New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Kyton's Chain Dance, what can it do?

I'm considering playing a Kyton via a favorable class progression. I'd like some opinions, experiences, ideas of what they can pull off with Chain Dance. Both RAW and ya that would fly at my table are welcome. They seem to be in a When you only have a hammer . . . situation.

A chain devil’s most awesome attack is its ability to control up to four chains within 20 feet as a standard action, making the chains dance or move as it wishes. In addition, a chain devil can increase these chains’ length by up to 15 feet and cause them to sprout razor-edged barbs. These chains attack as effectively as the devil itself. If a chain is in another creature’s possession, the creature can attempt a DC 15 Will save to break the chain devil’s power over that chain. If the save is successful, the kyton cannot attempt to control that particular chain again for 24 hours or until the chain leaves the creature’s possession. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A chain devil can climb chains it controls at its normal speed without making Climb checks.

1. Can a controlled chain extend out of their field of control?

2. Can dancing chains hover in mid air or do they have to move in a snake like fashion with most of their mass on the ground, like a tentacle anchored to the ground in a single spot? If it can't levitate can it climb walls?

3. Can chains carry the Kyton if they aren't used to attack?

4. Can they quickly construct things from chains? Off the top of my head; animated torture rack, a three rope bridge, hammock?

5. How fast can they raise and lower a ships anchor?

6. Can they quickly dispatch minions wearing chain colars?

7. What cool ideas do you have that you think should work?
    Last edited by Hand_of_Vecna; 2016-09-15 at 07:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Kyton's Chain Dance, what can it do?

Wow' lots of views and no commentary. *bump*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    Wow' lots of views and no commentary. *bump*
    Well, there aren't any RAW references we could pull from, so it's a pretty hard question.

Instinctively, I'd say:
    Yes
    They can as long as they are within the area of influence
    As long as you spent a standard action on it they can
    Only if it doesn't require additional materials or modifications to the chains
    Depends on the material of chains and anchor
    Not more effectively than he could dispatch them himself according to the abilities text
    Last edited by Name1; 2016-09-15 at 10:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    Can a controlled chain extend out of their field of control?
    I'd say that yes, it can; but the part that's outside of their field of control will just sit on the ground (or hang down if it's in midair).

Can dancing chains hover in mid air or do they have to move in a snake like fashion with most of their mass on the ground, like a tentacle anchored to the ground in a single spot? If it can't levitate can it climb walls?
    My ruling would be, they have to be touching the ground somehow. You can't just put the chains in a circle and use them to climb into the sky. Up to the Kyton if they want the chain to be straight or wiggling. I'd say that it could be used to climb walls, if the chain can anchor itself to a surface (like a piton or a grappling hook).

Can chains carry the Kyton if they aren't used to attack?
    Sure!

Can they quickly construct things from chains? Off the top of my head; animated torture rack, a three rope bridge, hammock?
    Possibly, but remember that you're limited to four chains.

How fast can they raise and lower a ships anchor?
    ... really not sure. I'd probably limit it to pulling in an amount of chain equal to the Kyton's base speed, unless there's some rule in Stormwrack that says something different about how fast hoisting anchor is supposed to work. (I'd assume lowering an anchor would just be a matter of either letting gravity do it for you, or removing the safety catch on whatever gizmo is holding it up - somebody who's ever been on a boat bigger than a canoe could probably give you a better answer).

Can they quickly dispatch minions wearing chain colars?
    No reason why not. The collars are not in their control after they move 20 feet though.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2016-09-15 at 11:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Thanks, added helpful numbers for easy reference.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with the previous posts for most of these but 2. bears special mention.

2. is a DM call. It can be interpreted that the term "dance" in that context either means the simple english verb -or- it could be interpreted to mean the weapon special ability dancing. In the latter case, it gets a much clearer set of defined ability, which is why I choose to use that interpretation.

Since dancing shields needn't be in contact with the ground, I don't see any reason the chains should be so bound either.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign