New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WoW XIX: This is my Artifact. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I have a potentially broad question: what are heirlooms/heirloom gear? Why are they so special/valued?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: WoW XIX: This is my Artifact. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I have a potentially broad question: what are heirlooms/heirloom gear? Why are they so special/valued?
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Heirloom

They're valuable primarily because they let you level up your alts faster (1-100), both because of the exp boost they provide to speed up the process, and the fact that they scale with your character so you end up needing fewer gear replacements for optimal stats as you level. In addition, several of them occupy slots that are hard for low-level characters to fill like Head and Trinkets.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Nifty...

I assume that only characters of a particular faction can trade heirlooms to characters within said faction. Would they have to be on the same server too?

Ahpffsh... I'll actually need to figure out which heirlooms I'd need for the toons I'd want to level quickly. Do they really expedite the leveling process to, say, being able to get a toon to 90/100 in a few hours? A few days? Is this heirloom dependant?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You don't need to trade heirlooms between characters at all. Once you 'learn' an heirloom, it goes into your collection, and you can spawn a copy of that heirloom into the bags of any character on your account.

As for how much, a full set of XP-boosting heirlooms minus the Dread Pirate Ring (only obtainable by winning the Fishing Tournament), will boost your XP gain by 45% (it'd be 50% with said ring). So you'll level that much faster, essentially cutting your leveling time by roughly 1/3.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp I've gotta get some heirlooms after I get the gold for 30 days of WoW then!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

there is also the heirloom mount which lets you "get chauffered" around(basically it lets you mount before you can mount)..though i never needed it so dont really know how you get it

----

outta curiousity where in San Jose you at?
    i was born and raised there
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    there is also the heirloom mount which lets you "get chauffered" around(basically it lets you mount before you can mount)..though i never needed it so dont really know how you get it
    Is that the one with the Orc Butler that drives you around? Because I actually really want that one. I like the fact that your character sits in the side car of the motorcycle.

outta curiousity where in San Jose you at?
    i was born and raised there
    I'm within walking distance of the Shark Tank.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Spamalot in the Playground

You get it automatically after buying a certain number of the other heirlooms (I forget how many.) AFAIK it's the only mount usable before level 20 so it can speed up your low-level questing considerably, if you don't mind the noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

-gets the final alchemy quest-

80 Starlight Rose..you need 80 Starlight rose.

I hate everything about professions in this expansion. Seriously, they want you to waste 15K gold worth of mats to unlock a set of recipies.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2016-10-03 at 01:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    -gets the final alchemy quest-

80 Starlight Rose..you need 80 Starlight rose.

I hate everything about professions in this expansion. Seriously, they want you to waste 15K gold worth of mats to unlock a set of recipies.
    It's not the quest chain that makes the mats worth 15k gold, it's the huge gold inflation from Garrison giveaway economics in Warlords. Also, I gather lots of gatherers dropped their professions in Warlords, because free garrison herbs and mines gutted the utility of the profession.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    It's not the quest chain that makes the mats worth 15k gold, it's the huge gold inflation from Garrison giveaway economics in Warlords. Also, I gather lots of gatherers dropped their professions in Warlords, because free garrison herbs and mines gutted the utility of the profession.

Bull crap. The Utility of the profession has never existed. Mining, Herbalism and Leatherworking were ALWAYS garbage professions to take. Starlight Roses are expensive because HALF of the ones you harvest turn to dust. And why is that? So they have have an arbitrary perk at level 2 which you only get at random. I love how people are blaming "TEH GARRISONZ" on stupid profession decisions.

Here is a hard truth. The Garrisons did not put that much money into the economy. 20K a week? that is chump change compared to farming of old raids. "Garrisons!" are a great scapegoat for something that everyone has known. Gathering professions should have been secondary professions that everyone can take, they should have been that way from the start of the game and there is literally zero reason for them not have been made secondary in the WOD prepatch when they gutted every other profession to make it "more fair" to the people who went gathering.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Bull crap. The Utility of the profession has never existed. Mining, Herbalism and Leatherworking were ALWAYS garbage professions to take. Starlight Roses are expensive because HALF of the ones you harvest turn to dust. And why is that? So they have have an arbitrary perk at level 2 which you only get at random. I love how people are blaming "TEH GARRISONZ" on stupid profession decisions.

