New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Designing Custom Pantheon for a D&D World Need Holy Symbol Ideas

Designing a custom Pantheon for my own setting, and have the majority of them figured out, as far as who they are and what they reside over, as far as domains of power and role in the cosmos. However, I am having trouble with coming up with ideas/descriptions of what their followers would use as a holy symbol. I came up with a few ideas, but hoping you guys might hae other perspectives.

Note: A majority of these Dieties are not original. I borrowed from a LOT of different pantheons in the real world and from the various Dieties & Demigods from multiple editions, and renamed/changed things to suit my setting.

Cairidan the Forge-Father, God of Craftsmanship, Artisans, and Fire

Pretty much a combination of Haephestus from the Greek mythology, and Imhotep from the Egyptians. If you are any sort of a craftsman from a lowly carpenter to a master sculptor, you would like pay homage to Cairidan. Also, he is rumored to be the Progenitor of the Forged race (refluffed Warforged in the setting) although these rumors are considered heresy to the Followrs of the God of Magic, who presides over the Knowledge of how to build Constructs.

Current Holy Symbol Ideas: An Anvil wreathed in flames, A Blacksmith's Hammer, Smith Tongs and a Hammer crossed into an X across a stone slab

Aresius, God of the Barbarian Tribes, Open Warfare, and Glory Upon the Battlefield

Aresius is basically Kratos from God of War if he would settle down and stop murdering everyone. He possesses a very Spartan-esque personality, although visually he is closer to Bonan the Barbarian than Leonidas. The closest thing I can find visually to be similar to him is the Barbarian from Diablo 3, although he would be much younger in appearance. Aresius isnt worshipped nearly as often in the heavily civilized areas of the setting, although mercenary bands and professional soldiers do tend to favor him, as well as his sister, the Goddess of Honor and Justice. He does have a larger following on the borderlands, where the less civilized tribes of nomadic Barbarians follow him as their patron War-god, many emulating his look and fighting style out of respect.

Current Holy Synbol Ideas: Two Battle Axes crosses over in an X, A single large Axe with Blood over the Blade

Cerrunos, God of Wealth, Revelry, and Fertility

An amalgamation of Dionysus, Bacchus, and Balder al rolled into a single God. Whether you are a Hedonist, a wealthy Noble living the lifestyle, or even some of a lesser calling stealing what you can to get whatever enjoyment from life you can, you likely praise Cerrunos to some degree.

Holy Symbol Ideas: A Goblet full of Wine, a Golden coin with a bearded man smiling, an decorative mask with a sly smile

Gaia, Goddess of the Land, Sea, and Sky; Protecter of the Natural World; Mother Nature

Pretty standard concept. Gaia is the protecter and Guardian of everything outside of civilization. All wild animals, whether on land, sea, or in the sky are under her watch. She looks over farmers and crops, causes the seasons to shift, and ensures the natural world stays the course. She can be equally cruel and oppressive since Nature is often fickle and uncaring, but everything she does happens for a reason.

Holy Symbol Ideas: A Celtic Triskele symbolizing Land, Sea, and Air; a Tree or Leaf, a Cornucopia

Hydranos, God of the Oceans, Watcher of the Waves, The Great Helmsman

Pretty much a rewritten Poseidon and folded into a God of sea-faring merchants and Sailors, Hydranos ensures that anyone who makes a lively hood upon the waters of this world are watched over. Fishermen, Royal Navies, Pirates, and any underwater cultures are heavily influenced by Hydranos. He also is in control of the domains of storms such as Hurricanes, Cyclones, and other great disasters, but never intentionally will he wipes out a coastal village who has not openly provoked his ire. He often acts together with Gaia to balance out his great Storms so that those affected come out for the better if too much is lost.

Holy Symbol Ideas: A Compass, a Trident within a Wave, a Thunder Cloud with Lightning Bolt

Macaria, Goddess of Life and Death; The Angel of Death; The Eternal Midwife

Macaria is a Goddess with perhaps the most duplicitous aspect of power in the whole setting. She governs over both the life giving nature of fertility and mortal reproduction, as well as the gathering of the dead and dying at the moment of their deaths and ushering their souls into to the afterlife, whether heaven or hell.

She views herself as more of a Shepherd than as a Goddess, and often is depicted in murals and artwork as such. There are some of her followers who only observe one side of her faith, focusing entirely on either the Life or Death aspects of her teachings, which isn't strange, but often these people disrupt the cycle of natural life and death, causing one side to become unbalanced until she must take action to bring it back in line.

She abhors the practice of Necromancy, and both of her aspects believe that Undeath is a defilement of everything that she teaches and all of the work she does across the realm of mortals. She also is quite strict with allowing the dead to return to life via any sort of Raise Dead or Resurrection magic. She believes that the Dead must stay dead, and unless you are one of her faithful, or under go a great burden for her upon your return to life, she will likely not allow your soul to return to life.

Holy Symbol Ideas: A White Lantern with Golden light (Life), a Black Scythe (Death), a Lamb and Wolf chasing one-another (Both)

Morwynn, God of Magic; Keeper of Ancient Knowledge; Master of Golemcraft

Pretty much Merlin, Gandalf, and any other all-powerful old crotchety wizard types all rolled into a single God. It is his job to ensure that magical power stays in check, as well as make sure the Leylines that pass under the material plane remain free-flowing to keep magical power balanced across the whole realm.

He also Chronicles all of the history of the Realm since it was first molded by his fellow Deities and the first sparks of life were started on its surface. He has only recently began to expand his domain to include to creation of artificial beings, Constructs, such as Golems, Homunculi and and such creatures as the next step in Life's evolution.

His followers claim that the race known as the Forged were Morwynn's masterpiece, fully living beings composed entirely of artificial materials, but the followers of Caridan oppose this strongly. No true answer is known, as one day several centures ago, many small groups of 'Forged' started filing into the metropolises and villages all across the realm with no explanation of where they came from. Only seeking a place to stay and offering any sort of aid they were capable of in exchange.

Holy Symbol Ideas: A fancy Tome laying open, a partially unraveled Scroll, a spiraling spell effect

Tarubeth, Goddess of Justice and Honor; The Grand Protector of the Realm; She Who Stands Before the Darkness

Tarubeth is the Goddess charged with the most dangerous of all roles in the grand pantheon. She must protect the realms of mortals against the ever threatening darkness from beyond, so as not to let their evil and corruption take root in the Material Plane. She is also the Patron god of many Paladins, Guards, Magistrates, and any other person who values Law and Order above all else.

She is loosely tied to several bands of mercenaries and travelling warriors, although she has no direct power over open warfare. She does pose as a moral figurehead for honorable combatants and those who take pride in the accomplishments of a well-fought battle.

Holy Symbol Ideas: An Obviously Holy Sword with Angelic Wings or a Sunburst radiating from the Hilt, A Sword surrounded by golden light emblazoned on a shield
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Designing Custom Pantheon for a D&D World Need Holy Symbol Ideas

In situations like these, I like to imply that there is an interesting story behind each holy symbol.

For instance, you got the god of barbarians with axes as his holy symbols. Well that sounds really too straightforward, implying this guy was simply invented to be the god of barbarians rather than having coalesced from the myths and legends of ancient warlike peoples, whose stories built him up over time, who experienced miracles and disasters they attributed to him.

Instead of having his symbol be axes because he hits dudes with axes, how about something like... a bleeding ear.

In times long past, the legendary ancestor of the civilized people cut off the ear of the legendary ancestor of the barbarians. The reason why the civilized peoples have more knowledge and expertise today than the barbarian peoples is because their ancestor was able to hear the wisdom of the gods. The bleeding ear symbol reminds the barbarians of the ancient grudge against the civilized people who deprived them of their birthright (this grudge they avenge by cutting the ears off of the civilized people that they slay). It also reminds the barbarians that they live and die by the senses. Because they do not have armies in shining armor, they have to open their eyes and ears moreso than their foes, and strike when their foe does not hear while being cautious to hear their enemy's approach.

You don't, of course, tell the players off the bat about these stories that you have crafted in your mythology, unless it makes sense for them to know. But prepare them beforehand for when your players come across the right situations and your world will appear the richer for it.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

3. - Top - End - #3

BarbarianGuy

That is certainly an interesting idea, and I like the thought of the "bloody ear" concept. However, I was trying for something more fitting or similar to other holy symbols like in the various PHBs and sourcebooks across all the different editions. Having a blood ear waved in the air while casting a spell is nice and all, by a medallion bearing the likeness of a pair of axes, or a shield with an angelic sword, or a staff tipped with an open book evokes the thought process of "hey, that person has a holy symbol of *insert diety here* !" which is what I am going for with this.

The bloody Ear story can still be a thing in this scenario, just I dont really want my Barbarians to be scalping or removing ears from every random derp they butcher on the battlefield. And honestly, I think I sort of misrepresented Aresius and his "Barbarian" followers. They are not primitive bloodthirst brutes who do nothing but fight and butcher one-another over livestock or women. They are just a proud lineage of independant tribes who live outside of the setlled lands with walled cities and advvanced "for the time period" technology. They would rather live a simple lifestyle free from civilized laws and taxes and government intrusion.

Also, the setting is loosely based on a custom refluff of Eberron, as far as technology level and architecture is concerned, so, with sky-high cities with magi-tech trolleys and skycoahes, having a landlocked "primitive" faction of extremely proud and stoic warriors makes them plenty "Barbaric" when confronted by the people from technology land.

I am pretty much building this entire setting up from the bedstone, based on pre-existing things I have seen from any of dozens of different fantasy settings. So going rather simple with a Holy symbol, without having to also invent a dozen minor legends or stories as to why so-and-so carries a bloody ear to cast spells is mostly a time-saver. But I did enjoy the thought in the idea, I am just not trying to go that deep.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I'd think a chain of ears would work better there. Harvesting trophies. Though I'd go for something more epic, like a giant fang.
    Note that the symbol is not literal - I would assume your forgefather priest isn't carrying a burning hammer everywhere. Your symbol being a necklace with mutiple "beads" of trophy-symbols (carved of wood for the poor, cast in metal for the well off, actual body parts for the savage).

But remember it doesn't have to be obvious to the players. "You see X, the symbol of Y, god of Z." Explaining why Y uses X as a representation of Z gets into some world-building and myth-making.

I'm a big fan of actual things - carved and cast and decorated details, rather than a picture painted or stamped on a pendant. An old acquaintance of mine is a big fan of holy symbols with a long bit - it gives you a proper handle for brandishing against evil.

The Smith's sign as a hammer (the tool of creation, which is carried out into the world) with flame motifs. A device (shield) version would be the hammer wreathed in flame. The Anvil is rarely carried about - it stays at the forge - this is the style of your altar.

Barbarian wargod: The bloody axe is a good start. Is he known as a dual-wielder? having crossed bearded axes would be good here, otherwise a two-bit battle axe. the blades are enameled in red. For something rounder, use a broken shield as part of the backdrop - axe head up, half-shield down. I still like framing this with a pair of teeth - representing some monstrous foe. If you really want to emphasize war, use a sword. Picks and Axes are tools, arrows and spears can hunt, a knife has many uses. The only purpose of a sword is fighting.

Horn god - Coin represents monetary wealth. fruit represents prosperity. A wreathed coin is a start (grapes, olives, holly, knock yourself out). Properly, the wreath is the frame for a 2-headed coin - the smiling jovial man (prosperity and fun), and the wrathful man (the dark side of drunkenness, prosperity into greed). Bonus points to bring some satyr imagery in. Or you could skip the coins, and use an open wreath, a circle. Or a bowl. A holy symbol that is also a functional cup is fitting.

Gaia - Triskelion. I like it. Fancy versions add precious stones at the center of each spiral. jade/malachite/emerald (earth), aquamarine/lapis lazuli/sapphire (water), quartz/alabaster/diamond (wind)

Hydro - A whirlpool/hurricane symbol would be good. Stick an eye in the center. Add a trident if you need a handle.

The Grey Lady - I'm a fan of scales. The heart and the skull in balance. If you want to move away from agricultural reference, scissors or another blade tool gives you a tool for bringing life (cutting the umbilical cord and death (cutting the thread of lithe, Atropos style). Working in some Fates traits might not be a bad angle.
    I like the use of a lantern. A two-sided shuttered lantern. One side silver or white with an amber lens, the sign of life. The other of oiled bronze or black, with a blue/bluegreen/violet lens - the beacon leading souls to their final rest. Reverse as needed. high-ranking priests get continual light/flame cast on a small stone which is mounted inside - hence the shutters.

Magic - Book, Eye, Key -having, seeking, or unlocking knowledge. Using a Rune as your foundation is good here as well.

Paladin Goddess: Focus on the Shield over the Sword, with the sunburst pattern. This makes a nice contrast to the weapon-based symbol of Warfare. The shield becomes a symbol associated with the city watch and constabulary.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

5. - Top - End - #5

For Macaria, an hourglass would be a simple enough symbol

Or perhaps a black and white coin (If it lives, it will die. If it can never die, it was never truly alive)

6. - Top - End - #6

I like animals for barbarians. Wolves. Horses. Bears. Stags. Animals that represent primal strength. An axe is ok, but it's a tool. Tools are civilized. Use tools for the forge god.