New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Talk to Ashiel About Anything Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiel View Post
    Wait, really?

EDIT: Hm, well I still can't do anything on the boards so maybe it's a bug?
    They mentioned a codefix to correct the redirect problem on banned accounts. I assume everyone who has been banned can now see their profile again.
    Players are like water. They go everywhere.
    So you need to cut the channels that direct them where you want them to go.
    If they try to skip the channel, let them. Cut another one ahead of them.
    Eventually, they'll take the channel. They'll even think it was entirely their own idea.
    When you try to build a dam, that's when they resent you.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TOZ View Post
    They mentioned a codefix to correct the redirect problem on banned accounts. I assume everyone who has been banned can now see their profile again.
    Makes sense. The Paizo forums have a lot of technical and quality of life issues (editing and formatting being the #1 IMHO, but I've also spotted little bugs here and there, such as discovering a - eventually patched - method for editing your posts anytime after making them). In any case, I'm glad they're improving them.
    You are my God.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

15 hour flight back to the states...

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite parts of traveling? I look forward to reading responses in 15 hours or so... Hopefully.
    Founding member of the Cult of Ashiel

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Exclamation Re: Talk to Ashiel About Anything Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Tels View Post

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite parts of traveling? I look forward to reading responses in 15 hours or so... Hopefully.
    Favorite: Seeing new things, scenery and people or revisiting beloved things, scenery and people (specially family).
    Least Favorite: Loading/Unloading my luggage... I ****ing hate it!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2016-10-07 at 08:53 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Favorite: Coming Home
    Least Favorite: Everything else.

I dislike going places.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Do you use color maps or simplified, pencil-drawn ones when running your games?
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiel View Post
    Indeed. To better tomorrows!
    German is one of the languages I just find enthralling to listen to (even if I don't understand much if any). Japanese, and Russian also sound so good to me.
    I think that's the first time (nah make it the second time, read once an article about a chinese student of german philology, but he mostly fancied the saxonian dialect) that someone likes the sound of the german language. I often hear we constatntly sound angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Does anyone know what program people use to create their customs avatars around here?
    Inkscape is a popular choice, it's what I used.
    You can find links to tutorials for several programs in the first post of thisthread.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you think all this clown nonsense about might be part of, or started as, a promotional stunt for the "It" remake that has gone horribly wrong? Or even worse, horribly right?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Do you think all this clown nonsense about might be part of, or started as, a promotional stunt for the "It" remake that has gone horribly wrong? Or even worse, horribly right?
    Meh... The way I see it, the whole thing started with a couple coincidences and then turned into a silly self-fulfilling prophecy.

Creepy clowns aren't something you see everyday, so when 2 or 3 happened (or at least attracted media attention) in a relatively short time spam, it was called an "epidemic" and other hyperbolic terms. And, of course, once it attracted the news, people became hyper-aware of clown-related news and some idiots decided to be part of it, so they started dressing as creepy clowns...

Therefore increasing the media attention... Therefore increasing the number of idiots dressing as clowns... Therefore increasing the media attention... Therefore increasing the number of idiots dressing as clowns...

And on and on it goes until the fad fades away.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2016-10-09 at 03:24 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Plus IT's studio already stated it's not related to them.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just came across this anime that I wanted to share called Ghost Stories. I've only watched the first episode, but... my god, this is gold. I'll just leave a link to this blog that does a good job of explaining the history of the show and why the English dub turned out the way it did.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Ghost Stories is ****ing hilarious. Gag dubs that turn mediocre shows into great ones deserve a medal. IIRC this is why that ine YuGiOh ripoff I can't quite remember the name if was so much better in English, they turned it into a parody of those kinds of shows.

13. - Top - End - #163

Okay, so the Hurricane has passed and I have power / internet. Time for responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tels

Favorite Part: A mixture between experiencing something new and coming home (because I'm a homebody).
    Least Favorite: Probably scheduling as a group, because for some reason traveling always makes my family pissy and irritable.

Quote Originally Posted by Klara Meison"
    Traditionally quick pencil sketches and many of them were horrifically ugly. Back as a teenager, most of my maps were drawn on the fly in real time and much of it were things like Xs, Os, and squares doodled on a piece of paper. The paper often didn't even have graph lines, I just marked little legend-lines somewhere to give a loose idea of distance (such as " |----| = 10 ft. ").

These days, a friend got me a rollout mat that has squares and hexes on it, and I usually use spare dice for representing NPCs, badguys, and objects on the field. Really, it's super trashy. When GMing on MapTools my maps are better though.

Let's just say that whatever the reason people play with me, it's not my beautiful cartography skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tels
    Not really. I'm with Lemmy here. I think it's our (horrible) media being sensational, which encourages copycats.

I just came across this anime that I wanted to share called Ghost Stories. I've only watched the first episode, but... my god, this is gold.
    Ahhh, ghost stories. I was actually talking about this anime and the hilarious events behind it, while on vacation. My brother, his girlfriend, and I, were discussing english dubs that were good or in rare cases better than the originals for various reasons. This one of course came up.

Speaking of dubs, while I haven't watched the entirety of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie in original japanese, I have to admit I was extremely disappointed in the final battle between Ken, Ryu, and Bison (or Vega for the japanese purists). The english version was just so much more epic and the music which was completely different set the feeling better. The original Japanese version plays a soft and slow melodic track which feels really weird and not as artsy as I think they hoped while watching the three beating the stuffing out of each other.
    You are my God.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Does anyone know what program people use to create their customs avatars around here?
    Someone beat me to the program name and everything, but an interesting and wonderful feature of this forum is a whole series of threads dedicated to requesting custom avatars (particularly ones based in the OotS style). They have rules on how you request things, and you don't necessarily get to choose who fulfills that request, but it's a placed filled with many talented artists and friendly people. I can't link to it yet since i'm technically new, but the way to get to it is go to the "arts and crafts" sub-forum, and click what should be the first stickied thread. It says request an avatar on it.

EDIT: It's the same link that previous person replied with. But yeah, you can request free avatars using that thread if you're too lazy/feel like using another artists work with their blessing.
    Last edited by TheShippingMuse; 2016-10-12 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Someone beat me to part of it

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Ghost Stories is ****ing hilarious. Gag dubs that turn mediocre shows into great ones deserve a medal. IIRC this is why that ine YuGiOh ripoff I can't quite remember the name if was so much better in English, they turned it into a parody of those kinds of shows.
    Dragon Half is a good example. Watched the dub, laughed my ass off. When I got the DVD and had access to the original audio, everything was flat and lacked the character of the English voice actors. You could really tell that they had a blast dubbing it.
    Players are like water. They go everywhere.
    So you need to cut the channels that direct them where you want them to go.
    If they try to skip the channel, let them. Cut another one ahead of them.
    Eventually, they'll take the channel. They'll even think it was entirely their own idea.
    When you try to build a dam, that's when they resent you.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Will you be taking part in this Dreamscarred Press bundle sale?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    that one YuGiOh ripoff I can't quite remember the name of
    Duel Masters! That was the name!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

I...wow. How long does this thing last for? I gotta get it

Quote Originally Posted by Klara Meison View Post
    Not Ashiel here, but I do neither of the above: I will take a board game and use its board as a make-shift grid when necessary (I prefer to describe stuff rather than trying to use miniatures and/or colored tiles to present what the world is like). That's when I need a grid...in non-d20 systems I greatly prefer to play grid-less.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOZ View Post
    It was a rather weird bug, because it undercut Paizo's "whether someone is banned is Top Secret" party line. Anyone who knew about the bug could easily tell when someone was banned, but Paizo continued to insist that the status of being banned was a secret.
    Now, at least they are honest.

And since Paizo allows bumping of old threads, now it would be possible for a determined individual to dive through the thread history of Yellowdingo and Shallowsoul, and bump a bunch of their threads

Favorite part: seeing people I don't normally get to see face-to-face.
    Least favorite part: seeing people I don't normally get to see face-to-face.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

My group has a 6 ft. x 3 ft. plexiglass board that we carved 1 inch squares in to. We've since cut the board into two equal sizes to make it easier to transport. We use dry erase markers to draw out buildings. We play at our local hobby store, which is owned by a member of the group, and there is lots of terrain there built for Warhammer/Warmachine games over the years that we make use of as well.

[Edit] This guy spent nearly 5 years making a fantasy kingdom in Minecraft: Link.

And here I was a little proud for building Castle Scarwall from Curse of the Crimson Throne :(
    Last edited by Tels; 2016-10-12 at 09:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Now that I know about it, a resounding yes.
    You are my God.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

If you were caught by a god of duality and given a choice to be transmuted into a half-human creature(such as mermaids, centaurs, driders and so on-creatures with half of their body being human, and half not) which type of creature would you choose?
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey Ashiel, can I ask you about something I am working on?

I am trying to make a Google Sheets based character sheet so that I can use/give to friends a character sheet that doesn't annoy the &%$ out of me for various reasons (like every other sheet I have seen), and I have got the first page semi-ready. I would like your opinion on how the styling looks, and how functional you think it would be. Anyone else can chip in too, of course.

PDF link

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If you were caught by a god of duality and given a choice to be transmuted into a half-human creature(such as mermaids, centaurs, driders and so on-creatures with half of their body being human, and half not) which type of creature would you choose?
    Dnd version of Lamia. The basic cat one, not the Matriarch. Not that I mind those. Can haggle over Harridan status :p.

Also I'd totally get that bundle if I didn't already have all the books in there that I am interested in.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmmm, Gorgon? Any form that is basically the lower half of a snake...
    The problem i have with this is how many medias have em different, you have the Warcraft version of the Naga basically being upper body humanoid with snake tails, while the D&D version of the naga is just a snake with a humanoid head.

The other two interesting choices would be of the sphinx and drider setups.

*sigh* the inconsistencies of fantasy creatures over media is making it hard to describe characters, especially if you want to go for a setup that gives the right image, but they are not named that in D&D.
    Spoiler: Currently DMing:
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DracoknightZero View Post
    Hmmm, Gorgon? Any form that is basically the lower half of a snake...
    The problem i have with this is how many medias have em different, you have the Warcraft version of the Naga basically being upper body humanoid with snake tails, while the D&D version of the naga is just a snake with a humanoid head.

The other two interesting choices would be of the sphinx and drider setups.

*sigh* the inconsistencies of fantasy creatures over media is making it hard to describe characters, especially if you want to go for a setup that gives the right image, but they are not named that in D&D.
    Blame their origins. The Naga are a Hindu mythological entity, a species of snakes who could turn into men, or just half snake wait down and man waist up, usually with a cobra hood. They were also commanded only to bite those who were evil, or would soon die anyways. The problem arises is that mythology itself changes depending which era you're talking about. Egypt is one of the most easily presented examples, as their ruling god changed several times, and their great evil changed as well. This is usually due to societal shifts.

Originally, their god of evil was Apep, a great snake who sought to swallow the sun. Meanwhile, there was also the god of chaos, Set, who represented not bad things, but foreigners. But as Egypt became embroiled in more and more foreign battles, over time Set became the god of evil and Apep kinda got fazed out. Another example is Bastet and Bast. Once Bast was one of the greatest of dieties in Egypt, but eventually her priests lsot power, and their mythology shifted, renaming her Bastet, as a lesser diety and such. This happens a lot in a lot of myths.

Hell, look at Vampires. Even ignoring everything after and including Bram Stoker, you've countless examples of weaknesses and strengths.

In a sense this can be a strength too. Means that you can be creative with your version of a creature.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Zilrax View Post
    In a sense this can be a strength too. Means that you can be creative with your version of a creature.
    Yeah, the vague sense of mythos and the variants over the ages can allow you a lot of freedom in making of monsters... but its a pain in the arse if you are trying to go for a look in a setting and the setting have the wrong variant.

On the other hand, i must admit my knowledge in old egypt mythos is rather weak, its kinda sad really as mythology is pretty fun.

I have more insight into Norse and Greek/Roman mythos, mostly Norse because Norwegian :P
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, the vague sense of mythos and the variants over the ages can allow you a lot of freedom in making of monsters... but its a pain in the arse if you are trying to go for a look in a setting and the setting have the wrong variant.

On the other hand, i must admit my knowledge in old egypt mythos is rather weak, its kinda sad really as mythology is pretty fun.

I have more insight into Norse and Greek/Roman mythos, mostly Norse because Norwegian :P
    I explained Norse, Greek/Roman, and Egyptian mythologies, in a nutshell, to some people once. They told me I was weird and so were those gods.

28. - Top - End - #178

I explained Norse, Greek/Roman, and Egyptian mythologies, in a nutshell, to some people once. They told me I was weird and so were those gods.
    Well i have to say the old mythos made more sense of the chaos in the world with all of the weird personalities the gods have, the monotheist mythos is weirder imo.

Hey if you and i sat down to discuss mythology we would sit there all week, the old myths are interesting as hell ( or Hel if you like ) not only because they are interesting stories, but also that they kinda explain sometimes why we still have some words and sayings around.

As a history nerd, there is a lot of history in old mythos
    Last edited by DracoknightZero; 2016-10-14 at 06:21 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well i have to say the old mythos made more sense of the chaos in the world with all of the weird personalities the gods have, the monotheist mythos is weirder imo.

Hey if you and i sat down to discuss mythology we would sit there all week, the old myths are interesting as hell ( or Hel if you like ) not only because they are interesting stories, but also that they kinda explain sometimes why we still have some words and sayings around.

As a history nerd, there is a lot of history in old mythos
    I think it was more to do with the relationships the Gods had with each other. Like Zeus running around sleeping with anything that lives, including his own grandmother and raping his sister, or Loki turning into a female horse, mating with another horse, and giving birth to an eight-legged horse.

Stuff like that.

30. - Top - End - #180

I think it was more to do with the relationships the Gods had with each other. Like Zeus running around sleeping with anything that lives, including his own grandmother and raping his sister, or Loki turning into a female horse, mating with another horse, and giving birth to an eight-legged horse.

Stuff like that.
    So basically that all gods took levels in bard at some point?
    Show