New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A Tale of Okeanos [IC]

Valos of the Deep Trenches

"Siaka," Valos echoes morosely; the bad blood between Siakal and Zhuzhiao rises to the forefront of her mind. She opens her mouth to speak, but the dogs' disturbance cuts off the words on her lips. She narrows her eyes and, after a quick jerk of her head, swims off after the startled stewards.

As she travels, Valos wills her armor to take on its natural shape to better advertise her readiness to receive unsavory guests. 'The dogs would not react that way to a welcome visitor; it must be another stranger at the threshold. I shall greet them with my full splendor!'

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Leaving the honors of first reaction to Dian; a weresquid in plate armor ought to make a good impression. ;-P

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Akeakamai's Sanctum (Dian, Blue, Valos)

Blue's guide pauses, and then licks her face. <Yes. We help you find Master. Then big dragon-sister keep Master safe.> More of the curs cluster around the Lunar and her guide, apparently on board with this plan. The first cur blows out a spray of foam and bubbles, and wags its tail. <Now?>

~

Outside the sanctum, the curs approach Dian warily, circling him. Close up, he can see that their tongues are split many ways, like strange corals or the tentacles of a squid; their "fur" is green as kelp. But their behavior is much like that of mortal guard-dogs. They begin herding him toward the gap in the coral wall -

- and then suddenly, another being emerges in that gap, apparently from nowhere.

The upper half of her body is that of a human woman, but of enormous size, with arms like tree-trunks. Her hair is a mane of indigo and violet shadows; the skin of her hands and face is likewise dusk-colored, where it does not gleam bright with delicate arcs and whorls of silver. But her human torso gives way to the long, graceful tentacles of a giant squid, dark as the sea at midnight except where the moonlight-silver tracery shines through. Great gleaming plates of moonsilver sheath the stranger's form, flowing effortlessly from shoulders to torso to tentacles; they do not seem to hamper her movement at all.

So much Dian has time to see, before his heart seems to skip a beat - and for a moment another image fills his eyes and seizes his mind, a waking dream that sweeps away all else.

Spoiler: Dian
    Show
    The city is white and gold within its crystal domes, and the sky stretches green and blue and violet to the rippling mirror-silver surface far above. Silver shapes flit through that vast void, small pleasure-craft piloted by citizens. On another day, a warship might glide by, majestic as a whale among a pod of dolphins, but such visits are rare. This is not one of the great ports of the Western Ocean, just one of uncounted peaceful bubble-cities floating deep in the sunlit sea.

[So much he knows as if he’s always known it, as if he learned it in his cradle; as he knows the names of the Great Houses of the Scarlet Dynasty.]

But not like any other city, for She is here.

He is walking up steps of pale marble now, beneath those towers of white and gold, and the Other is running to meet him, her smile as glowing as the curve of the crescent moon. He steps into the circle of her outstretched arms and holds her close, and they stand still for a moment, breathing in heart’s ease with the end of their long parting.

Duty kept him at the center, trying to salvage what he could — but in this moment he wonders why he didn’t fling it all aside years ago, leave his peers to their poisoned golden games.

Ah well. They are together again now, and the lost years are nothing compared to the ages of their lives yet to come. There will be duties here too, of course, and tasks to grind down this joy - but he knows he will always hold close the memory of this moment, this pure and perfect contentment, at being once more where he was always meant to be.

Then the waking dream is gone, that moment of warmth and light and pure happiness vanishing like a pricked soap-bubble. The curs and the squid-woman have not moved, as best as he can tell; the moment was only a moment, it seems, in the real world as in his mind.

~

Valos dives through the gap, swimming strongly, the dogs carrying her across the invisible threshold. She bursts through into water that is cooler, with less of the taste of life in it.

The brine curs are circling the intruder - a young man, entirely human in appearance, tiny compared to her might. Yet he hangs in the water comfortably, despite his breastplate of dark bronze made green-hued by the water, and he appears to be breathing. Metal gauntlets cover both hands, the fingers sharpened to points. His feet are bare; his sandals are looped through his belt. His skin is tanned, his hair flame-red, his eyes brilliantly green.

