Road was- normal Kobolds aren't renowned for their long lifespan. She'd also heard that there were a lot of shinies to be found if she takes this up. She wasn't interested in the fame, just the fortune! Maybe make friends with the other applicants, too! Who knows. She stares up at the Dwarf receptionist and, looking quite happy that she's managed to find the place and meet a few already-nice people, attempts to get onto the chair she was directed to.

It was a valiant effort, and she succeeds after a minute of trying. She sits rather weirdly, too, but hey, she's a Kobold, can't blame her, even if she HAS adapted to normaly society. Waving at Patrick momentarily with her clawed hand, she scans the room, green eyes flicking left and right in an attempt to check for cool stuff, and considers the woman's talk of this Ironbeard person. The kobold attempts to recall the name, anything associated with him, maybe how she can convince him to pay her a few extra shiny baubles and the like... sounds fun! Aside from that, she eagerly watches the door for the next person to come in. Maybe it'll be another person she knows? Course, she didn't know Patrick very well, but well enough!
    Am happy into of beings here! Haelo, Pat-rick.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Take 10 on Spot, of course, for things shiny or otherwise (but especially shiny)
    (1d20+2)[19] Knowledge Local for knowing this 'Rodric Ironbeard'- what makes him tick, what's he like?
    Hi, I'm Linken.
    I make mouse-drawn stick-figures in a 100x100 square in Microsoft Paint.

Spoiler: Here's one I made earlier.
    Show

If you want one, ask.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick notices the small Kobold. He spoke to the small kobold. Patrick: "Hello. I guess you 'very heard about the King Road as well I assume? "
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2016-09-06 at 10:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Selkie quickly nods, looking quite excited as her eyes dart around. Yes!! Have heard lots of shinies and will be getting paid lots so am of goings to halp! You is here too? What will contribute? Have not seen doing many fighty things.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick: I don't know what's in store for us but I've a feeling that this may be a major and long adventure.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The door burst open to reveal the great storm clouds congregating above; a rather surprising turn of events, as the skies were deep blue as the sea this morning. A heavily built figure clad in a black hood and soot-stained boots approached the receptionist with a sharp Scythe in hand. Her presence brought a sharp chill into the hearts of those present. Which caused some of the other applying mercenaries to up and run. However, not all ran off, thankfully, but Zadikka - the heir to the Grim Reaper himself, did not stop to consider the glass half full.

She let out a deep sigh, sat alone on the other side of the hall on what might be the softest bench she ever Sat on in her life, and raised off her cowl to reveal her pale, tusked face, and Crimson eyes. She mostly stared down, thinking about her troubles.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zadikka hasn't noticed any of you yet, if the stuff we talked about in the recruitment thread still holds, then you will recognize Zadikka first, since she's not paying attention.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-09-07 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick notice the female half-orc in the black hood. He remain seated and of course a bit nervous of her presence.

9. - Top - End - #9

The Kobold watches the door swing open, and she tilts her head. Clothes seemed familiar... hey, wasn't it clear out, today? How weird! The stormclouds must have gathered very fast! Observing the would-be adventurers sprinting out, she just seems overall confused as to why they're running. She was positive she knew the figure from somewhere. Ow. Her chest hurts. Will fade in a moment, though! Least, that's what Selkie hoped. As soon as the figure pulls her hood off and reveals herself to be Zadikka, the little Kobold seems even more excited, eager to help the half-orc out in whatever way she could- seemed troubled! Maybe comforting words would help! Or just, in general, nice things!

