New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Using A Combat Scabbard

I've been told the combat scabbard is from Ultimate Equipment, but I can't find it there.

I'm also not quite sure how it works. Can anyone use it to deal nonlethal damage without taking a feat, or is it more involved?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Using A Combat Scabbard

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's a scabbard with weapon stats. How it works:

1) It has the Improvised quality, so you will take a penalty with it unless you have Catch Off-Guard or similar.

2) There are two versions of it (i.e. Fighter weapon groups) depending on the weapon it was designed to hold; if it's meant to hold a light blade (e.g. a shortsword), it gets added to the Close group, and if it was designed to hold a heavy blade (i.e. 1H, like a longsword) then it becomes a hammer.

3) It has a unique ability whereby you can draw both it and the weapon it contains (if applicable) using a move and swift action before feats. (Or if you have +1 BAB, you can charge, then draw your weapon as part of the charge and draw it as a swift etc.) Or you can just use it by itself if its empty (e.g. the King confiscated your weapons etc.)

3) Taking Equipment Trick unlocks a series of other abilities your can use with a combat scabbard. The majority of these are designed for the heavy version of the scabbard - at GM discretion, some may work with the light one, but by default they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

There seem to be two variants, both from Adventurer's Armory: Combat Scabbard and Sharpened Combat Scabbard.

The normal combat scabbard is an improvised weapon (so you get -4 on your attack rolls, use Catch Off-Guard to avoid this), but it deals lethal damage. The sharpened variant is not an improvised weapon, so you can use it without penalty (as long as your are proficient with martial weapons) for lethal damage. As usual, you can take an (additional) -4 penalty on the attack roll with eiter variant of the scabbard to deal non-lethal damage instead.

Using the Equipment Trick feat allows you to use additional options with the feats listed there. None of these options allow you to deal non-lethal damage without the associated penalty. You can use the Bludgeoner feat for the scabbard (but not the sharpened scabbard) to avoid that penalty, or Stage Combatant for either option.

Edit: Ninja'd. And the second time today by Psyren...
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2016-09-14 at 09:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Psyren
    It has a unique ability whereby you can draw both it and the weapon it contains (if applicable) using a move and swift action before feats.
    So, you're essentially pulling out a scabbard that still has a sword in it, and hitting with that?

Originally Posted by Firest Kathon
    The normal combat scabbard is an improvised weapon (so you get -4 on your attack rolls, use Catch Off-Guard to avoid this), but it deals lethal damage.

…None of these options allow you to deal non-lethal damage without the associated penalty
    Interesting, thanks.

I had a player use one of these in our last session, which threw me, because I hadn't heard of it before (and didn't know his character had one). He claimed it was from Ultimate Equipment and could do 1d4 nonlethal, but with a single -4 penalty.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I had a player use one of these in our last session, which threw me, because I hadn't heard of it before (and didn't know his character had one). He claimed it was from Ultimate Equipment and could do 1d4 nonlethal, but with a single -4 penalty.
    Your player is mistaken - neither version is in UE. They came from Adventurer's Armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    Edit: Ninja'd. And the second time today by Psyren...
    *Hurls smoke bomb, vanishing*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    The normal combat scabbard is an improvised weapon...but it deals lethal damage.
    Are you implying improvised weapons usually deal non-lethal damage?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlurenDarkfire View Post
    Are you implying improvised weapons usually deal non-lethal damage?
    No, I did not. Sorry if it came over like that. I was referring to the OPs "use it to deal nonlethal damage without taking a feat", implying that it would deal non-lethal damage by default, which is not the case. Therefor I tried to emphasize that fact.