New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default A Funny Baby Question

Would you name your baby boy or girl called Pokémon Go?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A Funny Baby Question

I wouldnt, but im certain there are people stupid enough to seriously do that to their child.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

100% no. however i know people that might

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

When I say that I think doing this (along with similar names) should qualify as a form of child abuse, I'm not exaggerating much.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I know a few years ago there was an offer from Bethesda, where if you named your child Dhovakiin they would give you pretty much every one of the games they ever made. Apparently one woman did it. I have no idea how young Dhovakiin is faring these days.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seems reasonable. Their going to put you in a home, you might as well put them through years of bullying and depression.

Yes, this is sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

No, no, and no. That's basically putting a permanent 'bully me' sign on their back, as well as implying that you do not care about them enough to give them an actual name.
    What I would do, however, is put an ad up on EBay, that a company could pay for ME to legally change my name to their company name. The money would go to the child's education fund.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-09-22 at 07:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Flemkopf View Post
    I know a few years ago there was an offer from Bethesda, where if you named your child Dhovakiin they would give you pretty much every one of the games they ever made.
    More restrictively, the kid had to be born on the day Skyrim was released (Nigel Tufnel day, 11/11/11).

And even then, "Dovakhiin" is not nearly as bad a name as "Pokemon". If you haven't played Skyrim, you probably wouldn't even recognise where it comes from - and frankly, as a name it wouldn't be that out of place with some kids I've met.

"Pokemon", on the other hand: I know people say "yeah, I totally know people who would do that", but until you can find a documented case where it's actually, legally, happened, I'm thinking "no you don't, you just despise some people enough to think they would".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Robin and Linda Williams named their daughter Zelda. A couple of Frank Zappa's adult children are Moon Unit Zappa and Dweezil Zappa. There are people willing to use highly unusual names. Pokémon Go wouldn't be the strangest one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Robin and Linda Williams named their daughter Zelda. A couple of Frank Zappa's adult children are Moon Unit Zappa and Dweezil Zappa. There are people willing to use highly unusual names. Pokémon Go wouldn't be the strangest one.
    Zelda isn't that weird a name. Moon Unit is absolutely ridiculous though. Dweezil is just odd.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Even though they named their child after the game, Zelda is still a legit name. Just because a name appears in a video game doesn't make it less of a name.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Even though they named their child after the game, Zelda is still a legit name. Just because a name appears in a video game doesn't make it less of a name.
    I don't think using a word like "legit" for names works at all, since it implies there are names that aren't "legit".

Can a name coincidentally resemble something from geek culture, but have another origin? Absolutely. The names I listed, though, are recognizably taken from geeky sources, and are certainly not in common use.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't think using a word like "legit" for names works at all, since it implies there are names that aren't "legit".

Can a name coincidentally resemble something from geek culture, but have another origin? Absolutely. The names I listed, though, are recognizably taken from geeky sources, and are certainly not in common use.
    Zelda is a historically used named, then. Better? Also, any people with a historically used name that is recognizable through geek culture does not mean they are recognizable taken from geeky sources. If Robin Williams hadn't said he named his daughter after Princess Zelda, I wouldn't have thoughT it, because Zelda is a historically used, real name (unlike the others you listed). Hell, if anything, I would assume the name to be more related to naming people after Zelda Fitzgerald.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-09-23 at 01:15 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's fair to describe some purported names as illegitimate. A few years ago a New Zealand couple tried to name their child "4Real". They were informed that that was definitely not legit. Other names rejected by authorities in New Zealand include "V8", "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii", "Number 16 Bus Shelter" and "Anal".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I think it's fair to describe some purported names as illegitimate. A few years ago a New Zealand couple tried to name their child "4Real". They were informed that that was definitely not legit. Other names rejected by authorities in New Zealand include "V8", "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii", "Number 16 Bus Shelter" and "Anal".
    New Zealand is a nice place, but not an authority on naming conventions that I (or most people outside the island nation) recognize.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Robin and Linda Williams named their daughter Zelda.
    Zelda was a name way before The Legend of. It was semi-common in the early 20th century US (I don't know about other countries). I think it's Yiddish.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2016-09-23 at 01:38 PM.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