Zaddy! Haelo! Is you well? Grinning widely and showing off her rather lethal-looking set of teeth, the Kobold immediately rushes over to her rather down-looking friend and climbs onto the bench next to her. If not into well, tells how can halp! Will try best any way can! Whai is here? Here to halp Whitehaven guild thingy? If so, maybe they could work on things together! That's her hope! Always wanted to see Zadikka fighting.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-09-07 at 09:03 AM.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick was surprised to see the female Kobold was eager to help the female half-orc. He was still nervous to approach the female half-orc and remains to be seated.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

Marra

A female dwarf dressed in a blue robe and a white headband walked into the room. With a "Good day" and a "Thank you", she takes a seat, grabs an ornate book from her backpack and starts perusing it while wondering about the sudden change of the sky.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick notice the female dwarf but he was less nervous to the female dwarf compared to the female half-orc. He remain to be seated.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Zadikka perked up and smiled to run into Selkie, any distraction from her misery was a welcome one.
    "Vy, Hello dere, Selki." she spoke softly with a heavy accent as he gave Selkie a warm embrace. "Da, as you know, I em havink trouble, um... Findink myself. So I vill try to clean de road for Viteheven, hopefully I can Umm... direct myself better."
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-09-07 at 10:57 AM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14

Deciding that to hint at Zaddy's magic, the Kobold speaks. After all, the clouds went all grey and sad, so that's at least a hint that's not from her. Yes! Will be good use of death-killy for good! Am here because think can help lots and lots. Selkie gets squeezed, and one could swear they heard something crack, though she returns the hug either way. Um... Can into letting of go, plis. Appreciate! As soon as she's let go of, the Kobold turns her attention to the dwarf that just walked in. Smiling at her too and straightening herself on the bench that Zadikka was sitting on, she gives a wave. Seemed to stick out from the others around here Haelo. You is here for this too? Am Selkie. Haven't met you! Who is? Happy with her introduction, the Kobold awaits the Dwarf's response.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-09-07 at 04:11 PM.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Marra

Noticing that someone was addressing her, the dwarf put aside the book. "Oh, hello there, Marra Barrelsmith. Dwarven archaeologist and journeyman magician, pleasure to make your acquaintance Selkie. Yes, travelling through the King's Road is what I intended, and if along the way there's something that needs helping with, might as well help. How about you?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick approach the three ladies. Patrick: "Hey everybody. My name is Patrick Club. I guess everybody is here for the King Road. What's everybody else name?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Selkie tilts her head, intrigued by the mention of magic. Nothing new to her, but she liked the thought of having a mage, if they would come! Oooo? Magic? What magic is? Divi-nation, evo... evo-cation, necro-mancy? Or is not special-ise, general? Is nice meeting you, too! She lists off the magic schools she knew off the top of her head, offering a confused but respectful look as she shuffles in the seat. Anything would be useful, she's sure of it- as long as this Mara person knows what they're doing.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-09-07 at 04:12 PM.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"oops, sorry." Zadikka let go of Selkie swiftly and examined that she wasn't hurt. Kobolds tend to break so easily, she has to be more careful next time.

"Nice to meet you, Patrik end Marra, I em Zadikka, end dis shiny gold pyis is Selki, you met her, I can tell."
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-09-07 at 07:44 PM.

My Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick looks at Zadikka. Patrick spoke to Zadikka.Patrick: "So Zadikka tell me about yourself."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2016-09-07 at 08:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

Marra

"Err, hello Patrick. I'm Marra. Oh, I'm not really interested in specializing, why limit my potential in exchange for a bit more power ? Hello Zadikka, Marra Barrelsmith. Nice to meet your acquaintance." Oh dear, what's with the crowd all of a sudden ? This is getting awkward, hope Ironbeard shows up soon need a bit of space to breathe. Marra looks a bit uncomfortable at this point.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2016-09-08 at 05:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Zadikka sees that Marra feels uneasy around her. her smile gradually descended. She quickly remembers that she was asked a question, and lifted her gaze towards Patrick. "About myself? about -myself-?" Zadikka sat wide-eyed, as reliving a traumatic memory. after a long,unnerving pause, she continued to speak rather eloquent and fluent Common. "Vat ys dere to tell, I do many tinks, I like to cook, I hev vorked es e...um... 'Butcher', end on ader times - e Grev Dygger... I never qvite liked vat I did, I am cursed vit de 'Femily business'; I hed to bury childrin who could hev hed whole lives ahead of dem, end good men elongside kryminals. Sometimes, I cen see deir spyrits lost in dis vorld, end dose who see me, vell, some feel de caress of my cold, dark karma clatch at deir harts, aders see de sins dey vill be judged for ven kinkdom come, or de time end plece dey vill die.
    "I doubt det you kan empatize vit me, I em e monster, end det burdens me every day ven I open my eyes... end yet you feel my presence end derred to step fort, did you not? Selki, too, ys like det. brev, compassionet. not like de crowd, who flock like sheep, bite like sneks, end cry et night like orphens..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yikes! if that didn't kill the atmosphere I don't know what would... -2 Charisma, guys! ^^;

... we sure could use a scene change before I make it any more awkward. ;;;;;;
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-09-08 at 09:07 AM.

My Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick spoke back to Zadikka. Patrick: "That sound very morbid and sad Zadikka."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

'I em sorry." Zadikka nodded. I hev dat effect on peopil. It can be most difficalt at times, es you kan imaschine."

after a pause of contemplation, she changed the subject. "Vat about you, Patrik? you must hev traveled far from vere you are from. vat is your story?"

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick spoke back to Zadikka. Patrick: "Gee where can I begin? It's actually a long story. Before I was Patrick Club, my real drow name is Pharaun Claddath. I used to be an evil drow back then through my childhood through adulthood. I get into fights a lot. Mostly with high elves, orc and my own race. There was a raid which the high elves capture me and put me in prison. An elder high elf male fighter by the name of Levik Archstar released me from prison and put me under his care. He taught me the art of fighting and the ways of being good. He really change my life and I turned good. As years passed he pass away. So I taught three male drow which goes by the name of George Heart, Andrew Spade and David Diamond. We became friends and I Also change Their life. We join the war against the evil drow. We met our human general goes by the name of Patrick Club. It was a very violent however we survive but Patrick Club wasn't so lucky. I took his name and change it to Patrick Club. After the war was over my friends and I go on our separate ways. I met my arch nemesis a male orc barbarian goes by the name of Grimlock Krusher and his four brothers Slag, Snarl, Sludge and Swoop. They kidnap a female drow goes by the name of Carrie Wands and kept her as prisoner. I fight Grimlock and his four brother and rescue Carrie. After they we got married and we have two beautiful children, Stan and Bonnie. We live happily. So that my story."

25. - Top - End - #25

Selkie listens to Zadikka's tale, one she had heard many times before with a few words switched about. She gives a smile of encouragement. Is fine, Zaddy. You is nice person, not matter if see bad things, you is nice! The kobold gives a swift hug before diverting her attention to Patrick. Not before nodding at the Wizard, of course. Looked bad. Yes, brother no special-ize either... You is not looking into well. Is okay? She listens out for Patrick's story, curious. Multitasking! Once he finished his story, she seems happy for him. Sad tale, but at least he redeemed himself! Better than being a Drow they might have to hurt. Sound good! Is of into realising danger of road, doe? No want orphans. The thoughts of children being left fatherless due to a bad accident just made her quite sad.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-09-08 at 09:56 AM.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

26. - Top - End - #26

RogueGuy

While everyone is settling in and talking the secretary quietly gets up and leans through the door. The sudden sound of voices muffled by the merely cracked sturdy oak door is what draws your attention.

Listen DC 10
    Spoiler
    Show

"...Think about what your doing! If you don't consider the consequences..."

"Your party of four has arrived for your next meeting sir."
    "Oh thank the gods. Get out of my office Carl, I have work to do. If your boss is so hell bent on not opening up the King's Road he needs to take it up with Whitehaven. I'm just a dwarf with a job to do and a piece of history to carve my name into."

The secretary suddenly steps back and to the side as a human in red livery bursts through the door. He shouts back into the office as he storms out. "You haven't heard the end of this Ironbeard! There will be consequences! Consequences I say!"

Knowledge Nobility DC 5
    Spoiler
    Show

He is wearing the heraldry of an agent of Redfel.

The secretary waves you through after the man passes out of the waiting room. You are ushered unto well made if simple office. The furniture is stout solid oak and lightly carved with dwarvish heraldry, mostly depictions of stone-cutting and building. You are quickly shown to some chairs laid in an arc around the desk.