And there is the strangest feeling of familiarity about him - like someone she knew from her earliest childhood, but hasn't seen in many years. But he surely can't be Squalus, with that hair.

For a moment she tastes a strange savor in the water: like winter’s chill, and blood, and iron. As if that familiarity tugs on some memory sunk deep in abyssal depths, beyond easy reach; at the bottom of the whirlpool, where grief and secrets settle. It awakens a brief tug of yearning in her - for her true home in the deeps, where she belongs.

Only a moment, and then it is gone; the water is warm again, and tastes of nothing but salt.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a note, while meeting one's mate seems like it should be noticeable (especially when a strong Past Life background is in play), if anyone feels constrained by what I wrote here, feel free to ask me to edit it. But hopefully this gives you some ideas to work from without being overly prescriptive of reactions.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2016-11-21 at 12:09 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oh. Well. That was unexpected. And what the hell was that? Belatedly, Dian realized that he had been staring like some type of slack jawed idiot. That simply would not do. The normal approach didn't really seem appropriate right now either...

Dian manages to straighten, and produces a relatively proper bow, despite being underwater. "Hello, pleased to meet you and all that. Now, I'm assuming you're here to find Akeakamai as well? If not, well... perhaps I can convince you?" The inquiry ends with an odd semi-quaver and a slight wince from Dian. Oh Dragons, it was REALLY hard to get a good throaty purr underwater. Regardless, his smile is easy and open, with perhaps the slightest touch of ill-concealed something as well.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Valos gasps and shudders in spite of herself; her heart jumps with surprise, fear, and some strange longing she cannot quite place. However, it is gone before she can make heads or tails of it. What she finds certain, however, is that there is more to this red-headed man than it initially seemed.

Her lips press into a firm line as she silently circles the stranger. 'Human to the eye, and yet able to remain here so far below the surface without any sign of discomfort. Clearly he must have some magic, all the more for bewitching my heart so. I would say he is likely a god, but no acquaintance of Akeakamai. '

She jets back to her original location between him and the passage to the inner sanctum. Spreading her tentacles wide, she solemnly intones, "I am Valos, scion of the High Princep of the Deep Trenches. It is on his authority that I have come to visit Akeakamai. Identify yourself and whom you serve." She lets an unspoken threat hang in the water between them.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Keeper had tucked a vodonik tooth into one of the many folds of his robes and was contemplating his next move, only absentmindedly acknowledging the pouch of pearls the priestess pushed their way. ‘It might take hours to reach and then thoroughly search the sanctum, and the pearl divers won’t be returning until evening anyway.’ he thought; ‘So it seems the more prudent choice to go directly to the Old Man of the Sea and petition his advice. Moreso if he is the only as-yet unexplored avenue of inquiry.’ The difficulty would be in making the journey: he could not impose on Laughing Gull’s hospitality to such a great extent, and the man could not have known to prepare for such a venture into open sea anyway. He considered the man with the Coral accent and the sickeningly naïve attitude — how had he made his way here? — but it took him little more than a moment of this before he started weighing the merits of simply swimming the distance. It only occurred to him how much time had passed when a most unwelcome visitor burst through the priestess’ front door.

It was at such times that Keeper was grateful for his mask; without it, the look of naked hate on his face would have surely made the proceedings even more difficult than they had just become. As is, there was nothing to see but a façade of blank stoicness and the ever-so-brief flash in his eyes in the instant between his losing control and regaining his composure. In response to the Immaculate’s introduction, he said: «Not at all, O Prince of the Earth,» in the most formal High Realm he could manage, with the most graciously humble tone of voice he could muster. «My—» he shot the briefest of sideways glances towards Riarde, taking an equally brief pause before continuing again «—companion and I surely have no business more important than that of one of the honorable Immaculates.» To Azure Wisdom, he said, “With your leave, priestess, I think we shall pay a visit to your elderly friend.

Or at least have the good sense to discuss it somewhere else,’ he thought.