Here is a hard truth. The Garrisons did not put that much money into the economy. 20K a week? that is chump change compared to farming of old raids. "Garrisons!" are a great scapegoat for something that everyone has known. Gathering professions should have been secondary professions that everyone can take, they should have been that way from the start of the game and there is literally zero reason for them not have been made secondary in the WOD prepatch when they gutted every other profession to make it "more fair" to the people who went gathering.
    First of all, the farming of old raids might have been more profitable for amount of gold generated per week, but you could simply not beat them for gold generated per hour of active player time, and while gold-farming Cata raids might have been the proclivity of the particularly motivated, anyone and everyone could easily tool their garrison (or if they were slightly more industrious, every garrison on all their alts) to produce massive amounts of gold in seconds of active play, leaving them free to do whatever else they cared to spend their time doing, yes, even farming Firelands. If you're a player with limited play-time, you don't farm old raids. EVERYONE with a functioning brain had at least one optimized garrison for gold farming. 20k a week may not sound like much, but 20k a week from all 5 million active players for a year adds up to a LOT of money (over 5 trillion gold, more of course, because of alts), and guess what? Most of it wound up in the hands of players selling runs for non-raiders to get their Moose mount, or regular old Goblins. Nobody sells commodities so as to receive them back in the mail, so if they're going for 15k gold, it's because there's someone willing to pay for them.

Second of all, the drop rate is a factor in the relative cost of a reagent, so yeah, high rarity ingredients are going to command more money, but when a single piece of leystone ore, the most common rock in the Broken Isles, is selling for 23 gold (100g for a few swings of a pickaxe on my server), that's not rarity pushing up the price, it's inflation. Anyway, if professions have no utility, then what the heck are you complaining about? Don't do them.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Bull crap. The Utility of the profession has never existed. Mining, Herbalism and Leatherworking were ALWAYS garbage professions to take.
    For a few expansions, the gathering professions gave you combat bonuses; Mining gave passive max health, Herbalism gave an active self heal-over-time, and Skinning (which I assume you meant by leatherworking) gave passive Crit. This was a lot more useful for end-game raiding than having the ability to make armor/weapons weaker than what you got in raids. These bonuses were removed when Draenor came out.

Right now Leatherworking and Blacksmithing seem like the pitiful ones (aside from the saddle things I guess). "Hmm, I can spend thousands of mats and quests and stuff to learn how to spend thousands of mats on an item that's worse than the thing I got by catching squirrels." There aren't even Armor Kits or Sharpening Stones anymore.

Tailoring can still make Draenor bags, Engineering can still make Draenor gliders, Scribes can still make Glyph Of Make Wraith Walk Actually Work, and Alchemists and Enchanters are always needed.
    Last edited by turbo164; 2016-10-03 at 11:14 AM.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Just hit max engineering on my main last night. Next time I end up in Court of Stars, I'll be able to make use out of whatever that pile of junk is for.

I dropped blacksmithing for mining (I dropped mining for bs in WoD after they didn't buff gathering professions in 8.2) and am about 750/800- until recently I was making heavy use of my Draenor garrison for free skillups, and am now doing the same thing on my priest alt (which was Enchanting/JC, is now Enchanting/Mining). My main has everything but Infernal Brimstone mining at 2/3. My alt has... Leystone Nodes 3/3 and everything else 1/3. Mining skill is at... 120ish/800. I'm not that big on mining, but I refuse to pay these AH prices (unless it means I get the last five skill points I need to max Engineering, which was ~8K for one stack of ore and some miscellaneous reagents) and professions on my alts tend to suffer from neglect, so double crafting professions just aren't a thing that's going to happen. Might as well get some mats for my main.

I've had the quest that unlocks Leystone mining level 2 drops sitting in my alt's log for at least a week, I thought it dropped you into that one scenario when it was actually just "read three short blurbs from the mining trainer". Two Leystone Nodes later the level 2 Node pattern drops. Ok, fly back to Highmountain, talk to the guy, get level 2 leystone mining. Nice!

~Two nodes later, Rethu spawns and I about put my forehead through my monitor (then I flew back to Highmountain for the "Dude, No Way" ..."Way" blurb). Why couldn't that have happened on my main!

In sad news, our amazing DPS friend quit wow yesterday. All his characters left the guild simultaneously. I was in the process of writing a ticket (hey... can someone check and see if this guy got hacked...?) when we discovered he dumped all his stuff in the guild bank. We couldn't find any of his characters on armory (and none of us can see him on Battletag now), so he probably deleted his account. In retrospect we weren't super surprised, he'd been compaining about being fed up with World Quests. But it sucks. Not only was the guy fun to play with, knowledgable, and friendly, he was three normal player's worth of DPS. Previously when he burned out he'd just say "hey, I might be back in a few months" and we'd be thrilled if he was back in a few months. But if went to these lengths, he's probably done.

@ Turbo164:
    Edit: Blacksmithing makes that awesome looking Fel Reaver mount that Engineers should have gotten.

Double Edit: The crafting professions could all make BoP versions of the BoE gear enchants that had about the same amount of extra stats that gathering professions got. BS got two extra sockets, LW made shoulder enchants that were proportionally stronger, Enchanters had self-only stuff that was both strong and comparatively cheap mats-wise, ditto for inscribers and JC. Gathering professions were still considered suboptimal for raiding because you couldn't pick whatever stat was best for your spec, you had to go with whatever the static buff gave you. JC/BS/Ench/Inscr could always pick their best stat.
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2016-10-03 at 12:15 PM.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

IMO, the decision to remove profession-exclusive bonuses was a bad one. Yes, there's always some crank complaining that now they're obliged to take a profession and level it to get a fraction of a fraction of a percent of DPS, lest they be dropped from their raid slot, but in point of fact, there's still an argument to be made that professions are economically obligatory, the only thing that's changed is which professions are required. Alchemy and Enchanting are the big dogs now, with Tailoring offering a utility niche with bags. And now that reagent prices are stupidly inflated, gathering is the new cash-cow profession. But don't worry. Once the gear demand has been satisfied (which will likely take until the next raid tier being released), gathered mats will start to deflate. And there's no reason that you really need to participate in the player-driven economy if you don't want to. You won't be able to afford the spider mount, but there are worse fates.

In other news, I've really started enjoying leveling my Frost Mage bank alt now that the Frost buffs have been delivered. The best piece of news is your mage bodyguard is a frost mage, and she regularly casts a ranged freeze on targets which apparently doesn't break on damage, so world questing gets a LOT better once you've got her following you around. Frost may not measure up to Fire and Arcane still, but it's at least remotely viable. I also love that one of the Ebonchill artifact traits is a buff to Ice Barrier. It's certainly not a priority if you're min-maxing for raiding, but I've always loved the QOL aspect of Ice Barrier, and the aesthetics of Frost. If only I could trade Ice Lance for Fire Blast (I loved my frost/fire shatter combos in Vanilla), I'd be exquisitely happy.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Reagent prices will likely stay inflated for quite a while. Legion has a lot of twisty terrain and fairly spread out spawn nodes, and of course, no flying. Reagent demand due to gear may eventually go down... but Obliterum. And Alts.

Removal of the profession bonuses was another part of stat deflation.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Reagent prices will likely stay inflated for quite a while. Legion has a lot of twisty terrain and fairly spread out spawn nodes, and of course, no flying. Reagent demand due to gear may eventually go down... but Obliterum. And Alts.

