New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WoW XIX: This is my Artifact. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: WoW XIX: This is my Artifact. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

So that is why they killed Varian off...makes me wonder if Thrall is next.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Must be nice to have made so much money off your creation that you can retire at 42.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Must be nice to have made so much money off your creation that you can retire at 42.
    42's nothing - Notch retired at 35!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #35

Huh. I am quite envious of him for being able to retire at that young.

So, question, my free time just went to crap a week ago and I have yet to step into a dungeon in Legion with what little time I do have. I'm rockin' about 786 iLev at 110 on my Protadin, wondering if I should try to gear up through regulars or finish Highmountain and Suramar before going into a regular.

Also curious what everyone's experience is with dungeon groups in Legion so far, if they're as angry and antisocial as their WoD counterparts or if they're more chill again, since dying seems far more likely than usual.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well good on him. I'll miss his VA roles but I'm happy that he's focusing on his family.

Finally got geared enough for heroics, and queued up to get two 840 Heroic Titanforged items last night. Feels good.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Well good on him. I'll miss his VA roles but I'm happy that he's focusing on his family.
    He's stated via Twitter that he'll still be voicing Thrall (and I expect a few others). Once you get that high in a company, retirement isn't so much "I'm completely no longer involved" and more "I'm occasionally brought on as a consultant, when the fun of rolling in piles of money while the kids are at school and the SO is working has worn thin". He won't be heading any part of the company any more, but don't be surprised if he still pops up at every Blizzcon, voices multiple characters, and other such things.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

IME you'll want to do some dungeon groups because several of them get you Titan relics which get you a nice chunk of Artifact Power (and unlock an appearance IIRC).

So I think I either just hit or am one gear upgrade away from Heroics, are they a big step up in difficulty from regulars? At what point sould I even think about Mythic?
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2016-09-13 at 08:11 PM.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    IME you'll want to do some dungeon groups because several of them get you Tital relics which get you a nice chunk of Artifact Power (and unlock an appearance IIRC).

So I think I either just hit or am one gear upgrade away from Heroics, are they a big step up in difficulty from regulars? At what point sould I even think about Mythic?
    I wouldn't bother to set foot in Mythic before your ilvl is 825. At that point you should have default heroic gear in most slots, with a handful of warforged pieces and a couple of lower level bits.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I wouldn't bother to set foot in Mythic before your ilvl is 825. At that point you should have default heroic gear in most slots, with a handful of warforged pieces and a couple of lower level bits.
    If you have friends/guild to Mythic with, focus adds and don't stand in fire, having one or two people <810 is still doable.

If you're using group finder, then yeah expect to get kicked unless you're ilvl 9001.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

11. - Top - End - #41

Finally got my computer fixed this weekend and have been leveling a havoc demon hunter. Currently only 104, but thus far it has been a blast. Really delivers the feeling of turning groups of mobs into sushi. No downtime but I can still get in danger if I screw up (Though that might change now that I have Soul Rend).

Figthing against large groups of mobs and dropping to 10% only to jump back to 100% in two seconds as the mobs start dying is plain hilarious.

My only worry is that I see a lot of pain in my future with playing momentum spec in dungeons and fel rushing into bad stuff. I already once Vengeful Retreated down from Dalaran. Thank goddess for glide and the portal to Fel Hammer being nearby.
    Last edited by Delusion; 2016-09-14 at 01:23 PM.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh?

I was being accepted as a Tank when I was as low as 817, and, provided the healer was decent, we managed just fine. No one seems to mind the occasional wipe, and the content is doable.

If you're a DPS though? Forget it, unless you brought friends.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2016-09-14 at 12:14 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    If you have friends/guild to Mythic with, focus adds and don't stand in fire, having one or two people <810 is still doable.

If you're using group finder, then yeah expect to get kicked unless you're ilvl 9001.
    Just stay out of Violet Hold, though, below 830+ or so. At least one of the random bosses (Blood Princess) there can't be overcome with skill, it's simply a brutal DPS check with very tight tuning. Getting her as Boss #1 will basically kill your run; getting her as Boss #2 is even worse because it ruins your lockout for the week.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Just stay out of Violet Hold, though, below 830+ or so. At least one of the random bosses (Blood Princess) there can't be overcome with skill, it's simply a brutal DPS check with very tight tuning. Getting her as Boss #1 will basically kill your run; getting her as Boss #2 is even worse because it ruins your lockout for the week.
    Tanked that one at 820, with only one wipe. But yes, that one needs high DPS or it's REALLY rough. That whole dungeon is a pain, honestly: the elite packs really sting.