Show
    CONDITION
    Essence 41 / 53, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 10 / 10
    Personal 15 / 16
    Peripheral 26 + (11) / 37
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2016-12-01 at 12:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Okay. This was more familiar. No sudden visions, thank the gods for that, and threats from supernatural beings was nothing new. Fun? Fun. Something to settle these damn nerves at least... "Dian! And pleased beyond words to meet you, my Lady. May I call you that, by the way? Wouldn't want to offend. And right now, I serve a priest from the Island. But between you and me, it's more a whim of the moment kind of thing."

As he speaks, Dian moves as well, subtle flicks of his arms and feet propelling him up to slightly below a standard jogging pace, his course a slightly tightening path around Valos. If Dian noticed the threat at all, he certainly didn't react to it, instead taking the time to examine the massive being in front of him. "Ummm. Not to be rude, but who is this High Princep again? I can't say I've ever met anyone by that name." Ah. Good. The unsightly gaping seemed to be under control. Why was talking to an attractive weresquid who could either throw him into random hallucinations or was connected to the Old Man somehow like a normal person so damn HARD?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

'Irreverent. Crude. Ignorant. If he is a god, this could be an act or a cleverly constructed insult. Still, I must not stoop to his apparent level, lest this be some secret test of character - the gods are prone to such things.'

Valos gently floats off to the side to allow Dian's passage. "That is but one of my master's many titles. You may know him as Zhuzhiao," she says evenly.

"Tell me more about this priest whom you serve; I have only just arrived in the area myself on my master's orders, so I am not privy to any local spiritual disturbances, and disturbance there must be if you have been sent to seek out Akeakamai as I have."

She watches Dian carefully for any reaction to her words. 'My sister is likely still inside the sanctum conversing with the other dogs. I need not mention her to this stranger, though would that I could send her a message about him.'

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Azure Wisdom nods calmly to Keeper, but it does not take great perception to see the sudden flaring tension in her muscles. "I am sure the old man would be glad to see you; he has so few visitors. It is some way to his home, so you should get started."

"Although I do not know what business would bring one of the Dragons' Chosen here," she continues to Shi Mi. "With respect, honored Immaculate -" And it does not take great perception, either, to hear the edge of suppressed anger behind the polite words, "We can take care of ourselves here; your offer of help is appreciated but unnecessary. I am sorry you made the walk from town for so little purpose. I was not aware of any Dragon-Blooded on Petraya; are you recently arrived?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Ye Thuza

The Sidereal sweared in her mind. It was obvious to her that Dragon-Blooded were not welcomed here. She was considering for a moment to cast aside her magical disguise and state her business as herself, but that would be too complicated - at least socially, not pohysically, obviously. But since she had said "A" she should said "B". That follows naturally.

- Priestess, I want you to reconsider. I suppose you do not like me or what I am representing. This is understandable given our philosophy. I also know that my sister in faith from the local temple was very... she did not like your father. But that does not matter. What does is that the people on this island can starve to death if we will not do something. Our aim is common, so should be our efforts. I offer you all my Immaculate power and training. It would be foolish and selfish to refuse only because we have some differences. Think what you will think of me, but I want to genuinely help you and your people. We do not know what happened to the doplin god and what resources will be necessary to overcome obstacles on our path. You do not have to like me, although I did not do you any unkindness. But I am afraid if we have to bring your father back, we have to cooperate. - said Shi Mi.

Then, slowly, as if he were afraid to startle the priestess, he hold up his hand, ready to shake hers.

- Will you let me help?
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Serve is a bit of a strong word. She was asking for help, so I offered it. Regardless, she is Akeakamai's daughter. Her shrine is located on a rather pleasant atoll back that way." Dian jerks his head back in the direction of the island.

Well, he seemed to have calmed down by now, but something about the way this woman was speaking seemed off. Could just be old fashioned, but "my master?" "The priest you serve?" Why in Creation would I serve a priest?. Odd. Extremely odd. Intriguing, to be sure, but odd. "Well then milady, I answered your question, now I get to ask one too. Did you notice anything a bit... odd a bit ago? Just now really, basically as soon as you showed up here."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Akeakamai's Shrine

For a moment, it seems that the priestess' black eyes are softening, that she might be willing to listen. But then - as the door swings closed behind Keeper as he leaves, with a last glance over his shoulder at the little tableau inside the shrine - her gaze hardens again. She pointedly keeps her hands at her sides.

"Illustrious sir," she says, biting off her words, "if you have not yet managed to track down my father, be assured I will not help lure him out for you."

"I know what your help means. Your 'kindness'. Oh, you'll feed us and protect us and provide for our spiritual well-being - provided we recite your texts that tell us never to reach beyond our station, and abandon the gods of our ancestors, and bow and scrape before the Dragons' kin. Do you think I don't know what your Order teaches? What you do to gods who resist you, and the 'heretics' who worship them?"

"Leave this place." Her hands are clenched into fists at her sides. Despite her defiance, her voice trembles; she is obviously afraid. "You are not welcome in this temple, or on this island. If you want to help, if you want to prove you're not just waiting to hurt or kill my father as soon as he emerges - that's what you're trained to do, in your monasteries, isn't it?" She takes a deep breath. "Then leave Petraya. And get your 'sister-in-faith' out of here as well. We will take care of our own."

Spoiler
    Show
    Social attack comes back the other way! She's trying to persuade Shi Mi to leave peacefully. And since prayer requires high-difficulty Charisma + Performance rolls, she's reasonably good at it. She is also channeling Conviction and spending some motes on the Excellency.

Spoiler: Decide on defenses before reading this
    Show

(13d10)[4][5][5][7][4][8][1][6][6][3][10][3][2](64)+1 success
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Ye Thuza

Hm... she should have seen it. The priestess was serving to the god who was getting to much prayers - something that Dragon Blooded sooner or later would have "repaired". She has the very point - about gods, heretics, about all of it. If Shi Mi was a real person, he would have not be able to convince the woman about his good intentions.

Furtunately, Shi Mi was only an act.

Ye Thuza has made a simple, yet powerful gesture, casting aside both her illusion and a destiny she was wearing. Now she was herself again - and speaking with the very authority of Yu Shan.

She was of middle height, pale as marble with rose-red lips and long, beautiful, dark, shining hair. She has also eyes deep and blue like an ocean. She was one of the most beautiful women anyone ever saw.

- Welcome, priestess - sha said in a soft voice - I am sorry for shocking you, but I am afraid that Shi Mi never was. I fully invented that person - she smiled - My true name is Ye Thuza, I am a Sidereal Exalted and serve under Venus in the Celestrial Bureaucracy, Bureau of Destiny.

My mission here was to gather some information about rogue Sidereal who would have to do something bad. But when I got here, I realized that problems with your father are far more important - at least for the local community, so I changed my priorities. I had my first "disguise" because I did not know what happened here, also it was good because my Sifu teaches Immaculate Martial Arts which I learned from him. If I had known what situation looks like I surely would have different "dramatis persona" for this mission. Oops, my bad.

Although Shi Mi never was, his intentions - my intentions - were true. I really want to help you and your father. Shi Mi was speaking with the voice of Realm and Immaculates, but I speak with the voice of Yu Shan. I'm sure Heaven would like for this island to remain as it is.

I'm afraid that if your father will not return, you all can starve to death - or fall into hands of someone who will "priovide" food for you. Who will that be? Guild of slavers? Realm's ships? Maybe some Deathlord? If you want to survive, your only choice if to bring the doplin god back. I am here to help, as an agent of Heaven.

Also, I would like to give you a short lecture about Sidereal politics. We all cooperate and are each other mentors, friends and coworkers. Hovewer, due to some prophercy, in ancient times we have diveded into Bronze Fraction and Golden Fraction. Broznes stand behind Realm, The Empress, Immaculate Philozophy and Wyld Hunt. Golden ones want to bring Creation back as it was before the Uzurpation - it is, before Dragon Blooded stoled the world from Solars.