A couple of Frank Zappa's adult children are Moon Unit Zappa and Dweezil Zappa.
    There is also another brother named Ahmet and a sister named Diva.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zelda is a historically used named, then. Better? Also, any people with a historically used name that is recognizable through geek culture does not mean they are recognizable taken from geeky sources. If Robin Williams hadn't said he named his daughter after Princess Zelda, I wouldn't have thoughT it, because Zelda is a historically used, real name (unlike the others you listed). Hell, if anything, I would assume the name to be more related to naming people after Zelda Fitzgerald.
    Actually, princess Zelda was named after Zelda Fitzgerald. Make of that what you will.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Zelda was a name way before The Legend of. It was semi-common in the early 20th century US (I don't know about other countries). I think it's Yiddish.
    Already brought up and addressed earlier in the thread.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    There is also another brother named Ahmet and a sister named Diva.
    Frank Zappa had a lot of flair. Man, I miss the guy.

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

No. My last name is also some people's first name. If I ever have a son both his name's will be the same. tee-hee.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    No. My last name is also some people's first name. If I ever have a son both his name's will be the same. tee-hee.
    No joke, I legit saw a client once with that. I can't remember which name it was, just that I was amazed anybody would have done that to their kid.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

Cause Catch 22 was an awesome book. Also their signature could be Name2. My last name is Curtis. Curtis Curtis doesn't seem that damaging to me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    No joke, I legit saw a client once with that. I can't remember which name it was, just that I was amazed anybody would have done that to their kid.
    I guess the question I've always had is, if you are running a business and you see someone with a kind of joking or funny name show up looking for a job, what is your first impression? I've known of a couple of people named Phillip Peeno, and Leya Sky Walker, and I'm not sure how happy they are when it comes to job interviews.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Frank Zappa had a lot of flair. Man, I miss the guy.
    We seem to have different definitions of "flair". Zappa would name his child Pokemon Go, simply in order to tell the world to fornicate itself. Whether the child would appreciate the gesture was irrelevant to him.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #26

I guess the question I've always had is, if you are running a business and you see someone with a kind of joking or funny name show up looking for a job, what is your first impression? I've known of a couple of people named Phillip Peeno, and Leya Sky Walker, and I'm not sure how happy they are when it comes to job interviews.
    If I were to give my kid a silly name, I would make sure to either only do their middle name, or to at least give them good, strong initials to use instead of their name. I know a guy whose first name is 'H'. He goes by his middle name. For that matter, my grandfather went by his middle name (thought he shared first names with his father).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I guess the question I've always had is, if you are running a business and you see someone with a kind of joking or funny name show up looking for a job, what is your first impression?
    Yeah, I've been there. Well, almost - I wasn't running the business, but I was running its recruitment.

And really, I'd say plenty of people have weird names. You can't tell anything from that. Anything at all. They are exactly as likely to be good as people with the most ordinary names you can imagine. I know, if you think your name is silly - and let's face it, probably about one-third of everyone privately thinks that - then it seems like it's blighted your life, but trust me on this - it's not that big a deal.

For example, I know someone who shares their name with a common, quite unglamourous item of clothing, because the name in question is Chinese, and that's just how it's rendered in English. It didn't stop me marrying them.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    More restrictively, the kid had to be born on the day Skyrim was released (Nigel Tufnel day, 11/11/11).

And even then, "Dovakhiin" is not nearly as bad a name as "Pokemon". If you haven't played Skyrim, you probably wouldn't even recognise where it comes from - and frankly, as a name it wouldn't be that out of place with some kids I've met.

"Pokemon", on the other hand: I know people say "yeah, I totally know people who would do that", but until you can find a documented case where it's actually, legally, happened, I'm thinking "no you don't, you just despise some people enough to think they would".
    I don't think anybody would be so cruel as to literally name their child "Pokemon", but a quick Google search seems to confirm my initial suspicion that a number of parents have been inspired to name their children after particular pokemon.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ive got a friend who's first name is the same as his mother's last name (and also my last name, though we aren't related so far as I know).
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #30

I once met a girl whose last name was my first name. My marriage proposal was ignored.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight