New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Help with a charisma based gestalt character

I'm making a gestalt character for an upcoming new campaing. Most of my recent characters have had charisma as a dump stat. This time I wanted something different. Part because the DM tends to challenge the players as much outside of combat as in direct conflict, part because I like the challenge

Therefore I checked out the X stat to Y bonus thread and quickly found the battledancer. As we will be a rather small party (of 2 maybe 3 players) my character cannot easily hide behind other partymembers when the enemies come running. So I thought the charisma to AC would be a nice fit. Although using no armors means I would need to make dexterity my secondary ability to better my AC.

I'm allowed to use any race from the rulebooks as long as the level adjustment are no more than +1. The catfolk from the Races of the Wild have bonus's on dexterity and charisma both and +1 natural armor to boot. The increased movement and better vision are just icing on the cake.

At the moment I'm considering taking a one level dip in battle dancer and from then on working towards the mailman-build (referenced somewhere on this forum). That would be the first part of the gestalt character.

The second part of the gestalt character is where I'm really in doubt. Should I take a short level dip into the simple rogue from Unearthed Arcana to gain skillpoints and a few fighterfeats. Maybe I should aim for the paladinclass to gain charisma on saving throws or maybe favored soul to gain access to divine magic keyed off charisma as well.

What do you guys and girls think? Can something like this work?

Are there other builds that my might be better? Bear in mind, that the character will be a member of a rather small party, so it should not be too squishy. I would like to have access to some of the social skills (bluff, diplomacy, sense motive, gather information and the like) to be able to participate outside of combat as well.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love sorcerers. And mixing with paladin makes sense to me (just remember to behave). There are a lot of Paladin variants out there so maybe find one more in line with your characters viewpoint.
    The great thing about Sorcerer is their is no reason to stay in that class after level one. Prestige class the hell out of there, a one level dip into mind bender is fun but if you find an evil paladin build you could even start pursuing true necromancer.
    Whatever floats your boat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Help with a charisma based gestalt character

Something to consider if you don't want to play a caster would be getting Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill at some point for the extra damage, and if combined with Snowflake Wardance could effectively let CHA matter for attack and to a lesser extent damage.
    I'm a vestige!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A saves monster / debuffer with full BAB on side A
    And a sorcerer build on side B is a great combination

Side A

Paladin of tyranny 4/Hexblade 4/Blackguard 2

paladin of tyranny -2 to all saves
    hexblade curse -2 to all saves
    consider how useful a +4 DC to your spells is

add in CHA to saves twice (paladin + blackguard)
    mettle
    throw in a ring of evasion and you're in business

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../fey/20030815a charming the arrow will give you an opportunity to get cha to to hit for arrows!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Just go classic monk sorcerer. Can't go wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

What level are you starting at, some suggestions only really work if you start at the right level.
    Also
    What are the rules on using Prestige Classes in this Gestalt campaign?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Cha-based... I heard that a level or a few in Marshal might be worth your time. You should try to gie your second side a BAB of at least 16 though.
    Last edited by Name1; 2016-09-10 at 03:38 AM.