Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 345
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Small question guys can someone help me to build shawl as weapon using this system
    Well... Depending on what you want, I'd give it the Attached modification (2 pts, it's "attached" to your clothes, after all). But if you still need to hold it in your hand to attack, I'd give it the 1 pt version of "Attached" (held object) and perhaps the "Minor Utility" and "Concealable" modifications as well.

    Other than that... It depends on what kind of weapon you want it to be. I'm guessing it's some sort of blade weapon, since making it heavy enough to be used as bludgeoning instrument would make it quite the uncomfortable shawl.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-06-30 at 12:57 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    I'm pretty satisfied with modifications (and flaws), there are lots of them, and they all feel useful, interesting and unique enough to warrant their presence. I can't think of anything I'm missing on that front (although,I suppose that I could think of it, it wouldn't be missing ), so I don't have any immediate plans to add new ones, unless I have a really good idea or (more likely to happen) get a really cool suggestion.

    So I wanted to ask...

    What would YOU like to see added to this project?

    More special materials? More feats? More optional rules? Something else entirely?

    I'd love to hear your ideas.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-06-30 at 12:55 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Kinda not much if you ask me but how about my colapsible idea for modification for helboy spear
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


  4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'm pretty satisfied with modifications (and flaws), there are lots of them, and they all feel useful, interesting and unique enough to warrant their presence. I can't think of anything I'm missing on that front (although,I suppose that I could think of it, it wouldn't be missing ), so I don't have any immediate plans to add new ones, unless I have a really good idea or (more likely to happen) get a really cool suggestion.

    So I wanted to ask...

    What would YOU like to see added to this project?

    More special materials? More feats? More optional rules? Something else entirely?

    I'd love to hear your ideas.
    only think i missed lately is a version of Double that allows the other weapon to be non light. A mod that lets your transform your weapon into something else as a swift action or so. (oh yes im thinking of RWBY).
    Plus the Spikard thing i mentioned a long time ago, but that has been added somewhat with other mods. But dont worry, when i think of something new ill let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'm pretty satisfied with modifications (and flaws), there are lots of them, and they all feel useful, interesting and unique enough to warrant their presence. I can't think of anything I'm missing on that front (although,I suppose that I could think of it, it wouldn't be missing ), so I don't have any immediate plans to add new ones, unless I have a really good idea or (more likely to happen) get a really cool suggestion.

    So I wanted to ask...

    What would YOU like to see added to this project?

    More special materials? More feats? More optional rules? Something else entirely?

    I'd love to hear your ideas.
    With some thought, I've had a few ideas, if you'll allow me to input. Mostly expanding the ranged weapons and ammunition parts of the system. Instead of having ranged weapons listed by damage type, as you have done, just keep them as a standard damage value that can be modified by ammunition. For the purposes of this, we can assume that the default ranged weapon type is piercing, so we just have those values as your tables currently have. The same goes for range, reload, etc. based on weapon category and the like.

    Ammunition, however, can modify the various factors on a weapon. For this purpose, I propose a new modification category: the [Ammunition Template] type. So far, I have thought of three: Razor, Siege, and Slug. There's also a few modifications to ammo that I think there should be allowed to be used.

    Spoiler: Ammunition Modifications
    Show


    On top of the below modifications, I believe the standard Additional Damage Type, Increased Damage Die, Improved Critical Multiplier, Improved Range, and Improved Critical Threat Range should be allowed as well, at their normal values. Since ammunition does not, in actuality, have their own stats, we treat these as single-use modifications to their launchers.

    Incendiary: Through use of alchemist's fire or similar, the ammunition is capable of lighting enemies on fire upon being hit. When hit, the target may make a DC 15 Reflex save or catch fire.
    Requirements: Alchemical (Fire) modification. Craft Points: 1 CP

    Razor [Template]: Ammunition with the Razor template change their damage type to slashing as well as allowing on each hit to deal 1d4 points of bleeding damage to the target. Any form of magical healing or a DC 20 Heal check stops this bleeding. However, the weapon's damage die decreases by one step as well. Additionally, due to the thinner and more aerodynamic shape of the projectile, it increases the weapons range increment by one step (see table 3.02 - Weapon Range Progression Table).
    Cost: As normal ammunition. Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1.

