New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default How To Handle Panic Attacks

So, today was not a good day at work. I ended up having a panic attack about four or five hours into my shift, and had to leave for home.

I don't know what triggered it, though I've been kinda stressed lately in general (and I don't know why THAT is either). But I don't like leaving my co-workers in the lurch because of my own issues.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help with these? Ways to prevent them, ways to work through them, etc.?

Thanks to everyone in advance for helping.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How To Handle Panic Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So, today was not a good day at work. I ended up having a panic attack about four or five hours into my shift, and had to leave for home.

I don't know what triggered it, though I've been kinda stressed lately in general (and I don't know why THAT is either). But I don't like leaving my co-workers in the lurch because of my own issues.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help with these? Ways to prevent them, ways to work through them, etc.?

I have/had panic attacks. I find keeping caffeine consumption down and exercising regularly helps me. My attacks were usually at night, waking up flushed with chest pains so it might be different for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I once had a doctor that told me that he wished that he could prescribe marijuana. My co-workers were getting paid overtime to shop and play golf (basically steal), and it caused some stress

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

(and I don't know why THAT is either).
    Start here. And don't think it has to be something new, stress can be like a rainstorm or it can be like a slow drip, wearing you down all the time. What are the things that are stressing you? What do you do to relax? How to do deal with the stale adrenaline (not a medical term, but how I think about it, all that fight or flight from the stress where you did neither) in your system, do you find a way to burn it off?

You can think of stress like a bucket, with a hose flowing in and a tap emptying out. If the hose is faster than the tap, no matter how slow or consistent it seems, the you WILL have the bucket overflow.

Also, don't just do something the relax and calm yourself down, find ways to calm down and de-stress and build them into your routine. Emptying the bucket once doesn't fix the problem, you need to keep the overall level of stress down either by closing off the source or find a way to speed up the emptying.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I like to surround myself with familiar and specific things. It helps ground me a bit.

I have some items around the house that are just...for things. A mug specifically for tea, a bowl specifically for popcorn, a blanket I only use to cover my eyes, etc.

I find these things comforting. If I'm up at 4 AM and can't sleep, a nice cup of tea in my tea mug helps calm me down quite a bit. I think it's a matter of knowing these things are always there. Nobody uses my mug; if I reach for it, it's clean on the shelf with the other mugs, any time I need it. I know where all these things are and what they're for, so they're "reliable" when so many other things and people are not.

This...may not help YOU, but it's worth throwing out there.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-10-11 at 09:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

[1] I like taking walks in a mall, or large store (like a Wal-Mart). Outside walks can be good as well, but I have allergies. Exorcise can help, even that of the romantic nature.

[2] Playing a game with friends can relieve some stress [active participation].

[3] Playing a computer game can often allow my to mind rest [active/passive participation].

[4] Watch a television show, movie, or listen to music that makes you happy [passive participation].

[5] Spending time with family or friends can help.

[6] Talk to someone wise, trained, licensed and/or experienced. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help you do the below point.

[7] Find ways to reframe the source of the stress. Looking at the source of the stress from another angle can be helpful.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-10-11 at 09:51 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Maybe talk to a professional, like a GP or even a psychiatrist. There might actually be a medical cause you don't know about yet.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #8

Thank you everyone for your help.

I've got work again today in a few hours, and I'm feeling mostly okay? But I'll try some of your advice and hopefully it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Maybe talk to a professional, like a GP or even a psychiatrist. There might actually be a medical cause you don't know about yet.
    I do have a psych doctor, and am on medications. But yeah, that's good advice for anyone who's not.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-10-11 at 09:53 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I do have a psych doctor, and am on medications. But yeah, that's good advice for anyone who's not.
    Have you spoken with them about the panic attack? Because that is something they need to know about and sooner rather than later.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Evil DM Mark3 View Post
    Have you spoken with them about the panic attack? Because that is something they need to know about and sooner rather than later.
    I'm setting up an appointment soon.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Aromatherapy? It's something you can do most anytime/place and usually without other even being aware. I've had co-workers use it who had "trained" themselves to relax with specific smells. So they would regularly meditate and use (say) lavender, then when they would feel anxious at work they would put some lavender oil on the back of their hand and inhale it.

Doesn't help you for today, but can help you develop a trigger and method for dealing with it in the future.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Firstly I don't get panic attacks....I'm that overly chilled out person who people having panic attacks grab onto because I seem unflappable (or wants to date fror the same reason...lessons painfully learned there)...So this is mostly stuff I've learned from people having panic attacks near or at me.

Kinda depends on the type of panic attack...

massive feelings of unease and jumpiness with aspects of catastrophic premonition that lasts for a hour or more doesn't need the same things as claw handed hyperventilation that strikes from out of the blue and leaves you huddled in corner of the lavatory for 10 minute boughts.

Generally helpful advice that I've ended up using:

something to do with your hands...both prevents self destructive bits and helps give you something focus on. which is my next point...

Focus on something...preferably something with multiple steps that has an end....what it is doesn't matter it is more about trying to push your mind through a structured system that also draws focus away from your own feelings of panic...because once you start the attack the "oh no I'm having a panic attack" becomes a reason to freak out ( you doesn't feel in control, it could cause problems at work, and a bunch of other negative aspects that give you things to freak out about...you want to break that)...also it gives you something you are in control of which can also help with panic attacks.

Music...can really help if you actively listen...as in you focus on the listening to the music...it acts as a focus to draw the minds attention (as a big part of the panic attack is likely to be the hopping around of idea a subject if it is more mentally focused)..basically let the music consume every thought you can....I'd generally recommend something more melodic or structured but that's just my experience in having to sit with people doing this...some people like a few classics some like new music they have to analyze (which kind fits into the focus on project idea above)...related to the "focus on my voice" trick bystanders can use.

Drink water if you can....this is something that can backfire if hyperventilating but otherwise often helps...
    eating simple food....you know that focus on a process I mentioned above? Finding a packet of ramen or whatever, finding bowl, adding water, microwave, finding fork, and eating is just such a process...and one of my friends relies on this extensively

Controlling your breathing...mixed results in the people around me...
    some people find it helps to center them other freak out when they can't control it super quick and it makes them feel more out of control and it just hurts the situation. Go ahead and try it but if it doesn't work don't stress on it.

if they happen a lot try to develop a mental sequence that you can use to train your own brain to tamp down the panic attack...this may be a mix of thought pattern and action...I've seen most success with a mix of breathing patterns, music, mantras, etc...just find something that works a couple times and then let the placebo effect start boosting things...The sequence worked before so if you do X,Y,Z you'll feel better...and while it isn't a replacement for doing any old thing it can really improve a moderately helpful sequence. Basically you are trying to train you own brain to have a "shut down panic" routine...may even help to practice it without panic attacks to calm down in general to get the point accross so that you can hit that button when yo really need it.

Sleep, Exercise, and eat plenty of greens ... does wonders for prevention apparently.....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

This might ONLY work for me because my anxiety is health-related and the effect might be a placebo, but I find taking an aspirin really helps curb panic attacks. Not always, but sometimes.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-10-11 at 02:01 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

In the moment, I take a few deep breathes and get a glass of water and do my best to ride it out. I know it'll end eventually and that it's just something going on inside my brain. That normally does it. If it's really bad, sitting down in a quiet place helps a lot.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Video games were always my go-to. I haven't had much time for meaningful playthroughs these past few years, though, but I'm also more socially active than I've ever been. Along with that has come a great deal more responsibility, and the pressure of simply sustaining a measure of reliability with my peers has begun to feel heavy. Without having ever consulted a professional, I'm reluctant to self-diagnose my own spates of worries as anxiety attacks, but I do know how to set them aside and focus on something that raises my dopamine for a moment until I can better focus on solutions or ask for help.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Similar to Imbalance, I'm hesitant to describe what I have as panic attacks. Though I do have some sort of anxiety, and it does get really bad sometimes. The best I can do is usually hyperventilate in some quiet corner where no one can see. Tearing paper helps sometimes. Maybe I just like that tactile sensation.

17. - Top - End - #17

So, an update:

I got today and yesterday off work, and my Mondays are always free (it's my game day). I'm feeling a decent amount better, and I'm hoping that Tuesday won't be so bad (I work at a movie theater, so the weekends are obviously real busy).

Thanks everyone, for your advice and support.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

As silly as it might be, I've got a small plush toy to hug on when I get anxious. Just having something to relax against and snuggle up to can feel like a true relief.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Having a kid triggered a lot of anxiety for me. 20 minutes of cardio 3x weekly is a good starting place, as is cutting caffeine. Getting enough sleep is important; melatonin regulation plays a part if you want to try a week of 3 mg at night and see if it helps get you into a good groove. I also highly recommend propranolol for anxiety; it's non-addictive AND excellent for migraines if you can get a doctor to prescribe it, and doesn't leave you insanely groggy like anxiolytics.
    OMG I MISSED INTERNET FORUM SIGNATURES THANK U

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

They are legalizing marijuana in my state (Illinois) in 2020. I wonder how that will go.