Hilariously, I've found it's possible to be OVER-geared for the first boss of Eye of Azsuna. If you have too much AoE you actually burn down both mobs too quickly, and someone ends up speared. As a Paladin, this is frustrating, because Consecrate.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Is it just me, or did they really increase the number of trash packs per boss this expansion? Especially in, say, darkheart thicket.

16. - Top - End - #46

Is it just me, or did they really increase the number of trash packs per boss this expansion? Especially in, say, darkheart thicket.
    I think it's just certain areas of certain dungeons.

Clearing trash around Serpentrix and the first Eye boss? Awful.

Entering the Halls of Valor? Frustrating.

First-to-second and second-to-third Darkheart bosses? Oof.

The push to the final Vault of the Wardens? Ew.

ALL of Black Rook Hold? Dear god no.

But other than that I find you can bypass a lot of the trash. So I'm not sure it's WORSE than it used to be overall, but where you can't avoid it it definitely feels that way.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Eh?

I was being accepted as a Tank when I was as low as 817, and, provided the healer was decent, we managed just fine. No one seems to mind the occasional wipe, and the content is doable.

If you're a DPS though? Forget it, unless you brought friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post

I based my recommendation on the assumption that you wishing to pull your weight when you show up. The idea that you should get mostly geared up from the previous progression tier before you start off the next should not be controversial.

I think it's just certain areas of certain dungeons.

Clearing trash around Serpentrix and the first Eye boss? Awful.

Entering the Halls of Valor? Frustrating.

First-to-second and second-to-third Darkheart bosses? Oof.

The push to the final Vault of the Wardens? Ew.

ALL of Black Rook Hold? Dear god no.

But other than that I find you can bypass a lot of the trash. So I'm not sure it's WORSE than it used to be overall, but where you can't avoid it it definitely feels that way.
    I think the focus on minimizing trash is somewhat wrongheaded. If you want your MMO to be immersive and feel like a real world, then it's probably a good idea that your instances don't just feel like a log flume with loot at the end. But then, I'm the guy whose favorite dungeon is Blackrock Depths, so I just might be the crazy one.

18. - Top - End - #48

I based my recommendation on the assumption that you wishing to pull your weight when you show up. The idea that you should get mostly geared up from the previous progression tier before you start off the next should not be controversial.
    I mean...I was specifically asked by the group I did that with to join them for three more, precisely because I WAS pulling my weight. But then again, Tank. Often mechanics > gear level.

I think the focus on minimizing trash is somewhat wrongheaded. If you want your MMO to be immersive and feel like a real world, then it's probably a good idea that your instances don't just feel like a log flume with loot at the end. But then, I'm the guy whose favorite dungeon is Blackrock Depths, so I just might be the crazy one.
    Eh? I personally find it very engaging to attempt to avoid pulls that are difficult to avoid, or cut down on the number of mobs you fight at one point or another by properly maneuvering and fighting around patrols. Different strokes, I guess.

My most hated dungeon is Violet Hold, for example, because it's full of trash packs that just aren't interesting. If all trash packs were as engaging as the pre-first-Boss Dragon-pack in Halls of Valor, or the pre-second-boss Archer/Champion grouping in Black Rook Hold, I'd be much happier to fight them.

Too many are just "stand in one place, avoid a few easy AoEs, and don't die." That's pretty boring to me.

Also, wait. "Immersive?" "Real World?" Two points here: firstly, no group of enemies in the real world will sit still while you kill their friends not 100 feet from them. Secondly, why on earth would you "realistically" fight enemies that you don't HAVE to fight to accomplish your objective?
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2016-09-14 at 01:42 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I don't want any of my instances to feel like a log flume, but mainly because I have log flume phobia. There is something about drops on log flume-style rides that seriously freaks me out. And I go on marquee multi loop roller coasters and not-completely-safe-looking-county-fair-deathtraps without issues. So even though I know it's ridiculous, it still happens... which is why I deliberately use the term "phobia" there, because it is one.

Anyways, I want my dungeons to feel more like a thrill ride, with lots of danger and excitement, than a dark ride, where you sit in a slow moving vehicle and watch everything pass by at the same slow pace. Large amounts of boring trash feels like the latter and not the former.

So specifically in Darkheart Thicket, I've been pulling two packs at once whenever possible- but I don't know if that's going to be sustainable into Heroic/Mythic. There have also been a few instances where I've been able to bypass the trash but some pug accidentally pulls the group anyways. Other times it seems like some of the trash mobs will aoe aggro everything in the area once they get low on health regardless of what you do, or there's a cast I'm missing that does that.

Also.... second to third Darkheart bosses are bad trash? That's just the river area with the blood elementals, right? That area goes way faster than the pre first boss trash that takes forever. It's also possible that as dps gear levels get higher the trash won't last as long and will be less obnoxious.

20. - Top - End - #50

So specifically in Darkheart Thicket, I've been pulling two packs at once whenever possible- but I don't know if that's going to be sustainable into Heroic/Mythic.
    Be careful with that in Mythic. It...stings if you pick the wrong two. Considerably. You may well lose a DPS if two+ cats randomly decide to jump the same target.

Specifically, avoid double-pulling the two packs that lurk by the entrance to the path to the first boss: the one just inside the cave mouth. That's a double pull that can and will wipe groups on Heroic/Mythic.

Also.... second to third Darkheart bosses are bad trash? That's just the river area with the blood elementals, right? That area goes way faster than the pre first boss trash that takes forever. It's also possible that as dps gear levels get higher the trash won't last as long and will be less obnoxious.
    Actually, I mean pre-first and pre-second. Oops! But yeah: I'm in agreement with you, and just spaced out.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2016-09-14 at 03:34 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean...I was specifically asked by the group I did that with to join them for three more, precisely because I WAS pulling my weight. But then again, Tank. Often mechanics > gear level.

Eh? I personally find it very engaging to attempt to avoid pulls that are difficult to avoid, or cut down on the number of mobs you fight at one point or another by properly maneuvering and fighting around patrols. Different strokes, I guess.

My most hated dungeon is Violet Hold, for example, because it's full of trash packs that just aren't interesting. If all trash packs were as engaging as the pre-first-Boss Dragon-pack in Halls of Valor, or the pre-second-boss Archer/Champion grouping in Black Rook Hold, I'd be much happier to fight them.

Too many are just "stand in one place, avoid a few easy AoEs, and don't die." That's pretty boring to me.

Also, wait. "Immersive?" "Real World?" Two points here: firstly, no group of enemies in the real world will sit still while you kill their friends not 100 feet from them. Secondly, why on earth would you "realistically" fight enemies that you don't HAVE to fight to accomplish your objective?
    I want the dungeon to have a sense of place. Yes, I'm pretty sure that such realistic things like alarms and active surveillance are probably inimical to gameplay, and would make them more realistic, but nevertheless, the '3 bosses and a couple of trash packs' model really makes the dungeon experience feel really stale. BRD has bedrooms, a bar, workshops, gates, prisons. It feels like a place where Dark Iron Dwarves live, instead of the area they spawn in while waiting to be killed in an orderly fashion, and given my druthers, more of the World of Warcraft would feel like a world. I'm not suggesting that players should go out of their way to fight trash that doens't block them from their objective, but the notion that the dungeon 'has too much trash' is one that has pernicious consequences, if acted on by the developers.

22. - Top - End - #52

...but the notion that the dungeon 'has too much trash' is one that has pernicious consequences, if acted on by the developers.
    I find it odd that you responded with this then: "I think the focus on minimizing trash is somewhat wrongheaded."

I think a DEVELOPMENT focus on having no trash would be wrong, yes. But a GAMEPLAY focus on minimizing FIGHTS with trash isn't the same to me.

Halls of Valor, for example, feels kind of like a mead hall. That's cool. The second area is literally covered with animals: also cool. But I don't want to fight ALL of that, so I don't. Not sure there's an issue here.

This expansion seems to have a LOT of trash, but makes much of it avoidable. That's the best of both worlds, I'd say. You can fight through the entire crew of the ship on Maw, or go into the edges of the map to kill all the creatures that inhabit the Eye, but you're not OBLIGATED to.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2016-09-14 at 03:42 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I find it odd that you responded with this then: "I think the focus on minimizing trash is somewhat wrongheaded."

I think a DEVELOPMENT focus on having no trash would be wrong, yes. But a GAMEPLAY focus on minimizing FIGHTS with trash isn't the same to me.