    Siege [Template]: This type of ammunition is designed to be launched from large siege engines, such as catapults, ballistas, or cannons. This modification overall has no modifications to the ammunition's stats, but simply allow siege ammunition to be designed in this system.
    Special: Any ammunition costs incurred by ammunition modifications in multiplied by 10 when applied to siege engines.
    Special: This template can be added onto other ammunition templates. This is an exception to the normal rules that more than one modification of the same category cannot be used at once.
    Cost: As normal price for the siege engine's ammunition. Requirements: None. Craft Points: 0.

    Slug [Template]: Ammunition with the Slug template have their damage die increased by one size (see table 3.01 - Weapon Damage Progression) and change their type to bludgeoning. However, the weapons range increment drops by 1 (see table 3.02 - Weapon Range Progression Table).
    Cost: As normal ammunition. Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1.


    Additionally, I believe ammunition should have their own flaws as well, though I do not know what maximum amount of value they should have, or how many. For the current purposes, I'm going to assume three flaws for 2 CP, as martial weapons.

    Spoiler: Amunition Flaws
    Show
    Nonlethal: This ammunition only does nonlethal damage to its target.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Point Value: 0 CP (1 CP if used with Slug Ammunition).

    Unstable: Due to some quirk in the ammunition's design, manufacturing, or composition, the ammunition can accidentally damage its own firing mechanism. This increases the misfire value (as the Unreliable Flaw) by +1 or, if the weapon did not have the unreliable flaw, it gains one with a value of 1.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Point Value: 1 CP.

    I also believe the Reduced Damage Die, Reduced Range, Reduced Critical Multiplier and Reduced Critical Threat Range flaws would be appropriate additions at their normal values.



    If I think of more stuff, I'll edit this post and add them.
    Last edited by BioCharge; 2017-07-05 at 04:58 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    It has been a while Lemmy,

    any updates in the pipeline or is this project pretty much finished?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    It has been a while Lemmy,

    any updates in the pipeline or is this project pretty much finished?
    Hello! Thanks for posting...

    No, it's not that the project is finished... I just needed a break (I've been working on this homebrew for a looong time). And some playtest showed some of my ideas either didn't work or slowed the game down waaaaay too much.

    But... More than anything... I really haven't had a lot of free time lately. What little time I have for RPGs, I'm using to actually playing and GMing.

    I do have a few class archetypes for Fighters, Magus and Paladins... But I'm not fully satisfied with them yet.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    inuyasha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    gehenna
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    This project is going to include archetypes? Wow, that's a nifty addition!
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

    My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

    Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

    trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Well.. I added a (incomplete) Custom Weapon List to the document. Particularly useful or GMs who want weapon selection to mean something but don't want to give access to all possibilities of weapon design to their players right off the bat. I think everything is correct, but I'm not sure... I should probably check it out later. Maybe make every axe a Chop weapon...

    Personally, I really like giving PCs a limited list at the beginning of the campaign, then giving them the opportunity to expand their list as the game goes on.

    I also added the list of Weapon Groups... Just for convenience. I somehow forgot that was a thing and that weapons have to belong to at least one of them.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-09-27 at 11:15 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Important update!

    I added a Special Thanks to Swaoeaeieu for helping me with the Custom Weapon List. He deserves it, and I gotta keep my word!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-09-27 at 05:53 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Important update!

    I added a Special Thanks to Swaoeaeieu for helping me with the Custom Weapon List. He deserves it, and I gotta keep my word!
    Oi besides french bastard i am to in this project as crazy creation expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


  12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Important update!

    I added a Special Thanks to Swaoeaeieu for helping me with the Custom Weapon List. He deserves it, and I gotta keep my word!
    glad to help. will start using the system in my own campaign soon. will keep updated if i run into something noteworthy
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Oi besides french bastard i am to in this project as crazy creation expert
    Indeed. You and Inuyasha, Noob and Talonhawke as well. At the moment, Swaoeaeieu got an special mention on the Custom Weapon List chapter because I promised that I'd give one to whoever helped me with my Custom Weapon List. And he did.

    But fear not, my friend. I do intend to add a Special Thanks chapter to thank all of you who have been here for so long, giving me invaluable feedback. There are just too many people to thank, so I can't squeeze everyone's name in without messing everything. If there's something Paizo taught me... Is that ignoring feedback is a sure-fire way to end up with a terribly designed product (cough *Swashbuckler* cough).
    Homebrew Stuff:

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    You know... It's actually kinda amazing how far this project has come... I remember when I first had the idea and started working on it... I had maybe a dozen different weapon modifications in half as many pages (including summary and FAQ). And I never thought I'd expand much more than that... Now I have no idea how many modifications there are, and the document is bordering on 30 pages (and growing)! Not to mention things like Weapon Flaws and Special Ammo and Special Materials, which I could only dream of when I started it all.

    I'm not proud of much, but I'm sincerely proud of this project. And very grateful to all of you who volunteered your time and ideas to give me the feedback to keep this project always growing and evolving into something better. I actually get excited about using this homebrew in my games. It's so much fun!

    In fact, let's make a quick quiz:
    What are your favorite modifications, flaws, materials, feats and custom weapon you created so far?

    I think I know mine:

    Modification: Extendable. I always thought spears and whips were really cool... And having a sword that can suddenly become a spear is just too awesome! People in medieval eras would kill for something like this!
    Flaw: I'd say Overheat... It allows the creation of many sci-fi/magitech weapons. It's a great expansion to the project! Impractical Reload and Treacherous are really cool as well.
    Material: Not many to choose from... But I really like the idea alignment-metals, since it sincerely feels like weapons/armor forged n heaven (or hell). But picking all of them feels like cheating... So if I ahd to choose just one, I'd go with Lacus. The idea of a sword forged with hellfire that is incredibly powerful but slowly corrupts its user is just too cool! Cliche, but cool!
    Feat: Warrior Smith! Easy! Along with the Extendable modification, this is one of my favorite things in the project. It's a crafting feat for non-spellcasters that actually works! Amazing :O! I just can help but love the idea of an adventuring blacksmith that travels the world to further master his craft, both by seeing new weapon designs and by facing monstrous opponents and imagining what weapon features would be most efficient against them (dibs on that character concept! ).
    Custom Weapon: Man... I created so many of these, I think I don't even remember all of them at this point... But I gotta say... Even though it was one of the first weapons I created, Yang's Ember Celica is still one of my favorites. It was so much fun to design something that's cool, functional and close to the source material. I love it!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-09-28 at 09:35 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Did you ever want to add exotic weapons to the sample list as well?
    since we did simple and martial i might as well do some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Did you ever want to add exotic weapons to the sample list as well?
    since we did simple and martial i might as well do some more.
    well if you have time then why the heck not go for it mate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


  17. - Top - End - #287
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    well if you have time then why the heck not go for it mate?
    because there are a ungodly amount of statted exotic weapons. i dont wanna do all of them, thought that making a list with Lemmy would be better way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    I did add some exotic weapons already... But the ide aof the list is not to stat every weapon in the books (why do that? we already have the books!). The idea is to stat a few sample weapons... Make them different enough from each other that choosing them is an actual choice, despite the list being much shorter than the list in RAW.

    Basically, the whole goal is to have a shorter list with greater variety.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Weapon Modification Possibilities:

    There are some weapons that can be pulled back to hand after being thrown via a rope tied to it or something like that... Would that make a good Modification? I could call it "Retrievable" or something... Sounds a bit too similar to simply having a whip weapon, mechanically speaking. Would it make sense to add such possibility to ranged weapons in general (like using a rope to tie the arrow to the bow).

    I'm working on that "Collapsible" weapon mod, the one that would make weapons easier to carry... But I don't know what to make of the different parts of the collapsible weapon. There are no mechanics for carrying stuff, in any case, so I'm also not sure how to make it mechanically relevant.

    The "Adaptive" weapon mod is in the works... But balancing it is really freaking difficult. Not sure how to make it good enough that's worth taking it (instead of simply adding whatever mod if emulates instead) without making it too good (why pick a single mod for that price, when you can have two of them?). I really want to make this one work, but I'm stuck.

    I'd like a modification that lets the enhancement bonus be used on spell attacks... But that sounds more like a special material or magical property for me. What do you guys think?

    I thought about making a modification that makes Concentration checks easier for the wielder (or harder for the opponent), but I don't know how to justify such effects without getting magic involved.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-10-05 at 01:36 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Well, this is my current version of "Adaptive".

    Adaptive: As a move action, the wielder of an adaptive weapon can activate a different aspect of the weapon, giving it an additional modification in exchange for gaining an weapon flaw of equal or greater cp value. The modification and flaw are both selected at the time of the weaponís creation, and cannot be changed without completely reshaping it. The weapon must fulfill all the requirements for both the adaptation and flaw, including modification category limitations.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 0* + Modification cost (maximum total of +2).

    I feel it's a bit too easy to exploit, though...

    Also... Should Extendable cost 3 cp? I've been thinking about it, and 2cp might be a bit too cheap for such an useful modification.

    EDIT: I added a "Bayonet" modification... For you crazy folk who want to attach a dagger to your crossbow. Works similar to the Splitting property, but only one weapon requires the modification (although the cp rpice is slightly higher).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-10-06 at 08:31 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    A quick preview of a couple modifications in development...

    Spoiler: Retrievable
    Show
    This weapon has a string or chain attached to it, that allows it to be retrieved if dropped or thrown. Retrieving the weapon is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. This modification stops the weapon from being dropped or thrown farther than 30 ft from you (effectively limiting its range as a thrown weapon), unless the link between them is severed.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1


    Spoiler: Scabbard
    Show
    This weapon is an scabbard modified to work as a weapon by on its own. It can fit another weapon with its same general shape inside. By itself, scabbards arenít very practical to wield, causing a -2 penalty to attack rolls when used. However, when the another weapon is inside, itís possible to wield the weapon with the scabbard on top of it, in which case no penalty is applied. When used in such way, attacks made with scabbard use the [Handle] modifications (if any) of the sheathed weapon, but all other stats and modifications are replaced by that of the scabbard.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1


    I'm also trying to come up with a few "Weapon Tricks" for a future chapter... Basically, they are "pseudo-feats" that reflect different ways weapons were used, but aren't powerful enough to require feats. Things like half-swording, murder strokes, punching people with your hand-guard, reflecting the sun into their eyes, etc.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    A quick preview of a couple modifications in development...

    Spoiler: Retrievable
    Show
    This weapon has a string or chain attached to it, that allows it to be retrieved if dropped or thrown. Retrieving the weapon is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. This modification stops the weapon from being dropped or thrown farther than 30 ft from you (effectively limiting its range as a thrown weapon), unless the link between them is severed.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1


    Spoiler: Scabbard
    Show
    This weapon is an scabbard modified to work as a weapon by on its own. It can fit another weapon with its same general shape inside. By itself, scabbards arenít very practical to wield, causing a -2 penalty to attack rolls when used. However, when the another weapon is inside, itís possible to wield the weapon with the scabbard on top of it, in which case no penalty is applied. When used in such way, attacks made with scabbard use the [Handle] modifications (if any) of the sheathed weapon, but all other stats and modifications are replaced by that of the scabbard.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 1


    I'm also trying to come up with a few "Weapon Tricks" for a future chapter... Basically, they are "pseudo-feats" that reflect different ways weapons were used, but aren't powerful enough to require feats. Things like half-swording, murder strokes, punching people with your hand-guard, reflecting the sun into their eyes, etc.
    i myself cant imagine using retrievable at any point. but someone else might.
    but i liked scabbard better when it was just a utility,minor effect. it was cheaper and didnt have a penalty XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    i myself cant imagine using retrievable at any point. but someone else might.
    but i liked scabbard better when it was just a utility,minor effect. it was cheaper and didnt have a penalty XD
    Yeah... Retrievable is more for completion's sake, because of the aklys.

    The Scabbard mod... Well... Being able to do things like change your type of damage with a "Utility, Minor" didn't feel right. And it had no clear rules for differentiating betweem fighting with the scabbard by itself or while it has another weapon inside.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Hey Lemmy, Awesome system dude! SEriously! But I'm either blind or there's something missing. Base Ammo Capacity, I didn't find anything in the doc about what the base ammo capacity for a firearm would be. Is that something I would come up with and just choose a starting progression step?

    Currently building an NPC for a gestalt single-player campaign I'm going to be running with the missus, a Spheres of Might Blacksmith//Technician, and the eventual weapon he's going to have is a Maul-Axe/Sniper Railgun double weapon. I was planning to use your system to build the exotic double weapon firearm (freeing up the Technician's Inventions class feature from spending the 'improvements' on Integrated Weapon or Integrated Firearm, but still use the Technician's "Railgun" invention improvement)... Buuut after reading three times and a lot of CTRL+F, I can't seem to find anything on what the base ammo capacity for an Exotic 2-handed Ranged Firearm would be. It's going to be 1, whether it's chosen or reduced with Decreased Ammo Capacity (giving it more build points). Just want to find out if these progressions start off at the minimum, or what.

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    Hey Lemmy, Awesome system dude! SEriously! But I'm either blind or there's something missing. Base Ammo Capacity, I didn't find anything in the doc about what the base ammo capacity for a firearm would be. Is that something I would come up with and just choose a starting progression step?

    Currently building an NPC for a gestalt single-player campaign I'm going to be running with the missus, a Spheres of Might Blacksmith//Technician, and the eventual weapon he's going to have is a Maul-Axe/Sniper Railgun double weapon. I was planning to use your system to build the exotic double weapon firearm (freeing up the Technician's Inventions class feature from spending the 'improvements' on Integrated Weapon or Integrated Firearm, but still use the Technician's "Railgun" invention improvement)... Buuut after reading three times and a lot of CTRL+F, I can't seem to find anything on what the base ammo capacity for an Exotic 2-handed Ranged Firearm would be. It's going to be 1, whether it's chosen or reduced with Decreased Ammo Capacity (giving it more build points). Just want to find out if these progressions start off at the minimum, or what.
    Hey, TGP! thanks for the interest in my humble project. I'm glad you like it.

    Let me clear your doubts... This system was created with medieval/renaissance weapons in mind (but it's by no means limited to that! There's plenty of options for advanced/magitech weapons as well!), and as such, the standard ammo capacity is... 1. Because you know... That's how many projectiles bows, crossbows and flintlock pistols can shoot before having to reload.

    But do not despair! As I note in the "Technology & Weapon Modifications" session (found in page 6), this can be changed and adapted to different settings and technological levels. Take a look at the text in bold:

    Quote Originally Posted by Technology & Weapon Modifications
    Some weapon modifications (such as Firearm and Crank (Automatic)) may require a higher level of technological advancement than what is present in a certain setting. As such, these modifications may be restricted to exotic weapons, make the weapon far more expensive, only be known to certain people or even not exist at all.On the other hand, in sufficiently technologically advanced settings, some modifications may be commonplace, making them cheaper or even freely given to certain weapons.
    For example, in a Old West campaign, it would make sense for every gunpowder weapon to get the "Increased Ammo Capacity" modification for free once or twice. If the game takes place in World War II, perhaps all 2-handed firearms get "Burst Fire". In a sci-fi setting, where energy blasters are the norm, perhaps every weapons gets "Elemental Damage", "Energy Conduit" and/or "Endless Charge". OTOH, in a stone age game, "Crank" weapons might be completely nonexistent or just available to the most advanced of societies.

    So it all depends on what is the setting's general level of technology. What are its "basic" weapons like? What modifications are present in 90% of the setting's modern weapons?

    It does require some GM adjudication, but at least IME, it's not too difficult to figure things out and find an agreement. While the opinion on exact numbers may differ a bit, GMs and players generally have similar views of what the setting's weapons are like. So you may have to discuss if a basic machine gun has 25, 50 or 100 shots... But no one is likely to suggest.

    For your rail gun... It depends on what kind of rail gun you want to have in your game... Rail guns are usually portrayed either as futuristic machine guns (with tens, or even hundreds of "bullets") or as powerful weapons that can only shot a few times, but deal A LOT of damage even for the setting's standards (in which case I'd give it a base ammo capacity of 1 or 3 and spend its cp in Improved Damage Die).

    I hope I could help. Once again, thank you for your interest.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-12-25 at 10:47 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Awesome Stuff
    I had a feeling that was the case. Which, in that case, here's my Tinker's custom weapon which I'm still deciding the name for. Excuse the formatting, it's from a wordpad doc, lol.


    Custom Weapon: Maul-axe Railgun
    Melee: Exotic Two Handed Slashing Melee Weapon
    Base: 2d4 19-20/X2 Slashing
    Modifications: Double (1 cp), Alternate Damage Type Bludgeoning (0 CP), Chop (2 CP), Blaster (3CP)
    Modified Melee: 1d12 20/x3 Slashing (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo: 1) OR 2d4 19-20x2 (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo 1)

    Ranged: Exotic Two Handed Bludgeoning Ranged Weapon
    Base: 1d10 20/x2 Bludgeoning 60ft (Reload: Standard)
    Modifications: Double (1 CP), Firearm (0 CP), Additional Damage Type Piercing (1 CP), Advanced Firearm (3CP), Increased Damage Die (1CP), Increased Range Increment x2 (2 CP)
    Flaws: Unreliable (+1 CP), Reduced Reload Speed (+1 CP)
    Modified Range: 1d12 20/x2 B/P 120ft (Ammo: 1) (Reload: Full Round) (Misfire: 1)

    Final Weapon:
    Melee Exotic Two Handed Slashing Melee/Ranged Double Weapon
    Melee: 1d12 20/x3 Slashing (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo: 1) OR 2d4 19-20x2 Bludgeoning (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo 1)
    Ranged: : 1d12 20/x2 B/P 120ft (Ammo: 1) (Reload: Full Round) (Misfire: 1) (Touch AC first 5 range increments)
    Price (according to System): 64 gp,
    Price if I ever want to give this thing to players: an arbitrary 2500 gp, because it's not as powerful as a double barrel musket per se, but it's up there.

    The reason I'm not going with a "railgun" to begin with, is because the campaign the Missus wants to play in is Ironfang Invasion, and I'm playing a Spheres of Might gestalt of their Blacksmith and Technician classes. Long convoluted backstory to get him from Torch in Numeria to Phaendar in Nirmathas, but still. As such, the technology of the setting is 'Golarion's Kitchen Sink'. I was SO tempted to have the gun be a rifle that shot electricity, but that would've changed the "Sniper rifle" aspect I was planning on.... Set the laptop down and forgot where I was going with this. Anyway, yeah, the Technician has a railgun improvement for their firearm inventions I'd prefer to him to take (removes the need for powder, and triples range increment).

    In any case, I love this system. I can't wait to see what else you come up with it for... Also, any potential ETA on a custom armor system that I recall reading you had somewhere in that head of yours?

    Have yourself a wonderful holiday and best wishes in the coming new year.
    Last edited by TheGrimPeddler; 2017-12-25 at 08:59 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Gideon Falcon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    I think it would be fairly easy to write a more specific rule for the battery/fuel rules on elemental/energy weapons than as is. Simply have the battery be represented as ammunition, with its own reload speed and capacity, that allows run time for a certain duration- say a minute or so. Or, shorter durations would combine with automatically starting at a higher ammo capacity. Ranged weaponry would either have an additional supply for the energy, in the case of Energy Strike, or have the energy built into the ammo as with Elemental Damage or an Energy Strike option.
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    I had a feeling that was the case. Which, in that case, here's my Tinker's custom weapon which I'm still deciding the name for. Excuse the formatting, it's from a wordpad doc, lol.