"Sorry about that. That fool is screaming at everyone he can pin down about some foolishness or another. Not my concern. I'm just here to stamp my name on history and Whitehaven is a nice enough organisation to pay me to do it. I am Rodric Ironbeard, architect by trade. I have been put in charge of sorting out the navigability of the King's road. Unfortunately we now don't have time for introductions as I am expecting a report back from..."

The door behind you bursts open.

"Ironbeard sir! Report from Sergeant Nobbs sir. He has tracked that group of Gnolls who ate Tim. He's got them holed up in an old temple of some kind."

Rodric sighs. "Good. So why are reporting back now rather than after the problem has been dealt with."

"Nobbs said We is scouts not soldiers. E' says e' aint got a desire to end up in a soup pot Sir!"

Rodric facepalms into his desk. You hear a deep mumble from the desk about "Bloody contractors"
    and "Wish I was just pounding stone."

After a moment he takes a deep breath and lifts his head back to look at you.

"Well, I guess that changes things a bit. This lot of useless idiots need a babysitter to finish the job I hired them for. I was going to send you after another one of my never ending problems but this one is more urgent as I need Nobbs back out doing what he does best rather than cowering outside some nook fearfully pointing his crossbow at anything that moves. I can pay 3000gp out of the discretionary fund to make this problem go away. What say you? Quick pop into the dark to kill some cannibals..."

"... not technically cannibals sir, they just eat other races..."

"SOME CANNIBALS and return so we can talk about the job I wanted to pay you for in the first place?"
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2016-09-08 at 11:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick said to himself. Patrick: "Yes it's going to be a long and dangerous journey indeed."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2016-09-08 at 11:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Selkie heads into the room excitedly, but seems confused as the man storms out. Why? Is he not nice? Very rude to the person running the place. Should just be kicked out forever. She looks up at the dwarf after quickly clambering onto the chair and hears him out. If some rude lil'person burst i- wait, gnolls? Ate a person called Tim... So many questions. But... 3000 shiny things just for killing lots and lots of bad things!!

She had only one question. Haelo. Am Selkie, will deal with knolls! Is three thousand shiny gold to split between four or must divide? If so, will... Uuuum. She stops for a second, as if counting, before speaking. 750 shinies between all, yes yes? If split? Am thinking so will be split but just making into sure.
    Hi, I'm Linken.

Show

If you want one, ask.

29. - Top - End - #29

RogueGuy

Rodric replies smoothly "3000 total. You also have salvage claim on any items you find while adventuring. As for the split my understanding is that traditionally an even split is the most frequent. Some groups who intend to work together for extended periods keep communal books and a fund for items the group as a whole needs and divide the treasure on a per request basis as individuals wish to spend on personal gear and supplies. It doesn't matter to me how you decide to handle the inner financing of your group, so long as everyone within is in agreement, other than Whitehaven will not pay more than a quarter of the total pay to a given party member without written permission from the other members to collect all pay or one or more members are reported dead. That said, Whitehaven has a bad opinion of those who cheat their allies. We are willing to provide impartial adjudication of any dispute for free to our contractors if needed. Any who behave unethically will be blacklisted.

As for Gnolls. They are nasty creatures. They are a race that lives in small tribal groups who mostly survive as bandits and brigands. Most notable is the 'tradition' of eating other sentient races. Whitehaven is not in the business of hunting down such creatures, though I'm sure there are others who would pay you for such, but this particular group attacked a caravan and killed one of the caravan hands before being driven off. That would be enough to justify paying for their removal but the person killed was the relative of the caravan master. As such he decided to stop the caravan and send out half his guards under Sergeant Nobbs to hunt the creatures down. That means I have a caravan stopped at a waystation while he has sent half his men off on an errand of vengeance that they seem reluctant to actually preform.

So I get to send off a group of actual adventures to deal with the problem, as I am normally inclined to do, but now I also have a caravan sitting idle in the middle of a very dangerous tunnel. I'll leave it to Roricson to scream his head off at them on the other side as to why his seven sacks of saffron are at least half a week late."
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2016-09-08 at 02:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Patrick follow to see what's going on. Patrick spoke to Rodric. Patrick: "Hey I notice there was a dwarf leaving. He was upset at something. What was that all about?"