Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,488 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Cult Novitiate B
    Creature - Human Cleric C
    4B,T, Sacrifice Cult Novitiate: Create a 5/5 black horror enchantment creature token.
    Without a strong control over your mind, you can quickly become what you sought to oppose.
    2/1
    Blood, Sweat and Tiers: Epic Adventures in a World of Grievous Power Imbalance My homebrew.
    If I wanted you to use gendered pronouns for me, I'd have a gender marker. Avatar by Pessimismrocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Edit: Since we're at page 49, we'll be needing a new thread soon. Might I suggest "Token genius" as the next thread name?
    I'm down with any thread title that is an Ixalan reference, like "Jurassic Plane", or "I claim this thread for Ixalan", or some literally or figuratively clever one.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2017-09-16 at 10:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

We could repurpose this thread's round 16 challenge, "Mana rocks!"

OR we could go punny with something like "Avians with Vigilance".
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-09-18 at 10:38 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Halfling in the Playground

Underworld's Requisition 1BB
    Sorcery R
    Rebound (If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
    Each player sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls.
    Great warriors do not die when their strength fails them. They die when it is needed elsewhere.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Shared Amnesia - 3BB
    Sorcery - R
    Each player discards his or her hand.
    A remarkably small amount of amnesia wizard students remember to show up for their final exams.

- - - Updated - - -

Idea for new thread name

You Make the Card VI: Create a 6/6 thread token
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Bugbear in the Playground

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Return of the vengeVIne

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Bird Your Bolt

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Warning: Contains Nuts
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2
    Nothing is easy. Life is hard, dying is worse.

I have a lot of PbP games...

Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    I'm not a glorified commoner, I'm an actual commoner. ...but being an aristocrat too, I can still look down my nose at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    that doesn't really mesh well with ending all life everywhere forever, given that doing so will totally dry up the local dating pool.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

MtG - You Make the Card VI: RWU the funny things you do.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Barbarian in the Playground

Personally I like MtG - You Make the Card VI: Mana Rocks!

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Grading will probably be done Thursday.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    5e: Orianna OOC IC
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

MtG - You Make the Card VI: This post enters the thread tapped.

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Post enter the thread with a signature counter on them.

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Posts you control gain hexproof.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Eternis
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternis View Post
    Immortality 7WWW
    Enchantment
    You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
    I like that you went straight for something powerful and awesome. Frankly this card should really exist and I'm amazed it doesn't. Or at least some variant of this card. The problem I see (which is probably why they haven't made it) is that enchantments are kind of hard to interact with, so if you have this someone playing Red/Black can almost never ever win the game. But I love the splashiness here, I love how awesome this effect is and I'm glad to see it here.

You forgot a rarity; I assume this can't be anything less than Mythic.

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Study the Frontier 1UG
    Enchantment U
    Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature, then put the card back on top or into your graveyard. Explore before drawing.)
    "We must understand this land before we can exploit it for its own good."
    I like that you brought two mechanics together which seem disparate but perhaps might work better than we thought. I also like the line of text "target creature explores," I hope we get to see that text on some cards before exploration leaves us. Obviously the biggest problem with this card is that it doesn't work by itself at all. I would probably have stuck with your original card and tried it in a different contest, as you've just got a card that doesn't do much here and I'm not really sure exactly how I'm using it since I have to have a bunch of clues and a bunch of creatures so I can draw into more lands or something? The flavor is spot on, though.

Spoiler: Gauntlet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Runo Stromkirk - 2UR
    Legendary Creature - Vampire Wizard - Mythic

Flying, Prowess

Blue and/or Red Instant and Sorcery cards you own have Madness X(U/R), where X is that card's converted mana cost.

Madness 1UR

3/3
    I like that you didn't let the contest stop you from doing something rather complex and powerful. As it turns out, even though this card is really rather complicated, it reads very simply which I think makes it much easier to show how splashy and powerful the effect is. You're drawn to that one line of text which just brims with possibility. I'm not actually sure how to feel about this card; it certainly makes me think, and raises some interesting possibilities. I'm not sure how powerful this is card actually is, but it's exciting and I'd love to try it out.

I'm pretty sure you can just write "Blue or red instant and sorcery cards you own have...," based on the wording of cards like Flashfreeze.