Halls of Valor, for example, feels kind of like a mead hall. That's cool. The second area is literally covered with animals: also cool. But I don't want to fight ALL of that, so I don't. Not sure there's an issue here.

This expansion seems to have a LOT of trash, but makes much of it avoidable. That's the best of both worlds, I'd say. You can fight through the entire crew of the ship on Maw, or go into the edges of the map to kill all the creatures that inhabit the Eye, but you're not OBLIGATED to.
    Blame it on my phrasing then. However, in general, I rarely find 'dodging' trash to be worth the bother. Another 2 minute fight, more or less, isn't a big deal, and often pays dividends by preventing facepulls and wipes later on. But I generally agree with you, nobody should be going out of their way to fight static trash that isn't a danger of killing your party.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest WoW could use a bit of diversity in their voice actors. All female night elves sounding like Tyrande is not that big a problem ... unless the whole quest chain revolves around her and her clones acompany her search for "HER BELOVED ONE"!!!!

Good lord is the acting in Legion jumping between grueling (WHERE ARE YOU MY BELOVED!) and impressively great (Runas the Shamed). Same for the artifacts quests: They vary between "look, here is her bow, now shut up about Alleria", "Thrall fell down and now wont hold the Doomhammer anymore" and impressive original ideas like the shadow weapon, survival Spear or the talking skull of demonology.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I want the dungeon to have a sense of place. Yes, I'm pretty sure that such realistic things like alarms and active surveillance are probably inimical to gameplay, and would make them more realistic, but nevertheless, the '3 bosses and a couple of trash packs' model really makes the dungeon experience feel really stale. BRD has bedrooms, a bar, workshops, gates, prisons. It feels like a place where Dark Iron Dwarves live, instead of the area they spawn in while waiting to be killed in an orderly fashion, and given my druthers, more of the World of Warcraft would feel like a world. I'm not suggesting that players should go out of their way to fight trash that doens't block them from their objective, but the notion that the dungeon 'has too much trash' is one that has pernicious consequences, if acted on by the developers.
    I'd love if the first half of Darkheart Thicket had more purpose to it instead of "Here's a bunch of evil nature thingies we put on a path for you to hack through". It's just as bad as the first part of Firelands- "Have a bowl full of Fire Elemental creatures!"

26. - Top - End - #56

I'm kind of looking forward to Emerald Nightmare on that note, some of the bosses look interesting. #1 is an evil zombie dragon, nothing particularly noteworthy, but both the fight and the ascetics for #2 seem like they'll be delightfully Lovecraftian in a sense we haven't gotten since Yogg-Saron.

27. - Top - End - #57

I'd love if the first half of Darkheart Thicket had more purpose to it instead of "Here's a bunch of evil nature thingies we put on a path for you to hack through". It's just as bad as the first part of Firelands- "Have a bowl full of Fire Elemental creatures!"
    I feel that way about a lot of dungeons, honestly.

Halls of Valor and Maw are the only ones that I really feel have a good, logical structure to them. The others sometimes just seem like somewhat related bosses smashed together into an encounter.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Roaming the open world as Prot Warrior has been interesting. It's great when you can just head straight for any world boss and not worry (or worry less, in the case of the really hard ones) about gathering enough numbers.

Also had the hilarious experience of collecting Archaeological fragments in a zone infested with Elite enemies. Fun times.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I feel that way about a lot of dungeons, honestly.

Halls of Valor and Maw are the only ones that I really feel have a good, logical structure to them. The others sometimes just seem like somewhat related bosses smashed together into an encounter.
    Eh, I like Vault of the Wardens. I know a lot of people hate it, but after doing the DH starting questline it's cool to go back and see all the things that were locked away start to break out and have to deal with the things that have escaped before they bust up Azeroth. Yeah it's basically Violet Hold v2 (even though neu-Violet Hold is Violet Hold v2), but I quite like it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Roaming the open world as Prot Warrior has been interesting. It's great when you can just head straight for any world boss and not worry (or worry less, in the case of the really hard ones) about gathering enough numbers.

Also had the hilarious experience of collecting Archaeological fragments in a zone infested with Elite enemies. Fun times.
    As a Prot Warrior, most of the time, seeing an elite opponent just means it will take a long time to kill. When that's not the case, and you've clearly bitten off more than you can chew.... Heroic Leap is a great help in getting out of trouble.

On non-tank characters, elites seem more like death sentences. Granted I don't know those classes as well, so maybe I'm just not doing things right.