Removal of the profession bonuses was another part of stat deflation.
    Yeah, you're probably right in so far as Obliterum will continue to push demand for reagents. It will soften as most players start to meet the gear needs of their mains, I think. Alts are fun, and all, but I know few players who are willing to part with gold to gear up an alt. More likely, you'll get a carry from your guildies.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

So, a few questions: I know you can't use certain exploits with Garrisons to generate gold like you were able to anymore, but are they still useful for generating gold at all now? If not, aside from collecting reagents that the player base needs, what else is good for generating gold?

@icewraith: what class(es) did your dps friend play? I'm curious as to what he performed so well on.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, a few questions: I know you can't use certain exploits with Garrisons to generate gold like you were able to anymore, but are they still useful for generating gold at all now? If not, aside from collecting reagents that the player base needs, what else is good for generating gold?

@icewraith: what class(es) did your dps friend play? I'm curious as to what he performed so well on.
    Re: Garrison gold, let me tell you what I'm doing, and I'll let you judge whether you think it's worth your time to do so. Basically, all the gold making perks from WoD have been turned into +200% garrison resources. If you build a rank 2 trading post, you can convert garrison resources into trade materials, which, if you can find a way to sell at a profit, will indirectly furnish gold. Atypically for a new expansion, Legion did not add a new recipe for a top-tier bag. They added the Silkweave satchel, which is a relatively cheap 24 slot bag. The best bag in the game remains the Hexweave bag. SO, given that I have a maxed out tailor, and Hexweave bags consistently sell for 1k gold (on my server), I've been using my garrison to feed sumptuous fur to my tailor for conversion into bags, and thence into gold. In effect, I'm using it to give myself a quest for 100g per day, for poking a couple missions and hopping over to the trading post to check the exchange rate (which is randomized from day to day)

I doubt very seriously it would be worth investing much gold/time into improving your garrison if you don't have one already, but seeing how mine is already a sunk cost, I'm doing it. That's also my general style when it comes to making money, I'm not interested in power-farming or running AH gambits to get rich, I just want low-effort gold which I can collect on a regular basis, for doing a few quick chores.

As for making gold with no existing investment, before I go into that, let me first normalize your expectations with this: Right now, the price of gold is ~920g to $1.00. So, if what you're doing can be conflated with work (ie: you wouldn't do it if you weren't being paid), then if you're making less than 6,670 gold per hour, you're working a sub-minimum wage job to earn gold from other WoW players. So, ask yourself: Am I doing this because I want to be doing this? Because unless you're come up with an amazing gambit to make gold, you're likely working that sub-minimum wage job. Now that that's over with, Alchemy and Enchanting are going to hold up their value the most, because those will continue to produce sustained demand as the player base continues to get geared up. Yes, the other professions can also make money, but their volume will be lower, and the sunk costs harder to overcome.

My general advice is to focus on your other goals, and let gold just happen when you're not looking. If you like professions, by all means, learn one, and figure out a way to tap it for some extra coin. But IMO, gold farming as a hobby is a very questionable enterprise.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As a blacksmith, I have to say that I'm just collecting the recipes and doing the quests cause I like the feel of it. None of my Demonsteel (the ones that go from IL 815 to 850) pieces have seen any use other than potential Obliterum sources. Even someone like me who spends most of his time doing World Quests and the odd quest-related dungeon, was easily able to get better gear that what I can craft.

So the most "use" I can get out of BS is probably Obliterum farming (I have a few level 3 leystone recipes and a ton of leystone) and horseshoes (gotta go fast).
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    ~snip~
    So, literally the only reason I would want to farm gold is so I don't have to worry about paying for WoW. That's about it. Having a reliable and efficient source of gold would be nice, but overall what I'm gathering is that isn't so much doable, and questing (with resource farming being a thing if I want to go that far with it) would be my best bets with the current state of the game as it is. Gotcha.

I'll actually need to bother making an Alchemist or an Enchanter one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    As a blacksmith, I have to say that I'm just collecting the recipes and doing the quests cause I like the feel of it. None of my Demonsteel (the ones that go from IL 815 to 850) pieces have seen any use other than potential Obliterum sources. Even someone like me who spends most of his time doing World Quests and the odd quest-related dungeon, was easily able to get better gear that what I can craft.

So the most "use" I can get out of BS is probably Obliterum farming (I have a few level 3 leystone recipes and a ton of leystone) and horseshoes (gotta go fast).
    I'll probably be in the same boat with Leatherworking/Skinning, once I get to that point of having the Obliterum Forge-thing. I'm at the bit where I need the specific items for the enchanter lady to destroy.
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2016-10-04 at 07:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

What a day. Did a bunch of world quests and three heroic dungeons and ended up getting 7 upgrades. (or 8. I might have gotten an upgrade to an upgrade that I forgot). Also just before logging off I noticed two world quests that are going to give me upgrades that are going to be there tomorrow. If I can just replace my rings then my artifact will be the lowest ilvl item I have heh. My item level went up by 8 and my crit chance by 6%.

With this much luck today I expect to get hit by a car tomorrow or something.

Only "downside" is that last saturday I basically wasted 5k order hall resources to boost to pieces of the order hall set that I have to 830 only to replace both today.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Last expansion he was mostly Hunter and occasionally Holy Paladin. During the pre-patch he was playing a bunch of different characters- when he left there were ~7-9 sequential "X has left the Guild" messages, although I don't know how many were max level- trying to find a replacement for his Hunter, he hated what they did to it. He ended up rolling DH first for the expansion.

We were really hunter heavy last expansion, but even then he would be 10-20% ahead of the other hunters, even the guy who was running on off nights with a Mythic group. A couple of times I've seen him bring in an alt and while he obviously wasn't still first on the meters, what he got out of that alt was surprisingly good for its ilevel.

Re: Gold
    Right now garrisons still have the raid missions for BRF and HM, and the shipyard still has an occasional missions for HFC. There's also still missions for baleful gear that vendor for varying amounts of gold.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, literally the only reason I would want to farm gold is so I don't have to worry about paying for WoW. That's about it. Having a reliable and efficient source of gold would be nice, but overall what I'm gathering is that isn't so much doable, and questing (with resource farming being a thing if I want to go that far with it) would be my best bets with the current state of the game as it is. Gotcha.

I'll actually need to bother making an Alchemist or an Enchanter one of these days.
    So, in light of my earlier post re: monetizing your WoD garrison in Legion, here's an opportunity that you can profit from your garrison to get caught up on professions without much time or money invested. Simply put: Garrison Resources => Crafting Reagents => Daily crafting cooldowns (which should give you 10 skill per day on the way to 600 skill). You can also, if you want, upgrade your herb garden for your alchemist for some extra free herbs, or upgrade and collect rocks from your mine, and send them off to a blacksmith to make into stuff you can DE into draenic dust. The upshot here is that for a modest seed investment, you can collect reagents to fuel your profession leveling and get a potentially fun and profitable profession in a couple months, with very little active time investment.

The way Blizzard has designed their crafting system for the past two expansions has heavily incentivized using daily cooldowns and other time-gated activities to encourage keeping your subscription active and promote regular engagement.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a GitP guild?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Is there a GitP guild?
    There used to be, as far as I know. The only guild that I know of that is a pseudo-GitP guild is the one Djinn & Co. are a part of on Sargeras.

I really need to level an alliance toon to 110 and shunt him to Sargeras so I can play with y'all on the off chance.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Because we could probably get a raiding group together on Sargeras, if people would be interested in that sort of thing.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

If you guys wanted to that'd be cool, but realistically I wouldn't be able to raid with you guys consistently because on average I'm awake and active at drastically different times than the rest of you. Maaaaaaaaaybe once in a blue moon I could do something, but my sh!tty job generally denies me this.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

so the RNG decided today was "screw you" day

ran both lfr's..no loots

failed 2 follower missions at 95%

ran withered training...there was ONE chest in the entire place: a ten man that gave me arti power
    finished up with 34 withered and nothin to do with em
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

30. - Top - End - #270
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was really surprised when I saw that Wing 2 was open this week.

...I didn't even realize Wing 1 was open last week. Whoops.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?