I'm not sure if this is an existing character, but if it is I've never heard of them. I assume this card is legendary mostly for flavor reasons or so you can make it a commander.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Enigma Tomb 3
    Artifact - R
    Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may instead put it into your library third from the top.
    The whole "coming back on the third day" trick lost its mystique when everybody started copying it.
    I like that you've done something very novel with a simple line of text. This card certainly feels strange, and I'm not sure exactly what I would do with it. There's power, but replacing a draw and having to wait a while to get a creature makes this card very hard to evaluate exactly. I think the worst part is that this card feels like it will be really fiddly to play with, since you'll basically have to have your top 3 cards of your deck separate from the rest of your deck at all times so you know exactly where to put all your creatures.

Also I think you could just use "dies" on this card.

Spoiler: Bucky
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Boon Seeker 1(W/G)
    Creature - Elf Scout C
    Aura spells you cast that target Boon Seeker cost (2) less to cast.
    2/2
    I like that this card works really well as a common. This obviously points to some aura theme and gives you a clear way to get some auras down fast. I'm not sure if this is too much of a mana discount for auras in Limited; I suppose it depends on the auras in question.

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Mark of the Grave 1BB
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant creature
    Whenever enchanted creature attacks, defending player creates a 1/1 black Spirit creature token with deathtouch and flying.
    "Wherever it goes, death follows."
    I like that you made a very interesting aura by doing something a bit unusual and careful with the wording. The idea of turning the opponent's creature into a source of advantage for you is a really cool space for auras that can result in some really cool cards. I like the space that this card explores of making a creature not want to attack but not necessarily negating it completely. Pretty impressed by this one, I think.

Spoiler: LastCenturion
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Disarmament -- 2WWWW
    Sorcery -- Mythic
    If the total power among creatures you control is greater than an opponent's life total, and the total power among creatures that player controls is greater than your life total, the game is a draw.
    I like that you didn't allow the contest restrictions to stop you from doing something a little complex. I think the problem with your card is that I just don't want to play it. For doing some work to arrange the board exactly how I want it, I get to...cause a draw? Really? I paid 6 mana for a draw? Why don't I just win instead? I get the flavor here, but the reward of "we draw" isn't really a great reward. I'd try to make your card more exciting, but I'm not sure how to do that without breaking the flavor.

Spoiler: TurboGhast
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Fiery Shockwave XXR
    Sorcery - U
    ~ deals X damage to up to X target creatures or players.
    I like that you tried to take something that's never been made at so low a rarity and pushed it down to that level. The splashiness here is awesome, but given how quickly this gets out of hand this is the sort of card I think would be really scary to put in a limited set. At 2R this is terrible, 4R this a pretty reasonable card, and at anything higher than that this card is utterly insane and probably says "you win the game" on it. But I'm also not sure how bad that is, since making you pay 7 for a big spell certainly seems right. The thing is, I'm not sure they'd ever print the 6R version of this (or anything that's just strictly better) at uncommon, which means I don't think this card can really ever be an uncommon. I'd be willing to try it out, though, and I'd be willing to be proven wrong.

Spoiler: somethingrandom
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    Planer Exclusion WUBRG
    Enchainment - R
    Players can't cast Planswalker spells.
    I will not have outsiders meddling with my plane.
    I like that you found a simple ability that feels powerful and strong. This card does have a strong effect, though not always strong. I'm not sure this card really needs to exist, though; frankly, there's a lot of feel-bad to "you just can't play any of this card type." I think it's better to have cards with some play, rather than "I just completely and totally lock out a strategy trying to do Thing X," as it leads to counterplay rather than "you just can't play Planeswalker decks while this card exists."

I think just based on what this card depicts, I would make it a Mythic. The effect certainly feels mythic-level powerful, and I can tell you I would be completely furious if I opened this as my rare in Limited.

Also, I'm pretty sure Enchainments aren't a permanent type, and you meant the word "Planar". I assume that was a typo.

Spoiler: braveheart
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Nature's Purge 1GG
    Enchantment - R
    All other enchantments and artifacts lose all abilities.
    While I may give this feedback a lot this round, I like that you just went for something straightforward and novel. "Oh, this hasn't been done before, let's do that!" That kind of thinking is great, and I'd pursue it in the future if it leads to cards like this.

All that said, I don't think they can print this card without a brick of reminder text, and then even I don't know that they would. This card has so many awkward rules implications that I'm pretty sure that they'd just never print it, because as it turns out losing all abilities results in some really weird stuff happening that I think Wizards would rather just avoid on a permanent effect. For example, I think you're wrong about auras; nothing in the rules says noncreature permanents can't be attached to other permanents, and none of the auras in play have an "Enchant" ability that would otherwise cause them to fall off if they were attached to the wrong thing, so I think they just stay attached and do nothing. Certainly equipment would do just that. But I'm not completely sure, so that's something that would have to get cleared up.