    Custom Weapon: Maul-axe Railgun
    Melee: Exotic Two Handed Slashing Melee Weapon
    Base: 2d4 19-20/X2 Slashing
    Modifications: Double (1 cp), Alternate Damage Type Bludgeoning (0 CP), Chop (2 CP), Blaster (3CP)
    Modified Melee: 1d12 20/x3 Slashing (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo: 1) OR 2d4 19-20x2 (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo 1)

    Ranged: Exotic Two Handed Bludgeoning Ranged Weapon
    Base: 1d10 20/x2 Bludgeoning 60ft (Reload: Standard)
    Modifications: Double (1 CP), Firearm (0 CP), Additional Damage Type Piercing (1 CP), Advanced Firearm (3CP), Increased Damage Die (1CP), Increased Range Increment x2 (2 CP)
    Flaws: Unreliable (+1 CP), Reduced Reload Speed (+1 CP)
    Modified Range: 1d12 20/x2 B/P 120ft (Ammo: 1) (Reload: Full Round) (Misfire: 1)

    Final Weapon:
    Melee Exotic Two Handed Slashing Melee/Ranged Double Weapon
    Melee: 1d12 20/x3 Slashing (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo: 1) OR 2d4 19-20x2 Bludgeoning (+Blaster 2d6 Force ammo 1)
    Ranged: : 1d12 20/x2 B/P 120ft (Ammo: 1) (Reload: Full Round) (Misfire: 1) (Touch AC first 5 range increments)
    Price (according to System): 64 gp,
    Price if I ever want to give this thing to players: an arbitrary 2500 gp, because it's not as powerful as a double barrel musket per se, but it's up there.

    The reason I'm not going with a "railgun" to begin with, is because the campaign the Missus wants to play in is Ironfang Invasion, and I'm playing a Spheres of Might gestalt of their Blacksmith and Technician classes. Long convoluted backstory to get him from Torch in Numeria to Phaendar in Nirmathas, but still. As such, the technology of the setting is 'Golarion's Kitchen Sink'. I was SO tempted to have the gun be a rifle that shot electricity, but that would've changed the "Sniper rifle" aspect I was planning on.... Set the laptop down and forgot where I was going with this. Anyway, yeah, the Technician has a railgun improvement for their firearm inventions I'd prefer to him to take (removes the need for powder, and triples range increment).
    Those look pretty cool. And they make me happy that I changed the modification's name from "Gunpowder" to "Firearm", because now it can be applied to things like railguns without making me cringe every time I check the weapon's list of modifications.

    Also, what's wrong with a sniper rifle that shoots lightning? That would be pretty badass!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    In any case, I love this system. I can't wait to see what else you come up with it for... Also, any potential ETA on a custom armor system that I recall reading you had somewhere in that head of yours?
    Gonna be honest... I have the draft of the document... But I just couldn't find much to add to the armor (without creating an overly complex system, anyway). It has a few "modifications" like DR, improved AC, higher Dex-to-AC limit, lower skill penalty, lower ASF, camouflage, fortification, gauntlets, armor spikes and... that's about it.

    It's a start, I suppose, but it's barely more than a single page. I did have an idea for it interacting with called shots, but that's more of an optional rules system than proper armor modifications.

    And honestly... It wasn't nearly as fun to design as this system (which I still update, BTW. It's just been a while since I had a really good idea for it... And I needed a break. )

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    Have yourself a wonderful holiday and best wishes in the coming new year.
    Thank you, man. You too.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-12-26 at 08:24 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    I think it would be fairly easy to write a more specific rule for the battery/fuel rules on elemental/energy weapons than as is. Simply have the battery be represented as ammunition, with its own reload speed and capacity, that allows run time for a certain duration- say a minute or so. Or, shorter durations would combine with automatically starting at a higher ammo capacity. Ranged weaponry would either have an additional supply for the energy, in the case of Energy Strike, or have the energy built into the ammo as with Elemental Damage or an Energy Strike option.
    That's usually what I do in my games, actually. Things like phasers and blasters use normal ammo mechanics, but their "ammo" is fluffed as "battery charges" and their reload is described as "changing/recharging batteries".

    Still, I included battery and fuel rules because they are present in PF, so I wanted to give players an option to use them if they wanted.
    Homebrew Stuff:

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

    well count me in the group that wants lemmy's armour emporium maybe this time we have some solid rules for bikini armors as my homebrew kinda needs is. who wants to help lemmy to finish the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •