New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Where to take this

I have going a Master of Shrouds character for a current game I recently started playing. So I will layout where I am and the potential plan for the game (since we plan on going all the way to 20th level)

Currently: 28 pt buy

Human Cleric of Wee Jas
    Party Role: Party Leader & Battlefield Control / Support

Cleric 2/ Duskblade 1/ Master of Shrouds 1

Str: 10
    Dex 8
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 16
    Cha 16 (+1 from Level 4)

Domains: Magic and Planning
    Feats
    1 Spell Focus (Conjuration)
    2 Able Learner
    Bonus Feat: Extend Spell
    3 Augment Summoning

Where I initially might go with this

Cleric 2/ Duskblade 1 / Master of Shrouds 10 / Paragnostic Apostle 5/ Divine Oracle 2
    (all ability score increase from level up will go into Wisdom/Charisma)

Feats

6th Fell Animate
    9th Chain Spell
    12 DMM: Chain Spell
    15 Twin Spell
    18th Heighten Spell

The issue: Trying to get the correct feats for this character going forward for his given . As a cleric of Wee Jas, creation of Undead is only for the willing (as per campaign world). Can control Chaotic Undead, but not create them without permission. Character by personal code will only destroy an undead if the risk is too high to leave it incapacitated.

Only 3.5 non campaign specific books allowed with exceptions to Incarnum, Psionics, UA (he might bend on UA) Dragon Magic, Tome of Magic (might get him to bend on that too) and tome of battle

DM will permit rebuilds or adjustments at level 10.

the short list:
    • Looking for feats to give me the best bang for the buck
    • best spells to use for character
    • possible rebuild choices to consider
    • secondary presitge classes that will enchance what he does primarily

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Where to take this

What's the point of the Duskblade level? It puts you behind on your very-important cleric casting, and you don't even get Arcane Channeling until Duskblade 3. I would get rid of it.

If it's there for early entry, swap over to Human Paragon. You can then take the other 2 class levels later and get a free feat and a free +2 to an ability score without harming your cleric casting any more.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-22 at 10:45 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    What's the point of the Duskblade level? It puts you behind on your very-important cleric casting, and you don't even get Arcane Channeling until Duskblade 3. I would get rid of it.

If it's there for early entry, swap over to Human Paragon. You can then take the other 2 class levels later and get a free feat and a free +2 to an ability score without harming your cleric casting any more.
    That would be possible if he hadn't locked out Unearthed Arcana. The only reason I said he might bend on it, is because after the fact, I managed to convince my DM that the book wasn't as bad as it appeared.

Then again, I would have taken cloistered cleric if that were the case in having access to unearthed arcana. But since I didn't, that's why I have the duskblade level. and until I get to level 10 when I can get the mulligan to get this better, that's what I have available to me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly wouldn't say that early entry into master of shrouds is worth blowing a level on duskblade for. See if you can convince your DM to refluff church inquisitor for wee-jas, take a level in that at level 4, and enter at 5. You'll enter a level behind, but otherwise your spellcasting will be ahead of what it normally would be. Otherwise, the way you have it now, you'll be level 4 and still casting 1st level spells, only just getting your first second level spell at 5, which will feel terrible if there are any other full casters around the table.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I honestly wouldn't say that early entry into master of shrouds is worth blowing a level on duskblade for. See if you can convince your DM to refluff church inquisitor for wee-jas, take a level in that at level 4, and enter at 5. You'll enter a level behind, but otherwise your spellcasting will be ahead of what it normally would be. Otherwise, the way you have it now, you'll be level 4 and still casting 1st level spells, only just getting your first second level spell at 5, which will feel terrible if there are any other full casters around the table.
    He's not. Since that was the case, having just spoke to him earlier in the evening, he'll pour through the books again (since I made a pretty good case for allowing Unearthed Arcana) . If that is the case, the option to get a rebuild will be available at which time I'd just take the level of Human Paragon. To be perfectly square about it, the summons really are underwhelming if you go by wizards standards for getting the class. And despite having gimped myself for it, The spells I generally prepare keeps the party afloat during combat. And generally, there is only a cleric and a duskblade (since the spellscale wizard --yes I said wizard-- barely bothers to show up recently). So essentially, until I can get to rebuild the character, I gotta ride it out until then.