On a design level, I think this card is actually probably white, not green, as white is, at least most recently, the color that makes things lose all abilities. Maybe it could be blue, as blue has also done some of that recently, but blue only tends to do it when it's transforming things and even that has been said to be a stretch of the pie. I'd just stick this at 1WW rather than 1GG.

Spoiler: Mister Tom
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    Exclusivity 1U

Enchantment- Aura -U
    Enchant creature

Creature spells sharing a creature type with enchanted creature cost an extra 2 to cast.

One at a time, please.
    I like that you tried to make a card that did exactly what you want. Please, in the future, put in the effort to make your cards read as proper Magic cards, especially when I explicitly state that you should take care to do so in the contest description. I am putting in effort to grade ideas and give feedback; please show me the same courtesy and don't make me translate your cards to do so.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Shrine Diviner - 1W
    When Shrine Diviner enters the battlefield, create a colorless Shrine enchantment token. (It doesn't have any abilities.)
    "We build it here."
    "But sir! It's on the property of the Daimyo! On top of a snake den! Next to a cliff!"
    "Of course it is. How else would I have known where to build it?"

2/2
    I like that you've made a card that references an old mechanic and tries to bring it new life. There's something to be said for that. Unfortunately, this card just isn't particularly exciting. It's maybe interesting, but interesting doesn't mean good. Were you not competing with anyone else's card designs, I might look at this and think about it, but the fact is this card doesn't do anything and doesn't necessarily push a random player to do something. I can see what you're doing, but this is a kind of nothing way to do it.

Also I'd be super concerned about this card at common in Limited, given that the Hondens are all mostly completely insane once you have 2 of them. You don't want to play against any of the Hondens at 3, even if they don't have any others. The fact that this is a common is very concerning, as it means you better be supporting shrines at common, and I don't know what set this card is in but I don't know that that game play would even be fun.

Spoiler: Nate the Snake
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    Lazotep Mummy 3WU
    Creature - Zombie R
    Other white Zombie creatures you control enter the battlefield with base power and toughness 4/4.
    "Our servants must be as strong as the God-Pharaoh's."
    4/4
    I like that you tried to make something interesting involving some of the recent mechanics. The problem is that this card doesn't work particularly well, by which I mean I have no idea how it works properly. I assume you meant for the creatures to enter as 4/4s and then be 4/4s forever, but my initial reading of this card was that they would enter as 4/4s and then, once they'd finished entering as 4/4s, stop being 4/4s? In any case, I think 1) making this blue is super weird, even though I can see it's intended to use with Embalm it just doesn't really make sense to me mechanically and 2) I think this ability needs reminder text, as it's not obvious by reading it what I'm supposed to be using it with. It's very sketchy to make an effect that permanently changes power and toughness of creatures without somehow marking that it's done so, as memory is a big issue in physical games. I appreciate that you tried to do something very novel and interesting with only a sentence of rules text, but I'm not sure this exact card would ever be made based on the issues I've described.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Cult Novitiate B
    4B,T, Sacrifice Cult Novitiate: Create a 5/5 black horror enchantment creature token.
    Without a strong control over your mind, you can quickly become what you sought to oppose.
    2/1
    I like that you stuck with a common creature and tried to make something that was interesting both at the beginning of the game and the later parts. My biggest problems with this card are that I think you pushed it a bit too far. A 2/1 for 1 that turns into a 5/5 on 5 mana is probably an uncommon, not a common. That's a bit too cheap for that. I think if it had a weaker body, like a 2/1 for 2, then it might be more reasonable to be common. I'm also not really sure why it makes an enchantment creature; there's not really any reason for it to do that since enchantment creatures are only known for being Lucent Limind and creatures of Nyx. Ignoring that random choice, overall I think that either the rarity isn't right or some part of this card should be a little weaker, but I like the simplicity and the flavor here. This is one successful cultist, in a way, since they summon a demon by themself. I guess less successful in that they die, but maybe that was their plan all along?

Spoiler: Passive Pete
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    Underworld's Requisition 1BB
    Sorcery R
    Rebound (If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
    Each player sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls.
    Great warriors do not die when their strength fails them. They die when it is needed elsewhere.
    I like that you tried to expand the contest and made a rebound card, which I thought was pretty cool.
    There's something to be gained from taking an element like Rebound and applying it to something simple. I think this card is a powerful, enticing removal spell. Probably too enticing; killing their strongest creatures for only 3 mana is really strong, and you know that you're only playing this when you're behind so you aren't losing a whole lot with it. I think this would be just as interesting without the "greatest power" rider, and given that, as far as we know, that's not a black-only ability, I'd be inclined to say this card maybe wants to cost more mana or be also white. Overall I liked the use of rebound here, though and I think this is a pretty solid design.

Spoiler: Ninjaman
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Shared Amnesia - 3BB
    Sorcery - R
    Each player discards his or her hand.
    A remarkably small amount of amnesia wizard students remember to show up for their final exams.
    I like that this card isn't trying to cheat to do more, it has a super-splashy text line that makes me think. I would improve the splash maybe by pushing this card a little, but overall I like what you've done here. It's simple, it's splashy, and it really sells itself well. Think more on the power of simple cards when you're making cards in the future; this one is actually a pretty strong hit for me.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Mark of the Grave by ben-zayb, for doing something simple that I was sure would see print and that tickled my fancy. There were a lot of good submissions this time, though. As it turns out, simplicity can lead you to some rather good designs.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I like that you didn't allow the contest restrictions to stop you from doing something a little complex. I think the problem with your card is that I just don't want to play it. For doing some work to arrange the board exactly how I want it, I get to...cause a draw? Really? I paid 6 mana for a draw? Why don't I just win instead? I get the flavor here, but the reward of "we draw" isn't really a great reward. I'd try to make your card more exciting, but I'm not sure how to do that without breaking the flavor.
    My belief at the time of making the card (which has been changed since glancing through the Comprehensive Rules) was that if the game is a draw, both players lose the game simultaneously. It turns out that it's the other way around; if all players lose the game simultaneously, the game is a draw. My intention was to make it a win-condition with Platinum Angel effects, and a neat trick for Limited where you win game 1 and can side it in to hold on against a deck with better late-game than you. I was also really going for the "mutually assured destruction" feeling, so in retrospect both players losing the game makes much more sense.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2
    Nothing is easy. Life is hard, dying is worse.

I have a lot of PbP games...

Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    I'm not a glorified commoner, I'm an actual commoner. ...but being an aristocrat too, I can still look down my nose at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    that doesn't really mesh well with ending all life everywhere forever, given that doing so will totally dry up the local dating pool.

13. - Top - End - #1483

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can just write "Blue or red instant and sorcery cards you own have...," based on the wording of cards like Flashfreeze.

I'm not sure if this is an existing character, but if it is I've never heard of them. I assume this card is legendary mostly for flavor reasons or so you can make it a commander.
    The wording 'blue OR red instant AND sorcery' felt a bit wrong - like the spell could be blue or red, but had to be both an instant and a sorcery. The 'instant AND sorcery' part, though, already has precedent on other cards, so that part sort of has to stay, and I went for and/or as a way of making it clear what's going on without having that strange wording.

Runo Stromkirk is the progenitor of the Stromkirk line of vampires on Innistrad. I was really hoping he would get printed in Commander 2017, since we've seen the other progenitors now (Edgar Markov, Olivia Voldaren). He's into the cults and secret-delving side of things in the Innistrad storylines, and going by some of the Eldritch Moon flavor text, is likely to be involved in the Emrakul cults in some way.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

I found precedent for the and/or wording, so my bad on that one. It didn't affect how I felt about your card, in any case. Nor did my lack of knowledge about who you were referencing.
    Last edited by tgva8889; Today at 03:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh, didn't expect that one! Thanks! Uhm...

OPEN FLOOR!

PS Shouldn't we also start the new thread now?

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Oh, didn't expect that one! Thanks! Uhm...

OPEN FLOOR!

PS Shouldn't we also start the new thread now?
    Make Alternate goodguy versions of a villain.

I like praetors if my avvie didn't tip you off.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; Today at 01:13 PM.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs

My New Ask Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

17. - Top - End - #1487

ElfMonkGuy

Maybe make a new thread and all submissions to the new challenge can go there?

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Colossus in the Playground

She's a friend of mine and currently at work. I have dealt with it.

NEW THREAD.

Wind Waker Zodi by Pinkhaired August. Winds, obey my command!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August.