Personally, I am of Golden Fraction. I have nothing to do with Realm - with the exception I was born on the Blessed Isle and know Wood Dragon Style of Martial Arts.

Will you let me help you now, when you know who I truly am and what I am representing?

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Valos frowns - she likes the new arrival less and less with every word out of his mouth, and it shows. "A daughter, you say. I suppose she would be the natural one to approach in a situation like this."

She shakes her head both in response to Dian's question and in an attempt to clear her thoughts. "As I mentioned earlier, I only just arrived myself. This was my first destination, and I was not here long before the dogs indicated your arrival. If odd occurrences are what you seek, your own presence is foremost in my mind; before that I had been investigating the sanctum here, where there is some evidence of foul play. Alas, I lack the forensic insight to make much of it. Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will prove useful."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

His first instinct, when an Immaculate Monk showed up, was to reach for the firebombs. His second instinct was to delay this for the consideration of the lady priestess, she being disinclined to have her home burned down, and then he could have a nice jog after the Monk and alter her essential configuration in a more southernly manner when there was no one to complain.

Then...

ggkh. Good-looking was one thing. This...

His flustered state lasted a long moment, and he acted on instinct.

"You're representing the heroes of Heaven," says Captain Riarde, removing his hat with a bow. "What else is there we have to know? What you say about the island's fate is absolutely true, and I see no reason why we can't all work together to save the lives of the people of Petraya."
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, I'd be happy to take a look, but fair warning, I am absolutely the wrong person for the job." Ohhh the curiosity was actually starting to bother him now. Unfortunately, this Valos seemed a bit... stuffy? Uptight? Old-fashioned? Regardless, she'd probably take it the wrong way. "But, if you don't mind another question, what about my presence is odd exactly? It's the speaking underwater, isn't it." Dian conjures an comically morose expression. "People always get so put off by it, but I always say 'listen, the alternative is a WHOLE lot of gagging.' I mean, I can swap to that if you prefer, but salt water disagrees with my lungs."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Akeakamai's Shrine

Azure Wisdom stares at Ye Thuza for a long moment, her lips moving soundlessly as she struggles to absorb that flood of information.

Riarde's reaction seems to snap her out of it; she shakes her head (but not in disagreement, more as if she has something stuck there that she's trying to dislodge). "Er. Yes. That was not what I was expecting, but..." She studies Ye Thuza, and manages a weak smile. "It's certainly an improvement. I have heard only a little about the agents of Heaven - but if you oppose the Immaculates and wish to help restore my father, I'm certainly not going to argue." She slides a large white tooth across the table to Ye Thuza. "This will let you breathe underwater, if you set it beneath your tongue. And... well, if you and Captain Riarde intend to work together -" She nods at Riarde, "perhaps it's best that he fill you in on the way? I've already shared what information I have with him."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2016-12-06 at 11:59 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"That, among other things," Valos says stiffly. "You have the look of a human, but are clearly something more. I have seen little else of note in my short time here; I had in Akeakamai's sanctum for only a little while before I came out here to investigate what had riled up the dogs so."

She casts an eye about her to see if the dogs had calmed down any. "If anything, it would seem that you are the more informed between us. I should like to hear what Akeakamai's daughter had to say."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Ye Thuza

Sidereal smiles, as she takes the tooth from the priestess - Thank you Azure Wisdom. You will not regret that.

- Captain Riarde, yes? - she cast a glance at the Solar - Pleased to meet you. Can I ask who are you? Certainly someone capable if you are at this meeting. I just wonder how much capable. - another smile.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"All I know is that Akeakamai has vanished. Apparently the local priests don't know why, though there is another local god that might know something." Very old fashioned indeed, it would appear. More then human my foot. What human ever had to concentrate to not make a mess of a bath?

The curiosity was quite overwhelming now. What was she? She had the look of a moon chosen, but it was hard to be sure. And if she was, why serve what sounded like another god? ""Lady Valos, if you don't mind a personal question from a near stranger... What are you? I'll... try to offer some explanation in exchange, but since it seems we have a similar goal for now, I'd like to at least get to know you better. Besides, I'd be doing my family an incredible disservice if I did not at least attempt to know more of such an beauty."

Show
    Blunt and Tasteless Flattery Method, Goooooooooo. Rolls can go in OOC if Yatogami want's to make a social combat of it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Valos' nostrils flare at Dian's words. "I mean no disrespect to your family, but your mind deceives you if you consider me a beauty. I am a warrior and a servant before I am a woman, and my attentions are best focused on the task at hand than the trivialities of courtship. If you wish to know me, it will be on a professional basis."

She shakes her head, allowing to mood to settle somewhat before speaking again. "I was a slave once, and now I serve the High Princep of the Deep Trenches. My expertise does not lie in navigating the niceties of social interaction. Give me a boat to sail, a storm to brave, a wild beast to hunt; such are the endeavors for which I am suited."
    Last edited by Yatogami Odin; 2016-12-11 at 11:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Huh. Right. That was worded poorly. "And I mean no disrespect you your past, or the hardships that you have suffered, but I consider my compliment both genuine and well earned, though I fear you might have misunderstood the intent with which I offered it." Dian's bearing has changed completely; any insouciance vanished, replaced with a practiced and careful formality. "My family, such as it is, would accept neither of us, regardless of appearance. I say this not to engender sympathy, but because a tasteless and unexplained reference to my past appears to have been misconstrued. As such, I offer my apologies, and though I refuse categorically to retract my appraisal of you, I hope I have not caused offense, and if I have, I will do what I can to make amends." The formality hurt. It really did. But there was sincerity behind Dian's words.

"But, somehow, I see that you did not answer the important part of my question. Are you chosen? Or Anathema, if you prefer? Mutation could explain some things, but one the other hand," Dian gestures meaningfully to the massive silver plate-armor and shining tatoos. "other factors would indicate..." While his expression and tone is still formal, perhaps the slightest hint of a smile dances around the edge of his voice.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Valos frowns at the change that has come over Dian. 'This man is difficult to read. Which is his true disposition? If anything, this showing makes more wary of his duplicity than receptive to his courtesy. Would that he had spoken to me in this manner to begin with, our conversation would have gone much differently.'

She shakes her head to clear her thoughts. "I am little able to conceal my nature, so there is no need for me to be oblique. Yes, I am a Child of the Burning Moon; would that you were initiated in its secrets, you could read the stories of my deeds emblazoned upon my body. For now, I trust that you have evidence enough simply from my appearance."

"And what of you, stranger? By what powers are you traveling at my side so far below the surface?"
    she asks, turning the conversation around.
    Last edited by Yatogami Odin; 2016-12-11 at 11:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I..." No. Not now, not yet, maybe not ever. Caution still had a place, though the alternatives were tempting. "I'm afraid I can't give many of the details, but I guess you could say I'm cursed. Well <<cursed>>" here, Dian slips into Old Realm, an alternate term more descriptive in tone, more detailed in nuance. Not cursed, at least not as it was commonly used, exactly. More like placed in bonds, not tricked, not enslaved, just... not free. "is perhaps more accurate. There are perks, of course. You can see some now." Hopefully that was good enough. Please let that be good enough.

Dian was not good at lying. Not even really at direct evasion. But sometimes shear conviction and a steady smile could do the job. Now lets just hope I can keep this ****ing[/I] formal tone up![/I]

"While I can understand your curiosity, now is not the time. I don't know what may have happened to Akeakamai, but I gave his daughter my word that I would help find him. If he is not here, and there were no apparent clues to his location, we should attempt to find more information. I say we... of course, you are free to go your own way if you would prefer Lady Valos. I can examine the sanctum as well, if you prefer, but as I already said, such searches are hardly my area of expertise."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Valos broods over Dian's evasion in silence. 'An evasion it is; I tried something similar but a few moments ago. I am certain now that he is hiding something, but he has a point - perhaps now is not the time to inquire of one another, but to investigate what has transpired here...'

She pulls up short as a thought occurs to her. 'But what if he is not to be trusted? What if he is an agent of an unseen enemy, sent now to investigate the investigators? My sister and I could be in grave danger if such were the case.'

'If is true that he has come on the priestess' behalf, then it is more likely that he will be trustworthy ally, however temporarily. But if he serves a more sinister master, or if he is as deceitful as I fear...'

"...you are right," she says slowly. "We must turn our attention to the goings on in this sanctum. I shall take my leave of you now."

'...that I may find my sister and enlist her aid,' Valos finishes mentally as she swims off to search for Blue Yarrow.
    Last edited by Yatogami Odin; 2016-12-15 at 09:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

As it happens, Valos's sister is waiting just on the other side of the reef that divides Akeakamai's sanctum from the wider ocean, close enough that she would have heard if the encounter outside had come to blows. Since it didn't, she has once more occupied herself making sure that the dolphin-god's dogs aren't feeling too neglected after their master's long absence. Who's a good little sea monster? Is it you? Yes it is! C'mere!

She is not so distracted that she fails to notice the other Full Moon reappear, and propels herself towards the entrance with a casual flick of her tail. "What was it? Anything interesting?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Valos swims in so close as to almost envelop Blue within her tentacles. "Less of anything, more of anyone," she whispers hurriedly. "The new arrival looks to be a human, but shows no obvious discomfort in these waters. He can speak as well as you or I could, in fact."

"He claims to have come investigating on a local priestess's behalf - Akeakamai's own daughter. He also claims to be cursed; that was the only explanation he would give when I asked him how someone with the look of a mortal was able to reach this sanctum."

"He is presently searching about by himself. I have not told him you were here, as I am suspicious of his character. Sister, I beseech your aid in questioning him to discover his true origins and intentions."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Blue blinks, drifts back a little and glances over at the sanctum gate to see if this suspicious stranger is in evidence. "Well, all right. Don't know how much good it'll do, I'm just a..." She trails off, shakes her head at herself. "Guess I can't call myself just a sailor anymore. I'm no magistrate, let's put that way. Still, s'pose another pair of eyes and ears wouldn't hurt."

"And maybe the dogs'll smell something." She beckons one of them over, whispering in its ear before swimming towards the door to the outside world, where Valos's mysterious stranger is (presumably) waiting.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2016-12-17 at 02:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The dog-pack surrounds Blue as she swims out of the sanctum, barking and churning up the water in their enthusiasm. They regard Dian with some suspicion, but seem content to follow Blue's lead.

<Find master now?> one of them asks her a little plaintively, paddling westward before turning to look back at her.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Okay. All my limbs are still attached. Probably not too angry then. Not my worst first impression I suppose. Dian floats in silence for a few moments, enjoying the gentle push-pull of the water around him, but the sudden emergence of yet more dog like creatures and... Well hello! And no vision this time I see.

"Hmm. Valos never mentioned a plus one. Must have made her angrier then she seemed. So , I'd say don't believe any of the horrible things your... friend? probably told you about me, but then, I don't think she really had the time to go into detail. I'm Dian, and you are?" Okay. Lets just hope this time 'round went a bit smoother.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2016-12-28 at 07:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

<Soon,> Blue assures the dogs as they pass through the reef.

Outside, she is briefly taken aback by her first sight of the newcomer. Could've mentioned he was that good-looking, Valos... Not that a handsome untrustworthy stranger is less dangerous than a plain one. The opposite, really. "Blue Yarrow," she says amicably, "but call me Blue, everyone else does."

She swims forward lazily, drifting to one side so as to get a better look at him. Armored, which is an odd sight underwater; even stranger, he's wearing a cloak, swimming with that has got to be like trying to drag an anchor around with you... Not armed, unless she counts those gauntlets, which she probably ought to with the clawed fingertips and all. And very pretty. (Yes, she'd noted that already, but a second look never hurt. Just to be sure.) "Don't mind Valos, she's not the warmest sort. You mind letting the dogs take a closer look at you? Got to admit, it's a bit funny to find someone like you down here, and their say-so might make her feel a bit better about letting you in."
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2016-12-28 at 05:33 PM.