New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default The names of your adventuring party

Some party's have them, some party's don't. Examples would be Critical Role's Vox Machina, Dice Camera Action's waffle crew, and AI's acquisitions inc. my party's name is "the Strahdust Crusaders" what's your party's name?

2. - Top - End - #2

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The names of your adventuring party

Once in cyberpunk we made calling cards that named us Mayhem Inc. Professional Troubleshooters.
    Problems solved, trouble shot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

In one of the best games I'm playing, the party has the unofficial nickname Asylum Avengers.

The group consists of a warrior with a history of anger issues, an emotional rogue with low self-esteem, a cleric with something close to a PTSD and a wizard who is slowly going insane.

Previous party members also include a pathological liar, a cleric with a shattered ego and warrior who was reckless in the extreme.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

In one on-going RP, we're1 informally calling ourselves the Pancake Party.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Once in cyberpunk we made calling cards that named us Mayhem Inc. Professional Troubleshooters.
    Problems solved, trouble shot.
    Nice. One group I GM'd for called themselves Majestic Twelve for several sessions, due to the party size and that at the time they were dealing with a possible extra-terrestrial encounter.

1 "We're" referring to mostly just the GM and myself. It's too silly to catch on. ^^;
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

My current group is called The Oblivian Society .

In 2010 just before a campaign ended the players called themselves Silver Talons .
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2016-09-11 at 08:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

The Seraphim, an adventurer guild founded by a True Neutral Elven Ranger, a Chaotic Neutral Half Orc Barbarian, a Neutral Good Cleric of Pelor, and me a Lawful Good Paladin of Pelor. We had several other members but they were never very involved. (lots of people in our group came & went)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    In one on-going RP, we're1 informally calling ourselves the Pancake Party.
    I once DMed for the Muffin Party. On account of their Bag of Infinite Muffins and how they kept using the muffins for every conceivable purpose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think any of my adventuring parties, IRL or on PbP, have ever had a name. With one exception, but we didn't really name ourselves that, it was just how the game ran, so it doesn't count. I should try and get it to catch on...
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

9. - Top - End - #9

Imp

With the campaign my player's just finished (an evil game), they started referring to themselves as "Cthulhu's romantic experiment."
    It was a weird game. The Cthulhu part wasn't my fault though.

10. - Top - End - #10

SamuraiGuy

The group in one of the games I'm running now is unofficially referred to as the "Intrepid Heroes", quite simply because they are not. It fits quite nicely as we do a recap of the previous session at the start of each session with the Dragonball title card music playing in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

All my groups tend to adopt colour/noun combinations for their names. The first group was the Silver Sentinels, the next was the Crimson Justice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Collateral Damage"

13. - Top - End - #13

The only group I was in that ever managed to agree on a name was named "The Feathers of Riverdale". Riverdale was the region in a custom campaign setting in which we adventured. Feathers because "the feather is mightier than the sword". I think the proverb is "the pen is..." in English, but in German if is translated as feather.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2016-09-12 at 04:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by golem1972 View Post
    "Collateral Damage"
    Turn it into a formal business and call it the Collateral Damage Corporation. Then you can bluff your way into certain situations by introducing yourselves as being from the CDC.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

@Firest Kathon: The word you're probably looking for is "quill". It's a particularly large feather we used to use as a pens. "The Feathers of Riverdale" is a great name!

@DigoDragon: The party also needs a civic minded centaur cleric. The Centaur for Disease Control.

Our longest lasting party was known as the Phoenix Brigade, after we called down a 2E phoenix in the middle of a large urban area to stop a zombie invasion. Even though we burnt down about a quarter of the city in the ensuing firestorm and failed to prevent the zombification of the city, it was declared a strategic and moral victory because it was so awesome haha.

16. - Top - End - #16

In the Pathfinder game I run, the party has unofficially dubbed themselves "Kyann's Peppers". The core of the party (not exactly leader, but oldest member and moral center) of the group is a gnomish cleric named Kyann.

In the 5E game I play in, the group is known as the "Heroes of Saltmarsh", despite the fact that due to people dropping out and being replaced only one party member remains that actually came from Saltmarsh. We're still required to keep the name due to the specific invitation that we have to perform the quest.

17. - Top - End - #17

Translates roughly to "lock and key service", because the Barbarian started referring to his axe as his "special key" when breaking and entering.
    Last edited by Zejety; 2016-09-12 at 10:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It hasn't quite morphed into the official team name yet, but we've started a business in Ravenloft called the Dragon's Claw Brewery. My Cleric of Olidammara has ranks in Profession: Brewer, and we've rescued captured press-ganged employed a Green Dragon Wyrmling to be our mascot/security/business manager while we're off fighting the undead hordes.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2016-09-12 at 12:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

My players have taken to going by either "Alexandryos' [the city in which they live] resident demon slayers" or just referring to themselves as agents of the ADR (Arkhosian Department of Reacquisition), depending on whether they'd get any social benefits for identifying themselves as law enforcement.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

20. - Top - End - #20

My Mutants and Masterminds game had 'McCrow and Friends.' so named by Roger McCrow (an angry, violent, middle-aged drunk with water based powers) solely to exclude his partner from their achievements. They eventually collected a rag-tag group of losers, misfits and psychos to form an actual superteam, but for a while the 'and Friends' was just to troll the other PC because he was too slow to call dibs on naming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

21. - Top - End - #21

I'd like to either play in or run a party of either these characters or characters based off them.

Richard Edgar Castle, birth name Richard Alexander Rogers (Castle) - Pathfinder investigator (sleuth and empiricist hybrid), relatively low level - investigator/social adept/financier/morale

Sterling Malory Archer (Archer) - Pathfinder slayer (Pathfinder assassin base class), thief or (somehow non-Evil) assassin and brawler - fighter/spy/thief/scout/drunk pain in the ass

Edward and Alphonse Elric (Full Metal Alchemist manga and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime) - magic-user/3.5 or Pathfinder wizard for both (if not using Spheres of Power) and some sort of warrior for Edward - battlefield control and support (both), weapon shaper (Edward, can create functional, if needlessly barque melée weapons for himself or others by deconstructing and reconstructing nearby metal)

Jon Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, book continuity and Game of Thrones, show continuity) - some sort of warrior or scout class, relatively lower-leveled than than some of the party but higher-level than Hank and Dean - fighter/scout/sniper (with a bow and arrow) Note: his bastardy may be in question

Gendry (A Song of Ice and Fire, book continuity and Game of Thrones, show continuity) - low level warrior - fighter/support (armor and weapon forging)

Det. Robert Goren (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) - Pathfinder investigator (sleuth and empiricist hybrid), relatively low level - investigator/behavioral profiler/linguistics/contacts with numerous experts in their fields/encyclopedic knowledge of multiple areas of expertise

Hank and Dean Venture (The Venture Brothers) - brawler/scout for Hank and Pathfinder alchemist for Dean, with his alchemy as Super Science(TM), both rather low-level - fighter/scout/infiltration (Hank), support/blowing things up (while screaming, crying and on the verge of wetting his pants)/repair work (Dean)

Terra/Tina Branford (Final Fantasy VI) - 3.5 or Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press psion/warrior class/Pathfinder synthesist summoner - fighter/healer/support/wrath of God in human form/glowing pink-furred rage monster

Thomas Raith (The Dresden Files) - warrior/low-level 3.5 or Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press psion - fighter/charmer/financier/minor league utility spell caster/High Priest of the God of Bowflex/supernatural strongman

Gregory House M.D. (House/House M.D. depending on where in the world you live) - Pathfinder vivisectionist alchemist - healer/thief/pain in the ass/weak point attacker

Bane (DC Comics Batman) - Pathfinder slayer/brawler/Dreamscarred Press warder/Pathfinder alchemist (internal alchemist, vivisectionist and ragechemist) - fighter/mastermind/financier/scout/social adept/token evil teammate/infiltration expert/healer (if and when he feels like it)

What is the party's name you ask? Why it's the Band of Bastards of course! House even picked the name himself.

(Change the shield to gold and the barre sinister to silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I Dm'd for a party that called themselves "The Z-Team" ... because after you've exhausted plans A thru Y, the Z-Team is your last rezort! They would even form their hands into the shape of a 'Z' whenever the party's team name came up. I think the selling point for the name came when the party wizard cried out "Z-Team! Assemble!".

The silliest thing is that the last boss of the campaign was the avatar of an arch devil (the killing blow came as the fighter carved a 'Z' into his chest with a full attack, by the by), and now every time I mention that campaign or that arch-devil in my world's lore, I have to make mention of the legendary "Z-Team" and how they bested and thwarted the Devil Lord of Hatred's plans ro reincarnate on the prime....
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The only group I ever played with who had a name decided to call themselves the 'Peacemaker Company', for the sole excuse of being able to refer to themselves as PCs without breaking character.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    @DigoDragon: The party also needs a civic minded centaur cleric. The Centaur for Disease Control.
    Mwahaha, yes. :D

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The only group I ever played with who had a name decided to call themselves the 'Peacemaker Company', for the sole excuse of being able to refer to themselves as PCs without breaking character.
    That's pretty brilliant. Never had any of my groups come up with that one.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

My group and I have called ourselves the Trollslayers since our first campaign where we slew a lot of trolls.

Current batch of PCs have started being called the Allied Exiles, but that's only after about 50 or 60 sessions of not having a good name that stuck.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

One of my current groups just formed into a mercenary company in Baldur's Gate as the "Flaming Sword Company." Yeah, we know about the Flaming Fist. So what? We have a flaming sword!

My back-up character will have plans to take over the city (We're playing Murder in Baldur's Gate and the GM's open to Lawful Evil played well) and if I succeed, the way to keep my holier companions off my back will be to give the War Cleric full command of the city's garrisons and conscript as many Flaming Fists into Flaming Sword Company as possible. They're soft plans for now, can't ever predict a campaign's longevity.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Before my current game started, another GM and I stole the idea made an homage of Acquisitions Inc. to create Crypt Cleaners, Incorporated (CCI) as the backstory for a Dungeon Crawl Classics character funnel ("recruitment obstacle course"). I used this as the set up for my own game ("Y'all have been hired as an experimental franchise expansion. Here's your first plot hook."), but dropped the larger corporation concept after a few sessions. I've encouraged them to come up with their own name (and they were briefly Ragtag, Inc.), but they always fall back to CCI.

Through a few years of play, they've been in all of one crypt.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

The character who started our current adventuring party named it 'The Obsidian Shards', and while he's gone (RL got in the way), nobody's come up with a better name yet, in or out of character.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The Scourge of Abaddon was one of my more favourite party names. Proposed by the warlock, ratified by the paladin.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Through a series of strange events and a dash of inspiration from our 80's "Hair Metal"-themed Dwarven Bard, our party's name became "Dream Weaver." And, of course, our slogan is "We believe we can get you through the night."